Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Dr. Poz posted:

I was using Infuse for 4k stuff years back but at this point I think all the issues that kept it around have been resoled. Dolby Vision support wast the last thing that was spotty for me, but I just haven't gone in on it anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.

Did they fix the audio sync issues on 4k HDR yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Matt Zerella posted:

Did they fix the audio sync issues on 4k HDR yet?

Not sure. Went and skipped around a 4k HDR movie and had no issue. Been watching a 4k HDR show recently. Googled the problem and saw one that sounds similar caused by having the AppleTV setting Match Content Frame Rate turned on. I also don't experience the "judder" so maybe I have other settings on the TV (LG C2) to prevent, or maybe my content is just in a sweet spot. Frame and audio syncing issues are things that usually stick out to me and I haven't had any issues with it recently.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry if this has been asked recently, are there any good guides for beginners for setting up a Plex Server with recommendations for good tools etc?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bowmore posted:

Sorry if this has been asked recently, are there any good guides for beginners for setting up a Plex Server with recommendations for good tools etc?

Do you have any special requirements? Because installing plex and even exposing it to the internet so you can share it are absolutely at the point of "the instructions from plex tell you how to do this". https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288586-installation/

This is not some scrappy little open source project where the docs aren't keeping up with the releases and you need some special knowledge of other apps or servers to make it work.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

Do you have any special requirements? Because installing plex and even exposing it to the internet so you can share it are absolutely at the point of "the instructions from plex tell you how to do this". https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288586-installation/

This is not some scrappy little open source project where the docs aren't keeping up with the releases and you need some special knowledge of other apps or servers to make it work.
Not really, I didn't realise Plex had some decent guides so thanks for pointing me in that direction

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

bowmore posted:

Plex - TRaSH Guides https://trash-guides.info/Plex/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd say the Plex official guide to get up and running, then Trash Guide if you want to fine tune your quality profiles or something afterwards.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've been fiddling with things for a few months now and i'm curious if anybody has any insight from their own experiences. Why is it so hard to stream to a local TV? And I know its on the TV end. Everything on my library side currently works flawlessly. Everything properly virtualized/containerized with a Tesla T4 for transcoding. Everything on the network side is excessive overkill with 10g and wifi 6e. But it was the same issue before I transitioned from Plex to Jellyfin -

Why is it so hard to put media from my server, on the local network, onto a TV? Server to PC? Flawless. Server to Phone? No issue. But Server to TV? Constant issues.

With the Old Chromecast dongles they wouldn't properly report their media restrictions so any 4k content wouldn't be properly transcoded and the device would just throw an error.
Tried Kodi on a Steam Link but while functional that had a similar issue with being a pain while still being limited to 1080p
Old Apple TV doesn't want to work for anything but the paid apps.
New Chromecast is awful with Google TV, and i'm suffering through it right now where that godawful homescreen only exists to get me to the Jellyfin app plus i'm annoyed that it needs to be tied to my google account to function.

What am I missing? Is there a smart TV with this built in yet? Is there some Pi image that will just give the TV an App screen without the bloatware. Preferably one I can tie to a handheld remote over IR or BT so you don't have to gently caress around with your phone when you want to control it. I'll compile my own stupid OS build if I need too but I must be missing something right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've been using Rokus for years and years and never have any of the client issues I see people fighting with in this thread.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Sure but when I was looking at Roku's the Roku TV thing seemed just as bad as the Google TV thing. I can roll anything I want hardware wise. I've got everything from RasperyPi's and OrangePis, to salvaged $1000 industrial Single Board Computers. I just not having luck finding the right software/firmware to put on them.

I miss the days when you'd have a crack to flash whatever OS you wanted on little gadgets like those to delete all the crap they ship with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I was not suggesting Roku TVs. I was suggesting standalone Rokus.

When you're complaining about things not working and then saying you want to roll your own out of things you have laying around I'm not really sure what to suggest anymore. You're literally a $25 Roku stick away from having everything just work if you do in fact have everything else in order.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

M_Gargantua posted:

I've been fiddling with things for a few months now and i'm curious if anybody has any insight from their own experiences. Why is it so hard to stream to a local TV? And I know its on the TV end. Everything on my library side currently works flawlessly. Everything properly virtualized/containerized with a Tesla T4 for transcoding. Everything on the network side is excessive overkill with 10g and wifi 6e. But it was the same issue before I transitioned from Plex to Jellyfin -

Why is it so hard to put media from my server, on the local network, onto a TV? Server to PC? Flawless. Server to Phone? No issue. But Server to TV? Constant issues.

With the Old Chromecast dongles they wouldn't properly report their media restrictions so any 4k content wouldn't be properly transcoded and the device would just throw an error.
Tried Kodi on a Steam Link but while functional that had a similar issue with being a pain while still being limited to 1080p
Old Apple TV doesn't want to work for anything but the paid apps.
New Chromecast is awful with Google TV, and i'm suffering through it right now where that godawful homescreen only exists to get me to the Jellyfin app plus i'm annoyed that it needs to be tied to my google account to function.

What am I missing? Is there a smart TV with this built in yet? Is there some Pi image that will just give the TV an App screen without the bloatware. Preferably one I can tie to a handheld remote over IR or BT so you don't have to gently caress around with your phone when you want to control it. I'll compile my own stupid OS build if I need too but I must be missing something right?

Built in TV apps dont' get the love and support from developers because they're often based on completely different hardware platforms with low performance chips or compromised decisions (10/100 ethernet port in 2020 LG???? WHY?). only a fraction of a fraction of plex/jellyfin users are using the built in TV apps which deprioritizes it for the devs.

If you want a simple device to plug into your TV and have it just work, you're going to have to suffer through ads and bloatware. You're looking at either a new AppleTV, which has less annoying ads but playback issues on very specific video and audio codecs, or a nvidia shield pro from 2019, which has the worst ads but the best playback.

If neither of those options are acceptable, you could try setting up a pc, but you're going to run into all the classic issues home theater pc's generally have in terms of playing well with HDR/dolby vision/atmos, matching frame-rate, getting a remote to work etc. If you can suffer through all of that, you'll probably end up with a better experience, but it requires tons of work up front. Pick your poison.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'll try the Roku 4k stick then. Fingers crossed it'll be minimally bloated.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I have an android tv and it’s been my main Plex player for about 8 months and I have had exactly 1 issue with a file not working right. A friend has an Android TV and has reported no issues streaming from my server. A couple friends use Roku TVs and have reported that everything works fine and that’s including 4K HDR content. It’s the Samsung TVs that can have issues or the one friend who uses a PS4 lol.

M_Gargantua posted:

I also use one of these on a spare tv and while it generally works most of the time it has hard locked several times while trying to play some 4K content, fwiw.

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 21, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

There's like one ad to the right on the home screen. This could be worse if you aren't running something like pihole, but I sure wouldn't know because who would do that?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

There's like one ad to the right on the home screen. This could be worse if you aren't running something like pihole, but I sure wouldn't know because who would do that?

They have another one at the bottom-left these days. :argh:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Plex server nerds should get hip to Sonarr + Radarr + Overseerr and enjoy seamless hands-off media requests on the go.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Corb3t posted:

Plex server nerds should get hip to Sonarr + Radarr + Overseerr and enjoy seamless hands-off media requests on the go.

I'm too picky to trust automation and generally don't watch things as they air, so meticulously flipping through releases to determine the best one for my library (and then checking in every few years) is sadly part of the hobby for me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Corb3t posted:

This really is the best. Overseerr is infinitely more mobile friendly than any other app in the chain, so even if you don't share with anyone (or don't want to give your users access to it), just having it for yourself is worth it.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

HKR posted:

I'm too picky to trust automation and generally don't watch things as they air, so meticulously flipping through releases to determine the best one for my library (and then checking in every few years) is sadly part of the hobby for me.

You can granularly choose what qualities of a given video are important, assign them a number value, and say "Upgrade this until you hit the highest number you can." This avoids keeping the worst quality stuff and eventually replaces anything that's merely ok (because it's all that was around at the time) with something that's up to snuff. It takes a small bit of time to set up, but especially compared to manually making those decisions on your own you'd be saving time in the long run and I'd definitely recommend it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Trash Guides gives you a great list of filters and settings to automatically avoid 99% of the low quality stuff.

The quality of the -Arr software stackup and its clean integration with all the other potential client software is impressive. That might be the source of my frustration with the endpoint clients, the contrast between it and the server side open-source is tangible.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

HKR posted:

*arrs can be nice for that too, you don't have to automate things. You can list releases for a movie or whatever and select what you want, it's especially handy if you have multiple sources.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Radar + Sonarr + Ombi have been a staple for my friends and family for 3+ years at this point. Once you get it set up the way you want, it’s very minimal maintenance - I barely touch it at this point. I log in a few times a year to poke at a download that died or got stuck for some reason, otherwise that’s about it.

Running it all (including Plex) on my Unraid box via Docker so they just update themselves once a week.

I don’t even watch tvs or movies lol I just keep it running for everyone else.

I did look into switching from Ombi to Overseerr recently, but didn’t see much of a point. I did notice that other programs hook into Overseerr much more than Ombi, but I haven’t found a use case for those yet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

IOwnCalculus posted:

This really is the best. Overseerr is infinitely more mobile friendly than any other app in the chain, so even if you don't share with anyone (or don't want to give your users access to it), just having it for yourself is worth it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Also do not set up Trash Guides manually. Automate them with Recyclarr.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
For those of you running something like unraid or freeNAS for your server, how do you have plex/jellyfin set up?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nodoze posted:

For those of you running something like unraid or freeNAS for your server, how do you have plex/jellyfin set up?

It's running in a docker container, and set up according to Trashguides. Is there something specific you're looking for?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nodoze posted:

I have Plex running on a small low power intel PC (HP S01) on ubunutu server os and point it towards my unraid NAS. On the NAS is all of the *arrs in separate dockers.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

It's running in a docker container, and set up according to Trashguides. Is there something specific you're looking for?

Mostly anything that is "do not do this". I don't have any experience with either yet, or docker, but I am starting to look around at hardware deals to build it up. I've just been running it off my desktop which I want to stop doing for various reasons

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nodoze posted:

Mostly anything that is "do not do this". I don't have any experience with either yet, or docker, but I am starting to look around at hardware deals to build it up. I've just been running it off my desktop which I want to stop doing for various reasons

Biggest nono imo is do not let Plex delete files for admins, treat your Plex access to your movie folder as read only. It's covered in the TrashGuide for Plex setup.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For Unraid check out Spaceinvader One's videos on YouTube. He's got videos to cover almost anything you'd want to do.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Biggest nono imo is do not let Plex delete files for admins, treat your Plex access to your movie folder as read only. It's covered in the TrashGuide for Plex setup.

Enos Cabell posted:

For Unraid check out Spaceinvader One's videos on YouTube. He's got videos to cover almost anything you'd want to do.

Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Nodoze posted:

Matt Zerella posted:

Nodoze posted:

Enos Cabell posted:

Yup, running it Plex, Radarr, Sonarr, Deluge, NzbGet, and Ombi all via Unraid's built in docker and community apps tab. It's incredibly easy. Also seconded SpaceInvaderOne's tutorials on Youtube for Unraid explainers. Incredibly helpful!

Have fun! It's a rabbit hole for sure!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I currently operate an HP Proliant server running ZFS in RAIDZ2. I prefer ZFS over Unraid due to its robust recovery capabilities, contrasting with some concerning stories I've heard about Unraid horrors I've heard. The reliability of ZFS became evident during a dist upgrade when a simple "zpool import neriak" effortlessly rediscovered all disks and correctly configured mounts, including NFS/SMB connections.

I run Plex on the same server, utilizing a low-profile Nvidia card with early CUDA support for hardware encoding, compensating for the absence of built-in encoding in the processor.

I plan to transfer Plex operations to a superior system with a better GPU and CPU, but I'm waiting until I have time to bond the two Ethernet jacks. I encountered challenges with a guide I attempted to follow, like the example article linked, but keep failing. fortunately, the first method proved non-permanent and cleared on reboot.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Corb3t posted:

100% agree. The quality of these pieces of software is so far beyond almost anything else in the open source space. I wouldn’t run a server without them.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Also do not set up Trash Guides manually. Automate them with Recyclarr.

Better yet pay a one time fee of like $5 and use notifarr, guii is nice

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

kri kri posted:

Better yet pay a one time fee of like $5 and use notifarr, guii is nice

It's an option but I personally don't like giving a third party access to these services. That's just me though.

E: point is, those profiles change and it's a lot easier to invest the time in automating them into your arr vs setting up everything manually.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Matt Zerella posted:

E: point is, those profiles change and it's a lot easier to invest the time in automating them into your arr vs setting up everything manually.

I know of people were noggin on tdarr* with it's ui/ux horribleness (myself included) but it's a great tool for mass transcoding. Considering using it to possibly search for all Atmos surround and convert it to normal rear end 5.1 AAC . Sure, I'll lose out on a ton of ambiance but even playing the movies straight on mobile / new PCs can cause problems especially if the CPU is slow.

* The UI/UX, I realize now, is "programmer UI" wherein the UI makes sense to them. I look at my projects and they are either command line scripts that tell the bare minimum or just a mess of drop downs and checkboxes with nonsense labels that make sense to someone that knows what is going on in the background

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I've just been building out the dockers on my Unraid NAS, and I'll say that actually I've liked Ibracorp videos / wiki more for guides than Spaceinvader One.

I'm running Traefik and Authelia with Cloudflare, and it's pretty great. I'm using Notifiarr rather than Recyclarr for Trash Guides sync, and it seems able to do a whole lot more I haven't played with yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

I'd like to set someone like that up. Is there decent hardware solution that's not too huge to put Plex, Radarr, Sonarr, torrents, etc. on? Like if I just buy a NAS online or something and follow some guides to set it up?