Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I feel weird almost wishing the pace was a little more frenetic, like in the film. There are just a few too many awkward breaks between lines of dialogue at times.

E: This isn't directed at any one VA in particular. It's a general pacing/ editing nitpick I have.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chieves posted:

I feel weird almost wishing the pace was a little more frenetic, like in the film. There are just a few too many awkward breaks between lines of dialogue at times.

E: This isn't directed at any one VA in particular. It's a general pacing/ editing nitpick I have.

It isn't an Edgar Wright film. And it wasn't meant to be.

I'm just disappointed Edgar Wright didn't voice Edgar Wrong. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Larryb posted:

Does the dialogue flow any better in Japanese then (assuming there’s a language option for it and that was the country of origin for this adaptation that is)?

The dialogue was done in English first.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

The dialogue was done in English first.

But someone just said it was a dub

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DC Murderverse posted:

The worst part was Todd deciding to be an actor with no experience and very little warning because “I’m a rock star and I can do whatever the gently caress I want”, which was really lazy and what made it even worse that it was also basically the same justification Envy gave in the previous episode so it really feels like the writers just giving up and saying “look this is what the plot needs to do”.

Lucas says in episode two he heard Todd wanted to get into acting.
Also Todd's “I’m a rock star and I can do whatever the gently caress I want” is pretty much the basis of his character, it's why he was such an rear end in a top hat in the original comics.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Larryb posted:

But someone just said it was a dub

Creator himself says it's not.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Creator himself says it's not.

Ah, nevermind then (that makes more sense honestly)

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!
Whoops, the production team has done mostly Japanese stuff with some Western stuff here and there, so I just assumed.

https://www.sciencesaru.com/english

I might've been thinking it was something like Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, another anime based on a Western IP that was first recorded in Japanese.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
All the positive discussion about Scott Pilgrim talks about how great it is the cast came back and what a good adaption it is, but for someone who has never seen anything about it before, and has no nostalgia for early the 2000s, kind of objectively how good is it?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

starkebn posted:

All the positive discussion about Scott Pilgrim talks about how great it is the cast came back and what a good adaption it is, but for someone who has never seen anything about it before, and has no nostalgia for early the 2000s, kind of objectively how good is it?

Honestly I feel it'd be a pretty enjoyable story for someone who hasn't seen the original, but some beats and jokes might go over their head.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

starkebn posted:

All the positive discussion about Scott Pilgrim talks about how great it is the cast came back and what a good adaption it is

I...think you must be looking at some very unique places

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dropping by to say that I wrote up Scott Pilgrim Takes Off from the perspective of someone who loved the books way back when.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

starkebn posted:

A lot of them aren’t really suited for VA work, and I’m not sure the plot works unless you see how it subverts the original movie.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I binged the entirety of Scott Pilgrim Takes Off in a single night and even if it wasn't an adaptation of the original comic like I was hoping it would be, I liked it. :colbert:

But I'm also a sucker for Mary Elizabeth Winstead sooooooo...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

But you've just reversed it now, Scott no longer has any real growth so things will assumedly end up the exact same only with Scott being the one to gently caress it up because he's the same idiot manchild he's always been

Scott pretty explicitly got a speedrun of his development from thr original series which they didn't beed to show because we had it already. That is like the point of the VR stuff and gim apologizing to Knives when he gets back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CubanMissile posted:

A lot of them aren’t really suited for VA work, and I’m not sure the plot works unless you see how it subverts the original movie.

The movie is not needed, you could also read the comic the movie was based on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I do think that while this show would be enjoyable on its own, you will get a lot more out of it if you have either watched the movie or read the comics.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Scott Pilgrim movie is on NetFlix and I don't think its that long.

I watched it again a few days before the show came out and I still think its an entertaining and fun movie.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

It isn't an Edgar Wright film. And it wasn't meant to be.

I'm just disappointed Edgar Wright didn't voice Edgar Wrong. :colbert:

Getting Canada's own Kevin Mcdonald for it is great though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Chieves posted:

I feel you, I keep wanting that Edgar Wright style too lol. I really like the movie because of that, its very fun and fast paced. The anime is fun too, just a bit different pacing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Larryb posted:

So is anyone in the Scott Pilgrim show besides Mae Whitman a professional voice actor out of curiosity? They don’t do a terrible job or anything but you can tell from some of the performances that a lot of them are more used to on camera work

Dunno but I was genuinely impressed with Cera's delivery in a couple of places. They all seemed decent to above average but then again I'm no connoisseur of voice acting. It's very clear that the whole crew is having a good time and that energy goes a long way i think.

Plaza's felt a little flat but I don't think that's anything to do with her performance so much as the absence of the same sort of smash cuts/power outages as whenever she yelled at Scott in the movie. Doesn't detract from anything though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

just finished scott pilgrim and it loving ruled. music was great, animation was great. i loved ellen wong's voice acting especially, and where knives went as a character

going back and catching up on the thread makes me realize how long it's been since i read the books because i cannot for the life of me remember who lisa is

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

just finished scott pilgrim and it loving ruled. music was great, animation was great. i loved ellen wong's voice acting especially, and where knives went as a character

going back and catching up on the thread makes me realize how long it's been since i read the books because i cannot for the life of me remember who lisa is

Scott and Kim's friend from high school who was clearly WAY more into him than Kim was but he was oblivious. In the book she comes back to Toronto for a bit and tries to hook up with Scott because she's feeling down about herself and wants the ego boost, which results in Ramona getting jealous.

Edit:Or was it that she was into him but he was obsessed with Envy in the past... i forget

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 20, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Just watched some clips where Chris Evans talks about filming Scott Pilgrim as the most fun he's had in his whole career, he kept wanting to just hang out with the rest of the cast even after they filmed his parts, and that the email thread with the rest of the cast is still ongoing as they keep up. Cera also says he wished filming that movie never ended and it was the best experience.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ccs posted:

Just watched some clips where Chris Evans talks about filming Scott Pilgrim as the most fun he's had in his whole career, he kept wanting to just hang out with the rest of the cast even after they filmed his parts, and that the email thread with the rest of the cast is still ongoing as they keep up. Cera also says he wished filming that movie never ended and it was the best experience.

So, what you're saying is Edgar Wright creates a very fun and healthy work environment?

Chalk up one more point in the man's favor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

The cast commentary for the movie makes it sound like everyone on the whole cast basically had the same experience. Everyone loved each working with each other and it was the highlight of their collective careers. To the point where Jason Schwartzman and Brandon Routh were like "okay, we need to break up the monotony of us praising this movie so let's start making up things to rag on it about, I know, we'll trash whoever comes on screen next for the rest of the movie, just because", and that person unfortunately in hindsight was Brie Larson, and they were both like "I feel like such an rear end in a top hat saying all these awful things about Brie", only for her to somehow accidentally piss off the worst parts of the internet for real just a couple of years later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edit: Nvm, watching Dragon Prince but been a while since last time. Show explained itself

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 20, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love how much you can tell O'Malley regrets how he handled Lucas Lee originally. He's got to be one of the top 5 characters now.

Honestly, I think one of my favorite parts of Takes Off was getting to see more of the exes and bit characters like Young Neil. Seeing Matthew Patel and Young Neil fleshed out like that was so delightful! I'm glad those actors could come back and were given more to do. And seeing Knives join the band me me really :unsmith:

This show was so great! Started re-reading the comics again after many, many years

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 20, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really dig the fact that in the end Scott still fits back into the lives of his friends, it's not just him running off with Ramona to do whatever. Knives doesn't replace him in the band, she just adds a new instrument and some less anxiety-driven management.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I didn't like the Scott Pilgrim books, I didn't like the Scott Pilgrim movie, but I love the Scott Pilgrim anime.

The thing about Scott Pilgrim is I've always liked the art and the characters but found the core premise inherently off putting, and the anime directly acknowledged and addressed everything about it I didn't enjoy in the best possible ways. I didn't see that coming, but I'm glad it happened.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rand Brittain posted:

(I asssume this is because the author realized that there's no reasonable explanation for Wallace's behavior except "he's secretly in love with Scott" and that he definitely didn't want that to be the story he was telling.)

That's kind of a shame because that would have been an interesting story.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like the movie implied he's in love with Scott with the whole "And there he is." bit, but in a way he's comfortable with the fact that it's never going to be a thing and he's happy just being his friend (but also willing to give him a kick in the rear end)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I love how Roxie was handled. That was the cutest resolution to a failed lesbian romance I've ever seen.
I TOO SING THE ROBIN HOOD SONG BADLY FOR NO REASON.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Das Boo posted:

I love how Roxie was handled. That was the cutest resolution to a failed lesbian romance I've ever seen.

I really like the fact there was no mention of "just a phase" or "bucurious". Roxie was just as legitimate a relationship as the rest.

Also the fact that Kim starts to say "I'm not into girls" then decides to give it a go because why not and then in the epilogue appears to have obtained a girlfriend.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Das Boo posted:

Specifically, she’s singing the Hamster Dance.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vandar posted:

Specifically, she’s singing the Hamster Dance.

The Hamster Dance is a sped up rendition of the main theme of Disney's Robin Hood :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxnvxtYfsd4&t=18s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's bizarre that this has come up a few times in my life, but I missed the hamster dance mania by being overseas at the time. Thus it has never successfully entered my memory banks.
That does answer my burning question of how in the holy gently caress they secured rights to use a motherfuckin' Disney song, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

It's bizarre that this has come up a few times in my life, but I missed the hamster dance mania by being overseas at the time. Thus it has never successfully entered my memory banks.
That does answer my burning question of how in the holy gently caress they secured rights to use a motherfuckin' Disney song, though.

It was literally some kid bought a website through Geocities in 1998 and threw the nine second remix of Whistle Stop he made online with a bunch of dancing hamster gifs and Disney didn't know what the gently caress to about it or even that it existed because it was the internet of 1998, digital copyright laws thankfully didn't exist yet. When the actual hamster dance song we know and love(?) today was made, Disney was like "nope, you can use the melody, but the clip is our IP, record your own version of it" and the rest is history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the single funniest joke in the show had to be his husband works... at nintendo imo