Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Doccers posted:

Serious question: Why do some people call what we yanks would call a "Turret", "Turrents"?

They are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Doccers posted:

Serious question: Why do some people call what we yanks would call a "Turret", "Turrents"?

I wanna say there was a typo in an RTS that said that back in the early oughts, because a bunch of my friends pronounced it that way and it drove me up the wall during Halo LAN Parties.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

calvary and turrents defending the nucular silos

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Tai posted:

Another day and another Russian assault in Avdiivka got popped. Bonus tank turrent take off too.

Are they starting an another ten day wave?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Are they starting an another ten day wave?

Two days ago the local defenders said as much.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

appropriatemetaphor posted:

At the bottom of a chazum

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Doccers posted:

It's just me typing too fast. It is a turret

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Doccers posted:

i did this when i was 9

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Doccers posted:

It’s not a non-American thing, I grew up with several friends who’d say turrent. Also, clift. I have no idea how these happen

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It’s not a non-American thing, I grew up with several friends who’d say turrent. Also, clift. I have no idea how these happen

Warshington
sherbert

It's how languages change. Pronunciations drift without any rhyme or reason.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Deteriorata posted:

Warshington
sherbert

It's how languages change. Pronunciations drift without any rhyme or reason.

... you're friends with Coach Z?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
The "Turrent" thing is Mos Def from a game, I think it seeped into peoples subconscious so we still say it, despite otherwise having relativly normal brains.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

staberind posted:

The "Turrent" thing is Mos Def from a game, I think it seeped into peoples subconscious so we still say it, despite otherwise having relativly normal brains.

If it's from a game it's from a long time ago because people have been doing it for more than 20 years. It annoyed me all the way back playing SubSpace\Continuum in 2000 at the very least.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'm certain the X games or something like that had "Turrents"
E: we have "Turrents syndrome"

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

It's also a symptom of predominantly reading words and not hearing them. See aegis in Dota pronounced with a hard G.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

staberind posted:

First time I heard it was from a friend playing Natural Selection. He also pronounced "burry" wrong.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Gonna start calling it BitTurrent now just because

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

staberind posted:

despite otherwise having relativly normal brains.

Don't be ridiculous.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Doccers posted:

because after they get blown up the turret becomes turren't

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Doccers posted:

because some people are just dumb as poo poo

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Turrent :bighow:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

staberind posted:

He goes by Yasiin Bey now. I don't know what game he was in, though.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
BBC article on Russians snitching on colleagues and strangers

quote:

"I was taught how to snitch by my grandfather who was a snitch himself," claims a woman who goes by the name of Anna Korobkova. She says she lives in a large Russian city but refuses to say which one.
Korobkova claims to have written 1,397 denunciations since Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine. She says people have been fined, fired and labelled as foreign agents because of her denunciations.
"I do not feel sorry for them," she reveals. "I feel joy if they are punished because of my denunciations."
New censorship laws were introduced shortly after the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. Since then, Korobkova has spent most of her free time online, often reporting people for "discrediting the Russian army" - an offence that carries a fine of up to 50,000 roubles ($560; £450) or up to five years' imprisonment if it is committed more than twice.
She seems to have two motives for snitching on her fellow citizens. Firstly, she tells me she believes she is helping Russia defeat Ukraine and, secondly, she thinks it will help protect her own financial stability. She lives alone and works part-time as a humanities professor, relying heavily on her savings. But Korobkova fears Russia could end up paying reparations if the conflict goes Ukraine's way and that could affect the finances of the whole country and everyone who lives there.
"All those who oppose the special military operation are rivals of my own wellbeing," she explains, predicting a win for Ukraine would be a loss for her. "I could lose all my savings and would have to get a full-time job."
Korobkova shows no remorse for her actions, instead she proudly keeps a database of people she has reported, including the consequences.
She claims that following her denunciations six people were fired from their jobs and 15 others issued administrative charges and fined.
Although Korobkova insists she targets people she believes are enemies of the state, other people have told the BBC denunciations are also being used in Russia to settle personal scores.
Fisherman Yaroslav Levchenko is from the Kamchatka Peninsula, in Russia's far east, known not just for its volcanic landscapes and extraordinary wildlife but also for its large military presence. Many people in this region are pro-Putin including Levchenko's colleagues.
In February 2023, Levchenko's ship docked at the port of Kamchatka after a month-long fishing trip. He says a fellow fisherman offered him an alcoholic drink, which he refused. He believes the other man already held a grudge against him and they ended up in an argument. Levchenko explains that he was hit over the head with a bottle and later woke up in hospital.
Levchenko says when he was discharged and went to a police station to file a report, he was horrified to learn he was the one who had been reported - not for assault but for holding anti-war views. He claims police told him there was not enough evidence to bring criminal charges against his colleague.
Levchenko was then arrested on 13 July. According to court documents seen by the BBC, he is accused of justifying terrorism, charges he denies, and is being held in prison while he awaits trial.
The only way he can tell his story to the BBC is via letters, passed through his lawyer. "Investigators state I used physical force towards other seamen… expressing intentions of participating in hostilities against the Russian Federation," Levchenko writes.
Levchenko is accused of justifying terrorism, according to documents seen by the BBC, charges he denies
Levchenko's friends tell me they think his denunciation was to divert the police's attention away from the assault against him and the fact that alcohol was being consumed on board a ship, which was prohibited.
Russian police have acknowledged they have been inundated with denunciations since the war began. Officials have told the BBC anonymously they are spending large amounts of time investigating and revising "endless charges on the discrediting of the army".
With President Putin's repeated calls to "punish betrayers" and the end of the war in Ukraine nowhere in sight, serial snitches like Korobkova show no sign of wanting to stop reporting on their fellow citizens.
"I'm going to keep writing denunciations," she writes in an email to the BBC, adding: "I have a lot of work to do."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

crab in a bucket mentality is everywhere

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

As loathsome as Korobkova is, this line really got me:

quote:

"I could lose all my savings and would have to get a full-time job."

The only job she deserves is a full-time job in a lead mine or similar. God, I want to believe this is some kind of propaganda, but I think we all know someone exactly like this, or who'd do this for real.

naem
May 29, 2011

turrents are made of alumINIIEum

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

CommissarMega posted:

The only job she deserves is a full-time job in a lead mine or similar. God, I want to believe this is some kind of propaganda, but I think we all know someone exactly like this, or who'd do this for real.

She should be reported for talking to foreighn westoid press. Anyone willing to do so is one small step from becoming a spy. She's already admitted her motivations are money, not patriotism.

I would not wish anyone into Russian prisons. Not even her, as lothesome as she is.

Burns
May 10, 2008

People like that inevitably bite off more than they can chew.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Jippa posted:

Turrent :bighow:

Lmao is this real

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

Lmao is this real

It's funny, but no it's not real. It's shopped. He's holding it right in the actual picture.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
They look like those greasey fuckers who try to sell bibles to you

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Russia is throwing a baby tantrum again, this time over Finland closing border crossings after Russian government officials, together with human smugglers, literally bussed in asylum seekers with questionable claims for asylum, who now can't be returned anywhere, since Russia refuses to accept them back.

Yle.fi posted:

Russia had ddiscussions with Finland's ambassador -- accuses Finland of human rights violations
Russia says it has lodged a complaint with Finland for the closure of the border crossings

Russia has had discussions over the border situations with Finland's ambassador, Antti Helanterä, the country's foreign ministry announced on Monday. The press release does not specify if these were talks or a talking-to, nor on whose initiative the meeting was held.

According to the Finnish Foreign Ministry the Russian foreign ministry has had discussions over the closed border crossings. Russia has not lodged an official complaint against Finland.

In the conversation RUssia protested the closure of the border crossings. In diplomatic circles, a protest is considered strong language.

According to Russia, the decision is "unambigously provocative" and follows a line "designed to further raise tensions between the two countries". Finland's reasoning of immigrants arriving and claims of Russia's part in the events are, according to Russia, "an excuse".

"The decision was made in a hurry, without any sort of discussions with Russia, which until now has been the requirement of a functional border", Russia's foreign ministry says. A notable part of the press release is that Russia is now accusing Finland of human rights violations.

"Closing the border violates the rights of tens of thousands of citizens of our countries.
"

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

On the old privateer press forums, they would auto correct calvary to Golgotha.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Russian Karens are next level

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Weaponized Karenthood.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Russia is throwing a baby tantrum again, this time over Finland closing border crossings after Russian government officials, together with human smugglers, literally bussed in asylum seekers with questionable claims for asylum, who now can't be returned anywhere, since Russia refuses to accept them back.

cry us all a river :qqsay:

naem
May 29, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Russia complains that Finland prevents thousands of Russians from fleeing from, themselves

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Russia not respecting other nations borders? Unheard of.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
On the other hand if Russia is just bussing people over into Finland and saying "you deal with it not us" I guess that's just that many less people dying in human wave assaults in Ukraine and that is good, relatively speaking I guess? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

EorayMel posted:

On the other hand if Russia is just bussing people over into Finland and saying "you deal with it not us" I guess that's just that many less people dying in human wave assaults in Ukraine and that is good, relatively speaking I guess? :shrug:

If they're doing what Belarus does, they aren't bussing them into Finland, they're taking them to the border, then people with guns and vicious dogs tell them to walk towards the border and won't let them come back.