Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
How would y’all rank the fall of x books? Children of the Vault, Uncanny Spider-Man, and Alpha Flight feel like my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's where I'm at, but Children of the Vault is the only one that's been leaving me wanting more, and it has nothing to do with the title characters.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I read the first issue of COTV on Unlimited this week and I am intrigued but it seems like it's a pretty stark departure of those particular bad guys' general operations. They used to just violently gently caress up people instead of this more subversive plot.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Just so I understand the reveal in Uncanny Avengers Captain Krakoa: Orchis resurrected the version of Steve Rogers that was a hydra agent during secret empire where someone used the cosmic cube to make him pro-hydra, right? I didn’t read the event. But that’s Steve Rogers, just an evil version of him right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Orchis took a pretty big loss in Children.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also everything about Uncanny Avengers is now great just for this image of Dr Stasis.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Just so I understand the reveal in Uncanny Avengers Captain Krakoa: Orchis resurrected the version of Steve Rogers that was a hydra agent during secret empire where someone used the cosmic cube to make him pro-hydra, right? I didn’t read the event. But that’s Steve Rogers, just an evil version of him right?

A fascist pro hydra version yeah.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel like the entire Jean Grey comic was a waste of time and money and I'm kinda mad not gonna lie

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I jumped out after the first issue, but I’m glad they gave Louise Simonson some work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was sure weird how when jean was arguing with a fluid, shifting amalgamation of all her previous selves this included madelyn pryor. i guess i can kind of see it? poo poo gets weird in the white hot room, and despite being a different person there's enough overlap that pryor got pulled in too.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
How many times does Jean need to forgive herself for that solar genocide? I thought she and everyone decided that it wasn't her and even if it was her...dark phoenix. But hopefully this is Marvel realizing that Jean should be able to move on from her past. Editorially most of her past sucks but part of that is being dumb enough to marry into the Summers family.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, since when was the phoenix dead?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Whaaat, you all didn't read the epic conclusion of Jason Aaron's Avengers arc!?

(:geno:)

(There was a big fight and a bunch of Phoenix hosts including Echo, Thor's Wannabe Cavewoman Mom*, and A Wolverine used their powers so hard that they burned the Phoenix Force out.)

*she is in fact a cavewoman but not a mom

srypher posted:

How would y’all rank the fall of x books? Children of the Vault, Uncanny Spider-Man, and Alpha Flight feel like my favorites.
Peak tier: Children of the Vault
Top tier: Immortal and Red neck-in-neck with each other, as usual
Generally fun reads: Uncanny Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel, along with Duggan standbys X-Men and Uncanny Avengers
Okay if you really care about the characters in it: X-Force, Alpha Flight
Probably skippable unless you're a die-hard stan: Jean Grey, Iceman
Garbage tier by a large degree and the margin isn't close, this actually deserves to be like five rungs lower: Realm of X

Hope I didn't forget anyone

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 16, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Whaaat, you all didn't read the epic conclusion of Jason Aaron's Avengers arc!?

(:geno:)

(There was a big fight and a bunch of Phoenix hosts including Echo, Thor's Wannabe Cavewoman Mom*, and A Wolverine used their powers so hard that they burned the Phoenix Force out.)

*she is in fact a cavewoman but not a mom

Peak tier: Children of the Vault
Top tier: Immortal and Red neck-in-neck with each other, as usual
Generally fun reads: Uncanny Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel, along with Duggan standbys X-Men and Uncanny Avengers
Okay if you really care about the characters in it: X-Force, Alpha Flight
Probably skippable unless you're a die-hard stan: Jean Grey, Iceman
Garbage tier by a large degree and the margin isn't close, this actually deserves to be like five rungs lower: Realm of X

Hope I didn't forget anyone

You forgot Dark X-Men and also Iron-Man is basically an X-Men book at the moment.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well gently caress me. Dark fits in the "fun reads" row but also requires you to care a lot about Maddie and her adopted Z-listers plus Gambit.

Iron Man...if I'm being honest, actually almost makes it into the Top Tier row, but Duggan still doesn't quite reach the Ewing-Gillen sphere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
now that i think about it, jean grey mini is a bit off. it came down to jean deciding that she should never second guess herself and that this was the best of all possible worlds because of her decisions. even her mistakes were still objectively correct. the one telling her this was the dregs of the phoenix force.

but it's an affirmation and not a story about jean being corrupted. am i missing something or is that completely crazy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Well gently caress me. Dark fits in the "fun reads" row but also requires you to care a lot about Maddie and her adopted Z-listers plus Gambit.

Iron Man...if I'm being honest, actually almost makes it into the Top Tier row, but Duggan still doesn't quite reach the Ewing-Gillen sphere.

I will physically fight anyone in this thread who doesn't care about Maddie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Didn't say I didn't! But she's definitely an...acquired taste.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

now that i think about it, jean grey mini is a bit off. it came down to jean deciding that she should never second guess herself and that this was the best of all possible worlds because of her decisions. even her mistakes were still objectively correct. the one telling her this was the dregs of the phoenix force.

but it's an affirmation and not a story about jean being corrupted. am i missing something or is that completely crazy?
I took it as the Phoenix being like, believing that it must be your fault if things go wrong is just a different kind of arrogance, because things going wrong is just life. So...like, deal with it.

Pretty much it's just Phoenix giving Jean an up-and-at-'em pep talk, in its roundabout Phoenixy way, after Jean got curb-stomped at the Gala and was doubting all her life choices.

Or it's the star-eating space parasite being corruptive and toxic at its codependent ex. Whichever.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is reaching a bit back but this week's Immortal Thor convinced me that people have a weird read on Ewing's Storm being perfect. She spends like 5 pages talking down to and hitting Thor with weather while he tries to ask her for help against an Elder God.

Honestly Storm and Emma have a lot in common in their extremely high opinions of themselves, but the difference is when Emma gets brutally honest with herself she feels insecure about whether or not she's a good person whereas Storm probably starts regretting stuff like not cutting out Marrow's other heart, too. I wouldn't say she should be on Marvel's "Imperious Jerks" Mount Rushmore along with Namor and Magneto, but she'd probably be one of the candidates.

None of this is meant to be a criticism, because much like Namor and Magneto, she's all the more entertaining because of it. A "What if Storm and Killmonger got married instead?" story would probably be a hoot putting aside comics Killmonger not resembling the movie version that much, historically

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is reaching a bit back but this week's Immortal Thor convinced me that people have a weird read on Ewing's Storm being perfect. She spends like 5 pages talking down to and hitting Thor with weather while he tries to ask her for help against an Elder God.

Honestly Storm and Emma have a lot in common in their extremely high opinions of themselves, but the difference is when Emma gets brutally honest with herself she feels insecure about whether or not she's a good person whereas Storm probably starts regretting stuff like not cutting out Marrow's other heart, too. I wouldn't say she should be on Marvel's "Imperious Jerks" Mount Rushmore along with Namor and Magneto, but she'd probably be one of the candidates.

None of this is meant to be a criticism, because much like Namor and Magneto, she's all the more entertaining because of it. A "What if Storm and Killmonger got married instead?" story would probably be a hoot putting aside comics Killmonger not resembling the movie version that much, historically

I think a big difference between Storm and Emma is Storm doesn't think of herself as inherently better than anyone else. Like, if she thinks she's right and the other person is wrong she will absolutely gently caress them up to prove herself correct, but she wouldn't deny them a voice at the table. Also I think she just has more love in her heart than Emma does. Emma cares about things and wants to protect them, especially children, but she doesn't have the same capacity for love.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was sure weird how when jean was arguing with a fluid, shifting amalgamation of all her previous selves this included madelyn pryor. i guess i can kind of see it? poo poo gets weird in the white hot room, and despite being a different person there's enough overlap that pryor got pulled in too.

Theoretically Jean also has all of Maddie’s memories up until popping out of the sea, but that isn’t a plot line I have seen mentioned since uhhh whenever Nate got sent to the future.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not like the phoenix hasn't had difficulty discerning between them in the past.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought the Jean mini was okay until that last issue, where it seriously felt like it was just spinning it's wheels before the actual conclusion to this little story arc happens in Immortal later

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

danbanana posted:

I read the first issue of COTV on Unlimited this week and I am intrigued but it seems like it's a pretty stark departure of those particular bad guys' general operations. They used to just violently gently caress up people instead of this more subversive plot.

I can't remember if it's in there or in another book, but the Vault had some big election between the current leader and the previous one, with the current one suggesting they try a quieter approach than the usual murder everyone one they normally use. (This may, in fact, be a spoiler for the next issue.) But yes, it's an intentional change.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Endless Mike posted:

I can't remember if it's in there or in another book, but the Vault had some big election between the current leader and the previous one, with the current one suggesting they try a quieter approach than the usual murder everyone one they normally use. (This may, in fact, be a spoiler for the next issue.) But yes, it's an intentional change.

Ah. Having an explanation is fine but I think it's weird that they spent so much effort in the Krakoa era to reestablish them as a world conquering threat through unbeatable violence and then just shift gears. The whole dream sequence thing was predicated on them loving up everyone, including the Avengers.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Children of the Vault was a very fun read, but it feels...a bit out of place with the rest of the universe? It's like these two supersoldier badasses also channel Light Yagami and some choice SCP Foundation fare to just be unstopabble if they have a long weekend to spare, which makes the whole rest of the setting look like chumps.

Funnily enough, I at first mistook that series for Children of the Atom, read two issues and went "Huh."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It really seemed like the point was to go "Aren't Bishop and Cable cool?" and by the end of it all I could think is "No.".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they're horrible bastards that the x-men sometimes keep in check.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Back before Orchis messed everything up

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kinda like bisexual Wolverine, but Wolverine x Cyclops doesn't work for me, because it may by proxy imply he also has the hots for Captain America, the vanilla Cyclops

Speaking of Wolverine being gay, where the hell is Hercules lately? Is he still in space, being boring? I'm gonna be cross if Immortal Thor wraps up without a friendly spar between those two

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think groot ate him and he has yet to come back out.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kinda like bisexual Wolverine, but Wolverine x Cyclops doesn't work for me, because it may by proxy imply he also has the hots for Captain America, the vanilla Cyclops

Speaking of Wolverine being gay, where the hell is Hercules lately? Is he still in space, being boring? I'm gonna be cross if Immortal Thor wraps up without a friendly spar between those two

I think it's unfair to say that just because Logan would be attracted to Scott that it means he's attracted to Steve. Logan could just have a thing for burnette boy scouts with more ambiguous morals vs a blonde greatest generation vet. Or he could be into Scott because Jean is and that's hot.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Or he could be into Scott because Jean is and that's hot.
Speaking as a polyamorous queer, that's actually pretty true to life.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I may be one of the few that actually liked the Scott/Emma pairing better than Jean/Scott, but the new open situation is a lot more interesting. Also, I was not reading for most of the time it was going on, so I'm talking based mostly on vibes alone.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
No, I like them as a couple way more than Jean and Scott. It's just a more dynamic relationship.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

No, I like them as a couple way more than Jean and Scott. It's just a more dynamic relationship.

Scott and Not!Jean is part of why I like X-Men Evolution so much. It unfortunately didn't happen because the series was canceled but they were going to push Scott and Rogue which has the benefit of being something new for God's sake.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Scott not having Jean or Xavier around really pushed him over the edge. The dynamic with Emma was a lot of fun, but I'm glad to be back to a more stable Cyclops.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I just assume any would be hero at all attracted to men has a crush on Captain America, whether they will ever admit it or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cap and Logan fought together in WW2, killing Nazis with another man creates a bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

glitchwraith posted:

I just assume any would be hero at all attracted to men has a crush on Captain America, whether they will ever admit it or not.

Emma Frost getting a mental bluescreen as she learns Steve thinks she reminds him of her mother was hilarious.

"I've worn three designer dresses to his gala, each costing the GIP of a small nation, and he compares me to some nigh-victorian peasant!"