Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It's almost as if AI is involved in production somehow, like it's some kind of means or something, and maybe it matters who controls it. Someone should write some books about this, I reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Reduce food waste and improve yields.

I think I'd prefer imprisoning the Tory scum and the wealthy cunts that they've helped rob society for the last 45 years, take their ill gotten gains and redistribute them fairly to solve our poverty issues. But that's me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chubby Henparty posted:

Not sure if those posts are meant to be read in Chris Morris or Vic Reeves' voice, they both work.

ooh vah voo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

I think I'd prefer imprisoning the Tory scum and the wealthy cunts that they've helped rob society for the last 45 years, take their ill gotten gains and redistribute them fairly to solve our poverty issues. But that's me.
What if we reduced food waste and improved yields by turning them into sausages?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

What if we reduced food waste and improved yields by turning them into sausages?

I'm not eating Tory. There's nothing of modesty to them anyway.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wachter posted:

It's almost as if AI is involved in production somehow, like it's some kind of means or something, and maybe it matters who controls it. Someone should write some books about this, I reckon
A version of the communist manifesto written by AI trained on Ayn Rand would be a truly cursed object.

Guavanaut posted:

And would these sausages be nationalised, Jeremy?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'd eat a tory. I don't think I'd enjoy it but willing to try for the greater good.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
lmao at the Torygraph getting bought out by Abu Dhabi

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

:effort:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i think my main concern about ai right now might be that microsoft are crippling the bing image ai with such restrictive censoring to prevent you doing a kier starmer shrek with his tits and cock out that whatever they end up producing will be an incredible shut in ai terrified of sex and criticising those in power.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

AI can be fun and could probably have actual utility in another economic model but as it stands it exists between fun and loving people over. :shrug:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

where is all this loving people over everyone is talking about?

Like "lol AI is poo poo"

"oh no my job"

which is it?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
it can very much be both because bosses are dumb as poo poo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

it can very much be both because bosses are dumb as poo poo

maybe we should make ai the bosses then? seeing as all bosses are idiot dumb as poo poo failsons

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ms Adequate posted:

AI can be fun and could probably have actual utility in another economic model but as it stands it exists between fun and loving people over. :shrug:

chatgpt and Bing have been useful but not transformative in my professional work

they're good for either first drafts of boilerplate nonsense or a quick once over edit of my own first draft of communication, either of which saves me some time and effort

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like "lol AI is poo poo"

"oh no my job"

which is it?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chriswestfall/2023/05/31/non-profit-helpline-fires-staff-shifts-to-chatbot-solution/?sh=71ef017a6dad

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like "lol AI is poo poo"

"oh no my job"

which is it?

also yes I'm not entirely convinced that the net impact of text ai in the immediate past/future is job loss

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

your source posted:

A half-dozen human staff

OH poo poo!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i think its bad for anyone to lose their jobs for trying to unionise and then be scabbed out for a chatbot that actively harmed people trying to get help

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i think its bad for anyone to lose their jobs for trying to unionise and then be scabbed out for a chatbot that actively harmed people trying to get help

i dont think anyone here would disagree but I'm not sure they'd lean on a news story about the loss of 6 jobs when trying to demonstrate AI as a gamechanger destroyer of jobs.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i dont think anyone here would disagree but I'm not sure they'd lean on a news story about the loss of 6 jobs when trying to demonstrate AI as a gamechanger destroyer of jobs.

you actually seem very pleased and excited at the prospect.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

you actually seem very pleased and excited at the prospect.

Do I. Thanks for that insight.

Well its a dual edged sword isnt it? In that yes I'd be ecstatic if AI meant none of us had to work again and we could all just survive, and thrive, on our own terms. But your own article says as soon as the ai was given those 6 people's jobs it basically hosed it totally.

So were not there yet.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well its a dual edged sword isnt it?

Yes. And who's holding it? What, historically, are they likely to cut with it?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like "lol AI is poo poo"

"oh no my job"

which is it?

We called it 'Machine Learning' in my customer support company here.
And about 7 or so years ago they announced an initiative to add it to help us, and to which we thought would eventually replace us.
And they added it to parts of the system, and it sort of works well. But they stopped it as its a huge waste of money and not helping much.

The problem they found out is that you could write the next Skynet or Data, but you can't force customers to give you the correct input data for it to work.
For example a lot of contacts we get are just 'help me'.
A lot of people seem to think that we can read their minds, or see what they can see or have done. Or are the contact that last talked to, so instantly remembers what they chatted about.
So you still need a human to read whatever the machine does.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
AI obviously had actual use which is only going to increase as it advances. The difficulty is that currently this intersects with politics in a very unhelpful way. AI is a tool and is currently a pretty good one in some circumstances, and has potential to be an incredible one, but our issue isn’t with our tools. It’s with how we use them, and that’s a human, social, political problem. Our current issues are human based and no amount of good tools will change that. We need to change how the tools are used and the purpose they’re used for.

Decrying AI is dumb, putting your faith in AI is also dumb. It’s like putting your faith/decrying a hammer, a spade, or a gun.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jakabite posted:

Decrying AI is dumb, putting your faith in AI is also dumb. It’s like putting your faith/decrying a hammer, a spade, or a gun.

solving malnutrition using gun is Rishi's plan B

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Chatgpt is pretty helpful at saving time, but don't ever use it in a subject you're not familiar with because it just makes poo poo up constantly. If you know the topic, you can get it to generate useful stuff in-between the bullshit and pick it out way quicker than you can write boring dreck yourself.

Meaning, yeah. It's basically useless for the general public.

Pretty funny getting CVs written by AI lately though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Chatgpt is pretty helpful at saving time, but don't ever use it in a subject you're not familiar with because it just makes poo poo up constantly. If you know the topic, you can get it to generate useful stuff in-between the bullshit and pick it out way quicker than you can write boring dreck yourself.

Meaning, yeah. It's basically useless for the general public.

Pretty funny getting CVs written by AI lately though.

I just googled how to get chat gpt to write a cv for you and it came up with an example for a scrum master job. Having no idea what a scrum master does (some Agile thingy is about as much as I know), I looked up scrum master:

quote:

As the title implies, the scrum master is the master of scrum, who ensures the scrum framework is followed. Scrum has a clearly defined set of roles and rituals that should be followed and the scrum master works with each member of the scrum team to guide and coach the team through the scrum framework.

What a load of Emperor's New Clothes.
That's even better than my (long expired) Six Sigma Black Belt

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like "lol AI is poo poo"

"oh no my job"

which is it?

Damage to artists and efforts to use it to replace actors in various contexts are the big ones. Also I can't imagine what freelance writing and copywriting looks like these days, though I've not been doing that for years and years now it was already dying a death. Not that I take issue with tech replacing jobs, in fact I think it's a very good thing, but the absence of a good framework for handling such events has long been a problem capitalism can't cope with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah half the issue is not that someone walked into an office and said "Attention Bajoran workers! You are being replaced by ChatGPT" and then booted them all out, it's the concerns of freelancers and comissioned artists who won't ever appear on the 'people fired' stats.

A while back there was a furore in the book world because a reasonably large publisher tried to use AI for a cover, and everyone kicked off because of what it represented - if the publisher had gotten away with it, then no major publisher would ever pay artists again.

The same way Hollywood was literally just on strike so studios would be able to hire extras once and then never pay them again (or pay them a reduced rate for their likeness) completely destroying and homogenising the acting industry.

Funnily enough a different publisher just got caught trying the 'oopsie, we didn't know' excuse, and it's one of those things that without robust legislation is something they're going to keep trying until it becomes normal.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
AI is just the Blockchain for 2023 as far as I can see. Whereas a couple of years ago, people would say stuff like "the Blockchain is going to revolutionise the welfare system!" now they say it's going to be AI instead.

Personally, I've found ChatGpt useful for certain narrow applications in my work, but it can't be trusted to do things by itself and it's certainly no substitute for a human.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Fabricant has a new hair challenger?

New falklands war just dropped.

https://twitter.com/RondelleHobbs/status/1726549220554076326

https://twitter.com/CatchUpFeed/status/1726384376756519029

https://twitter.com/JoeyMannarinoUS/status/1726465012007371051

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
He's got a poo poo haircut, looks like a guy I went to college with in the 90s.lmao

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Oh good that guy won. We gonna get a Falklands 2.0 from him? An actual war might be the one thing to save Rishi, so you know he'd be game.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Seems a 5-day truce may be on the table I/P.

Summary from Palestinian journalist I follow on FB:

quote:

The expected deal includes a five-day truce that includes a comprehensive ceasefire and hostilities, and a complete cessation of Israeli flights in the skies of the Gaza Strip, with the exception of the northern regions, where flights will be stopped for only six hours a day.
The expected deal includes the release of between 50 and 100" hostages held in the Gaza Strip "by Hamas and Islamic Jihad, including civilians and those with foreign nationalities other than soldiers, in exchange for the occupation's release of 300 Palestinian children and women."
The release of these "will take place in stages, at a rate of ten Israeli prisoners per day compared to thirty Palestinian prisoners, with the remaining ones being released on the last day."
The agreement also includes, “the entry of between 100 and 300 trucks of food and medical aid, including fuel, to all areas of the Strip, including the north.”

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I just googled how to get chat gpt to write a cv for you and it came up with an example for a scrum master job. Having no idea what a scrum master does (some Agile thingy is about as much as I know), I looked up scrum master:

What a load of Emperor's New Clothes.
That's even better than my (long expired) Six Sigma Black Belt

To be clear that is exactly how scrum masters talk. It's uncanny.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

EvilHawk posted:

To be clear that is exactly how scrum masters talk. It's uncanny.

It's just repetitive gobbledy gook. I mean "the scrum master is the master of scrum" WTF? People get paid a lot for this I guess. Maybe I should change jobs.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's just repetitive gobbledy gook. I mean "the scrum master is the master of scrum" WTF? People get paid a lot for this I guess. Maybe I should change jobs.

I honestly think it must be a hard job, because you have to be able to just churn out bullshit for 7 hours a day, with a straight face, to loads of other people who know all you're doing is churning out bullshit.

Oh, and doing lots of reporting on dashboards and team velocity, which is similarly dreadful.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's just a term for low-level management.

Or that's my view having worked, and currently working in, several scrum teams.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Funnily enough I've been part of an agile project for the past year now and it works pretty well, we don't have a scrum master though we just have a delivery manager, which is a normal job title for a normal person instead of a minor character from a lord of the rings knock-off straight to TV movie