Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
And then they volunteered that they thought the holocaust was made up for a ya novel they read in middle school until they were almost adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Your emotional breakdown was justified

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Sounds like it would’ve been better for everyone if they’d stuck to reading 40k novels. Another clear victory for genre lit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Like I was reading the book and realized in 100 pages there were three gunfights and it suddenly occurred to me this had the plot of a video game and then I realized there are entire people who only read this and think this is what books are and I got overwhelmingly depressed.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
there but for the grace of god go i

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like I was reading the book and realized in 100 pages there were three gunfights and it suddenly occurred to me this had the plot of a video game and then I realized there are entire people who only read this and think this is what books are and I got overwhelmingly depressed.

Literally in the time you have been gone from here a whole new genre has arisen

It is called "litrpg"

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Maybe they should issue revised classics in a transitions to lit type series... like Anna Karenina could be a badass elite bodyguard who wields dual chainswords on top of the intense humanistic character studies.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Many years later, as he faced the Chaos Space Marine Obliterators, Primach Roboute Guilliman would remember that distant afternoon when the Emperor of Mankind, donator of his transhuman gene-stock template, took him to discover ice.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Literally in the time you have been gone from here a whole new genre has arisen

It is called "litrpg"

One of my neighbors has a license plate that says "litrpg" and I constantly consider keying the car

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Creating an alter ego to drive mel insane:

My literary escapism is _______ [swords and sandals/detective stories/Golden Age sci-fi/fantasy sagas/space opera/YA dystopia], this time mixed with the video game mechanics of ______ [Call of Duty/Pac-Man/Final Fantasy VII/Tetris/Skyrim/Solitaire on my grandparent's computer]

The literary classic I dismiss offhand is _____ [Moby-Dick/The Canterbury Tales/Gilgamesh/Journey to the West], because who cares about _____ [whales/the month of April/the city of Ur/a monkey]!!

Incidentally, the historical atrocity I know shockingly little about is ______ [Pol Pot's killing fields/the Black Death/the Irish potato famine/chattel slavery]

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lobster Henry posted:

Many years later, as he faced the Chaos Space Marine Obliterators, Primach Roboute Guilliman would remember that distant afternoon when the Emperor of Mankind, donator of his transhuman gene-stock template, took him to discover ice.

"Why do I want to read a sad book about hillbillies you think ice is amazing" - that person

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jrbg posted:

Creating an alter ego to drive mel insane:

My literary escapism is _______ [swords and sandals/detective stories/Golden Age sci-fi/fantasy sagas/space opera/YA dystopia], this time mixed with the video game mechanics of ______ [Call of Duty/Pac-Man/Final Fantasy VII/Tetris/Skyrim/Solitaire on my grandparent's computer]

The literary classic I dismiss offhand is _____ [Moby-Dick/The Canterbury Tales/Gilgamesh/Journey to the West], because who cares about _____ [whales/the month of April/the city of Ur/a monkey]!!

Incidentally, the historical atrocity I know shockingly little about is ______ [Pol Pot's killing fields/the Black Death/the Irish potato famine/chattel slavery]

Lol

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the literal mentality i had in my 20s: if it could happen in real life why would i want to read about it?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
But ice is amazing :(

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

pixel bitches posted:

It’s not as good as ice-nine

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

pixel bitches posted:

Haha chernobyl and I lost our minds trying to explain that to them.

It was also funny she and her other friend kept going "oh these two just want to show off they dont like popular books."

Like, imagine a world where you genuinely believe warhammer has a stronger place in culture than 100 years of solitude

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

a Warhammer fan that also doesn't think the Holocaust is real? I might be more concerned about things other than this person's taste in lit if I'm being honest

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And then they volunteered that they thought the holocaust was made up for a ya novel they read in middle school until they were almost adults

is this what the famed "collapse of american education" is all about?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i got more emotional about them bringing the squats back than i ever did reading about colonel emiliano buendia so i think that person is right

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

also when her friend was making fun of me for being pretentious and high fallutin' they said "Why dont you go back to reading Hillbilly Elegy" because that was what they thought literature was

and then they thought Pynchon wrote Infinite Jest.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

saying all of this out loud makes me realize these are very not smart people

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

saying all of this out loud makes me realize these are very not smart people

Fair but

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It was also funny she and her other friend kept going "oh these two just want to show off they dont like popular books."

I'll grant she's wrong about the "just" :p

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fair but

I'll grant she's wrong about the "just" :p

There is no world Gabriel Garcia Marquez is more niche than Warhammer

I refuse to allow it

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is no world Gabriel Garcia Marquez is more niche than Warhammer

I refuse to allow it

Many years later, as he faced the illiterate firing squad, Mel Mudkiper was to remember that distant afternoon when Hieronymous Alloy took him to discover the combined Amazon sales rankings

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I know about two people that are really into warhammer as, like, a universe and concept, and they’re both turbo nerds

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Come to think of it, I have never had an irl conversation about warhammer (40k or not) and 99% of what I know about it comes from these forums

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Clark Nova posted:

Come to think of it, I have never had an irl conversation about warhammer (40k or not) and 99% of what I know about it comes from these forums

People in the military tend to have read them because there were lots of copies floating around Iraq and Afghanistan and in that situation you read what's available.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'll read anything but I've never come across a single Warhams book. Marquez is all over because he was one of the most successful authors of our (my) time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in awe of people who can hoover up so much garbage. There are people who can put away half a dozen terrible Lotr knockoffs or litrpgs in a week, and for what reason?

Unhealthy behavior, it reminds me of the way people treat YouTube or podcasts. You start with finding something you'd like to listen to, and then eventually you end up just consuming more and more media just to do so rather than for the substance they hold.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm in awe of people who can hoover up so much garbage. There are people who can put away half a dozen terrible Lotr knockoffs or litrpgs in a week, and for what reason?

To pass the time, just like people who read anything else?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Unhealthy behavior, it reminds me of the way people treat YouTube or podcasts. You start with finding something you'd like to listen to, and then eventually you end up just consuming more and more media just to do so rather than for the substance they hold.

When I realized that there are people who read only this and think this is what books are I finally understood Platos cave viscerally instead of intellectually

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

lollllllll forever if you read to 'pass the time' jesus gently caress

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Its consumption without sustenance.

A spiritual diet of dirt and rot

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
so what is the story behind the diaper mudkip avatar I've been curious

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

i got more emotional about them bringing the squats back than i ever did reading about colonel emiliano buendia so i think that person is right

Did they bring the squats back??

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Everytime I've tried to "reach across the aisle" and read someone's no really this one is actually good genre fic recommendation I become deeply saddened and embarrassed for everyone involved

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

Did they bring the squats back??

they did, friend tree goat

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its consumption without sustenance.

A spiritual diet of dirt and rot

Rabbit Starvation

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mel do you just share a discord with this person or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

pixel bitches posted:

Everytime I've tried to "reach across the aisle" and read someone's no really this one is actually good genre fic recommendation I become deeply saddened and embarrassed for everyone involved

I was pleasantly surprised by Neuromancer and Kim Stanley Robinson when i tried back in like 2017