Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frodo went to Toll erresea I think

Spelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Tolkien never decided/purposely left it vague. There’s a random section in Morgoth’s Ring where Chris just tries to collate all the evidence about Frodo’s fate from his manuscripts and letters. It seems very clear Frodo would actually die at some point, but not clear on when or how. One bit says he would “sojourn…in Eressëa — then in Mandos?” before death. Which is kind of cool to imagine Frodo in Mandos halls chilling with Fëanor and the god of doom.

Tolkien knowing the value of a good mystery is I think a big part of why his books have had such staying power.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Looking at Tale of Years it’s like 60 some years between when Frodo and Sam go oversea. Thats gonna be two old rear end men spending their remaining days in a nice seaside retirement home at that point.

All sitting on a sofa under a nice puffy comforter that says "Just Some Knuckleheads From The Day!" in tengwar

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The vibe I got is that Frodo and Bilbo would live out their natural lifespan and then pass in great peace and joy instead of being tormented in Middle-Earth. Possibly anyone who had the Ring would become some kind of miserable wraith eventually even if they might not have had the power to manipulate the world.

I hope Bilbo had a year or two to have a look around at least.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

The vibe I got is that Frodo and Bilbo would live out their natural lifespan and then pass in great peace and joy instead of being tormented in Middle-Earth. Possibly anyone who had the Ring would become some kind of miserable wraith eventually even if they might not have had the power to manipulate the world.

I hope Bilbo had a year or two to have a look around at least.

I don't think anyone holding the ring becomes a wraith. That would be the eventual result if they kept it and kept using it but even Gollum was able to resist that happening. Hobbits are very resistant to fading.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frodo’s fading was from the cursed blade in him yeah

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Frodo’s fading was from the cursed blade in him yeah

Well yeah but I do think if one kept the ring and used it indefinitely they would eventually fade also. Bilbo gets pretty hosed up just from having it and barely ever using it. The Wraith Blade is just another way of doing that and it speed runs that process I guess.

It does make me wonder what would happen to an elf who uses the ring since they're already immortal and exist in both realms at once.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bilbo used it all the time and was ok.

So did gollum. It would have been like 1000 years as mentioned above about hobbits

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Bilbo used it all the time and was ok.

So did gollum. It would have been like 1000 years as mentioned above about hobbits

Yeah it would take a very long time probably.

Gollum and Bilbo also stopped using the ring as much after they started to feel the effects. Gollum in particular grew so tormented by it that he would just brood on it but wouldn't actually wear it that much because it made him tired.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Crosspost from somewhere over in PYF

https://twitter.com/LegoRacers2/status/1669775883308269569

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

that's just Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series (somewhat literally)

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Ginette Reno posted:

It does make me wonder what would happen to an elf who uses the ring since they're already immortal and exist in both realms at once.

I think that's PART of the reason the elves can wear the 3 without fading (the other part being that Sauron didn't directly make them, but he obvs had some power over them still because he could see them when they put them on)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think anyone holding the ring becomes a wraith. That would be the eventual result if they kept it and kept using it but even Gollum was able to resist that happening. Hobbits are very resistant to fading.
Yeah I don't mean like a junior ringwraith I mean like they wouldn't be able to rest in peace, even if Sauron's fall meant the end of the skeleton war.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel like I've never really absorbed all the poo poo that they say in the Lorien chapters of fellowship in prior readings because wow that's some crazy stuff. I think the last time I read it I was more focused on the things it says about time.

Also there's a short line about vapor filling the dimrill dale and sounds from deep underground that's a neat foreshadowing of Gandalf v Balrog.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also: Wetwang.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That's Nindalf to you

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It'd be funny if all this time Tolkien's elves didn't actually have pointy ears and thst his "leaf-shaped" comment in his letters meant they were these jagged monstrosity ears like an oak leaf

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

:actually: the pedant in me is compelled to point out that lamps and lampposts are specifically mentioned as existing in Minas Tirith. There’s even a Lampwright’s Street!

I simply won’t stand for inaccurate memes!!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm sure there is a hilarious quote with Tolkien getting mad about Santa turning up in Narnia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arc Hammer posted:

It'd be funny if all this time Tolkien's elves didn't actually have pointy ears and thst his "leaf-shaped" comment in his letters meant they were these jagged monstrosity ears like an oak leaf

I wish he lived long enough to comment on the Rankin-Bass elves of Mirkwood

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

maple imo

keep punching joe posted:

I'm sure there is a hilarious quote with Tolkien getting mad about Santa turning up in Narnia.

didn't he also write some santa story?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Also isn't Treebeard based on CS Lewis?

Oh it seems that's based on another person's recollections. The mystery deepens...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

Succulents. Chubby lil ears

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tolkien really does love them trees tho

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

keep punching joe posted:

You can use Santa as long as he is accompanied by North Polar Bear

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
"The electric street-lamp may indeed be ignored, simply because it is so insignificant and transient. Fairy-stories, at any rate, have many more permanent and fundamental things to talk about. Lightning, for example."

From "On Fairy Stories". There is an apocryphal story that this inspired Tumnus's lamp in LWW as a dig, but I believe that was a gas lamp as described (could be wrong) so it doesn't quite line up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tolkien wrote and illustrated Father Christmas letters for his kids. There’s quite a number of them, he did it for like 20 years iirc and they have a whole loose “plot” with Father Christmas, the North Polar Bear, hostile goblins etc

Note the date—this would be about a year after the completion of The Hobbit, but before its publication. Apparently early 30s Tolkien couldn’t resist the idea of a giant bear kicking goblin rear end

AFAICT the lamp post thing is about Tolkien dismissing electric street lamps as transient and insignificant in “On Fairy-Stories”. this was written before the Narnia stories so it can’t be a swing at them. you could take the Narnia lamp as Lewis winking at his friend’s theories. Idk though, seems like a stretch. Tolkien isn’t complaining about people putting street lamps in fantasy novels when he says that. Moreover the lamp in LWW is not evidently an electric street lamp, having neither electricity nor street. Given its origins, I think I always assumed it had an actual flame in it.

Tolkien did not like Narnia but he was pretty vague about why, at least in writing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can definitely imagine Lewis putting in the lamp specifically to be “transient and insignificant” but making it gas powered and sitting in the middle of a forest specifically to make it raise so many significant questions as to have to write the whole rest of the series around why it is there.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I've heard a bunch of "Tolkien didn't like famous popular thing X" (e.g. Disney, Narnia, Dune) - do we know what he did like? Besides medieval epic poems. Somewhat more obscure contemporary British authors?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I've heard a bunch of "Tolkien didn't like famous popular thing X" (e.g. Disney, Narnia, Dune) - do we know what he did like? Besides medieval epic poems. Somewhat more obscure contemporary British authors?

William Morris and Dunsany.

Past that a quick Google dig found this which was interesting:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tolkienfans/s/U4N5nrcgsX

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

I can definitely imagine Lewis putting in the lamp specifically to be “transient and insignificant” but making it gas powered and sitting in the middle of a forest specifically to make it raise so many significant questions as to have to write the whole rest of the series around why it is there.

Didn't he explicitly say he got the picture of the lamppost in his mind and wrote LWW from that?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

On a quick google he allegedly was partial to some Doctor Who.

quote:

I have heard a rumor from an Oxford graduate that he liked Doctor Who.

In the last couple years of his life, after Edith died, Oxford invited him to return to his old rooms, which he did. That much is fact. The rumor is that he'd visit the groundskeeper's cottage to watch TV, including Doctor Who. Would've been the Pertwee era!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Omnomnomnivore posted:

William Morris and Lord Dunsany were his primary inspirations as you can clearly see reading them…Morris for his “barbarian” men (House of the Wolfings, Roots of the Mountains), Dunsany for his elves (King of Elfland’s Daughter).

He liked Lewis’ space trilogy, especially Out of the Silent Planet, and when asked to be publisher’s reader, compared it to the David Lindsay book that obviously inspired it

Letters 26 posted:

I read ‘Voyage to Arcturus’ with avidity—the most comparable work, though it is both more powerful and more mythical [than Silent Planet] (and less rational, and also less of a story—no one could read it merely as a thriller and without interest in philosophy religion and morals.)

In Letter 295 he mentions that he doesn’t like most contemporary sff books but goes on to cite exceptions—E. R. Eddison (“I have read all that [he] wrote, in spite of his peculiarly bad nomenclature and personal philosophy”—in one of the other letters he complains more about these points and says the only Eddison character he really liked was Gro, then goes on to call him the greatest fantasy author he’s read), Death of Grass (eco-apocalypse novel contemporary to LOTR), “the S.F. of Isaac Azimov” (sic), and Mary Renault’s Theseus novels.

We also have his copy of a random American pulp fantasy anthology complete with a not-too-complementary notepaper: https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Critique_of_%22Distressing_Tale_of_Thangobrind_the_Jeweler%22

There’s also now a book about the topic! Tolkien’s Modern Reading by Holly Ordway. Haven’t read it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 20, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tolkien would have love Phillip Dick it’s too bad

Oh well

Tolkien did like though the pulp era of sci fi and fantasy which must have been aggravating

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

skasion posted:

Tolkien wrote and illustrated Father Christmas letters for his kids. There’s quite a number of them, he did it for like 20 years iirc and they have a whole loose “plot” with Father Christmas, the North Polar Bear, hostile goblins etc

Note the date—this would be about a year after the completion of The Hobbit, but before its publication. Apparently early 30s Tolkien couldn’t resist the idea of a giant bear kicking goblin rear end

AFAICT the lamp post thing is about Tolkien dismissing electric street lamps as transient and insignificant in “On Fairy-Stories”. this was written before the Narnia stories so it can’t be a swing at them. you could take the Narnia lamp as Lewis winking at his friend’s theories. Idk though, seems like a stretch. Tolkien isn’t complaining about people putting street lamps in fantasy novels when he says that. Moreover the lamp in LWW is not evidently an electric street lamp, having neither electricity nor street. Given its origins, I think I always assumed it had an actual flame in it.

Tolkien did not like Narnia but he was pretty vague about why, at least in writing.

I do think that if you read Tolkien's Introductionto the second edition of Lord of the Rings, you can see exactly what he dislikes about Narnia. He basically wrote a whole new introduction to his book for the sole purpose of making sure no one called Lord of the Rings an allegory. Narnia is allegory ++, most allegory per square inch in all of England. Tolkien may have had more issues than that with the series, but he was basically never going to like it in the first place, just because of the central literary device.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Tolkien would have love Phillip Dick it’s too bad

Oh well

Tolkien did like though the pulp era of sci fi and fantasy which must have been aggravating

I wish he’d lived to read Riddley Walker and freak out about its idiom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sweet geek swag posted:

I do think that if you read Tolkien's Introductionto the second edition of Lord of the Rings, you can see exactly what he dislikes about Narnia. He basically wrote a whole new introduction to his book for the sole purpose of making sure no one called Lord of the Rings an allegory. Narnia is allegory ++, most allegory per square inch in all of England. Tolkien may have had more issues than that with the series, but he was basically never going to like it in the first place, just because of the central literary device.

Coughs in Bunyan

e. The read the field experts I know have on Narnia is that it is not an allegory: Aslan does not "represent Jesus" - Aslan is literally The Christ manifest on a different world, and that Narnia is better read as something like multidimensional Christian science fiction: if we allow that there are multiple worlds in Creation, and allow this one to have a mythological and fantastic aspect to it, let us speculate on how the fall, incarnation, and salvation might look in such a place.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 20, 2023