Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I've been watching people play Void Crew and it seems like a pretty neat multiplayer space combat game. I like the general balance between 'stuff to do inside your spaceship' and 'stuff to do outside your spaceship'. It looks like fun to run around your ship desperately repairing things and flipping weapons and shields on and off to prevent overloading your power cells.

Ship-to-ship combat is kind of 'one guy flies the ship around, the other guys point their cursors at the enemy ship and fire', but it's still EA, so I might not be seeing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i wonder if Star Trek: Bridge Commander was any good.
Agreed that we need more 'subs in space' games

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's the Railjack game mode for Warframe I suppose? With a team of four you've got one person flying the ship, optionally one person operating the biiig turret, and the rest repelling boarders / doing damage-control / launching themselves into space as a fighter / boarding enemy ships to destroy them from the inside / operating the fabricator to make more ammo and repair parts / etc

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
there are a bunch of smaller turrets too for shooting down enemy fighters
idk whether in the current balance they're useless or not though. back at launch a max ranked railjack pilot could basically solo all the fighters with stuff like the missile swarm or tether bomb abilities

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

credburn posted:

Does anyone ever play these voice-chat-dependent games on public servers? I guess maybe like every few months I'll give it a shot, but it's always a hilarious nightmare of slurs and people blasting music through the headphones or little kids just screaming and screaming.

I have a good group of friends who play these games, but they refuse to use in-game mechanics like the walkie-talkie, instead just chatting over Discord, which I feel defeats the purpose :(

As for the former problem, doing poo poo like that will 100% get you killed by the critters that can hear things so it's a self solving issue. As for the latter, yeah they just need to actually engage with the game on its terms for it to be a good experience.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fuligin posted:

As a space combat game no, it's terrible.

As a vehicle for pretending you and your friends are crewmembers on a Starfleet ship it's absolutely incredible.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I loved Bridge Commander back when and revisited it about five years ago now. It’s still really cool and if you can avoid simply taking direct control, doing everything from the chair and through commands still has a really good immersive quality. If you take direct control of the ship the game basically immediately falls apart and any challenge goes completely out the window. It also, amusingly, has probably the most bog standard but at the same time well-executed Trek story out of that wash of early and mid-2000s games. Nothing too crazy, unlike Armada or others.

It finally got (at least partially?) out of Trek game IP spat hell so it’s on GOG now. There’s also a big chunk of modding available for it if you want to bring it forward a bit technically or add a metric shitton of content.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 20, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Orv posted:

I loved Bridge Commander back when and revisited it about five years ago now. It’s still really cool and if you can avoid simply taking direct control, doing everything from the chair and through commands still has a really good immersive quality. If you take direct control of the ship the game basically immediately falls apart and any challenge goes completely out the window. It also, amusingly, has probably the most big standard but at the same time well-executed Trek story out of that wash of early and mid-2000s games. Nothing too crazy, unlike Armada or others.

It finally got (at least partially?) out of Trek game IP spat hell so it’s on GOG now. There’s also a big chunk of modding available for it if you want to bring it forward a bit technically or add a metric shitton of content.

I remember this was a thing for a while too :shrug:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/Artemis_Spaceship_Bridge_Simulator/

Orv
May 4, 2011

Artemis and the official VR game are both extremely good but I dunno what any player base is like for them now if you’re not rocking a group of people.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

FuzzySlippers posted:

I returned to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw [...]

I'm assuming it did fairly poorly because it is a game that demands you play it in the exact 90s way they envisioned and doesn't really try to meet you halfway. It isn't a complex game like ED as it is fairly simple (like the old Origin space sims) but it is a very very ornery one.

It was also a one year EGS exclusive route which probably didn't help with launch hype sales.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/suZdQUf.gifv

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There are quite a few bridge crew multiplayer games but I can never convince my gaming group to play any of them. Someone make an antisocial one.

I do remember playing the old non-VR Bridge Commander game and it's a shame there weren't sequels. It felt like the rough start of a good idea that could've been refined into something great (sorta X-Wing to a never released Tie Fighter). Though my enthusiasm for the game was dampened by the setting. It's somewhat nerd heresy but Next Gen is my least favorite of all the Star Trek stuff. Beyond any problems I had with the actual show all the ships look like electric razors and the interiors never feel like a ship at all (more like a convention center). Go back to the very first pilot and that thing actually feels like a sub in space.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Fuligin posted:

Nebulous Fleet Command can be played like that. Maybe clear it with your team or even your opponents. Somebody bringing a container ship full of radar guided missiles would ruin the vibe. But a match with nothing but frigates packing expensive Hybrid-3 missiles...

It isn't a dogfighter. I think a lot of people are talking past each other vis a vis what genre they want their space adventures to be in.

Its like homeworld but with prebuilt fleets? This is a bad explanation here is a link to the thread:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There are quite a few games that let you play space tactics in a naval kinda way (Star Hammer, Nexus Jupiter Incident, etc). Nebulous Fleet Command looks like that sort.

What is lacking are games that put you in command of a single larger ship that is also immersive rather than abstracted. The way the more space fighter games aren't about you directing a ship to do something but actually doing it as the pilot. So for a bigger ship would be walking around the ship, managing crew, different stations including piloting, etc. Immersive FTL kinda thing. There are sub sims that do that, but I don't recall any surface ships getting a similar treatment.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Carrier Command 2 might fit that bill?

The game was murdered by its own corporate greed, it's a team-based PvP when fully utilized, but they tried charging sixty loving bucks for it at release.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Serephina posted:

Carrier Command 2 might fit that bill?

The game was murdered by its own corporate greed, it's a team-based PvP when fully utilized, but they tried charging sixty loving bucks for it at release.

That looks neat and I adored Highfleet. How is it as a single player game? I don't do stranger danger these days and there's no chance anyone in my gaming group would touch this,

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FuzzySlippers posted:

That looks neat and I adored Highfleet. How is it as a single player game? I don't do stranger danger these days and there's no chance anyone in my gaming group would touch this,

I think it has a demo. Or did at some point

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Where's this from? Now that's a gorgeous explosion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Where's this from? Now that's a gorgeous explosion.

Battlefleet Gothic Armada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHgu_fBlSjk

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'll just use the current chat around "space sims" predominantly going down the ww2-in-space road to chime in once again for one of the few games which differs and tries to explore how space warfare could work within our current understanding of physics: Children of a Dead Earth.

It sells for nothing during sales, so if one has any interest in space warfare, wishlist it now and pick it up in the Autumn Sale in a few days. It's absolutely fascinating if a bit obscure at first, and it comes with its own in-built encyclopedia which is worth the purchase in itself.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Next Gen is my least favorite of all the Star Trek stuff

:mods:

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 20, 2023

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i got a notification that Teardown got a new update and i now see that the developers got bought by Saber Interactive so now they have an overpriced season pass.

cool stuff, love to see another indie game slowly get ruined by corporate greed.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ShadowMar posted:

i got a notification that Teardown got a new update and i now see that the developers got bought by Saber Interactive so now they have an overpriced season pass.

cool stuff, love to see another indie game slowly get ruined by corporate greed.

A swell of negative reviews as people are claiming it legitimately broke things and lowered performance. Uh oh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FishMcCool posted:

I'll just use the current chat around "space sims" predominantly going down the ww2-in-space road to chime in once again for one of the few games which differs and tries to explore how space warfare could work within our current understanding of physics: Children of a Dead Earth.

It sells for nothing during sales, so if one has any interest in space warfare, wishlist it now and pick it up in the Autumn Sale in a few days. It's absolutely fascinating if a bit obscure at first, and it comes with its own in-built encyclopedia which is worth the purchase in itself.

:mods:

I'll allow it

And thanks for this tip, on the wishlist it goes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Video games are also falling to the corporate enshittification.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked the space combat in CHORVS, which was basically just aerial combat with biotic powers. But the skyboxes were nice and it was fun making runs through capitol ships to blow them up from the inside.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Serephina posted:

I'm sorry my man, but that's the type of poor combat that he was complaining about in the first place. Lining up red circles, etc.

As for those being reductive about "all FPS games are like that", think of all the other things you're doing while having fun in a shooter; managing sightlines, prioritizing targets, actually dodging defensively, using pickups/consumables, etc. Like think of those common "manning a machine-gun turret" sections many fps games have; they're fun for all of 30 seconds, but you wouldn't play a full campaign of that.

I mean in good space combat games you're doing a lot of that too. Most don't have pickups as such, but all that other stuff, yeah.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/M1das_OW2/status/1725790547649187945

idk about the game's longevity but the content is amazing. :3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No one's yet been able to combine the banality of door opening simulators with people screaming over voice chat before, so it's easy to see why this game is taking off.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a game yet that's a bit like House Flipper/pc building simulator/gas station simulator where you get something like a hosed up, run down building or lot or something and have to fix it up piece by piece.

Like, not just painting walls but fixing sockets, lights whatever other nuances (nuclear reactor in a busted submarine, etc).

But the game then gradually transitions into a resource management, city-building game (because you automate those tasks by hiring folk), which then turns into a planetary colonisation game as you constantly transition yourself into building/repairing more elaborate things to reach the next stage in societal/scientific development until you take over the universe.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lmao at the load screens in that starfield video

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

queeb posted:

Lmao at the load screens in that starfield video
The thing that killed my Starfield playthrough was doing a basic back-and-forth "talk to the NPC then talk to the other rival NPC then report back" quest with no combat or exploration and completing it took exactly 30 loading screens (I include the unskippable docking/undocking animation in that number).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Battlefleet Gothic 2 in particular has extremely good combat battles and the campaign itself isn't half bad (and you can mess around with all the factions on skirmish mode) since you get access to three factions' worth of designs to make your fleets with.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

There are quite a few bridge crew multiplayer games but I can never convince my gaming group to play any of them. Someone make an antisocial one.
I feel like the biggest issue would be trying to get randos to stay together for an entire mission/fight/whatever more than anything (Not that actual friend groups are any more reliable :v:)
Framing would be easy at least. The game simulates combat for a while then Oh No the bridge crew is killed! All the players are dropped into the bridge as the Rapidly Defrosted Replacement crew to pick up the pieces.

Well unless you're the kind that like the travelling/setup parts too.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Azran posted:

Battlefleet Gothic 2 in particular has extremely good combat battles and the campaign itself isn't half bad (and you can mess around with all the factions on skirmish mode) since you get access to three factions' worth of designs to make your fleets with.

It's really sad the game got abandoned before some sort of generic campaign mode was implemented so one could also play through with Ork and T'au and some other factions ships. Even without faction specific campaign gimmicks. There's skirmish against the AI but I like the feeling of growing my fleet and figuring out the playstyle of a given faction as I go.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Are there any heavily exploration based space games? I want to play Star Trek. Not like, actual Star Trek necessarily, but I want to explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations, preferably while managing a ship with a crew and stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cool Dad posted:

Are there any heavily exploration based space games? I want to play Star Trek. Not like, actual Star Trek necessarily, but I want to explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations, preferably while managing a ship with a crew and stuff.

Star Control 2

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lethal Company is not remotely my thing, but it's a solo project, the dev is only 21 years old, and seems like a nice guy, so it's cool to see it blowing up. Always got a soft spot for the indie dev dream success stories.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Star Control 2

also Starcom: Nexus in a similar vein(but SC2 is better)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I just wish Stage 9 wasn't C&Ded out of existence. I just want to explore the enterprise. I don't need in-depth gameplay or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Morter posted:

A swell of negative reviews as people are claiming it legitimately broke things and lowered performance. Uh oh.

My brother told me the new DX12 renderer gave him a big performance boost.