Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ah ok, nothing can ever get better, don't think about it, ok.
AI will never make things better, by function of it's nature it can only ever reshuffle what already exists. Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

Greater availability of delivery resources is more likely to result in an increase in waste as everything becomes "on demand" and people are encouraged to consume more to utilize the increased distribution capacity.

As ever, it is not a problem of raw capability, it is a problem of intent. Increases in capability do not translate to increases in overall efficiency because the goal of capitalism is to maximise extraction and consumption of resources, because each step of that is where surplus value can be extracted.

Not with AI.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

AI will never make things better, by function of it's nature it can only ever reshuffle what already exists. Hope this helps.

It doesn't. Because it's wrong.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Joined.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Unless I've fundamentally misunderstood how this stuff works, my thoughts on text-"AI" are summed up by realising:

Asking "how many sides does a triangle have" and getting the answer "a triangle has 3 sides"

and

Asking "what countries in Africa start with a K" and getting the answer "there are no African countries that start with a K"

Is not an example of the AI getting it right and wrong respectively. In both cases it's working as intended, smooshing likely words together in response to some other words.

And as ever, even if it can do some things, there's no mechanism for those gains to translate into more leisure time or comfort for working people. We will be screamed at to work a 40 hour week or else, even when there's only 1 hour's worth of work per person that needs doing.

Plus if the robots are making the art we may as well pack up and leave the planet to the elephants anyway, because what are we even doing at that point?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also even if it could, we already have creative intelligences, they're called "humans" and unaccountably the world still operates based on who has the money which is mostly determined by whose dad had the money.

If there was an independent, very clever AI out there, nobody would put it in charge of anything, for the same reason they don't put human people in charge of things based on how clever they are.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It doesn't. Because it's wrong.

no, to the contrary

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Meant to reply to this before, but:

Albinator posted:

Also got a bit annoyed at constantly trudging back and forth, but I think I heard they fixed that.
Apparently you can fast travel on PC? Never really got it to work, but I was playing the console version and it does feel very Revachol for buttons to just not do what they're supposed to sometimes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Fine you bunch of misery guts sit here being mean to AI but I'm feeding all these posts into one so even if you defeat my arguments here you're only making it more powerful.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Government could use AI to determine whose treatment to turn down, give it a minimum 75% rejection rate. Offer a phone number with the rejection. When people call the phone number, connect them to a GPT with voice synthesiser (a bad one) that has no answers but has been instructed to act like it does..

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Meant to reply to this before, but:

Apparently you can fast travel on PC? Never really got it to work, but I was playing the console version and it does feel very Revachol for buttons to just not do what they're supposed to sometimes.

you have to buy a specific item the map in the bookshop and be standing in very specific spots that the game never really specifies outside the Whirling-In-Rags entrance, at the church entrance, at the entrance to the room the washing lady lets you sleep in and then you can travel using your journal. even the optional tutorial narrator isn't particularly eager to share useful details about this. also it breaks on purpose i think once so that you don't interrupt a scene by teleporting into it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If you can only imagine bad and evil use cases for AI I think you need to look closer to home for the problem.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Thank you for the Disco Elysium chat. Makes me realise I've not listened to the OST for a good while.

https://youtu.be/wm_RTOABNKs?si=O1-EcBaDEMCAIJK-

Hardcore to the mega!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i wouldn't mind AI so much but despite current iterations being clearly unfit for public consumption, it seems to be proliferating every other loving webpage when i'm trying to find out some information and it makes it hard to trust anything i'm reading

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/20/what-we-learned-from-patrick-vallance-at-the-covid-inquiry

Breaking news. Boris Johnson is a loving moron who was / is incapable of understanding basic concepts.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I can tell an AI to make dumb pictures all day for me to laugh at without wasting the time of an actual artist on my tedious unfunny nonsense, so that seems like a net plus for everyone who has artistic talent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I saw an interview with the Chief Scientist Ilya Sutskever, who led the OpenAI board to push Altman out. (I didn't think to save the link, sorry.) He's one of the people obsessed with how evil sophisticated AI could be in the future, and said that's a much bigger threat than global warming. Sigh.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I saw an interview with the Chief Scientist Ilya Sutskever, who led the OpenAI board to push Altman out. (I didn't think to save the link, sorry.) He's one of the people obsessed with how evil sophisticated AI could be in the future, and said that's a much bigger threat than global warming. Sigh.

Well he's not incorrect. We can't stop global warming from destroying our civilization, but the death of our civilization will destroy the AI. So given that one is something that can't be stopped, it's not a threat, it's just something that we will need to accept.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's not really AI yet anyway. It's like rainman ai at the moment.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tedsville posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/20/what-we-learned-from-patrick-vallance-at-the-covid-inquiry

Breaking news. Boris Johnson is a loving moron who was / is incapable of understanding basic concepts.

The broader point seems to be that most senior politicians are loving morons incapable of understanding basic concepts, given the anecdote about the meeting he had with other Chief Scientists where they all share the same problem

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i wouldn't mind AI so much but despite current iterations being clearly unfit for public consumption, it seems to be proliferating every other loving webpage when i'm trying to find out some information and it makes it hard to trust anything i'm reading

March 3rd, 2024, Habsburg day. When the proportion of machine generated data on the internet overwhelms human generated data. Self-training AIs inadvertently hoover up their own output, poisoning themselves. The internet becomes an involuted hellscape of machine word-salad.
Only archival copies of earlier internets, can be used to train new "clean AIs". Like low background steel from before the nuclear wars, pristine training data holds immense power and value. Your name is Johnny Memeonic, a humble data courier. Your job is to transport 500GB of 2016 /pol/ memes to a shady cabal of anarcho-capitalists.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Farage update. We’ve just seen his arse

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

something I've never said before, but need to hear from crispix on this matter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Farage update. We’ve just seen his arse

we do every time he's on TV

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Maugrim posted:

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Update, November 2023 :siren:

It's been a pleasure to continue to support folks with far fewer worries about the fund running out of money, thanks to the generous response to our fundraiser a couple of months ago. Thank you all so very much.

I'm still feeling a bit hosed up from my colonoscopy this morning (verdict: the new drugs aren't working lol) so I can't think what else to write. Roll stats!

Edit: Also, if you are the person who made an email application around a month ago, please get in touch - we have tried to contact you multiple times with no luck.

October Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts graph:

Quarterly version of the above:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

If you are someone that is in need, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Donate:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Because you can get used to these things when you’re close to them, and because I don’t think you dickheads* get told this enough, I’m using the last of my weird outsidery status to say that this is genuinely amazing work and you should all feel rightly proud of what you’ve done/are doing.

Anyway, enough touchy-feely stuff. Tories. What a bunch of cunts.

*It’s a term of endearment round my way, live with it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nige is currently eating camel and sheep teat pizza

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 20, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

He’s moved on to sheep, goat and chicken feet pizza with bulls tongue

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

And now vomit fruit with fermented plum

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

And finally camel, goat and crocodile anus

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

sounds like what posh people get anyway

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Tasting menus getting extravagant
What's the wine pairing?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dessert: pig, sheep and crocodile penis pizza

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Not sure if those posts are meant to be read in Chris Morris or Vic Reeves' voice, they both work.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I can report he is tucking into the penises with relish

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 20, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

And if that isn’t a thread title then I’m a Dutchman

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

I can report he is tucking into the penises with relish

they give them relish with the penis now?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I got lucky last year and my holiday in Tenerife perfectly aligned with Hancock on I'm a Celeb so I didn't hear or read anything about his time on there. I'd honestly prefer to read through fifty pages of a young centrist trying to tell convince us to vote for Starmer than read any commentary on Farage's time in the jungle.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i didn't go on holiday to Tenerife and yet I still didnt know anything about hancock on I'm a celeb. SOunds like user error.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gorn Myson posted:

I got lucky last year and my holiday in Tenerife perfectly aligned with Hancock on I'm a Celeb so I didn't hear or read anything about his time on there. I'd honestly prefer to read through fifty pages of a young centrist trying to tell convince us to vote for Starmer than read any commentary on Farage's time in the jungle.

I promise to only post when Nigel Farage is consuming animal schlongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gorn Myson posted:

Aye, only update I need to hear is if he dies. And even then only if it is a particularly humiliating or painful