Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Looking to upgrade my POS Samsung A01. Not looking for flagship or current gen, and am mostly looking for bang for buck. I don't need 5G, 4G is fine and actually has decent coverage where i am. A midrange camera would be fine. SD card is a must. Mostly concerned with speed and battery life. Being able to see the screen outside is a big pro too since I work in the field a lot. On straight talk right now, prefer to stay with prepaid but might be willing to sign a contract if it's a really good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Trauts posted:

Looking to upgrade my POS Samsung A01. Not looking for flagship or current gen, and am mostly looking for bang for buck. I don't need 5G, 4G is fine and actually has decent coverage where i am. A midrange camera would be fine. SD card is a must. Mostly concerned with speed and battery life. Being able to see the screen outside is a big pro too since I work in the field a lot. On straight talk right now, prefer to stay with prepaid but might be willing to sign a contract if it's a really good deal.

What price range are you looking for?

Trauts
May 1, 2010
300 or under

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So I've got a Moto G Power 2021 on a $40/mo H2O Wireless plan, and it's been having ghost touches frequently enough that it has texted random poo poo to my boss. I'd like to see what my options are for replacing it, including contract plans. I'd prefer to stick with an Android phone, something that can do calls, music streaming, texting, and gps simultaneously without crashing or closing apps constantly, and preferably have a decent battery life. I don't care about the camera capabilities, as long as it has one.

It's just me on one line, and I can afford up to $60/mo. I'll need a plan with decent data and coverage, I do onsite laptop repairs and need to download service manuals from random locations throughout Colorado. I could possibly get my mom to add me to her Verizon plan if they can also offer her a phone; she's got two lines currently.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Organic Lube User posted:

So I've got a Moto G Power 2021 on a $40/mo H2O Wireless plan, and it's been having ghost touches frequently enough that it has texted random poo poo to my boss. I'd like to see what my options are for replacing it, including contract plans. I'd prefer to stick with an Android phone, something that can do calls, music streaming, texting, and gps simultaneously without crashing or closing apps constantly, and preferably have a decent battery life. I don't care about the camera capabilities, as long as it has one.

It's just me on one line, and I can afford up to $60/mo. I'll need a plan with decent data and coverage, I do onsite laptop repairs and need to download service manuals from random locations throughout Colorado. I could possibly get my mom to add me to her Verizon plan if they can also offer her a phone; she's got two lines currently.

So, individually there is no one line contract plan for $40-60 a month ($65+tax sure). So if you stay on a single line you should just buy a phone full retail.

Would need some details for the Verizon plan, but in general they are probably paying $120-140 for 2 lines. 3 mines is $135-165. So , it likely is $20 a month different to add you on, the split would be like, $45 a line if you do an even split.

On these plans you can def get an iPhone 14, Samsung S22 or Google Pixel 7 free with 3 year contract.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The savings on combining lines is pretty massive on Verizon. They go from the most expensive to one of the cheapest; for 5 lines between me and my parents I'm paying an average of $37 per line (three "welcomes," two "unlimiteds"). It won't be as big of a difference at 3 lines, but it'll definitely save quite a bit annually; it's definitely worth talking to your mom, and you can both be administrators on the account (both of my parents are administrators on our shared account).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One thing as an fyi: you have to do autopay with one checking account or debit card (not a credit card unless it’s the Verizon one), so just make sure one member of the family is ok with essentially paying the bill and then you Venmo them every month.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I am a long time Pixel enjoyer, and it's time for me to get a new phone because the custom ROM I'm using on my 3a XL to get security updates is getting a little buggy. US Cellular is good in my area, and they have Pixel 8 for $399. The $40 Unlimited plan also seems like a decent enough plan for the price. Carrier unlock after 120 days if I end up wanting to switch anyway?

I think I'm going for it, but wanted a sanity check from the thread.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

An unlocked Pixel 8 is $550 and a 7a is $375 on Amazon right now, so that's worth considering if you don't want a new contract.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah I saw the $550 phone, but figured $560 for the phone and four months of service beats it. Since I can leave with the phone unlocked at the end if I want to. This isn't one of the things where it's a discount applied to my bill over 36 months or something, $399 is just the price.

I'm currently on Tello for $30 a month but I've found a new place I'm frequenting is a T-mobile dead zone, so I'm seeing switching a potential plus, and I feel like if it turns out I hate US Cellular four months isn't too long to endure.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

I'm looking for the cheapest possible backup plan that can get some SMS activations occasionally. USMobile has a $5/month prepaid plan and even that's overkill for what I plan to use. Are there any plans that let you prepay for a block of minutes/texts without a monthly minimum?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm looking for the cheapest possible backup plan that can get some SMS activations occasionally. USMobile has a $5/month prepaid plan and even that's overkill for what I plan to use. Are there any plans that let you prepay for a block of minutes/texts without a monthly minimum?

Might want to look into pre-paid cell phone cards.

Such as this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/entertainment-gift-cards/prepaid-minutes/abcat0801003.c?id=abcat0801003

That's what I used to use around 2005 or so. I'd go 3 months without using my phone, then buy a $50 card and send $0.10 text messages.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Might want to look into pre-paid cell phone cards.

Such as this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/entertainment-gift-cards/prepaid-minutes/abcat0801003.c?id=abcat0801003

That's what I used to use around 2005 or so. I'd go 3 months without using my phone, then buy a $50 card and send $0.10 text messages.

Yeah, I know you used to be able to just bank minutes on T-Mobile as long as you topped up every 12 months, but they retired that plan and I haven't been able to find anything similar.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tricky Ed posted:

Yeah, I know you used to be able to just bank minutes on T-Mobile as long as you topped up every 12 months, but they retired that plan and I haven't been able to find anything similar.

If you find one awesome, but they’re mostly discontinued because well, they don’t make as much money on those as they do on monthly plans. So it’s worth losing a few customers to charge the others more.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Trauts posted:

I have needs similar to yours; got a samsung A03 for free and while it's hard to beat free, good lord the thing is slow as poo poo. I just need a faster phone that isn't a PITA (and maybe knows which way I'm facing when using maps and stuff).

Found this for $270; OnePlus 10T 128GB. No SD card slot, but I could live with 128 GB. Why would it be so cheap tho? Same phone is $500 on amazon. I haven't purchased anything on ebay in years so dunno what the scam situation is like
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1859977340...emis&media=COPY

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tricky Ed posted:

Tracfone still has rollover data, although I believe they are now only using Verizon towers or soon will be if they haven't switched over already.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Wachter posted:

Any UK goons here on idmobile? I need a new Pixel or similar and their tariffs seem really good. Any gotchas?

This is probably way too late for you at this point but for anyone else considering iDmobile, it's worth knowing that they piggyback off of Three's network, and if you're in a busy place you have the least network priority. What this means is that if you're, say, in a busy part of Central London, you'll have no signal despite having full bars. It happens way more often than I'd like. I've been on idmobile since the start of 2022 and I'm very eager to switch as soon as my contract is up.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So I just got a line on my mom's Verizon plan and got a Pixel 8, and I'm not terribly happy with the screen size and battery life. What options will I have in terms of returning it for another phone? Would the Pro sort those two issues? Or should I look at a Motorola or another brand? I'd honestly like as big a screen as I can get, and really long battery life. I'm even open to phablets, I just know nothing about that hardware landscape.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So I just got a line on my mom's Verizon plan and got a Pixel 8, and I'm not terribly happy with the screen size and battery life. What options will I have in terms of returning it for another phone? Would the Pro sort those two issues? Or should I look at a Motorola or another brand? I'd honestly like as big a screen as I can get, and really long battery life. I'm even open to phablets, I just know nothing about that hardware landscape.

30 day return policy, $50 fee to exchange it. You have to go through the channel you bought it from. If corp, a corp store can exchange it. If you happened to get it at an indirect store you have to go through that store, etc.

One part of this answer is simple: Motorola is terrible dear god do not exchange for a Motorola.

Assuming you did a trade in promo, I would exchange for a Pixel 8 pro IF you feel you like the pixel but just want a bigger screen, or I would exchange for the S23 Ultra.

Only you can really decide, here are reviews.

https://www.theverge.com/23912370/google-pixel-8-pro-review-camera-assistant-magic-editor-best-take-audio-eraser

https://www.theverge.com/23598871/samsung-galaxy-s23-ultra-review-camera-battery-screen-s-pen

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

One part of this answer is simple: Motorola is terrible dear god do not exchange for a Motorola.

:hmmyes:

Seriously agreed - it is hard to overstate how bad Motorola is.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i'm currently looking at getting a refurb Galaxy S23, but wanted to check in here before I pull the trigger. Is there another cell phone you'd recommend if I want: 1. 256gb storage, 2. long battery life, and 3. definitely good enough for tiktok. good enough for mobile gaming a nice cherry on top, but I'd rather have $200 than mobile games. I'm also open to waiting until Christmas if you think there will be Big Deals

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 5, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I pay $70/month for two lines, 10 GB per line, I never use more than 1GB, so we could probably just use 10GB total. Pre-paid MetroPCS, not the best coverage around town, we've always just bought our phones unlocked and connected them.

I'm willing to switch to a new carrier, Verizon, AT&T, etc.
Any plans that are comparable to my current situation?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I pay $70/month for two lines, 10 GB per line, I never use more than 1GB, so we could probably just use 10GB total. Pre-paid MetroPCS, not the best coverage around town, we've always just bought our phones unlocked and connected them.

Prepaid Verizon with autopay is $35 a line with autopay, so same price but possibly better coverage. It’s call , text and 15Gb a line.

Def check around, just a lot of carriers don’t do lower shared gig plans anymore because they don’t want to.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

My main phone is on Verizon Prepaid (grandfathered plan that with autopay and loyalty discounts is down to $26.25 per month with 5GB of data) and it's been great.

My secondary phone is on a Tracfone plan (using Verizon towers) and I pay around $20 per month for I think 3GB of data that rolls over, and since I never use that phone it has over 41GB of data banked. I also have my dad's phone on Tracfone on a similar plan, and as far as I can tell it's been just fine, though he barely uses any data and also has an absurd amount of data saved up.

One thing I would say is that Verizon Prepaid has a better website and autopay. Tracfone is workable, but their site is kind of inscrutable and as far as I can tell I have accidentally paid both lines on my account way the hell into the future because autopay chokes on my dad's line (I think because he is in a different ZIP code from me) and I get paranoid about it accidentally getting shut off and him not noticing or telling me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m looking to buy an android phone to do hobbyist mobile software development on, what is the cheapest one I can buy that’s still usable? I don’t care about cell service

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

I’m looking to buy an android phone to do hobbyist mobile software development on, what is the cheapest one I can buy that’s still usable? I don’t care about cell service

Hard to say without knowing what your threshold on usability is.

You can find a cheap Samsung A01, A02 or A03 on eBay probably. The A03 is $160 new.

Moto G series phones are cheap. Same thing for the 2021 or 2022 version. The current cheap Moto is the Moto Pure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

If you're fine with used, there's Pixel 6's on Swappa in "fair" condition for around $150.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If you don't give a poo poo about brand or carrier I would see what my pawn shop and or phone repair place have for cheap.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

You should actually call the sales number because they may (or may not) have the offer on your current plan. Online doesn’t always show that.

It should all just move over via Google when you log in. Contacts, pictures and apps at least.

Hey this worked, thanks much. Just gotta figure out how to get the data not connected to my Google account off of my current phone while the physical data port barely works...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I think I'm just about done with T-Mobile. Paying 130 bucks after corporate employer discount, not counting device payments which are a few months away from being done, for 2 lines. I checked with my employer to see what changes occurred and all 3 of the big carriers don't have appealing deals. With T-Mo for example, they're only offering 15% off on Magenta MAX only which is only a couple bucks under what I'm paying for now with more or less the same benefits and that's without the AutoPay discount (I do not want to give them my bank information so please don't suggest the workaround, I do not want to give them that information, full stop). I know AT&T and Verizon are the same on that front so I'm stuck there on that point.

I'm ready to pay off my phones and hold on to them for another year or so (iPhone 13's) and start looking at MVNOs. I'm in the Orange County, California area and besides T-Mobile, I've had Verizon in the past which was just fine for me coverage wise. 2 services currently have my interest, US Mobile's Unlimited Essentials/Premium plans (35/45 per line) and Visible's Visible+ plan (45 per line). My average data usage is around 40GBs so those plans would fit my regular usage plus headroom. Currently US Mobile has a bigger share of my interest since I keep seeing positive response to their customer support and the ability to choose between T-Mobile and Verizon networks on sign up. However if this Reddit post about data prioritization is to be believed, I would benefit more from USM's Unlimited plans on the Verizon networks and Visible+. Visible is a little bit less interesting since I would have to manage 2 separate accounts as they're focused on single line subscribers.

Am I going in the right direction? Is there an option I haven't considered yet?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you looked at prepaid plans?

Verizon Prepaid has decent deals, and you can use a credit card to get the autopay discount - you don't have to give your bank account info. I mostly use credit cards for autopay for that very reason - I hate having my bank account info out there anywhere.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I think I'm just about done with T-Mobile. Paying 130 bucks after corporate employer discount, not counting device payments which are a few months away from being done, for 2 lines. I checked with my employer to see what changes occurred and all 3 of the big carriers don't have appealing deals. With T-Mo for example, they're only offering 15% off on Magenta MAX only which is only a couple bucks under what I'm paying for now with more or less the same benefits and that's without the AutoPay discount (I do not want to give them my bank information so please don't suggest the workaround, I do not want to give them that information, full stop). I know AT&T and Verizon are the same on that front so I'm stuck there on that point.

I'm ready to pay off my phones and hold on to them for another year or so (iPhone 13's) and start looking at MVNOs. I'm in the Orange County, California area and besides T-Mobile, I've had Verizon in the past which was just fine for me coverage wise. 2 services currently have my interest, US Mobile's Unlimited Essentials/Premium plans (35/45 per line) and Visible's Visible+ plan (45 per line). My average data usage is around 40GBs so those plans would fit my regular usage plus headroom. Currently US Mobile has a bigger share of my interest since I keep seeing positive response to their customer support and the ability to choose between T-Mobile and Verizon networks on sign up. However if this Reddit post about data prioritization is to be believed, I would benefit more from USM's Unlimited plans on the Verizon networks and Visible+. Visible is a little bit less interesting since I would have to manage 2 separate accounts as they're focused on single line subscribers.

Am I going in the right direction? Is there an option I haven't considered yet?

So, MNVOs are a great option.

General fyi: all carriers basically prioritize based off of how close of a customer you are. It basically goes priority access postpaid, postpaid, priority access prepaid, prepaid, then MNVOs like Visible and US Mobile. Coverage can be the same, but data speeds can be different if on busy towers.

Verizon prepaid is $50 for line one , $30 for line 2. That’s non priority access , but that’s where I would start. It’s $10 a month more if either line wants priority access.

So you could get 2 lines on Verizon prepaid for $80 a month, prob $90-92 with taxes.

Btw, Visible kind of sucks, so def don’t do Visible.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
OK, thanks! I'll take a look at it and compare.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Btw, Visible kind of sucks, so def don’t do Visible.

What's particularly sucky about Visible?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

All the downsides of Verizon service (admittedly still better than most) with none of the customer service.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Nose posted:

What's particularly sucky about Visible?

What Alex said, plus it seems to be particularly aggressive on being lower on the data totem pole. Very much just hear say, but yeah. I had a lot of visible switches to Verizon proper , mostly due to people having issues.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Can I get a phone recommendation with a good camera?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kazr posted:

Can I get a phone recommendation with a good camera?

iPhone 15 Pro or pro max, Samsung S23 Ultra, or Google pixel 8 pro. All very good. Check your carrier for promos.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Recently bought a Pixel 7a, its wonderful, more than enough for my needs.

I am going on an oversea trip, and I would rather not bring my new phone. What is the cheapest smart phone I can buy, unlocked, to put a SIM card in when I get to my destination? Basically just needs to run Whatsapp and not be a total piece of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Recently bought a Pixel 7a, its wonderful, more than enough for my needs.

I am going on an oversea trip, and I would rather not bring my new phone. What is the cheapest smart phone I can buy, unlocked, to put a SIM card in when I get to my destination? Basically just needs to run Whatsapp and not be a total piece of crap.

Going used would probably the cheapest option. Your description of what you want is so vague it's hard to be really specific. If this is going to be treated as a disposable device then I'd say avoid anything new with less than 64GB of storage, and check the radio bands to make sure it will work in your destination country. This is about the only situation I might consider Motorola to be a semi-reasonable option, because you definitely don't want one of those as a long-term device, but as a temporary throwaway it might be worth it. Maybe.

Motorola really, really sucks when it comes to software support and updates, so I generally recommend people avoid them like the plague.