Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Nobody's mentioned Utley yet but he's getting in, maybe not first ballot but he's got the WAR and JAWS numbers plus a ring.
idk why I thought Utley was well short of 60 WAR but yeah he should get in eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

Rollins is firmly at Ozzie smith levels so it’s hard to argue he should not be in
you mean he has Ozzie’s bat without Ozzie’s defense?

Rollins is nearly 30 WAR short of Ozzie Smith

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Abreu
Beltran
Beltre
Helton
Manny
ARod
Sheffield
Wagner
Mauer

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

you mean he has Ozzie’s bat without Ozzie’s defense?

Rollins is nearly 30 WAR short of Ozzie Smith

hey he has a slightly less bad bat, with worse baserunning and much worse defense and in 20% fewer games

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

Looking up stats and man Jeter was pretty good

I remember there was always an undercurrent that he was overrated

He was overrated and still great.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

idk why I thought Utley was well short of 60 WAR but yeah he should get in eventually

Ya same. Add him to my list.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Jeter's glove was obviously overrated but his bat was very good and he was very durable and being able to play shortstop every day while hitting that well is super valuable even if you're not very good at it. I hate his smarmy guts but he's a top 5 SS all time or very close to it

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also Jeff Kent never got in. He has at least a borderline case.

Jeff Kent was a giant rear end in a top hat which in a borderline case is a perfectly fine tiebreaker in favor of "nahhhh"

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Utley shouldn’t get in until Ruben Tejada’s allowed a revenge takeout slide.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Jeff Kent was a giant rear end in a top hat which in a borderline case is a perfectly fine tiebreaker in favor of "nahhhh"
Oh yeah I’m not denying that but he has great numbers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Jeter's glove was obviously overrated but his bat was very good and he was very durable and being able to play shortstop every day while hitting that well is super valuable even if you're not very good at it. I hate his smarmy guts but he's a top 5 SS all time or very close to it

Yes and he was still overrated because he played at the same time as A-Rod and was considered his equal which was nonsense.

This isn't to take anything away from Jeter. He's at worst top 10 ever at his position.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who else is in the top 10 dogshit fielding shortstops

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Hanley Ramirez had a -8.7 dWAR for his career but part of that includes time at 3B and 1B

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Jose Hernandez.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

Can you post the picture in some other way

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1726671913898979587

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The one dude I remember who could rake and had no business at SS was Michael Young.

Then he moved to 3rd and was meh but still could hit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

if Jack Morris is a Hall of Famer, then

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Yes and he was still overrated because he played at the same time as A-Rod and was considered his equal which was nonsense.

This isn't to take anything away from Jeter. He's at worst top 10 ever at his position.

Nomah was better too.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

zoux posted:

Starlin Castro

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The fucker the Phillies have now isn’t good at picking balls up

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

no

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

The fucker the Phillies have now isn’t good at picking balls up

He's called the Phillies Phucker

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I didn't vote for the man, but look - the seal is broken, and it is a Hall of Poop now, I'm sorry

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Abreu
Betre
Buhrle
Helton
Ramirez
AROD
Sheffield
Wagner
Utley

I will be interested to see how close Beltre can get to 100% now that the ice has been broken on that

bawfuls continues his crusade against the Twins

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The problem with Joe Mauer is that he spent 33% of his career at 1B and another ~17% at DH, which significantly degrades his case as a HoF catcher.

If he'd done that and ended up at like 65-70 WAR I'd say sure, easy case. But he finished with 55 WAR instead so he's real borderline.

3943 PA as a catcher with an .889 OPS is great! But it's short of a Hall of Fame career.

2593 PA as a 1B with a .751 OPS is not enough to tip it over the edge for me

And another 1349 PA as a DH with a .797 OPS is still pretty meh

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 20, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Would you vote for Buster Posey?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Red posted:

Congratulations to Mark Buehrle. Hell it's about time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Posey is like first ballot

Not many better cases

Red
Apr 15, 2003

All the names being tossed out right now remind me of the amazing AIM names from The Dugout strips

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I love Jack Morris being in the HoF. I had a project going for years of the Hall of Better Than Jack Morris, there are no poo poo near 50 pitchers who were at least as good as Jack Morris who aren't in the Hall of Fame and almost all of them never will be.

Like just for example, take my man Orel Hershiser. He was unambiguously better than Jack Morris. He was more of a postseason hero than Jack Morris (still the only player with both an NLCS and ALCS MVP plus a WS MVP to boot). He also isn't even one of the top 5 pitchers from the 1980s who aren't in the Hall of Fame.

Jack Morris is the gift that will keep on giving forever.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The one dude I remember who could rake and had no business at SS was Michael Young.

Then he moved to 3rd and was meh but still could hit.

Yeah he moved to short out of necessity after they dealt Arod for Alfonso Soriano, but had no loving business playing there. He even got a comedy gold glove in 2008 just due to his reputation as being a good guy I guess? The "past a diving Michael Young" (padmy) call became a meme in Rangers circles.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s not about numbers anymore ( the hof) so a guy like posey is top tier imho

The Scott rolen of catchers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

Posey is like first ballot

Not many better cases

I think Posey should be in.

I think if Posey is first ballot then Mauer is easily in too.

And probably Russell Martin

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Would you vote for Buster Posey?
Posey is also a hard case because he retired so early. It is real hard to assemble a Hall of Fame career in only 12 seasons, and his WAR & JAWS totals reflect this.

But at least he can be fairly compared to other catchers since he accumulated over 80% of his PA's there.

And when you do compare him to other catchers, he looks a bit light with a JAWS that's well below the HoF average and behind guys who aren't in like Thurman Munson and Gene Tenance.

I assume he will eventually be inducted, as will Molina, but if you're gonna include those guys then you should also include Jorge Posada who was one-and-done with 3.8% of the vote in 2017. Posey has the best case of the three but it is really heavy on narrative and EYBS. At least he won an MVP.

edit: if you trust Fangraphs framing runs then sure, Posey is right on the line and the narrative pushes him over. But if you do that and also elect Molina (likely), then you also need to include Russell Martin and Brian McCann, neither of which I think have a real shot.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 20, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

welcome posted:

Congratulations to Mark Buehrle. Hell it's about time.

If he belongs in than so does Andy Pettitte. I think they both fall short.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

I love Jack Morris being in the HoF. I had a project going for years of the Hall of Better Than Jack Morris, there are no poo poo near 50 pitchers who were at least as good as Jack Morris who aren't in the Hall of Fame and almost all of them never will be.

Like just for example, take my man Orel Hershiser. He was unambiguously better than Jack Morris. He was more of a postseason hero than Jack Morris (still the only player with both an NLCS and ALCS MVP plus a WS MVP to boot). He also isn't even one of the top 5 pitchers from the 1980s who aren't in the Hall of Fame.

Jack Morris is the gift that will keep on giving forever.

Orel Hershiser is legit and I wish people gave him more credit for being great for two separate 80s powerhouses. I'll just keep using him for easy points on Immaculate Grid, I guess.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Orel Hershiser is also a nice guy and pleasant broadcaster, not a cranky old man bitching about the modern game. Unlike Jack Morris.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Posey is also a hard case because he retired so early. It is real hard to assemble a Hall of Fame career in only 12 seasons, and his WAR & JAWS totals reflect this.

But at least he can be fairly compared to other catchers since he accumulated over 80% of his PA's there.

And when you do compare him to other catchers, he looks a bit light with a JAWS that's well below the HoF average and behind guys who aren't in like Thurman Munson and Gene Tenance.

I assume he will eventually be inducted, as will Molina, but if you're gonna include those guys then you should also include Jorge Posada who was one-and-done with 3.8% of the vote in 2017. Posey has the best case of the three but it is really heavy on narrative and EYBS. At least he won an MVP.

edit: if you trust Fangraphs framing runs then sure, Posey is right on the line and the narrative pushes him over. But if you do that and also elect Molina (likely), then you also need to include Russell Martin and Brian McCann, neither of which I think have a real shot.

Put in Russell thank you ane god bless

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Re buster posey

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

like I said, his case is very narrative-driven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Posey has the peak, the hardware, the narrative, and three rings. He'll get in despite lagging a fair bit in total WAR.

Molina has neither the peak or total WAR but he does have two rings and was also like the quintessential living ideal of the perfect franchise catcher for close to two decades so he'll absolutely get inducted as well, hell I wouldn't be all that surprised if he was first ballot.