Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Who the hell is doing actual work conversations over text messages? That's a SecOPS nightmare.

So, so many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Who the hell is doing actual work conversations over text messages? That's a SecOPS nightmare.

lol don't be naive, TONS of people do this

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, my boss has texted me on occasion if something has come up, but then the conversation switches to teams.

The closest thing was when myself, my boss, and two other coworkers went to a conference a month ago and we created a group message to let each other know where we were. They all had iPhones and I was the odd android out but it was only really an issue in the bowels of the hotel where cell signal was terrible and T-Mobile's MMS over WiFi wasn't working the greatest. However, this would be the exact situation where RCS instead of MMS would improve the experience for everyone.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be caught dead talking about any project details over text messages. Put the wrong thing in a message and that's a huge liability issue for me and the company.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've worked with a lot of attorneys and bankers in my day. Pretty much all of them did business over text.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Put the wrong thing in a message and that's a huge liability issue for me and the company.

this does not even occur to a huge number of people, you are in the minority, friend!

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I use SMS/MMS 100% of the time. The concept of juggling apps to talk to different people sounds obnoxious.

AMA

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bull3964 posted:

I mean, my boss has texted me on occasion if something has come up, but then the conversation switches to teams.

This goon has never worked outside of a corporate setting and it shows

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’m sure y’all are also the people that insist to use SMS as your 2FA.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Who cares as long as the company doesn't find out

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Kirios posted:

I’m sure y’all are also the people that insist to use SMS as your 2FA.

Password4321 has been working fine all these years and there's no way you NERDS are gonna convince me I should change it :grin:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

currently sitting at a best buy figuring i would trade in the 7 im typing this on for $100 on top of the black friday deal for an 8 but the value dropped from 100 to 41 bucks over the last... week? this is for a damaged back glass btw. a fully functional 7 would only be worth 82 bucks. pretty preposterous if you ask me but hey that's the world we live in.

still, im committed to the decision and just gonna grab an 8 anyway and throw my 7 in the same drawer as my 5 and 2xl

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

ShoogaSlim posted:

currently sitting at a best buy figuring i would trade in the 7 im typing this on for $100 on top of the black friday deal for an 8 but the value dropped from 100 to 41 bucks over the last... week? this is for a damaged back glass btw. a fully functional 7 would only be worth 82 bucks. pretty preposterous if you ask me but hey that's the world we live in.

still, im committed to the decision and just gonna grab an 8 anyway and throw my 7 in the same drawer as my 5 and 2xl

do you have to use Best buy? cause even today google store was offering more than 100 for the 6 pro trade in

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

hark posted:

do you have to use Best buy? cause even today google store was offering more than 100 for the 6 pro trade in

hmm good tip, thanks. but i do prefer to buy from a physical location. having to wait for stuff in the mail, which i've had trouble with in the past, and then not having anywhere to bring a product that's defective or that needs service is not my jam.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

Otherwise, I wouldn't be caught dead talking about any project details over text messages. Put the wrong thing in a message and that's a huge liability issue for me and the company.

The COVID inquiry in the UK is focusing a lot on group text messages between senior government figures,, including the Cabinet. They seemed to forget that, just because the conversation is encrypted, screenshots are still a thing.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

ShoogaSlim posted:

hmm good tip, thanks. but i do prefer to buy from a physical location. having to wait for stuff in the mail, which i've had trouble with in the past, and then not having anywhere to bring a product that's defective or that needs service is not my jam.

sort of on that note, I ordered my 8 pro yesterday, ship date was the 20th, and it arrived about an hour ago. I'm rooting it now so I can backup everything fully. excited it's here but shocked it came so fast.

oh also to edit, I have Google Fi, and they contract out to a specific repair shop that I forget the name of, but I broke my screen a while back on my 6 pro and had it fixed the next day.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I have a Samsung Galaxy s21 and I like it but when I was using it today the screen suddenly went black, never heard of this happening. It still chimes if i get a text or call but nothing seems to make the screen come back on. I tried a bunch of stuff like holding down the power button or holding down the power button and the volume down button at the same time but so far cant get the screen to come back on. it was at like 80% battery when it happened and I let it charge for about 30 minutes before messing with it. I'm gonna try to take it to a company location tomorrow but if anyone knows any fixes that work I'd love to save the trip considering the holidays are coming up and I dont want to spend the last Sunday before Thanksgiving in a cell phone shop. Thanks in advance to any who try to help!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

I have a Samsung Galaxy s21 and I like it but when I was using it today the screen suddenly went black, never heard of this happening. It still chimes if i get a text or call but nothing seems to make the screen come back on. I tried a bunch of stuff like holding down the power button or holding down the power button and the volume down button at the same time but so far cant get the screen to come back on. it was at like 80% battery when it happened and I let it charge for about 30 minutes before messing with it. I'm gonna try to take it to a company location tomorrow but if anyone knows any fixes that work I'd love to save the trip considering the holidays are coming up and I dont want to spend the last Sunday before Thanksgiving in a cell phone shop. Thanks in advance to any who try to help!

Sounds like the display failed. If so, you won't be spared a trip to the shop. You can try plugging it in to an external display like a monitor or TV.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Hey I appreciate the response, luckily there is a shop very nearby, but definitely annoying timing

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone tried OneUI 6.0 yet? Any reason to hold off on installing it?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I don't have it yet on Google fi but I'll install it as soon as it becomes available

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Loving this 8 pro so far. Snappier/more responsive than my 6p, and things just feel smoother. Battery life has been way better too.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

PirateBob posted:

Yeah it's good! I was in the beta program because I hate myself and it was neat to see it pull together as they approached final release.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Funnily enough my new Pixel 8 seems slower in various things than my 7, especially loading up a mobile game.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I was sitting in a whataburger on my way to the t-mobile store to have them look at my phone and I instinctively pulled it out of my pocket and it suddenly just turned on in my hands so it's working fine again! Maybe it was mad I kept pushing back the update.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Sadly appears delayed for everything except the S23

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Aware posted:

Sadly appears delayed for everything except the S23

I updated to 6.0

The default font changed. The quick access panel is a bit different. The clock font on the lock screen is bolder.

And my battery life is worse than ever. That's about it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

hark posted:

oh also to edit, I have Google Fi, and they contract out to a specific repair shop that I forget the name of, but I broke my screen a while back on my 6 pro and had it fixed the next day.
Ifixit should have all genuine official pixel parts soon if they don't already. They are a Google partner and can do warranty work.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

my pixel 8 google pay has been declining payments pretty consistently where my 7 never had a problem. i was thinking the face unlock would make things more smooth but it's been pretty fuckin wonky.

on the 7 it would ask for the fingerprint to be scanned almost as soon as i opened the wallet. now, it lets me scan my phone but then will show the fingerprint icon but also accepts a face unlock without really indicating it? idk real crap experience so far.

also, it's very evident that the pixel watch software is underbaked. using the app to transfer my watch from the 7 to 8 led to multiple loading screens hanging for minutes longer than it *should* have(?) and when i would back out it turns out it was successful or ask to restart or whatever.

pain in my god drat rear end

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

ShoogaSlim posted:

my pixel 8 google pay has been declining payments pretty consistently where my 7 never had a problem. i was thinking the face unlock would make things more smooth but it's been pretty fuckin wonky.

on the 7 it would ask for the fingerprint to be scanned almost as soon as i opened the wallet. now, it lets me scan my phone but then will show the fingerprint icon but also accepts a face unlock without really indicating it? idk real crap experience so far.

also, it's very evident that the pixel watch software is underbaked. using the app to transfer my watch from the 7 to 8 led to multiple loading screens hanging for minutes longer than it *should* have(?) and when i would back out it turns out it was successful or ask to restart or whatever.

pain in my god drat rear end

With my Pixel 8 in hand I am now strongly considering just returning it. General performance feels worse and I too experienced my first every Google wallet decline yesterday. drat do I love the smaller form factor though compared to the 7.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 20, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never had a google pay transaction fail, wtf

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never had a google pay transaction fail, wtf

Same. I never had that issue with my Pixel 8.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Had a Google Wallet one fail on my Samsung watch this weekend mysteriously ... worked fine with the same digital card at the next shop.

Just switched to Wallet from Samsung Pay so I could put my transit card on it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

immediately after the third time trying i just whipped out my actual card and it went through fine.

this also happened when i went to pay for stuff at the container store yesterday but i only bothered with google pay once before just using my card.

this morning at my usual every day coffee spot it worked first try but there's def something fucky going on

e: also as i was composing this message, i got a text from a friend with an iphone that came in three times in a row. that poo poo happens frequently. it really is so ridiculous that something as simple as texting is anything anyone has to even think twice about in 2023 after over a decade of modern smartphones. the consumers lose on both sides and it's awful. hopefully RCS support from apple fixes that but who knows.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 20, 2023

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

ShoogaSlim posted:

immediately after the third time trying i just whipped out my actual card and it went through fine.

this also happened when i went to pay for stuff at the container store yesterday but i only bothered with google pay once before just using my card.

this morning at my usual every day coffee spot it worked first try but there's def something fucky going on

Maybe it was a Square issue , the declined payment I had was also on a Square terminal and my physical card worked immediately.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a way to have the Google One VPN turn on automatically when I connect to certain WiFi networks? Or do I have to toggle it on and off every time. Pixel 7 Pro btw.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

withoutclass posted:

Maybe it was a Square issue , the declined payment I had was also on a Square terminal and my physical card worked immediately.

just went out and made another purchase somewhere else. google pay failed. physical card worked. so annoying.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I've never had a Google pay payment fail on any phone (all pixels) except when I moved away from the reader while it was trying to complete the transaction.

The pixel 8 pro nfc range seems to be quite a bit bigger than the pixel 6 pro i had previously. I've had it read cards in my wallet when casually putting the phone in my lap, and it seems to initiate nfc transactions from about 6 inches from most readers.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I am some sort of caveman that still pulls the card out of my wallet and taps. Sometimes I even use the chip reader.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was wandering around Iceland all last week with my Pixel 8 Pro and it was exclusively how I paid for stuff and didn't have a single failed payment.

Also, it was bizarre having 5g via T-mobile roaming in the middle of nowhere Iceland. I didn't have a single problem with reception while I was over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I was wandering around Iceland all last week with my Pixel 8 Pro and it was exclusively how I paid for stuff and didn't have a single failed payment.

Also, it was bizarre having 5g via T-mobile roaming in the middle of nowhere Iceland. I didn't have a single problem with reception while I was over there.

I was really impressed with the extent of coverage last summer, I think the only dead spots were passing geographic ones while driving from Reykjavik to Akureyri, but even clear out on the end of that Western peninsula sticking into the Greenland Sea I was able to do a video call with folks back home.