Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

Yeah, its not unusual to bring in a manager and just say "This person will be spending some time getting to know the platform and will have no direct reports for a while", but they have the title because thats what they were hired to do.

I wonder if this is some "We all had to be Developers first, this new guy (with existing management experience) has to do that too" which is also Not Good from a culture perspective.

It could be that, but the simpler and more likely explanation would be that it's exactly what it looks like: a textbook bait-and-switch. I would guess they already knew before they posted it who was getting the managerial role and now they're just using the applicant pool to try to fill an IC position (either the position vacated by someone internal they're promoting, or someone resigned recently and they're just going through the managerial applicant pool instead of posting the IC position). People who work there know what the deal is, but if you don't know anyone on the inside you can't tell.

It doesn't matter, of course. The important thing is to understand it's a giant red flag where the only explanations are incompetence or dishonesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It doesn't matter, of course. The important thing is to understand it's a giant red flag where the only explanations are incompetence or dishonesty.

This. If they advertised $220k and your offer came in with $165k, then you'd tell them exactly where to shove it.

Do the same with the title bait and switch. Does it actually matter? No... unless they won't give you the title that you applied for, because it matters to them. In which case they're showing you a whole bunch of the internal organizational rationalizations for doing fucky things. There's room to have a conversation of "I'll accept an offer for the job I applied for." but there's no room to play their little gently caress around game, because you're the one who's gonna end up finding out.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Lockback posted:

Yeah, its not unusual to bring in a manager and just say "This person will be spending some time getting to know the platform and will have no direct reports for a while", but they have the title because thats what they were hired to do.

Yeah this is what I was expecting and it's whatever.

Lockback posted:

I wonder if this is some "We all had to be Developers first, this new guy (with existing management experience) has to do that too" which is also Not Good from a culture perspective.

This is silly.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

leper khan posted:

Yeah this is what I was expecting and it's whatever.

This is silly.

They came up not at all on salary and tried to spin some story about not having management titles in the org despite having management titles in job req's

:yikes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

leper khan posted:

They came up not at all on salary and tried to spin some story about not having management titles in the org despite having management titles in job req's

:yikes:
Okay but have you considered how funny it'd be to find their employees on LinkedIn claiming to have management titles and ask about them? Like you're never going to work in this shithole at this point, so you may as well make it awkward for somebody on the way out.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hi thread, I have a negotiation question and would like some advice for the specifics. I'll have to be a bit vague on names, projects, etc, for obvious reasons.

I worked at big company A in the EU up until the end of last month, when me and a number of other employees were (quite suddenly, by our standards) made redundant and paid in lieu of notice. However, I learned that another division of the company had been trying to find space for me, because I had been doing a lot of work for them and they had really appreciated it - unfortunately (for them) they had learned about it too late and couldn't get headcount approved. They reached out last Friday to see if I would be interested in working for them as a contractor - they hope until March, but it might go longer, or it might end up finishing before then. They have N projects in the pipeline, and an important one ongoing they'd like to get finished asap, however, I can't say I expect to be working 40+ hours a week. There's a good chance there'll be downtime.

I know roughtly what I was being charged out at per day from my division to theirs in company A (€X). I know my hourly rate and benefits, of course (€Y, much less than X). I don't, however, have an idea of what might be "normal" rates in this area for contracting, if there even are any. I am not currently under any financial strain and have other applications going at the moment, but it would be nice to have continuity of employment until I find one if nothing else. (I also have a recruiter who is asking me to give them a figure for a role before providing me with a spec, which right now I'm avoiding doing but might give them a large figure and see what they say, just to continue discussions with multiple people).

How do I negotiate from this position to get the best income possible?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

Hi thread, I have a negotiation question and would like some advice for the specifics. I'll have to be a bit vague on names, projects, etc, for obvious reasons.

I worked at big company A in the EU up until the end of last month, when me and a number of other employees were (quite suddenly, by our standards) made redundant and paid in lieu of notice. However, I learned that another division of the company had been trying to find space for me, because I had been doing a lot of work for them and they had really appreciated it - unfortunately (for them) they had learned about it too late and couldn't get headcount approved. They reached out last Friday to see if I would be interested in working for them as a contractor - they hope until March, but it might go longer, or it might end up finishing before then. They have N projects in the pipeline, and an important one ongoing they'd like to get finished asap, however, I can't say I expect to be working 40+ hours a week. There's a good chance there'll be downtime.

I know roughtly what I was being charged out at per day from my division to theirs in company A (€X). I know my hourly rate and benefits, of course (€Y, much less than X). I don't, however, have an idea of what might be "normal" rates in this area for contracting, if there even are any. I am not currently under any financial strain and have other applications going at the moment, but it would be nice to have continuity of employment until I find one if nothing else. (I also have a recruiter who is asking me to give them a figure for a role before providing me with a spec, which right now I'm avoiding doing but might give them a large figure and see what they say, just to continue discussions with multiple people).

How do I negotiate from this position to get the best income possible?

Ask for $X. Don't settle for less than $Y+additional tax burden + your estimated downtime/overhead.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also tell the recruiter to pass you the spec or stop contacting you.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

As a contractor also in the EU I noticed yhat it’s not unlikely for larger companies to negotiate a higher rate on big contracts. That’s usually the case if/when they agree to fill at least x amount of roles per year (and subcontracting on their own dime if necessary).

So if your old company got €200 per hour, it’s not uncommon that any individual contracter would not be able to a more than €100-120 per hour. This can of course differ greatly per country.

If you worked for a smaller consultancy company I’d definitely ask €X. They already paid it for your services so no reason to stop doing that just because the check goes somewhere else now. They know you’re worth it and hiring and getting someone else up to speed will take time.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

In this case, it was being cross-charged within the same company, but the advice I was getting isn't that far from what you're suggesting.

I think I might do X/2 + something to account for the extra expenses + 10%. I don't want to sour things by completely overshooting but that would still be a good payday for me.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Cavelcade posted:

In this case, it was being cross-charged within the same company, but the advice I was getting isn't that far from what you're suggesting.

I think I might do X/2 + something to account for the extra expenses + 10%. I don't want to sour things by completely overshooting but that would still be a good payday for me.

Also, do you know these people sufficiently well and or is the negotiation in writing or in a meeting/over the phone? If the latter, you can get away with a tongue in cheek “just send the $200/hour you used to pay to [old department] direct to me” easier than if you have to write it up. Best case they just do so, otherwise they’re now making the first offer, you counter at that plus twenty percent and you haven’t pegged low at the start.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Cavelcade posted:

You're pre-negotiating with your imagination and compromising your position. You know that this was a price they were willing to pay. Make them justify paying less than that.

Remember that freelance rates price in the uncertainty of freelance positions. You need to make enough to cover your current expenses, your long-term saving goals, and also some amount of expected downtime once this contract ends. They work with contractors more than you do and they should understand this.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tricky Ed posted:

You're pre-negotiating with your imagination and compromising your position. You know that this was a price they were willing to pay. Make them justify paying less than that.

Remember that freelance rates price in the uncertainty of freelance positions. You need to make enough to cover your current expenses, your long-term saving goals, and also some amount of expected downtime once this contract ends. They work with contractors more than you do and they should understand this.
Freelancing also means paying your own benefits (health insurance, etc.) and paying the employers' share of your taxes along with your own. Plus you are usually supplying your own tools and equipment. Plus you may need professional services (accountant, lawyer) to handle the peculiarities of the freelance life. Budget for all of that as well.

Freelancing is a tough and nerve-wracking way to make a living. All credit to people who find a way to make it work for them.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Tricky Ed posted:

I have won the war against myself and asked for €X.

Honestly kinda making GBS threads it but we'll see what happens.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Cavelcade posted:

I have won the war against myself and asked for €X.

Honestly kinda making GBS threads it but we'll see what happens.

So is it safe to say you’re only making GBS threads yourself?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What will you say if they say no?

What will you say if they say x/2?

Figure these questions out now before they respond and you are potentially dealing with some emotions.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Just got done with an interview for an analytics engineering position, $175k, full remote. We'll see how it goes.

Only thing is I currently have five other jobs. I'm FTE @ 3 companies and full-time contract at two others. I'm gonna have to drop something soon, I think. Too many Benny Hill scenarios taking multiple calls at once. Plan is to cut it down to FTW @ 2 companies and have one contract, shoot for around ~$400k/yr cash comp. Kinda rules in an MCOL area

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Euronymous posted:

Just got done with an interview for an analytics engineering position, $175k, full remote. We'll see how it goes.

Only thing is I currently have five other jobs. I'm FTE @ 3 companies and full-time contract at two others. I'm gonna have to drop something soon, I think. Too many Benny Hill scenarios taking multiple calls at once. Plan is to cut it down to FTW @ 2 companies and have one contract, shoot for around ~$400k/yr cash comp. Kinda rules in an MCOL area

I'm now more convinced that RTO is a good idea.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lockback posted:

I'm now more convinced that RTO is a good idea.

This is the sort of poo poo that will ruin it for the rest of us

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

If your ideal model of the world depends on people not getting while the getting's good, welp

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
No idea how you could manage to do that legally while fulfilling requirements in non-competes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

leper khan posted:

No idea how you could manage to do that legally while fulfilling requirements in non-competes.

feel like they ain't doing it legally

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
People like that are going to end remote and force me to sell my house and move :[

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
No they aren't. They'd use any excuse to force you back, if not this guy, they'd blame the lack of "corporate culture".

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah OE isn't going to be the cause. At the end of the day, if you met your performance targets then who cares? If you aren't being measured on that, then that's your company's fault. CEOs and fractional execs do the same poo poo, but it's ok because they are super special and in a class by themselves?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

It’s not ok but yes they think that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The problem is in remote management I won't fire someone for having a trouble or a bad couple or months or something, I want to work with them to develop them. But if the reason you're having problems meeting goals is you have multiple jobs then you're wasting everyone's time and shittily taking away an opportunity from someone who could probably use it because you want to move from the top 3% in income to the top 1%.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If he's got any brains he's also outsourcing most of the work to randos on fiverr or whatever

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Eric the Mauve posted:

If he's got any brains he's also outsourcing most of the work to randos on fiverr or whatever

employers hate this one weird trick!!

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Lockback posted:

The problem is in remote management I won't fire someone for having a trouble or a bad couple or months or something, I want to work with them to develop them. But if the reason you're having problems meeting goals is you have multiple jobs then you're wasting everyone's time and shittily taking away an opportunity from someone who could probably use it because you want to move from the top 3% in income to the top 1%.

What if I don’t have problems meeting goals

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Euronymous posted:

Euronymous posted:

I'm gonna have to drop something soon, I think. Too many Benny Hill scenarios taking multiple calls at once.

:hmmno:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Euronymous posted:

Well as above shows I know one thing about your work and it's not good.

My company has caught a couple OE people and it was after the exact scenario I described where we were trying to help low performers before discovering they had multiple jobs. It's possible there are others who I am not aware of but every time I look at a high performer I see a public LinkedIn profile that is easily identifiable.

The contract gigs are less of a concern but I would bet if you disclosed what you were doing to the full time gigs they'd happily show you the door because you weren't as advertised. Maybe you're good enough to not get fired as is but the fact you won't come clean means you know you aren't doing as good of a job as was expected.

Either way, you can hand wave that RTO is inevitable (at my company and tons of others it's not) but this is a real risk to it and the more it happens the more ammo is given to topple the experiment.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

True, except if I do this for just a few more months I'll have enough money that it won't matter if the experiment is toppled, so I'm gonna get that bag. Sorry

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Usually I don’t have a problem with anyone loving over the “job makers,” but yeah, this one is actively against the labor’s goals. Combined with that avatar.

You do you.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

gbut posted:

Usually I don’t have a problem with anyone loving over the “job makers,” but yeah, this one is actively against the labor’s goals. Combined with that avatar.

You do you.

Uh oh, I've entered the targets of the only people left on SA - BFC 6 figures makes and internet communists

See, it's me. I'm the bad one, destroying Hustle Culture(TM)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Euronymous fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 21, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You fellow thread regs know this is just some guy who wandered in from cspam to work a gimmick, right

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Euronymous posted:

True, except if I do this for just a few more months I'll have enough money that it won't matter if the experiment is toppled, so I'm gonna get that bag. Sorry

Excellent class solidarity here. High fives all around.

e:

Eric the Mauve posted:

You fellow thread regs know this is just some guy who wandered in from cspam to work a gimmick, right

Good point. I'll stop.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Class solidarity means maintaining Hustle Culture. If we take all the employer's money, who's gonna give us money??

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
In thread-adjacent news, yesterday I had a discussion with my previous manager about a new (internal) opportunity. I told her that making a role change next quarter could be challenging because I was running point on a major project, and she (correctly) told me that there is never a good point to vacate a position, that the department would try to hold me in this role as long as possible, and that I needed to look out for myself first of all.

Funny thing is, when she was my manager hardly a year ago she told me the exact opposite when another team was trying to hire me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

In thread-adjacent news, yesterday I had a discussion with my previous manager about a new (internal) opportunity. I told her that making a role change next quarter could be challenging because I was running point on a major project, and she (correctly) told me that there is never a good point to vacate a position, that the department would try to hold me in this role as long as possible, and that I needed to look out for myself first of all.

Funny thing is, when she was my manager hardly a year ago she told me the exact opposite when another team was trying to hire me!

Manager's #1 job is to look after their remit, #2 job is to look after themselves, #3 job is to look after the team.

You jumped from 3 to 1 and they're telling you to be mindful about 2 because you weren't able to do that previously.