Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess 18th century news gets 18th century comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

iunno those slaughters were very 1980s, not 18th century

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Apparently he's also banned The Red Cross because they gave medical assistance to people injured in a protest against him.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If Ortega really wanted to do something about religious conservatives he’d ban Protestantism let’s be real

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i dunno how widespread it is in nicaragua but all the pentecostals in guatemala really freaked me out

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah, I really wouldn't be cheering on very much Ortega (and in terms of overall influence, more importantly his wife) is doing right now. The almost industrial scale detention and rape of people opposed to the current government deserves more attention but it's Nicaragua so people aren't really looking.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
If we're talking 18th century: the Jesuits were pulled out of Latin America because they pushed back against colonial abuses. In the 20th century they were pushing for the adoption of liberation theology. As far as Christian organizations go they're on the left end of the spectrum and aren't really contributors to reactionary sentiment.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

i dunno how widespread it is in nicaragua but all the pentecostals in guatemala really freaked me out

Latin American Protestants are almost without fail some of the worst people around

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Latin American Protestants are almost without fail some of the worst people around

Yup. There's some talk in Brazil that the neopentecostal explosion of the late 70s and early 80s was a CIA op.

It's just the kind of radioactive assholery that makes the Agency's boxers tingle, but o n the other hand, I feel like it coud not be a CIA gig because it worked super well.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

cracking down on jesuits seems like taking steps to choke off the vatican NGO-land channel and assert control of educational institutions. i very much doubt it has anything to do with the historical wrongs of the catholic church

fwiw cuba has also been more paranoid about the catholics since trump reversed course on thawing relations with them. it seems like a fairly standard regime-proofing method. the proven way to avoid colour revolution is to clamp down specifically on middle-class civil society organisations without too much violence; it doesn't upset most people *too* much, and the people who get really upset are the ones you just neutered.

Sephyr posted:

Yup. There's some talk in Brazil that the neopentecostal explosion of the late 70s and early 80s was a CIA op.

It's just the kind of radioactive assholery that makes the Agency's boxers tingle, but o n the other hand, I feel like it coud not be a CIA gig because it worked super well.

it's probably more diffuse than a direct CIA op, but i would be legitimately shocked if it turned out that the CIA wasn't actively trying to help it along somehow

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MixMasterMalaria posted:

If we're talking 18th century: the Jesuits were pulled out of Latin America because they pushed back against colonial abuses. In the 20th century they were pushing for the adoption of liberation theology. As far as Christian organizations go they're on the left end of the spectrum and aren't really contributors to reactionary sentiment.

this is especially prominent lately because of, well, Literally The Pope

jesuit who's pretty lefty for an old Catholic and as such enrages the conservatives who weren't already enraged by A) him being non-Italian or B) Vatican 2

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Milei going up to the US for an endorsement. https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1700251065000841377

In more interesting news, Mexico currently has two women frontrunners running for president, so that'll be neat. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-66737242

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Venezuela: Gov’t to Launch China-Backed Anti-Poverty Program

I uh, I guess the whole Chavistmo movement didn't work at all and they aren't just going to abandon whatever crumbs that ideology had to chase the Chinese dream now?

Even pro-Venezuelan sites like this struggle to talk about the last 15 years and seem to just settle on everything being the fault of Western interference while awkwardly acknowledging that Venezuela basically just Neoliberalized itself, and pining for the days when the government had improved poverty.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was planning on traveling to Guatemala this December and for onece decided to do some research in advacne and apparently things are popping off there. I don't speak Spanish but this is the tl;dr I came across:

quote:

The current government is attempting a coup against the recently elected president and his team, because the new elected officials ran on an anti-corruption platform and the old, incredibly corrupt powers are not willing to leave without a fight.
the blockades and closing of businesses are protests towards the old government and the wealthy elites who basically have finnanced them and other lovely governments for years

here's a longer article bythe Guardian:

quote:

Thousands of protestors have blocked roads across Guatemala in surging demonstrations to support the president-elect, Bernardo Arévalo, after the country’s highest court upheld a move by prosecutors to suspend his political party over alleged voter registration fraud.

Arévalo, an anti-corruption crusader who won a landslide victory in the August election, has denounced the suspension as a “coup” aimed neutralizing him before he takes office in January, and his supporters are demanding the resignation of the prosecutors responsible. Street blockades that started this week grew from 14 on Monday to 58 road and highway blockages Friday.

Arévalo and electoral authorities had challenged the suspension of his Seed Movement party in late August, arguing that the allegations of voter or registration fraud are criminal charges and that by suspending the party the prosecutors were intruding on electoral issues.

The constitutional court ruled Thursday that even though the case involves criminal accusations, prosecutors can impose measures that have electoral effects.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/06/guatemala-protests-president-elect-bernardo-arevalo

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 7, 2023

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1711432344358576240

He's not lying, but for the sake of everyone's sanity I will not post the evidence to this thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1711432344358576240

He's not lying, but for the sake of everyone's sanity I will not post the evidence to this thread.

I'm glad to hear that, it belongs in the political cartoons thread.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Peruvians mad that the new Paddington movie where the bear revisits his homeland will be filmed in Colombia.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/05/paddington-in-peru-legislation-film-industry

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/schmidtsam7/status/1713923060242235608

Whelp, I guess the US is offering to normalize relations with Venezuela on the condition of free elections. Might end up a poo poo show over definitions of "competitive election".

I've also heard buzz that Senator Bob Menendez is a key person in maintaining the embargo on Cuba so if his indictment over being bribed with Egyptian gold ends up kicking him out, we might see normalized US-Cuba relations too.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/schmidtsam7/status/1713923060242235608

Whelp, I guess the US is offering to normalize relations with Venezuela on the condition of free elections. Might end up a poo poo show over definitions of "competitive election".

I've also heard buzz that Senator Bob Menendez is a key person in maintaining the embargo on Cuba so if his indictment over being bribed with Egyptian gold ends up kicking him out, we might see normalized US-Cuba relations too.

Seems pretty meaningless. Does Maduro even have a legitimate opposition?

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/venezuelan-opposition-skeptical-maduro-will-follow-through-election-deal-2023-10-16/

More questions than answers and on a short timeline like that, seems unlikely.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Being real here, the move is only nominally about being pro-democracy - it seems more likely that the point is to add a bit more oil to the international markets now that it is clear that Russia isn't changing course on ostracizing themselves from the US/EU.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BougieBitch posted:

Being real here, the move is only nominally about being pro-democracy - it seems more likely that the point is to add a bit more oil to the international markets now that it is clear that Russia isn't changing course on ostracizing themselves from the US/EU.

russia desperately wants its oil on the world market, this is a saudi hedge

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i fly airplanes posted:

Seems pretty meaningless. Does Maduro even have a legitimate opposition?

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/venezuelan-opposition-skeptical-maduro-will-follow-through-election-deal-2023-10-16/

More questions than answers and on a short timeline like that, seems unlikely.

he's been quite successful in suppressing it and, in fairness, it turns out the leadership weren't very smart either; people correctly make fun of guaido for becoming a caricature but they were losing steam as a serious coalition even before Maduro made his new """transitional""" better parliament with blackjack and hookers

venezuela is currently firmly a one party state and if you're really charitable it's in the sense where any actual politicking happens in the PSUV-and-friends primary

i figure the next step is Maduro/PSUV going "look, we got 70% of the vote and only banned one or two leading opposition candidates per race, what more do you want?!"

too bad we don't seem to have any venegoons still posting, alas

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Yeah, too bad, how do you think that happened

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
What a country (Argentina)

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

Mr. Nemo posted:

What a country (Argentina)

1 day in argentina= 30 years in any other country

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Argentina is a great place to live if you aren't getting paid in pesos.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Argentina is a bigger Uruguay but with crazy politics and bad economy instead of legal marijuana

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/26/argentina-bts-k-pop-victoria-villarruel-javier-milei?s=08

Best country ever

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
https://twitter.com/el_pais/status/1718251518544183404?t=kFOcDARVEV-RECjGUa7a1w&s=19

Milei looking mad..

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Some people are saying that he was wearing an ear piece and people where talking into it. However, there are other videos circulating of him giving speeches in a public setting and he starts making comments about "loud voices and whispers that keep trying to distract him"

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Christ he looks like poo poo in that video. End of a coke binge kinda vibes

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

he's been quite successful in suppressing it and, in fairness, it turns out the leadership weren't very smart either; people correctly make fun of guaido for becoming a caricature but they were losing steam as a serious coalition even before Maduro made his new """transitional""" better parliament with blackjack and hookers

venezuela is currently firmly a one party state and if you're really charitable it's in the sense where any actual politicking happens in the PSUV-and-friends primary

i figure the next step is Maduro/PSUV going "look, we got 70% of the vote and only banned one or two leading opposition candidates per race, what more do you want?!"

https://x.com/philgunson/status/1719009372175479146?s=20 Surprise!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So Milei is is pretty nuts by most standards, but recently he went all-in on praising Margaret Thatcher and shrugging off the Falklands War.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/13/javier-milei-argentina-thatcher-praise-falklands-veterans

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Google Jeb Bush posted:

That's the part I always loved the most about Maduro is that the guy has got to be a high scorer for how unnecessary his work was to obliterate democracy and install himself as chief crazy yelling guy of the one party crimetocracy. he could have just done a few more subtle things and let his opposition fall on their dicks for a while

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Milei elected in Argentina.

Guess my hosts were feeling left out of the chud train, after Trump and Bolsonaro had their fun.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Sephyr posted:

Guess my hosts were feeling left out of the chud train, after Trump and Bolsonaro had their fun.

Dude calls himself an anarchocapitalist, isn't that a fairly different flavor of right-winger than those two?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Brazil's anarchocapitalsits were all in on Bozo. They cooled off a bit on him when the promised boom did not arrive despite all the privatizations and cuts to public services, but then went all in back for the election, and lost. Now they just go "he didn't go far ENOUGH", because of course.

I suspect the same thing will happen here, only worse. Brazil, for good or ill, has a good industrial base and can maintain supply of food and goods. Argentina was hollowed out industrially first by their dictatorship and then the neoliberal Caballo economy, which exploded in 2001 and had the middle class picking through the garbage for food. How they'll able to dolarize their economy (as Milei claims to want to do) with no revenue while flipping off 'communist' China and Brazil as trading partners and firing half of public workers (the core of Argentinian middle class) is beyind me.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sephyr posted:

Lmao

Seems awful but it probably didn't help that other guy seemed also pretty bad? Being Minister of the Economy when you already have hyperinflation isn't a great look.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I'm unsure which part of Milei threatening to cut ties with Argentina's two largest trading partners will help with hyperinflation, but I'm no economist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
He’s also a staunch anti-abortionist. But he’s entirely in favor of legalizing organ trading.

The dude is a lunatic.