Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fantomius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

nice

i made this for the Denver/Minnesota NFL game thread last night

to be posted according to how we played (we ended up winning, yay!)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Cooking Papa, Cook 15: Burn Chicken to Your Heart's Content

Cooking Papa bless us, every one.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ah I remember I had a BMX bike too

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mommy, you smell like alcohol!

yeah merry christmas to you too you little poo poo

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

mommy, you smell like alcohol!

yeah merry christmas to you too you little poo poo

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Hempuli posted:

...And that's all the Fingerpori I had! There's a back cover illustration and I'm not 100% sure if it appeared as a comic in the book but I doubt I'll scan that anyway, so this is it for now. I hope you enjoyed this look into the comic; I feel that since usually people only bother to post only the better/odder strips from it, this was kind of a look "behind the scenes" in terms of seeing how varying the quality can be overall.

Thanks for posting it, I liked it a lot! It inspired me to try my hand at posting another almost-untranslatable weird comic (and I should really get back on that, the holidays put a giant dent in my will to do things).

Finnish psychology comix

Hempuli posted:

2/2018 - SoMe
Notes:
- In Finnish, social media is very frequently shortened to just "some", while it feels like that's a much rarer an abbreviation in English.

It doesn't help that the comics font has no capital/lower distinction so it's really hard to read it as anything else than 'some', this was very confusing until I read the notes below.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

LOOK BACK by Tatsuki Fujimoto

I'm glad to see this is the thread! It's very good.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm starting to feel like I should apologize when I post more 8 Easy Bits

Okay, the grocery stealing game got a chuckle out of me.

CW: ableist language, jokes about mental health and suicide

Were mall goths a real thing in the US or did they just exist in fiction?

In fairness, when I was a teen I did date someone who was obsessed with Marilyn Manson and had self-harm tendencies, so that part is real at least. Hope he's doing better these days.

I have no worthwhile comment on this filler comic.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: The House of Mirrors

Emzedoh posted:

How have I only just noticed that the rami have icons on their cloaks personalised to their powers? They really are medieval X-men.

Look, Ryuka's has little trumpet blasts!
Yeah it's a nice subtle design touch! There's some great little details hidden in the costuming.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Woebin posted:

Were mall goths a real thing in the US or did they just exist in fiction?

They were very, very real.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Osmosisch posted:

It doesn't help that the comics font has no capital/lower distinction so it's really hard to read it as anything else than 'some', this was very confusing until I read the notes below.

danish journalists use the SoMe abbreviation too, but im pretty surer theyre literally the only ones. ive never heard anyone who isn't a journalist use it.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rare to see a dominic deegan in colour

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

Missed a day yesterday, so here's a longer post to catch up a bit. Which works out, because this chapter doesn't really have a lot of good breakpoints.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have to say, of all the things I thought we might see in Lavender Jack, a synthetically-astute computationer was not one of them.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Lame Selfie Bee

loving Nancy

sometimes i'll see loving nancy on my dashboard and it makes me really happy since my ask was what you first drew her for (◡‿◡✿)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:hai:

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Nick & Lever chapters 3 - 5

Chapter 5 is definitely my kind of jam, I love this kind of stuff.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

I love this chapter.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Holy poo poo Nick & Lever is laugh out loud funny

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How is there so much good stuff on one page. Bugle is getting nice and nightmarish, the moron bro comic is glorious, and normally a 1920s AI would feel gimmicky, but Dan can pull it off!

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

i made this for the Denver/Minnesota NFL game thread last night

to be posted according to how we played (we ended up winning, yay!)

I'm glad you got to use the winner image!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Youremother posted:

Americans are so wacky.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

Harsh Prospect

(larger update to keep the chapter structure)

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Youremother posted:

Instantly likeable dudes with unbridled optimism.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm glad you got to use the winner image!

oh i definitely posted both, as we are a team of clowns that somehow pulled off a win against a stronger opponent

e: speaking of clowns, 2 more days til the next clown corps update post ITT

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Lisa Lisa dodges the sneak attack and counters with a kick, melting "Mr. Truck's" head! But oh no, it was a fake! The real Mr. Truck stabs her in the back and is like "why would I fight you one on one when I could just kill you and take the stone lol"! Jos3ph is pissed!

Read right to left:

Chapter 106 - It's a Yo-Yo Relationship, You Know

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Youremother posted:

Yeah it's my favorite of the newer ones, even though it's really hard to pick. The thread is seriously all bangers, it's hard to keep up lol

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

Thanks for posting it, I liked it a lot! It inspired me to try my hand at posting another almost-untranslatable weird comic (and I should really get back on that, the holidays put a giant dent in my will to do things).

Thanks for the thanks! I'm glad if it could inspire you!
Also dang, I somehow completely missed that of course just writing social media as "some" is going to be confusing due to the existing word "some". Well, that explains why that abbreviation is less used in English-speaking areas, I guess, haha.

GREAT
by Ryan Armand

Finnish psychology comix
2/2014 - Powerpuff Tutors

Notes:
- I was considering not translating this at all because the "Tehotutorit" logo couldn't really be localized in a good way.
Tehotytöt = Powerpuff Girls
Teho = Power, efficiency, efficacy etc
Tehotutorit = Power Tutors, with a nice alliteration
- Over here first-year students get a group of tutors who organize a bunch of introductory meetings/parties, are available for telling about how things work and in general try to make the process of getting into the flow of student life as frictionless as possible. In my case the standard was ~10 tutors, with the student group (about ~55 students) divided between 5 tutor pairs so that each new student (known as "fuksi") had two "own" tutors. IMO this system worked really well, although obviously a lot depended on the exact student-tutor (and student-student) dynamics.
- When I started studying, alcohol was *very* central to the whole experience, which was visible also in the way our tutors organized events for us. Since then, started by the tutors from my year class, there has been an intentional shift towards less pressure to get drunk and more events/parties where you can also just hang around; I prefer hanging out and chatting to partying and so on, so this change was super welcome and I tried to put emphasis on it when I was a tutor myself during 2013-2014.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I don't literally lol at comics very often, but the Super Tutor Abilities made it happen.
(Also yeah, some has to be the most confusing abbrev. possible for english speakers)

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

It's okay if you have SoMe questions

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think I'm good, Ronnie :yikes:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 30: Insignificant Pawn

Character development haircut! The other guy is Akechi Hidemitsu, not to be confused the main Akechi, Akechi Mitsuhide. Hidemitsu is his son in law, he actually took that name when he married Akechi's daughter. Talk about kiss-rear end! One more thing I noticed when I double checking that: that armour he's wearing, the author didn't make it up, it's his actual armour that's survived to modern day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akechi_Hidemitsu

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 23: Of Toshinori

Toshinori, you're not a very good spy, are you?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The end! Thank you for joining this journey of giving up on your dreams.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I had a pretty similar experience in the 5th or 6th grade as "the kid that draws" vs. "the new kid that's better at drawing".

Definitely didn't leave any lasting scars, nope.

gently caress you, Shelby, I hope you're not still a psychopath.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

field balm posted:

2002.06.21 - Alice and Karen IV

2002.06.24 - Epitaph

2002.06.26 - Studded Leather

2002.06.28 - Hot Topic II

2002.07.01 - Mountain Dew

2002.07.03 - Is He Human

2002.07.04 - Sandman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fantomius - The Escape of Fantomius (transl. by secondhandscanlations)

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Nov 25, 2023