Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
RoRR is fun but it's pretty difficult. Don't feel bad about playing on Drizzle to get some unlocks. I've been having fun both solo and with friends. What I'm most looking forward to is the mod support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Made it to the last boss on my like 5th run of Astral Ascent (Kieran is really powerful with the aura enhancements that give you 50% damage buff on successful King Counter) and then died literally with a sliver of HP left on him. Gah!

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Made it to the last boss on my like 5th run of Astral Ascent (Kieran is really powerful with the aura enhancements that give you 50% damage buff on successful King Counter) and then died literally with a sliver of HP left on him. Gah!

King Counter feels so powerful every time you pull it off. I still have difficulty with timing it correctly; a lot of enemies have longer windup times than king counter lasts for.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Teriferin posted:

King Counter feels so powerful every time you pull it off. I still have difficulty with timing it correctly; a lot of enemies have longer windup times than king counter lasts for.

Oh absolutely. I've eaten tons of poo poo mistiming it lol.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Picked up Poker Quest again to check it out since it's been a while since I played it last.
Still fun, still extremely hard, still haven't beaten the final boss on Classic mode.

Can recommend checking it out, feels like an underrated gem.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Finally got around to trying Moonring after downloading it a couple months ago then forgetting about it. I really appreciate how readable it is. UI is very clear, font is large and easy to read.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How I wish I could have Octave with King Counter

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
After much hemming and hawing over the last year, I finally grabbed The Last Spell and am glad I did. I can see why people complain that the individual runs are too long - Glintheim, the first non-tutorial village, is 7 nights/6 days long and that took me a solid 3-4 hours of play. Most other villages are more, to my understanding (like 12 to 14). But the gameplay is pretty addictive and I don't think I've really seen a turn-based wave-defense game quite like this before. It's really solid (and the soundtrack is appropriately metal).

For those who play it, I finished Glintheim on my first try on Normal and unlocked a LOT with my Tainted Essence (it's a currency. shyuddup.) but didn't unlock any new Omens. Currently debating whether I should try Lakeburg on Normal with only 4 of 5 Omens (it warns me against doing so) or take another shot at Glintheim on Apocalypse 1 and grind up a few Omens that way. That's the one thing that gives me pause about the game - how many hours you'll spend replaying the same content but with slightly padded stats. Anyone with experience have a suggestion on which route to go?

Similarly, does Apocalypse 1 adjust anything aside from adding 20% Health to all enemies? My understanding is it doesn't, but figured I'd check.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm having a lot of fun with Backpack Hero, but I'm in the mood for a roguelike where you press a button (ideally not even that) and everything dies. Think god tier runs of Binding of Isaac, engineer for Nova Drift, that kind of thing. I want to become all powerful and coast to the finish line without effort. Preferably in real time.

Off the top of my head, I've played Hade, BoI, Nova Drift, Vampire Survivors...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with Backpack Hero, but I'm in the mood for a roguelike where you press a button (ideally not even that) and everything dies. Think god tier runs of Binding of Isaac, engineer for Nova Drift, that kind of thing. I want to become all powerful and coast to the finish line without effort. Preferably in real time.

I've had builds in Astral Ascent that just wipe the screen of enemies but it takes 4-5 hours to get there tbf

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Fat Samurai posted:

Path of Achra and Rift Wizard are both broken build simulators, where you either become stupid or lose. In real time and more like Vampire Survivors, Soulstone Survivors and Boneraiser Minions come to mind. Soulstone Survivors has a metric ton of metaprogression, if you want a reason to keep winning, Boneraiser Minions adds a bit of a twist (you are quite useless, you mostly exist to buy the minions that actually do the things).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks! I tried Boneraiser Minions and couldn't see my character, and not because the amount of weapons thrown around, but because everything is purple. I'll try the others mentioned.

Azran posted:

I've had builds in Astral Ascent that just wipe the screen of enemies but it takes 4-5 hours to get there tbf

Do you mean that you need 4-5 hours worth of metaprogresion or that runs are that long?

EDIT: Rift Wizard is imposing. That spell list is 4 pages long!

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 22, 2023

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks! I tried Boneraiser Minions and couldn't see my character, and not because the amount of weapons thrown around, but because everything is purple. I'll try the others mentioned.

You can turn on outlines to distinguish friend from foe.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Yea, Rift Wizard has a lot of paths to the top. Path of Achra is the more accessible of the two, in early difficulties you can basically pick an action (stand still, attack, move) and a starting element and go bugnuts crazy.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd recommend Rift Wizard to someone wanting

Fat Samurai posted:

[...]to become all powerful and coast to the finish line without effort.
That wasn't my experience at all.

Path of Achra at low difficulty fits much better.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Loddfafnir posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd recommend Rift Wizard to someone wanting

That wasn't my experience at all.

Path of Achra at low difficulty fits much better.

It's been a while since I played, but there are some easy to install mods (found on the official discord, as is modern tradition) that let you go DK Bongos nuts.
Path of Achra is dope but for me, it's much less readable and satisfying. RW is a massively high bar though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Do you mean that you need 4-5 hours worth of metaprogresion or that runs are that long?

Nah runs are 30-40 minute affairs. But there are a lot of skills, augments and auras (basically upgrade options for your spells and character) locked behind finishing runs - the better you did the more stuff you unlock. The game tells you exactly what unlocked where, which is pretty neat.

(At this point I'm just trying to sell people on that game for the flimsiest reasons, I know. :v:)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azran posted:

Nah runs are 30-40 minute affairs. But there are a lot of skills, augments and auras (basically upgrade options for your spells and character) locked behind finishing runs - the better you did the more stuff you unlock. The game tells you exactly what unlocked where, which is pretty neat.

So...... metaprogression?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
More Shiren 6 details! https://rpgamer.com/2023/11/shiren-the-wanderer-the-mystery-dungeon-of-serpentcoil-island-gets-more-details-characters/

"Behemoths are giant monsters found in another realm accessible by mysterious gates. The gates will sometimes open up in dungeons, unleashing the Behemoth within. They are much more powerful than regular monsters, with extremely high Attack and immunity to blows form the front and side"

I'm trying to think of how to semi-reliably deal with this already.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
In other news, Nippon Ichi will be releasing a "roguelike strategy RPG" called Bar Stella Abyss. https://www.gematsu.com/2023/11/nippon-ichi-software-announces-roguelike-strategy-rpg-bar-stella-abyss-for-ps5-ps4-and-switch

The preview here mainly talks about the cast, with practically no hard details about gameplay. I'm seeing some RL-style dungeon navigation and also an StS-style branching map, and an "energy" meter that's probably the hunger meter from Mystery Dungeon games.

NIS has released several console roguelikes before, each of which featured (a lot of) metaprogression on top of traditional roguelike dungeon-ing and combat. I'd assume this will be similar unless they say otherwise.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Not too much Shiren info there but I like the “sumo” buff you can get from very high fullness, that’s a fun way to add a little more nuance to food use.

The one thing I’m curious about is how the main quest is structured, there was a screenshot somewhere with a world map that had tons of points on it, which combined with all the dialogue we’ve seen in screenshots makes me think they might be doing something like 3 where the main story was a bunch of shorter dungeons rather than one long one? (Screenshot is in the reddit post here, but I don’t know where they got it from.)

I disliked it in 3 because they did the PMD thing of having permanent levels and only losing items on death, so you didn’t get the real roguelike experience until postgame, but they haven’t said anything about keeping levels here. If it’s just a bunch of shorter dungeons to ease new players in then that could be fun. Not too worried either way, I suspect the real game will start after the credits like always.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Chin Strap posted:

You can turn on outlines to distinguish friend from foe.

This is the #1 thing to do in Boneraiser Minions for sure.. I had a real difficult time esp on Steam Deck without it. But once I did that, it was great

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How is Touhou: Lost Branch of Legend?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Tequila Bob posted:

More Shiren 6 details! https://rpgamer.com/2023/11/shiren-the-wanderer-the-mystery-dungeon-of-serpentcoil-island-gets-more-details-characters/

"Behemoths are giant monsters found in another realm accessible by mysterious gates. The gates will sometimes open up in dungeons, unleashing the Behemoth within. They are much more powerful than regular monsters, with extremely high Attack and immunity to blows form the front and side"

I'm trying to think of how to semi-reliably deal with this already.

I’m already envisioning the ranking battle/“between x and y, who would win” teenage message board debate between Behemoth and Dungeon Shopkeeper

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

It's good. Some gameplay mechanics are a bit cumbersome (notably the Planeswalker equivalent) but it's pretty enjoyable. I'm a sucker for colored mana systems.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How many wins do you need in Astral Ascent to "win for real"? I'm on like ascension 4 right now and you don't really an indication that I can see of how close you are to actually beating the last boss instead of being cutscene killed after defeating him.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

malnourish posted:

It's good. Some gameplay mechanics are a bit cumbersome (notably the Planeswalker equivalent) but it's pretty enjoyable. I'm a sucker for colored mana systems.

Is the two hours refund window enough to see if I find it different enough from Slay the Spire? It is quite costly for a card game...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How many wins do you need in Astral Ascent to "win for real"? I'm on like ascension 4 right now and you don't really an indication that I can see of how close you are to actually beating the last boss instead of being cutscene killed after defeating him.

You need to beat him on Destiny 6 to start unlocking endings (there are 17 in total)

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Loddfafnir posted:

Is the two hours refund window enough to see if I find it different enough from Slay the Spire? It is quite costly for a card game...

If you want something very different from Slay the Spire, I don't think you'll find it with Lost Branch of Legend, as the two are very similar. However, the differences it does have make me like it more than StS.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lost Branch of legend is pretty goat'd but like, all the events for the most part are straight up 1 to 1s of events from STS lol.

Its great though, and it has Kosuzu! Yay! Kosuzu!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

Not too much Shiren info there but I like the “sumo” buff you can get from very high fullness, that’s a fun way to add a little more nuance to food use.

The one thing I’m curious about is how the main quest is structured, there was a screenshot somewhere with a world map that had tons of points on it, which combined with all the dialogue we’ve seen in screenshots makes me think they might be doing something like 3 where the main story was a bunch of shorter dungeons rather than one long one? (Screenshot is in the reddit post here, but I don’t know where they got it from.)

I disliked it in 3 because they did the PMD thing of having permanent levels and only losing items on death, so you didn’t get the real roguelike experience until postgame, but they haven’t said anything about keeping levels here. If it’s just a bunch of shorter dungeons to ease new players in then that could be fun. Not too worried either way, I suspect the real game will start after the credits like always.

They'd never do it but shiren x ADoM would loving own. With a singular post game dungeon of course.

Kinda wish more games in the traditional style were doing the multiple paths with differing challenges the way DCSS did. I know tome does that but it's not accessible as far as I know. That's something else I miss, terminal roguelikes.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 22, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Azran posted:

You need to beat him on Destiny 6 to start unlocking endings (there are 17 in total)

Oh ok TY.

On that note: is Octave just really OP or something? Haven't lost a single time since I unlocked him.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Has anyone done a knowledgeable let's play of Returnal?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1175460/view/3871468783998274729?l=english

Revita 2.0 might not be totally dead after all? :ohdear:

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
I spent 20 hours on The Void Rains Upon Her Heart lately, I'm almost at 45% completion and it's such a great game. The alternative hearts are really fun to play with.
Still haven't managed to win on torrential difficulty though.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh ok TY.

On that note: is Octave just really OP or something? Haven't lost a single time since I unlocked him.

Between his range and how auto-target centric a lot of his spells are, Octave is definitely the easiest character by a pretty far margin, yeah. You can do max DPS with no risk from across the screen, his sig ability is zero-risk guaranteed reward, you get about twice the range of the next longest-range character to easily pop shots and regain mana.

They aren't as much fun as Muscle Punch Man IMO but they are 100% the correct choice to make progress with.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I picked up Rift Wizard in the Steam sale, starting to dip my toes back into some traditional roguelikes after a while away from the genre. I really love how compact and tightly designed it feels - every level has this real mean knife fight in a phone booth feeling. The spells, skills and the synergies between them all feel really cool, a number of the enemies have forced me to radically reconsider how to approach a realm given their immunities, abilities or combinations thereof. Just really good poo poo all around. It's remarkable just how quickly a run can go sideways though as you realise you're burning through more and more resources just to read water and the enemy gate is slightly too far away to deal with but it keeps pumping out monsters and poo poo I really should've picked this spell and oops too late I'm dead.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Lost Branch of legend is pretty goat'd but like, all the events for the most part are straight up 1 to 1s of events from STS lol.

Its great though, and it has Kosuzu! Yay! Kosuzu!
A lot of the cards, artifacts and enemy patterns are straight up copies as well lol

I was kinda lukewarm on the game for that reason, not because the game is bad but because I've already seen a lot of it after hundreds of hours of StS. But then I unlocked Cirno and with her having access to planeswalkers from MtG instead I've been loving it.
I'm not super fond of the rather meme-y art that's on (too) many of her cards though, but from what little I know of Touhou and Cirno I guess it's on brand :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

It's great, though it is not at all shy about its obvious inspiration and origins. It's very much Slay the Spire but with Touhou characters and very pretty art/effects/music.

The primary swerve in the core mechanics compared to its inspiration source is the addition of colored mana types like Magic the Gathering, with each color very broadly themed like MTG(red is generally big damage, white is generally defensive/sustain, blue is generally card draw/fuckery, green is generally ramping/growth, black is generally debuffs). Each character has the choice of two bi-color decks that each emphasize a different color and also have their own starting artifact that provides its own gameplay gimmick. Every character has at least some unique cards in all colors, even the ones that aren't "native" to them(e.g. Cirno's starting decks are blue/green or green/blue, but she has numerous unique cards in white/black and a couple in red), and in Act 1 you choose one of the other characters as the boss you fight and can yoink one of their starting relics(which also uniquely opens up their card pool to you), which means that you have a lot of flexibility in color splashes and builds.

I honestly enjoy it more than StS at a base level, though I've only put about 11 hours into it so far so I haven't seen the super sweaty ascension level stuff yet because I've been switching characters too much to try builds rather than pushing my ascension levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

WarpedLichen posted:

I wish there was an Autobattler thread, I'm also really enjoying Backpack Battles and I still play Super Autopets regularly.
I will make it.

Suggest me a good thread title!