Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
secret invasion was a fantasy nick had while going through a messy divorce, and loki s2 is the end of the kang dynasty plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Loki S2 is good. It’s worth a watch and only 6 episodes

I strongly disagree. It was an enormous waste of time and big disappointment after the actually great first season.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Loki was great.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The_Doctor posted:

It’s weird people have gone from “You’ve got to watch it all! The MCU is all connected!” to that now being a reason people aren’t watching it. “You’ve got to watch 2 other tv series and a movie to understand it.” Like, ok? That was always the point of the MCU?? :confused:

ImpAtom posted:

I can't speak for anyone else but for me the breaking point was the television shows where it just killed any interest for me. I don't subscribe to D+ or want to subscribe to Disney+ and that already drains the interest for me. Marvel films were kind of fun as an excuse to go out to the movies and watch something with friends but the television shows were just a mental step too far for me. I have the same problem with Star Wars where everything being tied into like 6 seasons of a cartoon show I thought looked hideous just means I don't caaaaaare.
The interesting part is that if you look at the earlier years of the MCU they had Agents of Shield and Agent Carter and The Inhumans on regular TV and Cloak and Dagger on cable and the 5 interconnected Netflix shows and the kids cartoons on cable and as far as I can tell no one felt they had to watch any of it to enjoy the movies. So Disney must have been successful with their messaging that the movies are primary and TV is secondary and never will the latter be must watch viewing.

But since Disney+ it appears that Disney gave everyone the impression that these Disney+ shows are just as important and just as prominent as the movies and after all, they're just another thing you sit at home and stream with the family... just like the movies (and why go to the theater, after all?). It appears to be quite a backfire - look at us here, discussing if Loki ends the Kang Dynasty or how to reconcile the Nick Fury of The Marvels with the Nick Fury of Secret Invasion (and if the answer is "the movies ignore Secret Invasion" then perhaps Disney has mislead us all with regards to their Disney+ shows being "canon").

Evergreen:

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 19, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

It's a bit misleading because it doesn't include

quote:

Agents of Shield and Agent Carter and The Inhumans on regular TV and Cloak and Dagger on cable and the 5 interconnected Netflix shows and the kids cartoons on cable

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a bit misleading because it doesn't include
Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. People didn't seem to have an impression that those shows were essential or important to the MCU, or even part of it, but the opposite appears to be the case in the Disney+ era.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

For me, a big thing is probably just that several of the recent projects manifestly stunk, and even the good stuff had worrying issues that portended how things were unspooling. Secret Invasion, Quantumania, Love & Thunder, The Eternals, Black Widow depending on who you ask, they each had some things in them to appreciate, I guess, but ultimately had way more problems on the balance. Stuff that shook out better still had clunky poo poo like the "standing on a green screen boat deck finale" of Black Panther 2, the ultimately kinda crappy and mealy mouthed politics of FatWS, all the ending effects of Black Widow, some of the effects in She Hulk, the list goes on. Cracks were mounting.

And then we learned how bad the working conditions were for the special effects and visual effects teams, and saw how every movie or film project seemed to open up three new franchises in them that won't be paid off for 12 years and it all really began to feel like we were sitting in the exhaust port of a content excretion machine that was running hotter than tolerances could support rather than watching a thoughtfully connected and unfolding comic book world.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A couple things played in the favor of the beginning and how streaming was handled versus where they needed up.

One was the post credit teasers being about the next movie or one of the next movies. Was already drumming up the feeling of needing to check what was next.

It was also just obvious the streaming shows were separate or for hardcore fans. Granted you still run into Goons who bought the lie that AoS was going to tie into things, you never saw cameos from the movie stars.

The Disney+ run started with Loki and Wandavision which immediately muddied the waters into what was or wasn’t necessary and both tied back to movie moments.

Streaming originals had also evolved quite a bit to being an extension of TV to being and extension of cinema.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just find it odd that they are introducing Sentry in that movie, of all movies

The recent version of the team started with a breakout of the prison Sentry had been chilling in for a whole oh wait that's Dark Avengers never mind

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Shageletic posted:

The recent version of the team started with a breakout of the prison Sentry had been chilling in for a whole oh wait that's Dark Avengers never mind

That was in new avengers

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

The Dave posted:

A couple things played in the favor of the beginning and how streaming was handled versus where they needed up.

One was the post credit teasers being about the next movie or one of the next movies. Was already drumming up the feeling of needing to check what was next.

It was also just obvious the streaming shows were separate or for hardcore fans. Granted you still run into Goons who bought the lie that AoS was going to tie into things, you never saw cameos from the movie stars.

The Disney+ run started with Loki and Wandavision which immediately muddied the waters into what was or wasn’t necessary and both tied back to movie moments.

Streaming originals had also evolved quite a bit to being an extension of TV to being and extension of cinema.

AoS did have a few people from the movies show up namely Samuel l Jackson and Jamie alexander

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Agents of SHIELD only tied in one way. The TV show treated the movies as canon but as far as the movies were concerned the AoS, Cloak & Dagger, and the Netflix shows didn't exist. They're being really coy with the "maybe it's the same Daredevil/Kingpin/etc" for the actors who are playing the same characters in the movies and Disney+ stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wonder if the plans regarding the Daredevil show have since changed, because they filmed a bunch of stuff but the studio reaction to it was really bad, and they just threw all of that out. So at this point it's hard to say what we're getting from Daredevil.

At least with Daredevil/Punisher/street level heroes you can keep that to the side and not really need to connect it to the films as much if you don't want to. There is enough meat in the Daredevil-centric characters/villains that you don't really need to have much crossover. Although I would like to see some Spider-Man/Daredevil crossover since they share some of the same villains.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

8one6 posted:

Agents of SHIELD only tied in one way. The TV show treated the movies as canon but as far as the movies were concerned the AoS, Cloak & Dagger, and the Netflix shows didn't exist. They're being really coy with the "maybe it's the same Daredevil/Kingpin/etc" for the actors who are playing the same characters in the movies and Disney+ stuff.

I think it was sort of implied Fury got the deus ex machina helicarrier at the end of Age of Ultron from Coulson, but also didn't really matter where if you didn't watch the show.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I'm hoping we get from Daredevil is a sense that he is active a lot. That's part of the appeal of the street-level heroes, that they're out there in the city constantly, as opposed to the heroes so far in the MCU that seem mostly limited to missions or big events. It's like with professional athletes vs. Olympic. LeBron and Michael Phelps can both be amazing and at the top of their games but with Phelps it's like that was cool, ok see you in a few years!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AoS's positioning around the Hydra twist of Winter Soldier was excellent but set expectations way to high for the rest of the series whenever a new movie came out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Echo looks like it's going to be a Daredevil/Defenders prequel so they probably didn't change too much. Sounded like there just wasn't enough action, which tbf is pretty concerning in an 18 episode show

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FlamingLiberal posted:

At least with Daredevil/Punisher/street level heroes you can keep that to the side and not really need to connect it to the films as much if you don't want to. There is enough meat in the Daredevil-centric characters/villains that you don't really need to have much crossover. Although I would like to see some Spider-Man/Daredevil crossover since they share some of the same villains.

I really wish they would keep Spidey street-level outside of the big crossovers, myself. Saw most of Far From Home for the first time in awhile yesterday, and it's sad that the best scene in the whole thing is the restaurant fight that was cut.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's very possible that the fourth film will go back to that, to a degree. Now that he is essentially by himself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I really wish they would keep Spidey street-level outside of the big crossovers, myself. Saw most of Far From Home for the first time in awhile yesterday, and it's sad that the best scene in the whole thing is the restaurant fight that was cut.

It's an absolute outrage they cut that. It's not like anybody would have been like "hm, that movie was a bit long. About... four minutes too long, I'd say. They really should have cut that perfect blend of actual classic Spidey wit & fighting style. His films sorely need that stuff but the scene was superfluous!"

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Okay, I just learned there was an extended edition of Far From Home from this post. How did I miss this?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I realize that "street level" is a concept that has a lot of elasticity but, he was fighting a guy trying to (accidentally) destroy the world with the power of the sun in the second movie

I don't think we're ever going to have a Spider-Man film where he fights the Enforcers in act 1 and Silvermane in Act 3. All the moreso now that "Spider-Verse" is in the rotation of go-to high profile stories, considering all the potential for variation there (arguably No Way Home was one of those)

i blame slott

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

OnimaruXLR posted:

I realize that "street level" is a concept that has a lot of elasticity but, he was fighting a guy trying to (accidentally) destroy the world with the power of the sun in the second movie

my hot takes about the Raimi-verse aside, at least that guy was in New York instead of DC or London

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Putting out the sun by dunking it in the Hudson counts as a street-level solution.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

my hot takes about the Raimi-verse aside, at least that guy was in New York instead of DC or London

DC and London also have streets

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What constitutes "street level?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

live with fruit posted:

What constitutes "street level?"

Fighting some regular street thugs in the first few pages before the real story arc kicks off where he fights an alien hivemind from the beginning of time created by the primordial force of darkness.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

DC and London also have streets

DC even has alleys to do crimes in, which NYC doesn't!

Buildings are much shorter, though, making web-slinging more of a pain

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Second trailer for Aquaman 2.

Looks... fine?

- I like some of the visual designs of Atlantis and the machines.

- The underwater CGI effect from the first movie still looks terrible to me.

- The CGI green underwater zombie devil looks incredibly bad.

- Mamoa is a great presence on screen, but just does a so-so delivery on line reads.

I don't really feel super excited or disappointed in it so far. It just kind of exists and doesn't look egregiously bad, but also doesn't look interesting enough to pay $15 to go to the theater.

https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1726660506029879307

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Second trailer for Aquaman 2.

Looks... fine?

- I like some of the visual designs of Atlantis and the machines.

- The underwater CGI effect from the first movie still looks terrible to me.

- The CGI green underwater zombie devil looks incredibly bad.

- Mamoa is a great presence on screen, but just does a so-so delivery on line reads.

I don't really feel super excited or disappointed in it so far. It just kind of exists and doesn't look egregiously bad, but also doesn't look interesting enough to pay $15 to go to the theater.

https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1726660506029879307

Oh yeah that Baby is absolutely going to die.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmao if they kill the baby like the classic aquaman story

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The baby dies, Aquaman loses his hand, or both. That's all there is to it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yep.

Aquaman 3: sub diego

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Marvels is expected to end its theatrical run early.

The final estimated box office for the movie is approximately $210 million GLOBALLY.

It cost $270 million to make and at least $100 million was spent on media and advertising.

That means it will not only be the first ever MCU film to lose money, but it will likely lose the studio close to a quarter billion dollars (~$220 million) and break The Flash's record for biggest studio financial loss.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah that Baby is absolutely going to die.

They are totally going for that fake-out, my guess is Orm dies (which is why you see the release of that villain) but they are pushing HARD to make you think Jr dies, because they know Comic book readers are going to lap up that fake out

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Brie Larson also confirmed that she will appear in another MCU movie, even though she is not officially cast in anything yet.

Assuming it will be The Avengers movies.

https://www.etonline.com/brie-larson-interview-the-marvels-carol-danvers-mcu-future-exclusive-215138

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Mr Hootington posted:

Yep.

Aquaman 3: sub diego

The trailer says this is aquaman last stand

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

90sgamer posted:

The trailer says this is aquaman last stand

Good thing he's a swimmer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

glitchwraith posted:

Good thing he's a swimmer.

Well, he was rumored to be the only one to survive the DC movie division being underwater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Marvels is expected to end its theatrical run early.

The final estimated box office for the movie is approximately $210 million GLOBALLY.

It cost $270 million to make and at least $100 million was spent on media and advertising.

That means it will not only be the first ever MCU film to lose money, but it will likely lose the studio close to a quarter billion dollars (~$220 million) and break The Flash's record for biggest studio financial loss.

YEESH