Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I would love for milestone to license the 4k scan of yo soy cuba they've been holding hostage for a few years now.

I would love if sony decided to let people buy their films without dumb hurdles so I could own taxi driver, run lola run, etc etc. There's a good dozen things trapped in box sets I would buy without hesitation

The guy who runs Milestone frequents forums often and confirmed both I Am Cuba and Killer of Sheep are coming in 2024. They switched to Kino Lorber for distribution and just this year we finally got six upgrades: The Sorrow and the Pity, The Edge of the World, The Exiles, Picadilly, Man Without a World, and The Spanish Dancer. Apparently there was some holdup that was finally resolved this year.

I agree about box sets. I like how Universal offered the Hitchcock 4Ks individually alongside the boxes. The Sony Pictures Classics box looked interesting, but I'm not paying that much for UHD-only without even digital codes (plus, who the hell needs The Celluloid Closet in 4K when it doesn't even have a Blu?)

FrumpleOrz posted:

Clara Bow's It from 1927. It's a shame her most known work's best version is on an out of print Kino DVD from ages ago.

Paramount actually just finished a new restoration. No idea who has it, but I'd put my money on it either being a Paramount Presents release or it got licensed to Kino Lorber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Egbert Souse posted:

Paramount actually just finished a new restoration. No idea who has it, but I'd put my money on it either being a Paramount Presents release or it got licensed to Kino Lorber.

Right on! Day one for me!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gimme my Dark Backward 4K already, dagnabbit. It has a fully stacked Special Edition DVD and everything. :argh:

pwn posted:

I Stand Alone was shot on 16mm, not sure what good a 4k scan would do...
I've got a couple 16mm 4K discs and it really helps refining the grain. Film grain off off a 4K disc is so tasty in comparison to how much of a pixelated mess the stuff can be on streaming.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
evil dead and texas chainsaw are both 16mm sources and those discs look great

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

caligulamprey posted:

Gimme my Dark Backward 4K already, dagnabbit. It has a fully stacked Special Edition DVD and everything. :argh

Surprised we got something like Rubin & Ed before The Dark Backward. You'd think the stars of the latter would make it an easier sell.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Again. Give me Hush. Give me Stranger things. Give me Midnight Mass. Give me that Hulu time loop movie about the wedding staring the mother from how I met your mother and Andy Sandberg?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, I hate that they stopped putting out UHDs for Stranger Things at Season 3... it's the most colorful and popping season. It deserves UHD w. Dolby Vision!

Also, Fargo S3 on Blu-Ray, dammit!!!

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Eagle Pennell's stuff needs a physical release in HD

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Oh yeah, and legion seasons 2 and 3 are dvd only? gently caress right off! At least expanse is getting a full series blu ray. (And Babylon 5 finally, have that pre ordered).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If any show warrants a blu ray release it's legion

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

LionArcher posted:

Again. Give me Hush. Give me Stranger things. Give me Midnight Mass. Give me that Hulu time loop movie about the wedding staring the mother from how I met your mother and Andy Sandberg?

Palm Springs is available on Region B disc if you want although I agree it should get a domestic release.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’d love to own Dogma in a format better than DVD, but we all know why that’s not happening any time soon.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

biggest need is still all greenaways in 4k/uhd. and in america for a change.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

At this point I’m just looking for Region A Blus or 4Ks of Silverado and Open Range.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Edward Mass posted:

I’d love to own Dogma in a format better than DVD, but we all know why that’s not happening any time soon.

Why?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I saw him mention how he'd love to get Dogma back on social media recently too. I guess those releases of his old movies are owned by the studios so it's out of his hands. Mallrats gets re-released a lot. (Oh right that's Universal)

Origami Dali posted:

Movies are typically edited/color corrected on professional monitors calibrated to the D65 standard for white, which will make for a much warmer color temperature than "standard mode" on consumer TVs. Most of the time, TV "movie mode" presets are closer to that standard, at least when it comes to color temp, as well as better brightness/gamma levels. It's a good starting point, but you'll still prob need to choose a warmer setting in the temp options, you'll need to turn down sharpness, turn off that bullshit motion smoothing, turn off dnr, etc. Newer TVs now sometimes have a "filmmaker mode" preset which does everything to get you as close as possible to the standard without manual tweaking and also turns off all the other adulterations too, so if you have a TV with that, it's prob the best choice.

Thanks for the TV tips, folks. For video games that still looks a bit odd to me so have that closer to the middle, but I'm trying movies on warm at the moment. The TCL S4 TV I have has several steps between full -5 warm and 0 normal as well to try, interesting indeed.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 20, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

My mans Weinstein got his rear end locked up and he owns the film outright. Kevin Smith won't pay him for it. So we wait...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s on YouTube in 1080p. Or at least 720

Doesn’t hold up but it’s got it’s moments

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah I just found a dl of it last year and made my peace on the matter. I have the DVD which is really luxurious with the extras and packaging and my KS collection is as complete as it will ever be.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

biggest need is still all greenaways in 4k/uhd. and in america for a change.

Definitely need The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover on a transfer that doesn't suck a gently caress.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I still want the Zhang Yimou wuxia films (Hero, House of Flying Daggers/Curse of the Golden Flower) in a good quality blu/4k.

While I'm at it, I also want the uncut The Grandmaster.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

While I'm at it, I also want the uncut The Grandmaster.

My god, yes please.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

pwn posted:

My mans Weinstein got his rear end locked up and he owns the film outright. Kevin Smith won't pay him for it. So we wait...

I thought Weinstein wasn't open to selling, just to be lovely

pwn
May 27, 2004

Big Mac posted:

I thought Weinstein wasn't open to selling, just to be lovely

Not sure, I know he was holding it over Smith's head early on in his downfall to get KS to defend him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIbqEE6YI7Y

Full 1080. Weinstein would have to file the takedown request with YouTube... I think it'll be safe :)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

edogawa rando posted:

Definitely need The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover on a transfer that doesn't suck a gently caress.

It baffles me that it doesn't have a Criterion release, it's one of my biggest wants. Any good US release would be great and all but I'd love that extra care. Such a good movie.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It baffles me that it doesn't have a Criterion release, it's one of my biggest wants. Any good US release would be great and all but I'd love that extra care. Such a good movie.

It's absolutely a film that should have a release by some boutique label like Eureka in the UK as well. I love the film to bits, but goddamn, it's been let down hard by prior attempts at putting it on HD.

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

All this talk of movies that haven’t been released beyond DVD reminded me of Fear of a Black Hat. I would be ecstatic if this movie ever gets a 4K or even a Bluray release, I treasure my DVD copy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The aerobics musical Pulsebeat never even got a DVD release.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are places like Amazon doing their best prices right now? Or is it next week? Hard to tell with all the sales going on.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

MacheteZombie posted:

Planning an elaborate heist to steal masters of Freaked and Freddy Got Fingered

You have my axe, especially when it comes to Freaked.

I'm surprised streaming services aren't teaming up with a MOD place to release titles on DVD or Blu-ray. Seems like an easy source of extra revenue, but that would probably mean a new deal with the creatives involved or just paying them more because of the physical release and well, they don't seem to want to do that unless absolutely necessary.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gently caress it, I’ll say it (and this is extremely on-brand for me), I want a 4K release of Aliens vs Predator: Requiem with the brightness corrected to what it was in theatres. Apparently the only way to watch it even remotely close is Australian Disney+ for some reason.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Goldmansack posted:

All this talk of movies that haven’t been released beyond DVD reminded me of Fear of a Black Hat. I would be ecstatic if this movie ever gets a 4K or even a Bluray release, I treasure my DVD copy.

"these are my angry shoes"

IFC used to play the hell out of this like 12x a month

e: tales from the hood is getting a 4k (and he apparently directed 2 more of those, who knew) so maybe it'll get a release someday. i liked it better then CB4 and that got an extensive release by kino lorber in 2021

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 20, 2023

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It baffles me that it doesn't have a Criterion release, it's one of my biggest wants.
Oh, they announced it in a Rhebus puzzle like a decade ago and it never happened. :smith:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xenomrph posted:

gently caress it, I’ll say it (and this is extremely on-brand for me), I want a 4K release of Aliens vs Predator: Requiem with the brightness corrected to what it was in theatres. Apparently the only way to watch it even remotely close is Australian Disney+ for some reason.

It was different in theaters? It’s not supposed to be that dark?

pwn
May 27, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

"these are my angry shoes"

IFC used to play the hell out of this like 12x a month

Speaking of, I stumbled over IFC last week and checked the schedule to see what films (independent or otherwise) were coming up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9vgOapkbPY

:shepface:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

pwn posted:

Speaking of, I stumbled over IFC last week and checked the schedule to see what films (independent or otherwise) were coming up

Didn't IFC air "Documentary Now?" when it came out? Jeeeeepers. Cable is bleak.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

It was different in theaters? It’s not supposed to be that dark?

It was dark as gently caress in the theaters too. The Strauss’s be lyin

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

pwn posted:

That's actually a surprising amount of diversity for a cable TV schedule these days. FOUR different shows over the course of 24 hours??

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

It was dark as gently caress in the theaters too. The Strauss’s be lyin

It was dark, but nowhere near as dark as the home releases. I’m speaking from experience, and there’s a shitload of other people saying the same thing on AvP forums. According to an Australian viewer, the Australian D+ release is markedly brighter (and closer to the theatrical version) than the Region 4 release, which is brighter than the Region 1 release, which is dark as gently caress.

Edit:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=64983.0

My Australian friend says the clips in that link match his D+ experience.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Genre creep comes for every TV channel eventually.