Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Great, because if Bitcoin mining taught us anything, it's that we desperately need more technology that requires a shitload of energy to run, and where 99% of the usage of said technology is frivolous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Sagacity posted:

Great, because if Bitcoin mining taught us anything, it's that we desperately need more technology that requires a shitload of energy to run, and where 99% of the usage of said technology is frivolous.

Speaking as someone that lives in the high country desert along the Columbia River in Eastern Oregon, we've got plenty of unused land, river water, and a predominantly sunny and windy climate year round. Just throw up some more solar farms, wind turbines and data centers out here!

It's actually starting to turn into a bit of hub out here as development continues in this county of 80,000 people. Amazon's got 2-3 data centers in the area and more companies are beginning to site stuff.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Neito posted:

"This is bad but if I don't do it someone worse might" is basically the only tenant of tech industry ethics at this point. You see it all over the industry.

At long last we have built the Torment Nexus, weeks before our sinister rivals could complete theirs! Humanity is saved!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Volmarias posted:

I actually used the Chinese Room as a way to help my father understand that AI doesn't actually understand what it's doing, fundamentally, which helped.

What is consciousness but another chinese room inside another chinese room inside another chinese room inside-

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Bitcoin miners should at least be required to build solar farms, Australia does this with parking lots- which have greater than zero marginal utility outside of money laundering and funding the North Korean nuclear program

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mercury_Storm posted:

Bitcoin miners should at least be required to build solar farms, Australia does this with parking lots- which have greater than zero marginal utility outside of money laundering and funding the North Korean nuclear program

Bitcoin provides value to society by by separating fools from their money with unprecedented speed and efficiency

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

dr_rat posted:

Sam from Sam and Max???

Because if so obviously yes if the can get him!

Going by the Telltale games he does have experience dealing with really stupid AIs, so he’d be a good fit (also his experiences with actual Hell are probably excellent training for corporate management).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

evilweasel posted:

the basic theory seems to be that nobody really understands consciousness and so even though all existing AI is basically a parlor trick, perhaps consciousness is simply an emergent property of a collection of intelligence-like parlor tricks such that you combine enough and suddenly out falls a conscious intelligence

which is insane but also given how the brain evolved sort of hard to disprove since we still haven't the faintest idea how it really works and layering on additional poo poo at some point did...well, something fairly impressive. we just don't know how or what.
It’s this, plus the fact that an awful lot of simple-looking litmus tests researchers were confident wouldn’t be solvable without “real AI” have turned out to be solvable by one of these parlour tricks, plus the fact that finding the right trick has often caused progress to jump from “we know nothing of value in this area, check back in a decade” to “well, this is easy, but the real test for an AI will be…” in the span of 1-2 years. I don’t know if I quite believe that intelligence is parlour tricks all the way down, but I’m definitely nervous about what will happen to AI’s already-disruptive capabilities when the next trick gets found.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nervous posted:

Speaking as someone that lives in the high country desert along the Columbia River in Eastern Oregon, we've got plenty of unused land, river water, and a predominantly sunny and windy climate year round. Just throw up some more solar farms, wind turbines and data centers out here!

It's actually starting to turn into a bit of hub out here as development continues in this county of 80,000 people. Amazon's got 2-3 data centers in the area and more companies are beginning to site stuff.

Or we could create a national grid and burn less oil and coal ... but what do I know?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

VideoGameVet posted:

Or we could create a national grid and burn less oil and coal ... but what do I know?

I mean yes, I'm just saying it's a good site with renewables.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

OctaMurk posted:

you have all these assholes at ai companies preaching about how ai is gonna ruin humanity or whatever and its the most powerful thing ever built
it's advertising op
they're doing the "prices this low? I should be in a MENTAL INSTITUTION, careful I don't SLIT YOUR THROAT" bit you'd think was way out of date
so altman could beg the EU for increased regulation in the media while fighting those efforts at the same time
because it's all about getting the public to associate your mundane product with the images of thinking computer they remember from fiction

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I put this one in the wrong thread.

I saw an interview with the Chief Scientist Ilya Sutskever, who led the OpenAI board to push Altman out. (I didn't think to save the link, sorry.) Sutskever is one of the people obsessed with how evil sophisticated AI could be in the future, and said that's a much bigger threat than global warming. Sigh.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OctaMurk posted:

heres what gets me: you have all these assholes at ai companies preaching about how ai is gonna ruin humanity or whatever and its the most powerful thing ever built

so uh, just stop working on that poo poo then, instead of pretending you're carrying this huge burden like atlas?

That's because nobody(or close to nobody) really believes that.

It's just hype they've kinda bought into to make themselves feel important but as you can tell from their actions, is bullshit.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Somehow AI has enabled 500 out of 723 workers to unilaterally decide they can just go work at a direct competitor tomorrow so maybe there’s something there. That’d be the most impressive display of power labor has shown.. ever?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

nachos posted:

Somehow AI has enabled 500 out of 723 workers to unilaterally decide they can just go work at a direct competitor tomorrow so maybe there’s something there. That’d be the most impressive display of power labor has shown.. ever?

Uh no, the lesson here is that when chaos is created people will naturally drift towards the the largest nearby accumulation of capital.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nachos posted:

Isn't the direct competitor the owner of their company?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Volmarias posted:

They own a very large non majority percentage iirc but still no direct influence over decision making

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nachos posted:

*700 of 723.

In California, non-compete clauses are illegal, and not binding even if they're in the employment contract.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the basic theory seems to be that nobody really understands consciousness and so even though all existing AI is basically a parlor trick, perhaps consciousness is simply an emergent property of a collection of intelligence-like parlor tricks such that you combine enough and suddenly out falls a conscious intelligence

which is insane but also given how the brain evolved sort of hard to disprove since we still haven't the faintest idea how it really works and layering on additional poo poo at some point did...well, something fairly impressive. we just don't know how or what.

We do understand that consciousness is not telling underpaid serfs to scrape data, refine it by hand, remove the titties and decapitations, and then call it "AI."

AI marketers are trying to get people to believe that they created a self-learning sentience already, and only by piling money into their Scrooge McDuck warehouse can you stop it. This episode at OpenAI is a pretty good indication of how loving stupid it all actually is.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Textbook EEE by Microsoft, just adapted for today's society.

Embrace/Extend/Enshittification

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I'm a little baffled by how big a deal this Altman thing is becoming. It's not like he has any particular expertise in AI or even computing in general; he's just a tech investor and money guy. It's not really clear to me how he's any different from the countless other interchangeable serial entrepreneur tech investors, aside from being particularly good at convincing big nerds to like him.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm a little baffled by how big a deal this Altman thing is becoming. It's not like he has any particular expertise in AI or even computing in general; he's just a tech investor and money guy. It's not really clear to me how he's any different from the countless other interchangeable serial entrepreneur tech investors, aside from being particularly good at convincing big nerds to like him.

That's pretty much it right here, he's got enough money to throw a hell of a tantrum with and the big nerds with money like him, so like it or not he's here to stay and it'll be on everybody's news feed because AI is this decade's buzzword. If he doesn't like the direction things are going then he can pay somebody else to design a fancier bridge to burn on his way out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

It's mostly that they fired their CEO without warning, explanation, or any discernible reason--but all the possible reasons are pretty dumb. Now he apparently works for Microsoft, at least for the moment, and it's all a big soap opera.

We're far from the enshittification stage of OpenAI, so he still has a lot of blindly loyal followers (the koolaid at tech companies can get very strong, like that era where people at Google bought that they were changing the world instead of mostly just collecting ad revenue).

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Apparently YouTube is interfering with your experience based on your browser.
Edit: Same story in article form.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 21, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
707 out of the ~750 employees of OpenAI say they will quit and go to Microsoft if the board doesn't "do something" to correct their mistake.

Since Altman is gone now, I'm not sure what they can really do.

Kind of hilarious that a board of directors not pursuing what is in the shareholder's best interest is going to result in a mass job losses for labor and Microsoft effectively acquiring OpenAi for $0.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

707 out of the ~750 employees of OpenAI say they will quit and go to Microsoft if the board doesn't "do something" to correct their mistake.

Pretty amazing that many employees give a poo poo who their CEO is. Unless there's ethical and moral reasons to worry about Altmans departure I don't see why they would care.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Owling Howl posted:

Pretty amazing that many employees give a poo poo who their CEO is. Unless there's ethical and moral reasons to worry about Altmans departure I don't see why they would care.

I think it is more that they are mad at the board for making the biggest AI company out there into a wobbly mess that may or may not survive the year for no clear reason.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Owling Howl posted:

Altman used his connections and his fancy talking to summon billions of dollars out of the ether that allows OpenAI to continue existing. If the wizard who makes money appear leaves, future prospects of employment are much worse for all of them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Owling Howl posted:

Some people have charisma (not me). If employees walked out the door, they must have felt some emotional attachment; there's no other way I can see 90% of the company resigning. It's the difference between being CEO and being Our Guy.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Some people have charisma (not me). If employees walked out the door, they must have felt some emotional attachment; there's no other way I can see 90% of the company resigning. It's the difference between being CEO and being Our Guy.

At some point, you don't want to be in the residual shell of a company that abruptly lost 80%+ of its employees.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Owling Howl posted:

They're on a ship that's sinking because they blew a hole in their own hull. It's not surprising they'd want to go over to the cruise ship that just pulled up alongside and already picked their captain out of the water.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Spazzle posted:

At some point, you don't want to be in the residual shell of a company that abruptly lost 80%+ of its employees.

True, but there was a point where only 10% of the company had signed, and people kept jumping in.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

OpenAI employees don’t get RSUs like regular tech employees — they get a fraction of the for-profit subsidiary’s profits.

The difference between a profit-driven CEO staying and leaving is likely a matter of a few hundred thousand dollars in annual compensation for them.

That’s not to mention the competitive impact of that CEO going on to found a new startup or join a competitor, which would likely torpedo OpenAI’s profits, further eroding their compensation.

This episode is an instructive lesson in how non-profits can be real bad at aligning interests. For all of shareholder capitalism’ flaws, it does a great job at making everybody chase the same dragon. It’s real loving hard to steer everyone towards something you can’t measure.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Pretty sure I posted before about how OpenAI engineers make a “low” salary of 300k (with like 600k in stock options).

Low being in scare quotes because it’s simultaneously low (compared to other companies hiring at that experience level) and yet ridiculously high (for every day people).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

True, but there was a point where only 10% of the company had signed, and people kept jumping in.

Sure, but those 10% probably organized the weekly happy hour and fantasy sports leagues

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Vegetable posted:

This episode is an instructive lesson in how non-profits can be real bad at aligning interests.
To me, it's instructive on how incoherent the Platonic ideal that many have of nonprofits is incompatible with a capitalist system.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Turns out Microsoft's $10b investment was primarily compute credits for OpenAI's models to run on Azure. Incredible company town move

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

whydirt posted:

Sure, but those 10% probably organized the weekly happy hour and fantasy sports leagues
And brought really good wings to the potluck.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ruffian Price posted:

Turns out Microsoft's $10b investment was primarily compute credits for OpenAI's models to run on Azure. Incredible company town move

The alternative is to do a SoftBank and vomit billions of dollars into a hole that then says "sorry it didn't work out" and walks away with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Volmarias posted:

The alternative is to do a SoftBank and vomit billions of dollars into a hole that then says "sorry it didn't work out" and walks away with it
Given how many times Masayoshi Son has done that, and he still doesn't live in a cardboard box, I'd say it's a winning strategy.