Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

McSpanky posted:

Post the sweet non-alcoholic beverage that represents all Earth cultures equally and would be understood as such to the average viewer of a 1990s syndicated scifi drama in a first-run North American English-speaking market.

Coffee. Tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Post the sweet non-alcoholic beverage that represents all Earth cultures equally and would be understood as such to the average viewer of a 1990s syndicated scifi drama in a first-run North American English-speaking market.

Coke

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
As a non-NA person back in it's time I took the root beer thing as an "obscure and weird thing becomes a major cultural feature" joke similar to Worf being enamoured with prune juice without realizing it was just... the writers being a bit American :sweatdrop:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Coffee. Tea.

The stuff everyone already drinks all the time in half a dozen alien forms?

Already discussed, you can't use brand names and nobody but nobody orders "cola".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I live overseas, I travel a lot, and I have never once in my entire life not been able to buy a can of Coca Cola. If you are part of the global economy, you have Coca Cola. That's all there is to it.

Many countries have local versions in addition to premium Coke. Thailand has EST Cola for instance, which is a lot more similar to Pepsi, but it's still a cola. Root beer is a lot rarer and usually a specialty import item. It's very, very American.

They could easily have said "cola" to have appealed to a larger, more diverse, less American audience and gotten the same impact about humanity.

Root beer is, honest to god, a better word. It works better in dialogue than cola does. There's a granularity to the syllables that "cola'" lacks. You can stress and emphasize on it in a way you cannot with "cola". Plus, beer has an edge to it, because it implies alcohol, but we all know that root beer isn't alcoholic and is just, like, a kids drink. And we have to assume that with the universal translators and the ubiquity of the Federation and humanity, that the aliens also understand that root beer is not an adult beverage. It says way more about us as a society than cola does, but it only really works if you're familiar with what root beer is, but I think most people watching Star Trek do get that. I don't begrudge Star Trek this because it was written by Americans for American TV.

That said, I just don't think it's a great example of the show being explicitly American nationalistic. It's trying to be a clever joke for a broad audience while also giving something meaningful to the actors to work with.

McSpanky posted:

Already discussed, you can't use brand names and nobody but nobody orders "cola".

Americans don't order cola.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

CocaKloa

The primary material is Cocainium according to Data.

Perhaps we could come up with a classic formula.

Goddamn Final Mission is a bad episode 20 years later. gently caress the academy

Wesley collected a waterfall full of Picard cum and made his mom say YES and all of these events directly led to Peecards 3 seasons.

Lol also nobody misses Wesley like millions of dollars spoke over 20 years and you still want to.

Randabis fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 19, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I do not see how they could possibly do a Federation Academy show in any timeline without it accidentally being The School for Hitlers based on everything we've been shown in-universe so far.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I'm just very tired that's all, a very special Troi episode.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Just saw Tuvok kill Neelix.

I'm fine with that.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ordering a "cola" is a real Voyager move

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I agree, but that's hardly a drink and probably not between friendly in this context

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Just watch The Loss.

Like WTF I could do that too? I suppose it's just that you're loving stupid and that's why the Q broke you.

I feel as 2 dimensionsal as I do.

Chief O'Brien talks to me lol

Randabis fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 19, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

I'm in the hospital on a clear liquid diet at the moment, and "regular or diet cola" is on the menu.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

As a kid I always thought "Root Beer" was a way for TV shows to get around alcohol.
It took me a visit to the US to realize it was actually real, it's also not good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I had it once and it was weird but not entirely unpleasant, like the taste of a medicine that tastes 'interesting' rather than bad

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

No Dignity posted:

I had it once and it was weird but not entirely unpleasant, like the taste of a medicine that tastes 'interesting' rather than bad

Just like the Federation.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CPColin posted:

Just like the Federation.

lol that's literally what I said to the friend who offered it to me

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timby posted:

I'm in the hospital on a clear liquid diet at the moment, and "regular or diet cola" is on the menu.

It's too bad Crystal Pepsi isn't a thing anymore, that would have been a nice little end run around your dietary restriction.

(Also, get well soon and stuff)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
You mean Crystal diet cola

soda counts as clear liquid for most things vs like milk or a smoothie

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It's a clear liquid diet not a colourless liquid diet

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

People have mentioned it already, but there's enormous variation in root beer to the point that it isn't really possible to pass judgement from whatever you tasted.

On the matter of national or regional beverages, Rivella was disappointing. Sort of like flat ginger ale? Swiss seem to love it though?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
There’s two fast food chains in North America that have root beer as their flagship product. Both call themselves A&W, one in Canada the other in the US, they have been under different ownership for a long time. Canadian A&W has the better root beer.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sash! posted:

People have mentioned it already, but there's enormous variation in root beer to the point that it isn't really possible to pass judgement from whatever you tasted.

On the matter of national or regional beverages, Rivella was disappointing. Sort of like flat ginger ale? Swiss seem to love it though?

Need a Scottish sci-fi series where Irn-Bru propagates across the galaxy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fornax Disaster posted:

There’s two fast food chains in North America that have root beer as their flagship product. Both call themselves A&W, one in Canada the other in the US, they have been under different ownership for a long time. Canadian A&W has the better root beer.

Canadian A&W has the better everything, honestly.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

nine-gear crow posted:

Canadian A&W has the better everything, honestly.

last time I went to an A&W in the US they were all sold out of root beer, which is something that I would think ought to be impossible

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

skasion posted:

Need a Scottish sci-fi series where Irn-Bru propagates across the galaxy

Tritanium Bru: Made on Earth, from Bulkheads

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah good root beer is to die for, and people do make alcoholic root beer if that is your thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do think root beer works better for the metaphor, since it's so much sweeter and more foamy so that you can see the bubbles onscreen.

It would be funny for aliens to draw wild conclusions from random things from human culture, but it's not really much of a joke scene. Like what if Vulcans ended up obsessed with Jeff Dunham.

Fornax Disaster posted:

It's the same root beer, the two started as the same thing before the company sold off the Canadian stores so they developed independently. I think they may use cane sugar in the stuff they have on tap in the restaurants uses cane sugar as opposed to corn syrup that stuff sold in stores. The only A&W near me is combined with a KFC, which is fitting since that's another place where the foreign independently managed brand took on a life of its own even if it wasn't sold off. I think they shared a fryer so the fries taste a bit like fried chicken.

I bet Cardassians would prefer it to use corn syrup though.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Classic Root Beer Megathread: Also Star Trek Chat

Also I'm loling imagining a Vulcan obsessed with Jeff Dunham

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Atlas Hugged posted:

That said, I just don't think it's a great example of the show being explicitly American nationalistic. It's trying to be a clever joke for a broad audience while also giving something meaningful to the actors to work with.

Americans don't order cola.

Yea people here in the UK always say Cola or Coke, you don't tend to specify beyond that.

I'm not saying it's specifically american nationalistic, just it's funny that they picked SUCH an American thing when they don't normally do that. In a similar way to Zedd as a kid when I was watching the show I had absolutely no idea what it was and the scene meant something very different to me because I thought they were talking about alcohol.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

Come to the hospital cafeteria, the hospital cafeteria is fun! Come to the hospital cafeteria, don't walk, RUN!

(Hope you feel better)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Alcoholic Rootbeer is so gross. It's just a mediocre overly sweet version of the soda mixed with malt liquor or whatever bullshit to make it have an alcohol content. You might expect something brewed with anise or something Rootbeer but no they just taint a bad version of a soda.

Good root beer is so rare I just seek out the rarer but more consistent birch beer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I really wanted to like Dreadnought, but it was just so boring.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
When I was a kid (early 70s), Hires was the root beer of choice if you had to choose root beer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Alcoholic Rootbeer is so gross.

Thank you.

It is either weird tasting root beer or weird tasting liquor, but definitely not what they meant it to be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I worked at a place where the bartender would sneak us drinks and one of em always made me a root beer and jaeger, named after a dead rockstar Jim Morrison maybe? one of them dudes. Reckon if you can enjoy black licorice you can enjoy jaegar or Rootbeer. Arguably jaegar already tastes much more like what an alcoholic Rootbeer should taste like, sans carbonation.

Twice in my life I've gambled on boozy Rootbeer and it's so bad it's literally impossible to give away because everyone else is too wise to take the same gamble, even when you lie and say it's good.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

IBC > A&W > Barq's > Mug.

I will not be taking questions at this time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A good strong spicy ginger beer is the true top rare soda. I think a Cardassian would enjoy it much more, less copying and sweet, more acidic, earthy, and spicy.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Any of you from the UK don't get to be talking about how weird root beer is when you come from a country that sells Dandelion and Burdock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
When there's an episode of lower decks that's just the cast yelling root beer at each other for a solid hour we'll know that the show makers are in this thread.