Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
nunes rousey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Wandy knocking out Brian Stann was pretty good catharsis for both Wandy fans and SA MMA. GSP-Hughes 2 and GSP-Bisping got huge cheers out of me, but I think GSP-Serra 2 might have cracked some of the concrete in the Bell Centre.

Both of the Anderson-Chael fights were probably the reigning feel-good champs until Nate-Conor, Khabib-Conor, and Dustin-Conor 2/3. I think I woke up my entire house when that triangle went on.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
My top 5 most satisfying rear end-whoopins

Holm kicking Rouseys head off
Diaz choking out Conor
Khabib destroying Conor
GSP dominating Koshcheck
GSP dominating Niaz

And out of all those fighters, I only like one of them.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shumagorath posted:

Wandy knocking out Brian Stann was pretty good catharsis for both Wandy fans and SA MMA.

this just reminded me. i used to throw $2 on whole-card parlays and i only ever hit one, this card, picked all of them. it was like 500 bucks payout. thanks wandy.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
anderson/chael was a heartbreaker. chael was like half a round from becoming champ and then getting stripped of the belt for steroids which would have been incredible.

this was when anderson was massively dominant but aside from the forrest destruction, he was coming off a bunch of really loving boring title fights. and chael knocked him down in the first round and beat the poo poo out of him. we were all rooting for him. but it's chael and he'll find a way to lose drat it.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
also thinking of the time i think johny hendricks posted his fight camp budget and there was some insane number for the nutrition portion and dunc said “life is difficult for a fighter, you think making $50k a fight is a lot, you need to buy food to eat, and toilet paper for your rear end, it adds up”

rip

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

nunes/cyborg

I don't think anyone thought that would be so one sided. I screamed so loud at those knockdowns

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Foul Fowl posted:

anderson/chael was a heartbreaker. chael was like half a round from becoming champ and then getting stripped of the belt for steroids which would have been incredible.

this was when anderson was massively dominant but aside from the forrest destruction, he was coming off a bunch of really loving boring title fights. and chael knocked him down in the first round and beat the poo poo out of him. we were all rooting for him. but it's chael and he'll find a way to lose drat it.

i wanted chael to win that because he talked himself into a title fight by playing a ridiculous heel then nearly went out and did the drat thing. in retrospect was he the catalyst for saying lovely right wing baiting bullshit to get a push?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ilmucche posted:

i wanted chael to win that because he talked himself into a title fight by playing a ridiculous heel then nearly went out and did the drat thing. in retrospect was he the catalyst for saying lovely right wing baiting bullshit to get a push?

i recently watched his classics. i was stunned at how tame it seemed in the modern era.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Yes. He was a boring fighter who racism/xenophobia baited his way into a title shot and it was obvious even then. I was very happy when Anderson submitted him, it was both the funniest and the best outcome.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

ilmucche posted:

He absolutely was, and I think it's bizarre how we've allowed him to rehabilitate himself into good ol' uncle Chael. Had he won against Anderson and avoided getting popped for the roids, we would never have heard the end of it. Instead he lost, got popped, very cleverly tuned his character and the MMA community lapped it up.

gently caress Chael Sonnen. He's a carny huckster who used racism and right-wing talking points to cover up his lack of skill. The promos he stole off Superstar Billy Graham weren't even good, it's just that the bar for speaking is so low in MMA that he somehow got branded as the vanilla version of the Rock.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Was there ever a more satisfying rear end whipping than was handed to Koschek by GSP?

Masvidal getting his brains wrung out by Usman hit me like a quaalude, I can still lower my blood pressure just by thinking about it

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ilmucche posted:

i don't think the two are related, unless you think chael is the reason that dana got in bed with trump, and the reason why U.S. politics in general have become this bizarre battle for pop culture relevance. he might be the reason a lot of fighters try to talk trash even though they're terrible at it, though.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

beep by grandpa posted:

nunes/cyborg

I don't think anyone thought that would be so one sided. I screamed so loud at those knockdowns

gently caress, I forgot that one.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's official:confuoot:

https://x.com/MMAJunkie/status/1726640819770466792?s=20

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think the two are related, unless you think chael is the reason that dana got in bed with trump, and the reason why U.S. politics in general have become this bizarre battle for pop culture relevance. he might be the reason a lot of fighters try to talk trash even though they're terrible at it, though.

Yeah, Chael always transparently did not mean what he was saying and said things that were so ridiculous that they were difficult to take seriously. The impetus for fighters now coming out and unironically saying xenophobic stuff is just Trump and Dana coming out to be a hardcore trump supporter/insider.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Chael thrived off the ambiguity of whether the poo poo he was spewing was only part of the character he was playing or not. It's different from Colby in magnitude not kind.

Saying racist stuff to make more money isn't better than saying racist stuff because you really believe it. The persona he was playing, while a heel, was as much American Hero as it was Braggadocios Villain. While I've mostly managed to tune him out in the intervening years, I'm not aware of him ever dropping kayfabe since becoming inactive to say that his statements were wrong, harmful, and intended to make him a villain.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Derrick Lewis busting Travis Browne's rear end is one of my all time feel good wins. For no particular reason other than watching Travis Browne fail was very amusing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Not only did Chael lose, and chirp that steroid use gave people ball cancer before himself popping, but his mother told the athletic commission he bad tiny balls.

Maybe I’m conflating the mom part with GSP-BJ 2: Greasegate, but someone definitely told the AC that he needed exogenous testosterone for very funny reasons.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheKingslayer posted:

Derrick Lewis busting Travis Browne's rear end is one of my all time feel good wins. For no particular reason other than watching Travis Browne fail was very amusing.
Reminded that Fabricio Werdum, in another masterful in-ring troll, got Browne to look at his own bare foot by pointing at it with a “your shoe’s untied” gesture then iirc hitting him in the face when it worked.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Not only did Chael lose, and chirp that steroid use gave people ball cancer before himself popping, but his mother told the athletic commission he bad tiny balls.

Maybe I’m conflating the mom part with GSP-BJ 2: Greasegate, but someone definitely told the AC that he needed exogenous testosterone for very funny reasons.

Chael's mom claimed he never hit puberty.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

Chael's mom claimed he never hit puberty.

Chael himself said that

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

mewse posted:

Chael himself said that

Ohhh that's right. She was there to confirm the tiny balls thing. Now it's coming back to me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't know why that hearing is seared into my memory. The weirdly deferential tone of the commission members towards Chael, Chael claiming he never went through puberty, every supplicant repeatedly saying "your honor" and being reminded they weren't in a court room

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

they both fell off hard but that first dillashaw/barao fight was a straight-up mugging. dillashaw had the perfect gameplan

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Reminded that Fabricio Werdum, in another masterful in-ring troll, got Browne to look at his own bare foot by pointing at it with a “your shoe’s untied” gesture then iirc hitting him in the face when it worked.
That was so cartoonish and great.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

My top 5 most satisfying rear end-whoopins

Holm kicking Rouseys head off
Diaz choking out Conor
Khabib destroying Conor
GSP dominating Koshcheck
GSP dominating Niaz

And out of all those fighters, I only like one of them.

What do you got against GSP?? :canada:

My top 5 most satisfying rear end-whoops:

GSP over Koscheck
GSP over BJ Penn
GSP over Serra
GSP over Bisping
Hendo over Bisping

I can't tell you how long I laughed at this image when I first I saw it, but it felt like FOREVER. I was in actual pain from how much I guffawed at this Photoshop I loved that knock out so goddamn much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Was there ever a more satisfying rear end whipping than was handed to Koschek by GSP?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hahaha :bisonyes:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Both fights ended up mentally tormenting the loser as well.

Bisping said he was sent the redcoat photoshop daily for months if not years.

Koscheck couldn't get on a plane for I think a few weeks because his orbital was so shattered

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do you have his email address? I'll send it again right now

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
The H Bomb was glorious but that fight also gave us the British Double, and Hendo's subsequent look of utter contempt.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Koscheck couldn't get on a plane for I think a few weeks because his orbital was so shattered

Omg, I know laughing at mental health issues is a faux pas but :xd:

I am now this close to getting a high quality print out of that redcoat Photoshop and framing it.

Skulker posted:

The H Bomb was glorious but that fight also gave us the British Double, and Hendo's subsequent look of utter contempt.

Are you serious? "The British Double"? I love that so much. God, Bisping was such a poo poo-heel in his prime!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LobsterMobster posted:

imo the first fight was better. Kos spent the entire hype cycle saying “he’s never faced a wrestler on my level” and GSP doubled him straight onto his butt in what I recall being less than ten seconds. The look on Koschek’s face was just this glorious, bug-eyed “what just happened?? / oh noooooooo”.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley had absolutely brutal knockouts of Kos too. The short left Robbie hits Kos with from the sprawl sounds like he had a brick in his hand.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
One other fun little bit from Hendo vs Bisping: Between rounds, his corner yells at Mike that he's moving to the left too much, or "YOU'RE WALKING ONTO HIS BACK HAND, IT'S ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!" but he just can't help himself and keeps circling left, right into his own demise

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bigfoot vs overeem

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

STONE COLD 64 posted:

bigfoot vs overeem
This made me look up Bigfoot’s fight record and… :catstare:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It seems impossible that this trial will ever reach a conclusion but we might be closing in on something.

https://twitter.com/erikmagraken/status/1726747888448118877

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
For satisfying beatdowns, a lot of the good ones already got mentioned, so I'll put in an obscure one: Mike Brown Leonard Garcia.

Not that Garcia was scummy or anything. He's always seemed like a pretty nice guy. But his wild, flailing style could result in as many frustrating fights as great ones, sometimes beating guys that absolutely should have known better. Then, against Brown, Garcia throws one of his trademark looping punches and Brown just counters straight over the top and loving flattens him. I thought Garcia might have been dead. It was just amazing to see someone pull off, so effortlessly, a counter than had seemingly always been there but no one had ever managed to pull off. One of those 'why don't they just do X' and then someone went and did X.

LobsterMobster posted:

It was more like months for Kos. I remember that he was talking how it still hurt a full year later, around the time of the Woodley or Lawler fight.