Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I haven't made many armors yet but a lot of them seem to be repairable now? Maybe things have changed.

I survived the Temporal Storm, even though I was starving at the time. I've got another one coming but I am less concerned now. I am fully into metalworking, and have started preserving food as it is now mid August.

I've been playing close to 20 hours and I only just now found a small patch of Medium Fertility soil, so my farming has been really really bad up until now. Hopefully I have enough time to grow some stuff. I also haven't found a single beehive which is disappointing.

I did dig a pit for some boar that I am now farming. I've got like 3 pregnant sows so I'm expecting a porksplosion soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Senrab posted:

I've been playing close to 20 hours and I only just now found a small patch of Medium Fertility soil, so my farming has been really really bad up until now. Hopefully I have enough time to grow some stuff. I also haven't found a single beehive which is disappointing.

Did you start from the desert or something, that stuff is usually everywhere.

If you want the really good stuff though, you must find Terra preta, like mentioned. It's like a darker peat. I endorse a mod that makes it easier to see by adding some particles (and then you'll be wondering how you missed it before)

Senrab
May 10, 2012

TeaJay posted:

Did you start from the desert or something, that stuff is usually everywhere.

If you want the really good stuff though, you must find Terra preta, like mentioned. It's like a darker peat. I endorse a mod that makes it easier to see by adding some particles (and then you'll be wondering how you missed it before)

I'm surrounded by a few sandy/gravely areas but I wouldn't call it a desert? I'm not really sure. Temperatures seem warm but it is August. There's just low-fertility soil everywhere. Finding medium felt like a needle in a haystack.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Perhaps it's just the zone, if you find a forest or a plain medium soil should be everywhere and you can look for some terra preta too.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
It's so weird. I've got forest and plains everywhere interspersed with fields of gravel and sand. And all of it, save for that one patch, is low-fertility. The distribution of biomes seems weird to me, but I've managed. If I could just find some drat bees it'd make it a lot easier to make my food supplies last longer.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Senrab posted:

It's so weird. I've got forest and plains everywhere interspersed with fields of gravel and sand. And all of it, save for that one patch, is low-fertility. The distribution of biomes seems weird to me, but I've managed. If I could just find some drat bees it'd make it a lot easier to make my food supplies last longer.

If you want to store stuff in crocks, you can also use lump of fat to seal them if there's no beeswax available.

For storing cured meat or pickled vegetables you'll need a barrel (don't know if you can make those yet), salt and water to make brine and then of course some vegetables (or just stick some meat and salt in there to cure meat).

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I have indeed reached the point of making barrels and chests and other forms of woodworking, I just don't have any salt yet.

I am aware of fat working to seal crocks but I haven't collected a lot of that yet either. That's about to change now that I've got a pig pen and a bow for hunting. :getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You all got me wanting to give Vintage Story another go, but it sounds like 1.19 is coming up soon so I’ll probably just wait for that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I really love the look of Vintage Story. I think it's beautiful. I mean - I think unmodded Minecraft can be beautiful too, just for the coherence of its art style. But Vintage Story is really lovely.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

HopperUK posted:

I really love the look of Vintage Story. I think it's beautiful. I mean - I think unmodded Minecraft can be beautiful too, just for the coherence of its art style. But Vintage Story is really lovely.

yeah, in particular it really has this weathered vibe to it that minecraft doesn't exactly share. sort of a worn-in, rustic aesthetic that really ties everything together and gives everything sort of this soft edge to it. i dunno. it's pleasant.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i played a bit of the demo when it was available and thought it was kinda neat, but i wonder if anyone has any thoughts on wildmender who has actually bought and delved into it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1599330/Wildmender/

it's a pretty interesting little concept overall and i enjoyed the environment it set up. seems to overall have a few problems here and there if reviews are anything to go off of, but like, when is that ever not the case with this sort of genre.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i played a bit of the demo when it was available and thought it was kinda neat, but i wonder if anyone has any thoughts on wildmender who has actually bought and delved into it

it's a pretty interesting little concept overall and i enjoyed the environment it set up. seems to overall have a few problems here and there if reviews are anything to go off of, but like, when is that ever not the case with this sort of genre.

I only played for a few hours but it's really lovely. I could see getting sucked into making a gorgeous little garden.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wildmender is a lot of fun. If the idea of restoring a desert to green through horticulture is at all appealing, you'd find something to like about Wildmender.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Wildmender is just a couple steps from great but i don't regret the purchase. The visuals and ambience are top notch and the gardening is very satisfying.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I keep seeing vintage story brought up here and elsewhere- so I put on some streamer's unmodded 100 day playthrough in the background while doing work today. Looks pretty and seems like a really fun, challenging game that ticks a lot of the boxes of what I like in a game.

It's not on steam, and I'd kind of wanted to pick it up once it was on steam but I think at this point I'll be beat by the heat death of the universe, so...

Any reasons I shouldn't jump on it?
Is it something I can pick up and put down easily like if I only have like half an hour or less to game on a weeknight? That's not to say that I don't expect to have to put in some time to get where the cool stuff happens, just that right now is my busiest time of year so I'll only get to chip away towards the cool stuff instead of plowing a whole weekend away at it or what have you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

chainchompz posted:

It's not on steam, and I'd kind of wanted to pick it up once it was on steam but I think at this point I'll be beat by the heat death of the universe, so...

the devs are pretty clear that they're not fans of how big a cut steam takes and also how restrictive their return policy is, so i kinda doubt it'll ever go up on that. on the flipside they're cool with just getting it refunded, no questions asked, if you're not feeling it anymore.

also i dunno if i have anything explicitly bad to say about it, there's a lot of moving parts going on in it that you can pretty handily change around if you don't like how X or Y is normally set. it's very much along the lines of minecraft, just with a little more setup with some of the processes and small things like 'pouring your first anvil' being huge milestones. i'd say it can be easily picked up and put down without much worry.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

chainchompz posted:

I keep seeing vintage story brought up here and elsewhere- so I put on some streamer's unmodded 100 day playthrough in the background while doing work today. Looks pretty and seems like a really fun, challenging game that ticks a lot of the boxes of what I like in a game.

Is it something I can pick up and put down easily like if I only have like half an hour or less to game on a weeknight? That's not to say that I don't expect to have to put in some time to get where the cool stuff happens, just that right now is my busiest time of year so I'll only get to chip away towards the cool stuff instead of plowing a whole weekend away at it or what have you.

Yeah I think you can dip in for a little while here and there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wildmender is neat but gets considerably less neat as it goes on imo. There's fun new traversal mechanics you get later but progressing in the game is a bit of a pain, especially when your home garden starts to lag like crazy because of all the goddamn foliage. I had a good 12 hrs of fun out of it but didn't finish it. I might go back but the performance was becoming a harder to ignore issue.

Edit: to extrapolate on this, your job throughout the game is to expand your garden basically, and it is very neat seeing your little patches of green popping up across the map. Some of the missions you have to do to progress are kind of annoying though and poorly signposted in a lot of situations and it makes some of the areas on the map a pain in the rear end to traverse. Storage mechanics and item stacking are also frustrating as hell but I do think they've done some work to improve that since I played last.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 21, 2023

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Thanks for the info folks.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the devs are pretty clear that they're not fans of how big a cut steam takes and also how restrictive their return policy is, so i kinda doubt it'll ever go up on that. on the flipside they're cool with just getting it refunded, no questions asked, if you're not feeling it anymore.

also i dunno if i have anything explicitly bad to say about it, there's a lot of moving parts going on in it that you can pretty handily change around if you don't like how X or Y is normally set. it's very much along the lines of minecraft, just with a little more setup with some of the processes and small things like 'pouring your first anvil' being huge milestones. i'd say it can be easily picked up and put down without much worry.

Yeah I saw that they were against King Gabe taking his cut.

My only other concern is once I have the game I'm free to put it on my other computer, right? Like with steam the games are by account so I can put em on my desktop at home and laptop for when I travel for work- while not on steam, is that the same for VS?

IIRC days are 48 minutes long so it'll be fun to play at night for a whole session here and there unless/until I make a bed in game.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah I think you can dip in for a little while here and there.

Perfect!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

chainchompz posted:

Thanks for the info folks.

Yeah I saw that they were against King Gabe taking his cut.

My only other concern is once I have the game I'm free to put it on my other computer, right? Like with steam the games are by account so I can put em on my desktop at home and laptop for when I travel for work- while not on steam, is that the same for VS?

IIRC days are 48 minutes long so it'll be fun to play at night for a whole session here and there unless/until I make a bed in game.

Perfect!

You can download it and install it as many times as you like.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m also a curmudgeon about “I want everything on steam because that’s how it should be!!!” (Even though I know steam isn’t always the best for all devs) but Vintage Story has never bothered me being off of it, it earns its spot in “game I have to remember isn’t on steam.” It does so much very right in ways that almost hard to quantify.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

HopperUK posted:

You can download it and install it as many times as you like.

The only caveat is that you need an active internet connection to play.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Johnny Joestar posted:

From what I’ve played of it I enjoy it, but I have this utterly insane habit of restarting shortly after clearing the first area to start from the beginning again. This is definitely a me thing, not on the game, but I’ve done it a half dozen times so far. Most games that trigger this bad habit I only do this once and after I’ve figured out the base mechanics but… I think it’s the gardening and wanting to try new layouts while not being able to move fully grown trees. It would be a lot more rational to just chop drown the tree and grow a new one, but apparently I’m happy enough just dicking around I regret nothing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I played Wildmender for a bit and ended up refunding it, not because it was particularly terrible but because I didn't find the core gameplay compelling. Tending to crops is fun, but I didn't find the exploration aspect that makes up the majority of the game to be that great, since it walked a line where it was too simple to be compelling on its own while still requiring enough resource prep that it isn't just a chill out and walk game.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I hesitate it to call it “hard” mode but I feel like I want a Wildmender that’s got a little bit more of something to it. I’m not sure I have enough of a an idea or suggestion but I love playing with water and expanding green, it just needed something extra to really get it over the hump.

I may go back and finish it, but I got about 10 hours from it and don’t really regret the purchase, but it’s far from a “favorite” as a result.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I have a bit of business travel coming up and was looking at Card Survival. I note that it's available on Android so could potentially use my tablet to play it instead of lugging my Steam Deck around.

Does anyone know if it's better on a specific platform? Or is the content/experience pretty much identical?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

piano chimp posted:

I have a bit of business travel coming up and was looking at Card Survival. I note that it's available on Android so could potentially use my tablet to play it instead of lugging my Steam Deck around.

Does anyone know if it's better on a specific platform? Or is the content/experience pretty much identical?

The PC version was getting updated faster but I believe that the last update that was pushed to Android was the last planned update overall. So from here the only real difference is that you can't do mods on Android if that makes a difference to you. Since it's a card based game is ports over to touchscreen very well, in some ways better than pc.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Alright fine I’ll try vintage story on my steam deck!

Looks like the launcher is available as a flat pack and there are a few community controller configs out there so I’m optimistic.

I’m definitely going to turn all the temporal storm stuff and drifters off. I just want to build a cosy house and try not to die of starvation.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That thing happened where my brain screwed me over and made the gameplay loop seem shallow on VS. I've lost the spark to play even though I was enjoying making my little homestead. It's the most frustrating thing ever and it happens so much, with so many different games.

Should I just bruteforce playing it anyway and hopefully unlearn this stupid habit?

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Qubee posted:

That thing happened where my brain screwed me over and made the gameplay loop seem shallow on VS. I've lost the spark to play even though I was enjoying making my little homestead. It's the most frustrating thing ever and it happens so much, with so many different games.

Should I just bruteforce playing it anyway and hopefully unlearn this stupid habit?

Coming up with an idea for a character and having some roleplaying-inspired objectives can help with this.

I find that the difficulty in VS is mostly in getting established. After getting a good set of tools, warm clothes (for temperate climates at least) and a cellar of preserved food, surviving is pretty straightforward.

Coming up with a set of restrictions, requirements or even a "quest" of sorts can keep things fresh. Mods like From Golden Combs or In Dappled Groves can enhance existing or introduce new systems to master as well.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

piano chimp posted:

instead of lugging my Steam Deck around.

Honest question… isn’t the steam deck meant to be portable? What’s the issue with lugging it around?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

VegasGoat posted:

Honest question… isn’t the steam deck meant to be portable? What’s the issue with lugging it around?

It's portable but it's portable like a laptop is rather than portable like a cell phone. You can fit in comfortably in a backpack and take it out on an airplane but it isn't fitting in your pockets like the switch can sometimes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's a big device! You can't exactly shove it into your pocket.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have skirts that advertise having pockets big enough to hold a switch but have yet to see any advertising that for the deck

checkmate,

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SettingSun posted:

It's a big device! You can't exactly shove it into your pocket.

Way to oust yourself as not owning any JNCOs

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Macichne Leainig posted:

Way to oust yourself as not owning any JNCOs

I don't of that would even work work, the unit is 12 inches long and 5 inches wide.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't of that would even work work, the unit is 12 inches long and 5 inches wide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVcB6oiDJ40

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

chainchompz posted:

I finally got it a couple days ago and I’m liking it way, way more than I originally thought I would. My previous totally uninformed impression was that it was a more grognardy Minecraft and in a way it is, but it turns it into a much slower-paced mellow thing. Making your first metal tools is actually a real undertaking vs making a rock pick and digging straight down to copper ASAP in Minecraft.

The other nice part is the slow pace means that half-hour sessions are perfectly doable, cause there are a bunch of intermediary crafting steps - forming clay into molds & vessels & firing it, getting hides & curing them, making charcoal, exploring for various resources and mineral deposits, etc. totally worth 20 bucks

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Checking back in: I got it last night and sacrificed sleep for gaming, which bodes well.

First start I was exploring and then fell in a cave and couldn't dig myself out and wasn't going to wait until I starved to death to respawn.

Other start I wound up getting ate by a bear, repeatedly.

I think I've finally got the handle on building a shelter, slowly but surely getting other stuff like that, but hunger is something I'm not on top of yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

piano chimp posted:

Coming up with an idea for a character and having some roleplaying-inspired objectives can help with this.

I find that the difficulty in VS is mostly in getting established. After getting a good set of tools, warm clothes (for temperate climates at least) and a cellar of preserved food, surviving is pretty straightforward.

Coming up with a set of restrictions, requirements or even a "quest" of sorts can keep things fresh. Mods like From Golden Combs or In Dappled Groves can enhance existing or introduce new systems to master as well.

Any other recommended mods that enhance existing or add news systems? These are fantastic and I wish I had them in my first playthrough.