Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

LI spreading out into War of the Beast or the Scourging seems like the easiest thing to do. You could easily add Xenos factions with a few sprues and resin kits each, but it only makes sense to ease in slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh, I didn't realize Knights are smaller than Titans.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Ya, Knights have just one pilot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lostconfused posted:

Considerably. A Questoris-pattern knight is like 12m lore-wise, Cerastus maybe a bit taller, meanwhile the smallest "scout" titan, the Warhound, clocks in at 17m and change. And then they scale up from there to "could be the battlefield that Imperial Knights walk on" size. There's no consistently cited size for Imperators because there isn't really an intent besides "stupid big" but different sources have put them anywhere between 50m and 100m.

e: apparently there's a novel that pegs the same titan -- not two of the same class, mind, literally the same named vehicle, the Dies Irae -- at 43m and 140m in different chapters, making it both the largest and smallest Emperor-class :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 20, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So a VF-1 Valkyrie battroid mode to RX-78 Gundam mobile suit, I guess the armigers or whatever are closer to an AV-98 Ingram labor.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Considering GW's previous track record with "larger" scale games, I'm not putting much faith into there being a 40k version. Unless LI does remarkably well, but that remains to be seen.

One personal theory I have as to why they went with 30k with this, outside of it just being compartmentalised to lessen the blow if it fails, is that they had all of the units available in digital form. Something which made shrinking them down to LI scales easier, but they don't have the same availability for some 40k units.

It wouldn't be this. Designing for 6mm is drastically different from designing for 28/32mm, something shrunk down looks wrong, and is much too fragile at 6mm. Not to mention you can't have undercuts in plastic injection molds.

This edition is essentially a soft reboot of Epic going back to Space Marine, people remember that game fondly, and it was mirrored teams of Space Marines because that is less SKUs.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm sorry, I never experienced BattleTech outside of the novels and video games, so I can't use it for understanding of scale or size.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The reason it's Horus Heresy is the same reason they invented the Horus Heresy for the first A.Titanicus: Maximum armies from minimal sprues.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Virtual Russian posted:

It wouldn't be this. Designing for 6mm is drastically different from designing for 28/32mm, something shrunk down looks wrong, and is much too fragile at 6mm. Not to mention you can't have undercuts in plastic injection molds.

This edition is essentially a soft reboot of Epic going back to Space Marine, people remember that game fondly, and it was mirrored teams of Space Marines because that is less SKUs.

Space Marine eventually becoming Epic after a similar start is why I think LI 40k will eventually exist

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thread, I need some advice.

I've got several hundred dollars of unpainted figures I don't really like, and I'm tempted to buy more but I'm worried I'll just end up feeling the same way?

I tried to get back into the hobby in the run - up to 10th edition, and I ended up buying the Horus Heresy and Levithan boxes. This makes it pretty easy to build up to 2k points in various ways, but I'm finding I don't have any passion for most of the figures. It's a combination of me not actually liking either the aesthetic of either 30k or Primaris. So I've got 40 legionaries that are sort of neat but I don't love their heresy-pattern shoulder pads and bolt guns, I've got a contemptor dread I think looks dumb, the devastators I made have the problem of being a neglected unit nowadays, etc.

Most of the Levithan box I like, but that's a much smaller force, so I'd have to purchase quite a few boxes to get back up to 2k points. There's also the problem that I don't like most of the modern Primaris line, so I'm worried the entire army just may not be the best choice for me any more - I love the new Levithan Captain, Terminator, and Sternguard, and I think the Bladeguard are awesome, but I struggle to find a full 2k in space marines I'd really love.

On the one hand I tell myself I've already spent a lot of money on figures I haven't painted, and I should just paint what I have and then see how I feel when that's done. I'm not exaggerating to say that I must have a years worth of painting here, there's plenty to do. But on the other hand, aside from most of the Levithan Box I don't actually like most of what I have, and I'm tempted to start over with another faction. I'm not made of money but I'm an adult, with an adult's recreational income, and I certainly could start on another faction, it just feels wasteful. Which faction I'd play is another issue, I'll set that aside for now.

I want to play 40k, or at least I think I do, but last weekend I looked at my figures and said "man I don't even want to paint half this poo poo" and start looking at what it would cost to spin up another Faction to 1k.

So what do you think thread, where is the sunk cost fallacy, in assembling, painting, and all the hobbying with figures I don't like, or in buying a new army for a game I've played twice since 10th came out?

Well, what Marine factions do you like first of all?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Demilich posted:

Well, what Marine factions do you like first of all?

I like Imperial Fists but found painting them to be too difficult - I batch painted the base coat on most of the HH box and I'm really not happy with it; it's splotchy and uneven and I haven't been able to fix with additional layers.

I test painted a retro Ultramarines scheme using Vallejo magic blue and it was much easier, but maybe that's part of the frustration here, I've actually done some painting and have basically nothing to show for it. I really should have test painted a model to completion before batch painting forty marines poorly.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A real life tank company in the US of Russia already has more than ten tanks, just ten seems pretty tame by imperium standards

I think they definitely twisted the organisation down to make it match the feasible quantities they'd got used to selling tanks in. A troop of 3 tanks is more buy-able, and usable on the tabletop, than 4. Maybe it also reflects that a real-life modern tank squadron/company of ~14 tanks is actually a much more serious force than a dismounted infantry company (which conversely is slightly smaller than the 40k version). They

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The LI designers would have had to digitize almost all of the solar auxilia range. It was basically done by one guy back before FW really embraced digital sculpting. The tiny infantry also doesn't line up that much with the 28mm guys with the loss of detail. Even their basic infantry are surprisingly detailed with tons of bolts, rivets, etc. holding their armor together. They even have flanges. :swoon:

There are rumors going around that they'll get a 28mm plastic release. There's a mystery army floating around on the 30k roadmap for this Winter. It's supposed to be vehicles only though with the infantry staying resin. I hope that bit's wrong, but plastic dracosans and malcadors would still go a long way. I have an infantry force meant for Zone Mortalis that I could expand to a full-fledged army. All I'm really missing is armor.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Professor Shark posted:

I know I’m a wet blanket, but I vastly preferred when the Heresy was a huge event that took place so long ago that fact mixes with fiction. Things are much better when they’re murky, but I know that fans demand clarity and specifics.

This is a perfectly reasonable take and I'm not just saying that because I agree.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jack B Nimble I think you should not play a space marine army if you don't like the models. Look at all the other factions and pick the one where you actually like the models. Then sell your current stuff, or maybe set them to the side to see if your feelings change.

I will chime in to say that nu-Epic with only SM and Guard doesn't appeal to me so I do hope it expands in the coming years but I don't believe it will happen.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If someone pushed a box of the LI pre-Guard tanks in my hands I wouldn't say no to painting them, but otherwise I'm still miffed that both the Valkyries and Vultures are gone for the considerable time being.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

If someone pushed a box of the LI pre-Guard tanks in my hands I wouldn't say no to painting them, but otherwise I'm still miffed that both the Valkyries and Vultures are gone for the considerable time being.

I genuinely don't know why things like valkyries and chimeras aren't in 30k. I've tried to look up their lore to see if they were simply discovered later or what. I haven't really found anything. They're even in a number of the BL books! Valkyries and vultures would open up some really cool options for militia forces even if solar auxilia aren't allowed them. Same with chimeras. The militia list instead uses trucks as transports which is really fitting, but maybe their smaller/slightly more elite units like grenadiers might prefer something a little more professional.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

S.J. posted:

This is a perfectly reasonable take and I'm not just saying that because I agree.

While I don't disagree, that ship sailed in like 2010 and I've come to peace with it in the intervening years

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Horus Heresy stuff doesn't seem as big of a deal as advancing the story with "We can just 3D print all the space marines we want now." Well maybe it's an insightful metaphor for the hobby these days.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Improbable Lobster posted:

While I don't disagree, that ship sailed in like 2010 and I've come to peace with it in the intervening years

Sure, it's not like I'm renting an ad truck to drive around GW headquarters complaining about it or something. It's just too bad. That being said, we wouldn't be seeing any game in the LI scale if it weren't for HH popularity, because there's no way they'd want competing 40k miniature games at the same time ever again. I don't see them ever bringing out a true version of epic ever again for that reason alone.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I collect regular 40k, but like HH way more as a setting. Though I'm not sure if that's because I actually think it's better, or if because when I was getting into Warhammer 15 years ago nothing at all was happening in the main story after I had caught up on it but these cool little books were coming out constantly around that time that were furthering this other time period's story a couple times a year.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I assume side games or tournaments are held for older mini wargame systems at the larger conventions and gatherings? Are there wargamers out there still running games of Epic 40k?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A real life tank company in the US of Russia already has more than ten tanks, just ten seems pretty tame by imperium standards

ten tanks (3 platoons of 3 and a company hq) is a realistic size for a soviet tank company in the cold war

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Jack B Nimble posted:

I like Imperial Fists but found painting them to be too difficult - I batch painted the base coat on most of the HH box and I'm really not happy with it; it's splotchy and uneven and I haven't been able to fix with additional layers.

I test painted a retro Ultramarines scheme using Vallejo magic blue and it was much easier, but maybe that's part of the frustration here, I've actually done some painting and have basically nothing to show for it. I really should have test painted a model to completion before batch painting forty marines poorly.

Yellow is a difficult color. I'm not sure what color your basecoat is, but a lot of people do black with a grey to white zenithal blend and then rely on contrast paints, others like spraying yellow directly. These are doable, but I find it easier to prime orange, then use pink as a zenithal, which will give you a really sweet yellow with a natural gradient. You can also use brown for the deepest shadow recesses.

My honest first recommendation to give you a bit of zest for the marines was to use extra bits and bobbles to customize them a bit and make them more in line with your expectations. But Imperial Fists unfortunately don't have much in terms of extra accessories that change their silhouette like Night Lords, Blood Angels, and others. There's still the option of Imperial Fists upgrade sprues though which add shoulder options plus a bunch of power fists. Adding greenstuff capes can help as well. Since you like the Leviathan box, kitbashing your HH marines to look like them would be my first recommendation. There's got to be loads of extra bits from Leviathan to help accomplish this.

Another thing you can do though is add armor plating, for example: (note: these aren't mine)

By adding little bits of plasticard or greenstuff you can really change up the marine design. Note that the additions are very simple shapes. That little cog you can get from Michael's (in the US) for a few $ as well, they're a random pack with a lot of different designs.

Do you like chains? Hop on aliexpress or another site and buy some tiny tiny jewelry chain, you can get a whole spool for $5.

Like studded armor? You can go through the hassle of drilling/sinking little balls all over a model, or, you can get the greenstuff world rivets silicon mold that has 4 styles (rounds, diamonds, bolts and a different type of flat bolt). Grab some milliput and you can just glue those bastards right on after a few hours of curing. I especially recommend milliput over greenstuff for this as it's faster and easier to clean up. I literally just mash it into the mold, use a plastic card to scrape of the excess, and then dip my finger in water and run it over the mold to smooth things out, it's super easy.

The new HH Contemptors lack bling, add some bling to that bad lad. Add armor plating, capes, robes, seals, chains, whatever your heart desires. I looked up the Goonhammer IF recs and it seems they have a niche for running Redemptors, do those look good to you? Additionally tanks and eradicators are on the menu. Maybe turn those devastators into eradicators!

Don't want to do any of that poo poo?
In that case I'd also back the recommendation for Kill Team. You could divide up your 40x lads into various unique kill teams, that way if you find you get tired of doing one type of marine/color/kitbashing you have other options (and more options for extra bits usage for different legions!).

Also shoving it into a corner and coming back to it later is always a valid option, as is outright selling the models to fund the new army of your choice. I think you've got a lot of great options though.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 20, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The moment you look at an IG TOE&E and have even the slightest knowledge about that they usually fall apart pretty fast.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's why every regiment has their own chart or no chart so you can imagine it to be whatever you want.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure they are all standardised as per the Tactica Imperialis, just to make all regiments co-dependant of each other.
Even then they are usually really badly thought out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Do you like chains? Hop on aliexpress or another site and buy some tiny tiny jewelry chain, you can get a whole spool for $5.

Goddamn you aren't kidding. I can snag 3ft of tiny rear end jewelry chain for 69 (nice) cents off AliExpress right now.

Which I'd probably recieve sometime late 2024 early 2025...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cooked Auto posted:

The moment you look at an IG TOE&E and have even the slightest knowledge about that they usually fall apart pretty fast.

To be fair they do operate on british rules. In the idk it's somewhere between Napoléon and WW2 pastiche that is the Guard, the regiment isn't a tactical unit like it might be in France or the USA or a similar normal (:smug:) country. Each regiment is going to have as many bataillons as it likes, and then they get smushed together. 2nd Coldstream Space Guards, 19th Emperor's Own Shropshiricus Fancylads, and 57th High Lords' Own Guardsmen of Necromunda form the 14,524th Mechanized Infantry Brigade.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure they are all standardised as per the Tactica Imperialis, just to make all regiments co-dependant of each other.
Even then they are usually really badly thought out.

Quick search on Lexicanum says that book was Dan Abnett and only covers the Sabbat Worlds Crusade, which was written by Dan Abnett. And the only game regiment that shows up in it is a few Cadians?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I had forgotten the correct name for it was Tactica Imperium and not Imperialis.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

AndyElusive posted:

Goddamn you aren't kidding. I can snag 3ft of tiny rear end jewelry chain for 69 (nice) cents off AliExpress right now.

Which I'd probably recieve sometime late 2024 early 2025...

I usually get my orders in about 2-4 weeks, it's really not too bad surprisingly.

Unfortunately in 2023 they're are no mini reseller accounts anymore. I miss the days of $20 perfectly replicated Mortarions and other units. Great place to buy bases though!

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow the review goonhammer did for legionis imperialis is really scathing, looks like this isnt the return to epic people were hoping for

https://www.goonhammer.com/legions-imperialis-system-review/

Well that's disappointing, I heard new epic and was really looking forward to that but now that I've learned it's essentially imperial only its kinda flattened all my interest. I hope the do a real 40k epic sometime in the future.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Yeah once the rules started to get previewed, a lot of the Epic players in the specialist GW games thread were pretty down on it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And then hype got flattened when the prices leaked. $50 for a box of four drop pods.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Space Marine eventually becoming Epic after a similar start is why I think LI 40k will eventually exist

I so hope you are right.

Muir posted:

Yeah once the rules started to get previewed, a lot of the Epic players in the specialist GW games thread were pretty down on it.

A quick summery

They reverted to rules from 1989, which means there is a lot of weird late 80s and early 90s wargaming hallmarks, such as way too much to keep track of. The version of Epic LI is based on was very much so a well loved game, but it had undeniable issues that were solved in later editions. Those solutions abstracted some things to vastly speed up the game, those changes remain a point of contention in the epic community. All those solutions are gone now though, and the new solution to how long games took, and how much there was to track, is to simply have less models in a game than previous version. It is a simple solution, but if you wanted a mass battle game using less models just seems wrong. My suspicion is that the game will kick rear end at low points, essentially being a skirmish game with tiny guys, but big 3k points games will be a slog.

This is still speculation until we actually get the rulebook and stop basing everything on BatReps and press releases. I'd encourage people to check it out and keep an open mind.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

moths posted:

It's got the jarring messaging of things said in a contrasting tone. Like when the guy who hates horror movies gets sent to review a slasher.

Which is fine, I suppose. All the words are legible on the page and form sentences. Some readers might prefer an ambiguous and non-committal review, even if others are saddened by its ultimate meaninglessness.

it's not a super well-written review (although I don't want to go in too hard on, y'know, a blog post written for the love of the hobby), but it is largely negative.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/20/the-adeptus-mechanicus-unearth-stcs-for-new-detachment-rules/

Our first AdMech codex preview has been uploaded to the noosphere for your perusal.

that sticky objective strat is interesting. significantly less useful for a home objective but very handy for snatching up a loose objective in a risky way, since you don't need the unit to survive to your next command phase

The Demilich posted:

I usually get my orders in about 2-4 weeks, it's really not too bad surprisingly.

Unfortunately in 2023 they're are no mini reseller accounts anymore. I miss the days of $20 perfectly replicated Mortarions and other units. Great place to buy bases though!

as a point of correction, there are recasters on aliexpress again, but they have to hide from search with a highly obfuscated catalog and their prices are not especially enticing. highly recommend you don't bother even if you buy recasts for whatever reason.

aliexpress is still a good place for generic bases, though. just remember that they're probably not styrene plastic, so your plastic cement won't work on them.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Jack B Nimble posted:

I forget their color, but pick up that color from Private press formula p3. The pigments are really good in it imo and provide superior coverage.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Imperial fist contrast paint is bright as gently caress over the laziest of slapchop jobs. Base coat burnt sienna, overbrush ivory or other yellowy off white (you don't even have to be good at this, you can get a good job without this layer being fully opaque and with lovely brush marks), dunk in a contrast. Then do some details. Ez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Noticed that the Dark Angels book is now referred to as "Codex Supplement: Dark Angels", so I would imagine a smaller book to be used with the main marine one. Which I would think means it will have fewer Detachments in, although I'd hope there's a Deathwing one better than the First Company one in the main book.

I guess that can really only be used for divergent Space Marines? I think all the shared Chaos units are tweaked for each Legion that can take them, setting aside that they have different army special rules, and there would be exclusions from the main Chaos book.