Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm real happy with this

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Sedgr fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 21, 2023

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^^ i'm fukken dying here

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

What NuTrek is this from?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

What NuTrek is this from?

It's not. It's from Enterprise. It's actually a pretty good episode

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

CainFortea posted:

It's not. It's from Enterprise. It's actually a pretty good episode

Is that the one with the Velcro origin story?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Is that the one with the Velcro origin story?

No, though I do like that one a lot too.

The snowman one is basically the Enterprise finds some comet that has a rare mineral that the vulcans know little about, archer goes "Ha fuckin vulcans don't know poo poo" and they decide to extract it. An rear end in a top hat vulcan captain shows up and is like "it's just a comet chill bro drat u guys are easily impressed"

Vulcans won't help with the project but they just sit and watch. This bothers Archer cause he's got a huge chip on his shoulder about Vulcans just sitting and watching and not helping.

He keeps trying to reach out to them which just weirds the vulcans out even more, eventually he convinces them to have dinner where the vulcan shows up and just insults him constantly.

Then the away team gets trapped on the comet and all of the enterprise's attempts at getting them free fail, and that's when T'Pol manages to get Archer to understand that aliens are loving alien and if he really wants to the vulcans to stop treating him like a child he should just ask them to use their tractor beam to save his crew's lives.

Edit: The snowman was made by the guys on the comet and originally it was just a snowman and then Archer is like "Hey maybe don't act like loving children when the vulcans are watching" so the guys on the comet make it a vulcan snowman.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

To be fair to Archer: the Vulcans in Enterprise were assholes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

To be fair to Archer: the Vulcans in Enterprise were assholes.

Oh, 100%. And even not only in Enterprise they're often assholes.

He just took it way too personally. They weren't out to get him with their assholishness. Or his dad. They didn't care about either of them.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My father's engine!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

CainFortea posted:

Edit: The snowman was made by the guys on the comet and originally it was just a snowman and then Archer is like "Hey maybe don't act like loving children when the vulcans are watching" so the guys on the comet make it a vulcan snowman.

Goddammit okay Enterprise does have its flashes of brilliance sometimes

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

CainFortea posted:

Oh, 100%. And even not only in Enterprise they're often assholes.

He just took it way too personally. They weren't out to get him with their assholishness. Or his dad. They didn't care about either of them.

theyre at least consistent in being assholes

and then there was captain solok who had that weird thing about sisko. you know, the baseball episode

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mailorder bees posted:

theyre at least consistent in being assholes

and then there was captain solok who had that weird thing about sisko. you know, the baseball episode

The one DS9 episode I refuse to watch. But yea him. You also see a lot of it in SNW.

VOY is the exception with Tuvok, who's like the least assholish Vulcan. But VOY also had Vorik who is your bog standard rear end in a top hat vulcan

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The one DS9 episode I refuse to watch. But yea him. You also see a lot of it in SNW.

VOY is the exception with Tuvok, who's like the least assholish Vulcan. But VOY also had Vorik who is your bog standard rear end in a top hat vulcan

Why? It's a fun episode. Trek and Baseball!

I do admit though the Vulcan's dickishness does seem over the top.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

My father's engine!

I'm gonna try to watch Enterprise again one day, but I was deeply disillusioned with it when it aired, for reasons like this. The Captain is a loser! Like what the hell!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Vulcans are definitely best when they're written as aloof and judgmental instead of as outward vocal racists

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

CainFortea posted:

The one DS9 episode I refuse to watch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOL also the Niners got smoked. They claimed a "moral victory" at the end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
archer was just some guy. he was kind of lovely at his job and maybe in general, but not exceptionally so.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Why? It's a fun episode. Trek and Baseball!

I do admit though the Vulcan's dickishness does seem over the top.

I don't care about the vulcans being dicks I just think there is literally no sport more boring in the world than baseball. I'd rather watch cricket. At least things happen at a pace more than once every 10 minutes.

redshirt posted:

I'm gonna try to watch Enterprise again one day, but I was deeply disillusioned with it when it aired, for reasons like this. The Captain is a loser! Like what the hell!

That's one of the things I like about it though, because you're watching Archer realize he's also being an rear end in a top hat and come to terms with the fact that he's not actually the center of the vulcan's universe and then he starts the process that creates the best captains from the future.

Squiggle posted:

Vulcans are definitely best when they're written as aloof and judgmental instead of as outward vocal racists

I disagree. I think that one of the biggest weaknesses of Star Trek is treating every alien culture as a monolith. They wouldn't be. The fact that the vulcans have their T'Prings and their Tuvoks shows depth to them as a people.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The DS9 baseball episode rules. Worf's lines, Rom's actor's baseball background and how they had to handicap him, and it's just fun. Plus the moral victory isn't hammy. They celebrate the accidental score while having a blast and the Vulcan can't stand it.

Voyager in LA in the 90s was pretty fun. Sarah Silverman on Star Trek is a trip. I liked Tuvok's line about how they could have just worn their uniforms and no one would have noticed.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Had ENT S5 been made, the Vulcan's would have had to come up with pretty good explanation on how the f**k they didn't at any point mention to anyone on Earth that they know exactly who Romulans are, how they operate, and most likely what they want. Earth and Romulans going for a ships vs. ships war against each other, and still stonewalling us for any information until Kirk manages to drive over one near the Neutral Zone.

"Just slipped our mind, stop asking questions stupid humans, go do your "science" by studying new animals, ecosystems and anomalies, instead of just staring at an orb, reciting sacred texts, and calling it an experiment."

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 21, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oh, yeah. Those guys. Distant cousins, no idea what's up with them. Haven't stayed in touch you know?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

redshirt posted:

Not only a loser, that would be rude understatement towards Archer.

He is a nepobaby that got selected to the NX program and got promoted to the first seat over the rest of the class and specifically over his much more qualified friend, who got buried in red tape after being made the sole scapegoat for making Vulcans look like the backstabbing assholes they were with the entire Warp 5 engine ordeal.

They said it in that episode, NX-1 when completed and ready to go out does not need a pilot, it needs a captain. So they chose the guy who takes his dog to take a piss in what the locals call "sacred forest", keeps getting overattached to all sorts of stupid poo poo and endangering the ship and the crew while doing so, keeps getting kidnapped because he keeps forgetting to bring security detail with him, has inferiority complex the size of Jupiter against Vulcans, and does not bother learning the local taboos and customs before starting first contact events such as formal dinners.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wait I thought the Vulcans didn’t know the Romulans secret identity until Balance of Terror?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Wait I thought the Vulcans didn’t know the Romulans secret identity until Balance of Terror?

That's what THEY want you to believe.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

galagazombie posted:

That's what TOS implies, although I think there's a lot of holes in that idea and I like the fan theory that Federation higher ups knew the truth about the Romulans and kept it a secret to preserve their new alliance (this is also I believe what the Enterprise sequel books went with). Enterprise has a couple Vulcan characters secretly working with the Romulans, although the knowledge isn't widespread beyond that.

The whole "nobody knows what Romulans look like" thing doesn't make a ton of sense with the worldbuilding of Trek in general, since it was thrown out there for a one-off episode to teach a lesson about prejudice and not really intended to be expanded beyond that. It probably would have been best to just retcon it like other early TOS weirdness, but they didn't go that way and here we are.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's what TOS implies, although I think there's a lot of holes in that idea and I like the fan theory that Federation higher ups knew the truth about the Romulans and kept it a secret to preserve their new alliance (this is also I believe what the Enterprise sequel books went with). Enterprise has a couple Vulcan characters secretly working with the Romulans, although the knowledge isn't widespread beyond that.

The whole "nobody knows what Romulans look like" thing doesn't make a ton of sense with the worldbuilding of Trek in general, since it was thrown out there for a one-off episode to teach a lesson about prejudice and not really intended to be expanded beyond that. It probably would have been best to just retcon it like other early TOS weirdness, but they didn't go that way and here we are.

T'Pol's father was also intended to have been revealed to be a Romulan agent in Season 5 of Enterprise.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

To be fair about porthos peeing on the tree, they didn't know that ahead of time. It just looked like a park.

It's not like they told him about there being sacred trees and peeing on them is awful and he went "lol check out my dog tree pee machine"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Extremely dog owner to go "Lol my dog is making GBS threads and pissing allover your property. I don't give a poo poo about you or your wants lol."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Makes you wonder just how much the NX-01 must have just absolutely reeked of dog poo poo and dog piss over the course of its lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The General posted:

Extremely dog owner to go "Lol my dog is making GBS threads and pissing allover your property. I don't give a poo poo about you or your wants lol."

r/dogfree is over there