Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

I rented Second Sight and actually returned it the same day because after you take out the very first guard you can interact with the PC he was by and there's a chat window open where he's chatting with his girlfriend or whatever and after you kill him she's sending a few messages asking if stuff's okay and why he went quiet, and that hosed up teen Kitfox so bad I actually ended up having to go to the bathroom to puke. Probably belongs in the dragging things down thread more but still. :smith:

I know the game is old, but I'm going to spoiler tag this anyways, because the game deserves it:
This event doesn't actually happen, everything in the "present" missions is actually the main character in the "past" having visions of a possible future, because the first psychic power he unlocked was precognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Wish I'd known that 23 years ago or thereabout! But that is actually a pretty neat twist.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kitfox88 posted:

Wish I'd known that 23 years ago or thereabout! But that is actually a pretty neat twist.

I never got to that reveal, I got stuck on one of the last few missions as it was really long and difficult. The Stealth heavy ones.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Super Mario RPG: the game tells you when to press A now for attacking/guarding, which is good because you just kinda guessed originally for some of the weirder inputs, and also has the pretty good idea of removing the input after you’ve successfully done it a few times so you still have to pay attention.

Also I don’t think I’ll use it but it’s cool that there’s an option to flip between the old OST and remade one. I think I’ve only ever seen it in a few Ys games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They also tell you if an attack is unblockable, like with most of the magic spells.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Those are some nice improvements. Tthe original was great, but the timed combat (especially blocking) always felt too vague compared to the later games. I was hoping they'd polish that up a bit.
I want to get the game eventually, but I'd like a price drop. It seems like the Link's Awakening remake, where it's a great game, but it feels like it should be at the $40 price point rather than the typical full new game price.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq4FRZRKbdc

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Ghost of Thsushima you get a hat from the Straw Hats after completing some quests for them. In the menu it's simply described as a worn hat. But later in the game when Ryuzo, the leader of the Straw Hats, betrays you it suddenly gets described as "the hat of the betrayer".

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Despite already playing Ghost of Tsushima, you had me thinking there was a One Piece tie in dlc I missed out on with this talk of Straw Hats

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's a pretty funny take on the whole "non-lethally beating the poo poo out of people" action game thing later on in Spider-Man 2. Venom starts controlling regular people, getting them covered in symbiote goo to act as the next set of enemies causing trouble all over the city. When you first run into them, Peter's all worried about how he's going to fix things without hurting them.

Surprise: you can't, to save everyone you end up having to punch and kick them so hard they fly right out of their symbiote suit. It's so goofy, it makes me laugh every time. Just finishing every fight and there's a whole pile of firefighters, soccer moms, and such sitting there groaning like oof ow...thanks...Spider-Man. But no lasting damage. Walk it off, you'll be fine!

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
The Back to the Future paid DLC in Power Wash Simulator is a collection of little things if you're a fan of the movies.

It's not set during the movies. Instead, you've been hired by Universal to clean vehicles and buildings during the making of the trilogy. For the first movie, it's Doc's truck and the DeLorean. (You get to see some serious... stuff if you wait a moment after you've finished cleaning the DeLorean and can even spray these flames, though they will go out on their own.) Then it's Town Hall and the Clock Tower, which you go inside to get to the clock tower itself, something not done in the movies. I think? For 2015, it's the Holomax theater in the "bad" timeline. (Look for the red "X" in the street and stand there for my favorite achievement/trophy.) Finally, you're tasked with cleaning Doc's time traveling train, where some of the smoke and dirt matches the colors of the logs used in the climax of the movie. A production assistant named Alex talks to you via pager as you work. They try to fill you in on the plot of the movies based on what they've seen, make predictions for the far-off years of 2015 and 1995 and wonder how you have all that water in your backpack.

IDK how it would be for anyone who isn't familiar with the movies or doesn't like them.

One question for anyone more familiar with Power Wash Simulator: Is the Back to the Future DLC the first time you have to clean components that are constantly in motion?

...a little thing continuing to drag Power Wash Simulator down is how it becomes difficult to find dirt once metallic surfaces are cleaned and shiny.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The new level up jig that your party does in Mario RPG remake is the silliest, cutest thing they could've added.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've gradually realized that there's essentially two types of item in a Zelda game:

1. An immediately understandable tool, for which its utility in fights and puzzle-solving is relatively intuitive and opens both obvious and subtle options. Usually these are either recognizable combat tools (i.e. bow and arrow, bombs), or have a simple use case that can find general application (i.e. 'feather what makes you jump', 'thing what makes fire').

2. The weird ones that either require REALLY specific environmental tells for a related puzzle, or just won't get used outside of the dungeon you find it, because you aren't gonna have an innate enough understanding of its purpose to know to use it otherwise. This is the territory of the Hookshot, Mirror Shield, Iron Boots, or most items that turned up in exactly one Zelda game.

There's certainly value in that second one, because they can get clever with some puzzles once they have the rules down (Twilight Princess' main strength is being really good at these), but so often they just devolve into 'find the environmental tell that's just a Use Hookshot Here sign'.

All of this is just preamble for me to say that I've now picked up Tears of the Kingdom, and I'm genuinely impressed that almost all the glyph/hand-magic abilities are in that first category, despite being weird as poo poo. Tools like gluing stuff together and reversing time on objects feel like they would be highly signposted, 'one dungeon wonder' items in other Zelda games, but TotK really puts in the effort to try to make them as ubiquitously useful a piece of the toolkit as bombs. I think the only whiff there is Ascend, which definitely falls into the 'look for obvious environmental tell' field, but the whole package isn't anywhere near as contrived-feeling as I worried.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Nov 21, 2023

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cleretic posted:

I think the only whiff there is Ascend, which definitely falls into the 'look for obvious environmental tell' field, but the whole package isn't anywhere near as contrived-feeling as I worried.

Ascend is also extremely useful once you get into exploring the depths of the world. Nothing like spending 10 minutes descending into and exploring a cave, and five seconds getting out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Super Mario RPG: the game tells you when to press A now for attacking/guarding, which is good because you just kinda guessed originally for some of the weirder inputs, and also has the pretty good idea of removing the input after you’ve successfully done it a few times so you still have to pay attention.

Also I don’t think I’ll use it but it’s cool that there’s an option to flip between the old OST and remade one. I think I’ve only ever seen it in a few Ys games.

If you start missing the timing a lot, the icon comes back too.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Ascend is also extremely useful once you get into exploring the depths of the world. Nothing like spending 10 minutes descending into and exploring a cave, and five seconds getting out.

It’s insanely useful in exploration in general once you realize how many conveniently jutting out ledges there are/that you eventually get the tools to make your own conveniently jutting out ledges.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

The new level up jig that your party does in Mario RPG remake is the silliest, cutest thing they could've added.

Mrs Randalor started playing it last night, I think her favorite thing in the game so far is Mallow's little happy dance on the level up screen. It is oddly adorable.

Also holy crap I never knew that the Spikeys in that game were guys wearing spike-covered armor, I thought they were just spiked piranha plant heads with tiny arms and legs and small yellow teeth.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Yeah I'd still rank Ascend in the first category, it works in places I didn't expect it to and I used it all the time. It would be like if the hookshot just worked on flat walls, rather than specific targets/only certain kinds of wood.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
You can also use Ascend on the bodies of certain enemies :ssh:

Taluses, Battle Taluses, and Flux Constructs for anyone curious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The sound effects are great in Spider-Man 2, with stuff like webshooters in stealth making a different sound than normal. But lately my favourite is when Peter has the symbiote and you go into Rage Mode "Symbiote Surge" your hard hitting attacks have this impact sound that is not only bass-heavy but comes with a distortion effect, as if you're blasting noise too loud for your speakers to handle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah, I'm also willing to give Ascend some slack because I recognize that it holds a really functional purpose. Giving it poo poo for making for bad puzzles would be like complaining that running is boring because I always know when I'm supposed to be doing it.

I can respect the idea that it might turn out to be like a more flexible version of the hookshot, though. So far it hasn't impressed me, but that might be because the start of the game after leaving the sky islands is fairly flat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I'm also willing to give Ascend some slack because I recognize that it holds a really functional purpose. Giving it poo poo for making for bad puzzles would be like complaining that running is boring because I always know when I'm supposed to be doing it.

I can respect the idea that it might turn out to be like a more flexible version of the hookshot, though. So far it hasn't impressed me, but that might be because the start of the game after leaving the sky islands is fairly flat.

Ascend really does start to shine once you start doing Shrines and see all the immensely useful ways it can function. It's honestly probably the MVP of the abilities in the game in terms of flexibility and usefulness. (Outside of Ultrahand's uh, everything.)

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

In the Talos Principle 2, there's a museum themed around the first game. There are sample puzzles from the three areas, along with really squeaky tetrimoes slowly rotating on poles.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hell, I'd love Ascend if it did nothing but let me swim upwards through the bodies of large monsters. That's an experience very few games can give you

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

SilentChaz posted:

The Back to the Future paid DLC in Power Wash Simulator is a collection of little things if you're a fan of the movies.

It's not set during the movies. Instead, you've been hired by Universal to clean vehicles and buildings during the making of the trilogy. For the first movie, it's Doc's truck and the DeLorean. (You get to see some serious... stuff if you wait a moment after you've finished cleaning the DeLorean and can even spray these flames, though they will go out on their own.) Then it's Town Hall and the Clock Tower, which you go inside to get to the clock tower itself, something not done in the movies. I think? For 2015, it's the Holomax theater in the "bad" timeline. (Look for the red "X" in the street and stand there for my favorite achievement/trophy.) Finally, you're tasked with cleaning Doc's time traveling train, where some of the smoke and dirt matches the colors of the logs used in the climax of the movie. A production assistant named Alex talks to you via pager as you work. They try to fill you in on the plot of the movies based on what they've seen, make predictions for the far-off years of 2015 and 1995 and wonder how you have all that water in your backpack.

IDK how it would be for anyone who isn't familiar with the movies or doesn't like them.

One question for anyone more familiar with Power Wash Simulator: Is the Back to the Future DLC the first time you have to clean components that are constantly in motion?

...a little thing continuing to drag Power Wash Simulator down is how it becomes difficult to find dirt once metallic surfaces are cleaned and shiny.

I'm still just continually impressed how much mileage they're getting out of such a silly and (initially) kind of low budget and cheesy game. Kind of heartwarming tbh :3:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

From a while back but my favorite chill town music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hegvprK4TrM

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ishikabibble posted:

I'm still just continually impressed how much mileage they're getting out of such a silly and (initially) kind of low budget and cheesy game. Kind of heartwarming tbh :3:

Power Wash Simulator's story has absolutely no business being as good as it is. :allears:

What amuses me personally about it is I have theis mental image of the protagonist just being a real chill and professional guy, non-selling everything. Need your UFO washed? A-yup, gonna need the metal soap for that, maybe set up my gantry. Gonna cost you extra. Ancient Temple? Gonna need you to bring my whole van out, I'll need me nozzles and ladder to get at all those crevices if you want it done proper. By the hour, mind. Washing 7th Heaven? Secret war against Shinra? Yeah, sure, that's nice Miss. Do you want the floor around your fancy basement elevator cleaned too?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

One of a Kind posted:

You can also use Ascend on the bodies of certain enemies :ssh:

Taluses, Battle Taluses, and Flux Constructs for anyone curious.

Lol holy poo poo I never realized this about the last one. In what I imagine is the relevant phase, I always used the time-reversal power to freeze one of the blocks it shoots down at you, climb on it, and zoom it back up to get up there.

God drat that game slaps.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Randalor posted:

Mrs Randalor started playing it last night, I think her favorite thing in the game so far is Mallow's little happy dance on the level up screen. It is oddly adorable.

The whole team busts a move and it's great.

Like even bowser can't stop himself from grooving out. It's a joyous celebration, somebody leveled up

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Bowser is such a good boss in SMRPG. He never berates his minions, they all seem to have genuine respect for him, and in the end, he can be seen personally working to repair his castle, while some of his minions goof off in the clown car.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just like the dynamic of having Bowser as a team character in general. I wish they'd go with that more often, instead of the innumerable "Bowser gets [x] power and uses it to attack the kingdom...again" plots we've gotten.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bowser is such a good boss in SMRPG. He never berates his minions, they all seem to have genuine respect for him, and in the end, he can be seen personally working to repair his castle, while some of his minions goof off in the clown car.

I always liked those scenes in Monstro Town where he meets two of his generals who deserted his army; you'd think he'd be upset but he's ok with them living their lives.

The remake actually added to that little plotline by changing Bowser's dialogue during the cutscene in Rose Way - he name-drops Jagger the Terrapin and Goomhilde the Goomba as two of the three troop leaders.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I've gradually realized that there's essentially two types of item in a Zelda game:

2. The weird ones that either require REALLY specific environmental tells for a related puzzle, or just won't get used outside of the dungeon you find it, because you aren't gonna have an innate enough understanding of its purpose to know to use it otherwise. This is the territory of the Hookshot,

The hookshot is basically the utility of the Boomerang, which is extremely useful in fights and item collecting, but with a traversal mechanic baked into it. In some games its just a key in spots, mostly 2D zeldas, but in the 3D games it is an immense timesaver and constantly being used across all dungeons. I'd argue it goes just below Bow and Bombs and more useful than 90% of every other dungeon item in any of the 3D games, barring like one exception per game. It's so drat good, by far my favorite Zelda item out of them all :allears:

bawk has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Nov 21, 2023

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

SilentChaz posted:

All of the other instances have some sort of way to shut off/turn back on the object in motion. The carousel in particular has not turning it off be an achievement.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... wait, you could turn off the carousel? MOTHERFUCKER.

I really need to finish Powerwash Simulator, I got up to the bathroom that was going to be turned into a dance club.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
Absolutely giddy for the upcoming Warhammer 40K DLC for Powerwash Simulator. Please just let me clean a Dreadnought while it shouts EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SPARKLE.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's interesting that powerwash took the meta-multiverse janitor crown thing from viscera cleanup detail

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's interesting that powerwash took the meta-multiverse janitor crown thing from viscera cleanup detail

I think at least part of that is that powerwash is more generally accessible. Cleaning dirt off the DeLorean is easier as a sell than cleaning up Doomguy's viscera.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, I kind of think that if you took powerwash simulator and turned all the brown dirt and dust into shades of dried blood red, and had gross hand prints and drag marks everywhere it would instantly lose a lot of the charm. Viscera cleanup is fun, because it's so over the top, but feels way more game-y and bouncy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Powerwash Simulator also doesn't have any ways you can undo your own progress. There are no penalties for cleaning against gravity, or even for walking from dirty areas to clean areas. Viscera Cleanup Detail is definitely in the "troll the player" class of "simulation" games.