Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
like im lucky i live near a cellphone store, but what happens if or when a phone breaks? apparently most people take a few days to get a replacement so several days they cant do stuff. including MFA codes?

lol this is the future. "sorry unperson your important gov. ID is in the phone that sunk with the boat, you are unpersoned"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

having an app (and subsequently a centralized database) for medical records is a stepping stone from the lovely world we live in now to a much, much, much better world where medical research is pooled, analyzed, and handled with a holistic and allied approach across all modalities.

it's the original purpose/intention of blockchain technology.

it is imperative to progress.

of course CVS should not be loving leading that charge.
but eschewing good apps just because of app fatigue is problematic. we need centralized medical records.

Lmao

Source your quotes

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GolfHole posted:

having an app (and subsequently a centralized database) for medical records is a stepping stone from the lovely world we live in now to a much, much, much better world where medical research is pooled, analyzed, and handled with a holistic and allied approach across all modalities.

it's the original purpose/intention of blockchain technology.

it is imperative to progress.

of course CVS should not be loving leading that charge.
but eschewing good apps just because of app fatigue is problematic. we need centralized medical records.
Lottery of Babylon is that you?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

like im lucky i live near a cellphone store, but what happens if or when a phone breaks? apparently most people take a few days to get a replacement so several days they cant do stuff. including MFA codes?

lol this is the future. "sorry unperson your important gov. ID is in the phone that sunk with the boat, you are unpersoned"

I look like a boomer carrying a printout of travel tickets and passes when I go on holiday but otoh more than one friend has had a phone lose charge/get stolen when they're using it for all their tickets and passes. So I'm happy to be a boomer in that respect.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I look like a boomer carrying a printout of travel tickets and passes when I go on holiday but otoh more than one friend has had a phone lose charge/get stolen when they're using it for all their tickets and passes. So I'm happy to be a boomer in that respect.

I was a nerd and had an envelope with printouts of all travel stuff when I went abroad in 2016

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I was a nerd and had an envelope with printouts of all travel stuff when I went abroad in 2016

Got my American Express Travelers Cheques

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
So since it's a common topic, question:

Can anyone offer / link to a guide to keeping an android app separated from your actual data when it's installed?
I know they typically won't run / will crash if denied permission to access stuff, so I'm hoping for a guide to setting up a sandbox for them.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Lmao

Source your quotes

hmm it doesnt look like i can, i'm really wrong about it cause theres barely any mention of it as an incepting idea that i can find

i must be misremembering some really terrible conversations

i do still think medical records should be centralized though....

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tankakern posted:

gently caress you

didn't want this buried at the bottom of last page

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Atopian posted:

So since it's a common topic, question:

Can anyone offer / link to a guide to keeping an android app separated from your actual data when it's installed?
I know they typically won't run / will crash if denied permission to access stuff, so I'm hoping for a guide to setting up a sandbox for them.

They absolutely need this on android, just a sandbox that sends the app fake names, fake phone details, fake locations, etc. I don't have to wonder very hard to figure out why the pixel doesn't have anything like that, but it's a really good idea.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe like this?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not sure how well of a solution it is, the duckduckgo browser app does tracker blockers, but it has to be "your" vpn.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Splicer posted:

Lottery of Babylon is that you?

Holy moly I haven’t heard that name in a while

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

GolfHole posted:

hmm it doesnt look like i can, i'm really wrong about it cause theres barely any mention of it as an incepting idea that i can find

i must be misremembering some really terrible conversations

i do still think medical records should be centralized though....

If they ever get around to “centralizing” them they’re gonna charge you 3X as much in monthly insurance premiums to access your own information. And your deductible will also go up.

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 20, 2023

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

GolfHole posted:

Covid forced major every government to start thinking about its own people foremost. It's hardly a mystery why a country might shift its food production so that its o own citizens benefit primarily.

Ok now I know you’re trolling lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I bought a TV last week and the default option to register the warranty is to take a photo of the registration card and text it to a random number, no fuckin thanks. In very fine print at the bottom they list the regular website.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

BUUNNI posted:

Ok now I know you’re trolling lol

Every government focused on controlling the public health emergency with almost no focus on protecting any given individual citizen from contracting COVID. This is why there were so many people saying things like “I followed all CDC advice to the letter and got COVID the very first time I went back to spin class”

It didn’t matter if you or your family caught COVID it mattered that you infected less than N people on average when you got it. Which was not what people who were willing to listen were even concerned with.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Internet Old One posted:

It didn’t matter if you or your family caught COVID it mattered that you infected less than N people on average when you got it. Which was not what people who were willing to listen were even concerned with.

That's the same thing.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
They were so focused on telling me 2+3 = 5 while hiding 3+2 from us the entire time!!!

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
My Amazon fire cube now opens to a full screen ad. No im not surprised

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Internet Old One posted:

Every government focused on controlling the public health emergency with almost no focus on protecting any given individual citizen from contracting COVID. This is why there were so many people saying things like “I followed all CDC advice to the letter and got COVID the very first time I went back to spin class”

Far as I could tell every government focused on keeping the upward flow of money going no matter the cost in lives lost.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Outrail posted:

That's the same thing.

Lol no if you didn’t want to catch covid then wear an n95 mask and don’t go around other people indoors unless you need to. Your chances of getting covid would have been much lower than people doing spin classes in the middle of a taped out circle.

If you want to slow the spread of covid and don’t care if you get it then wear a surgical mask and stay six feet from other people. If you wanna get crazy then maybe even follow CDC guidelines with a bit of intuitive critical thinking and don’t go to spin class at all.

There were people who genuinely wanted to avoid catching covid but they “weren’t going to second guess the experts” and used the CDC guidelines as an excuse to do obviously stupid things that still happened to meet CDC guidelines.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

shazbot posted:

Lol yeah it's amazing how much that thing has deteriorated in quality since I bought my first Fire TV. As has every app on it, they all run slow as gently caress and are full of ads :thumbsup:

at least the voice commands still work decently or I would have pitched it out a window by now

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
no more covid chat itt please thank you!!!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I just stick a HDMI cable into an old laptop. gently caress all these streaming gadgets and piles of useless plastic that promise and fail to solve problems that shouldn't exist in the first place.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I have a small Roku device, not sure of the exact model, but it's from around 2018/2019. It's already at the point where I can barely use it because some apps are just so slow. Max is the worst. It was already bad when it was HBO Max, but after the last rebrand/app update to JUST Max, it's unusable.

I feel like I shouldn't need a new streaming box after just four years, but I guess I do.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
I might just buy a NUC with HDMI-CEC because literally the only thing we use is Plex. But the fire tv used to be good. Why Bezos, why have you done this

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Biplane posted:

Far as I could tell every government focused on keeping the upward flow of money going no matter the cost in lives lost.

Agreed.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

I just stick a HDMI cable into an old laptop. gently caress all these streaming gadgets and piles of useless plastic that promise and fail to solve problems that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Its funny/lovely that this was the best solution in TYOOL :regd05: and its the best solution now

also i feel like a lot of the enshittification of streaming devices around 2018 or so is because Flash was discontinued, and a lot of them bootstrapped the same processors/code to HTML5. Flash was loving everywhere

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

shazbot posted:

lol why even have one, there aren't any good TV shows or movies anymore anyway, I just enjoy old stuff now, old prog rock music, old video games, old movies that were shot on film with practical erfects. It's all easy to find as :filez: too

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 20, 2023

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

Its funny/lovely that this was the best solution in TYOOL :regd05: and its the best solution now

also i feel like a lot of the enshittification of streaming devices around 2018 or so is because Flash was discontinued, and a lot of them bootstrapped the same processors/code to HTML5. Flash was loving everywhere

Flash and Silverlight both were getting sunset around that time and while I don’t know any devices that had flash UI everything has a flash or silverlight player. All the next generation replacements for these ecosystems were much more complicated and there was an increased expectation to support a ton new things in each player. Several popular commercial players were also sunset at this time and usually those people went off to JWPlayer. When you stream you may actually still be watching old flv videos from 2008 getting rendered in javascript which is poo poo.

So everything is a mix of new and legacy technologies and has been reworked to work with a new player, insanely more complicated DRM, whole 3rd party backends have came and went. Plus android is all bloated up these days and every single layer if these rickety software stacks has decided they need some sort of analytics and reporting back to their various daddies. Lawyers have gotten more adept at talking about DRM which creates new and lovely requirements… never mind that the content will be up on piratebay like hours after release no matter what you do.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

shazbot posted:

I might just buy a NUC with HDMI-CEC because literally the only thing we use is Plex. But the fire tv used to be good. Why Bezos, why have you done this

If you do this, you need to check the manual before you buy it. I just bought an N100, and the onboard HDMI-CEC was a half truth: it only supports CEC power events in bios.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

If you do this, you need to check the manual before you buy it. I just bought an N100, and the onboard HDMI-CEC was a half truth: it only supports CEC power events in bios.

Fits the thread theme

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Lol yeah it's amazing how much that thing has deteriorated in quality since I bought my first Fire TV. As has every app on it, they all run slow as gently caress and are full of ads :thumbsup:

at least the voice commands still work decently or I would have pitched it out a window by now

Yup, the Fire stick is so laggy it's incredible. Paramount app just straight up didn't work the other night even after two restarts. The slideshows during inactivity now have ads instead of just shots of the English countryside.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
someone brought up Wish, the new Disney movie in another thread - and how it's a centennial movie, and it got me thinking how depressing it is that media properties are getting so entrenched they have giant anniversary celebrations. May the 4th be with you. Ghostbusters Day. whyyyyy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

someone brought up Wish, the new Disney movie in another thread - and how it's a centennial movie, and it got me thinking how depressing it is that media properties are getting so entrenched they have giant anniversary celebrations. May the 4th be with you. Ghostbusters Day. whyyyyy.

The trailer seemed like the movie was made by an AI to weave in as many other Disney characters as possible.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

skooma512 posted:

Yup, the Fire stick is so laggy it's incredible. Paramount app just straight up didn't work the other night even after two restarts. The slideshows during inactivity now have ads instead of just shots of the English countryside.

I am on the last season of Deep Space Nine after watching it all this year and suddenly paramount app no longer works on either my fire or my android tv for over a month :shrug: gotta love it

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Paramount has consistently been the worst app on my tv

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Streaming has gotten so bad I've gone back to piracy as my main source of media, after years of not torrenting poo poo. These dumbdick media companies look at a golden goose and are like "hmmm but maybe we'll see an uptick in next quarter profits if we kill this thing oh woops nope". Make this poo poo work right, stop playing grabass with content availability, and gently caress straight off with these "ad-supported" tiers and I will happily pay a reasonable subscription fee.

I think someone else in this thread already mentioned it but Gaben was right, piracy is a service problem. But naw, lets ignore that fat gently caress that literally owns pc game distribution. Maybe instead we'll just stop producing blurays, that'll get people to sign up for D+ I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m just giving up on tv