Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

a nice little delivery day today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but Barnes and Noble has a sale on the Criterion Collection right now. 50% off.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

pwn posted:

Speaking of, I stumbled over IFC last week and checked the schedule to see what films (independent or otherwise) were coming up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9vgOapkbPY

:shepface:

It’s a real problem for a lot of cable channels. They’re in a death spiral. They don’t air enough programming, so people get bored, which leads to them cutting back and essentially becoming background noise that nobody pays attention to.

It’s fascinating with Comedy Central. They used to be a place with a lot of interesting and quality programming, and now it’s Seinfeld, the Office, Parks and Rec, South Park, and edited for content movies. There’s nothing to grab new viewers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

History was pretty close to 24/7 Pawn Stars last time I actually watched cable. It was bad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The last time I saw any cable, it seemed like a lot of channels were emulating streaming by showing long (5 hours +) blocks of the same show, which was boring and sucked poo poo.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Nolan prefers using interpositives because all the color timing is baked in and doesn't have to be re-done from scratch since he doesn't do digital intermediates. Another reason is likely that an interpositive will accurately replicate the look of a mint 70mm print in terms of grain structure. A lot of older films have to have some filtering applied because stuff starts to show up that never would have been visible in original prints because nobody projects a camera negative. Obviously not a concern for a newer film, but there's not really any quality loss from not using the camera negative. I believe Paul Thomas Anderson prefers to do the same for his films.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That makes a lot of sense, he locks in the original color timing thus preventing the ridiculous series of changed color timings we see with some films over the length of their home video existence.

But who approves of Nolan's movies on BD and UHD then? Because they have, at times, looked radically different. The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Interstellar, Memento, and Inception all have very different colour schemes depending on the release. Was the (infamously awful) Dark Knight BD struck from the negative and the UHD from an interpositive since they look so different - and which one did Nolan approve?

And, also, what's with Nolan's (and many other filmmaker's) obsession with the colour green? I am so goddamn sick of this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Green is an easy way to create unease I assume

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
But it's pretty much always a blanket tint from beginning to end? Am I supposed to feel uneasy all the time?

Don't answer that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So annoyed I didn’t grab the Oppie Steelbook. It looks so good. Why didn’t I do it!?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Boywhiz88 posted:

So annoyed I didn’t grab the Oppie Steelbook. It looks so good. Why didn’t I do it!?

I loving forgot too.

At least I was able to grab the Walmart exclusive + The Fugitive so I'm not super pissed.

EDIT: gently caress Walmart cancelled my order.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 21, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Got my fugitive steelbook yesterday, gonna really miss best buy for the steelbook option.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Steen71 posted:

But who approves of Nolan's movies on BD and UHD then? Because they have, at times, looked radically different. The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Interstellar, Memento, and Inception all have very different colour schemes depending on the release. Was the (infamously awful) Dark Knight BD struck from the negative and the UHD from an interpositive since they look so different - and which one did Nolan approve?

And, also, what's with Nolan's (and many other filmmaker's) obsession with the colour green? I am so goddamn sick of this.

It gets funnier with european releases where you get english in dts and the rest of the languages in barebone digital 5.1. When they released the tenet uhd here in italy with simple 5.1 audio, it got so many one star reviews on amazon and returns Warner had to make a new disk with italian encoded in dts.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The UHDs of Nolan's films, as well as Criterion's Blu-ray of Following, are the only titles I know of that are explicitly labeled as director-approved. Inception was and is a reference quality Blu-ray, so maybe he wasn't as active on that end before. Might be a similar thing as the Matrix films where it wasn't until the 4K masters prepped for UHD that Bill Pope was brought in to supervise.

By the way, Kino's acquisitions guy Frank Tarzi went on Cereal at Midnight again and hinted at a bunch of upcoming stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dUzqaW-aFs

Biggest lead would be that they're doing a UHD of Shane next year, as well as getting another hundred or so StudioCanal titles (including some 4K). This is on top of new Paramount, MGM, and Universal deals.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Disney leaves all that money on the table and can’t figure out why they’re losing money.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/screenslate/status/1727103781664608386?s=46
Huh, well that explains that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you preordered anything during VS’s pre-Black Friday sale preorder pre-sale sale, they sent out a 5 dollar coupon good only for products sold under the mysterious new DEQ, URBER sub label they teased earlier

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Joe's apartment bluray incoming

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

If you preordered anything during VS’s pre-Black Friday sale preorder pre-sale sale, they sent out a 5 dollar coupon good only for products sold under the mysterious new DEQ, URBER sub label they teased earlier

For "non disc" items on the label specifically

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

For "non disc" items on the label specifically

not according to the email I got

quote:

As a special "Thank You" for placing a Black Friday related Pre-order, we're offering you a special single-use $5 coupon which can be used for anything related to a brand new label created by several of the devious minds behind VS, and which we will be distributing. In addition to discs, this new label will feature plenty of unique merch, some of which has been produced in extremely limited quantities, so your safest bet will be to check the site as close as possible to 12:01 AM EST on Friday, right as the sale goes live…

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Joe's apartment bluray incoming

I just rewatched that on Tubi. It was easily 25+ years since I’ve seen it as a kid.

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1727117868033040886?s=46
https://x.com/shout_studios/status/1726981903839047680?s=46

dorium fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 22, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

not according to the email I got

Oh it's because I'm a subscriber and our discount applies

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/severinfilms/status/1727036810986197296?s=46
SOON!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Is Rover Dangerfield good stuff? I did read Rodney's book, and I like All Dogs Go to Heaven...

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Whatever happened to There Will Be Blood on 4K? It was "announced" earlier this year, although it seemed like it wasn't anything official.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Heavy Metal posted:

Is Rover Dangerfield good stuff? I did read Rodney's book, and I like All Dogs Go to Heaven...

It's one of those movies that as a kid I assumed everyone knew and had seen a million times, but then as an adult I realized that was just my family. It's good though, if you like that era of stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

codyclarke posted:

It's one of those movies that as a kid I assumed everyone knew and had seen a million times, but then as an adult I realized that was just my family. It's good though, if you like that era of stuff.

Oh I sure do, early 90s is a magical time. Added to the list, thanks 👍

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

TheOneVader posted:

Whatever happened to There Will Be Blood on 4K? It was "announced" earlier this year, although it seemed like it wasn't anything official.

Haven't heard a thing about it, I'm wondering the same thing about KL's 4k sneakers announcement.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bought Saw X and Oppenheimer 4K :hellyeah:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

who wanted this

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

david_a posted:

who wanted this

Gripweed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

No I don't, those movies are all terrible. And hat set has barely any extras. Interviews and commentary for one movie, with a film historian. Yay. It doesn't even include the documentary! They're comedies, how about some loving outtakes? If they got even some of the footage of the canceled FMV game, that would be a huge deal! But no, nothing. Absolute bullshit box.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
(He's buying it)

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

If it was like 20-30$ that would end up being a post-bar Amazon purchase for me for sure, but 70? Get outta here.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Completely random unreliable info but I was at Best Buy yesterday and one of the managers was telling me that they're starting to think Best Buy might reverse it's decision to stop selling physical media. They're apparently getting a lot of pushback from their various partners, i.e. t.v. manufacturers, movie studios etc.

Maybe in the end they keep selling discs to some degree but stop doing the steelbooks and maybe drop some of the smaller boutique labels like Shout Factory.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
So Oppenheimer's standard edition is even on a month backlog.

Might as just wait until the price drops tbh (getting someone to print me a custom slipcover's gonna run me an extra $15 anyways).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Universal has got to be pooping their diapers over the Oppenheimer sales numbers. I don't even think Barbie sold this well physically on its first week where it was sold out in local and in online stores.

Real glad I bit the bullet and grabbed that steelbook before it sold out. Now to clear my calendar so I can sit down and watch everything.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
"gently caress streaming" is calcifying into conventional wisdom among movie enjoyers. Nolan's latest selling out makes sense.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

dorium posted:

Universal has got to be pooping their diapers over the Oppenheimer sales numbers. I don't even think Barbie sold this well physically on its first week where it was sold out in local and in online stores.

Real glad I bit the bullet and grabbed that steelbook before it sold out. Now to clear my calendar so I can sit down and watch everything.

Yeah, I'm planning to pick up Barbie since it's on big sale at Best Buy, but haven't check the stock levels. Hopefully soon there's a version with better special features, the amount of care and love that everyone involved with the production seems to have for it is very promising for it to be a rich bounty.

I did preorder the Oppenheimer steelbook, my partner enjoyed the movie p well but for me it's the poster boy for the thread title.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Only because I've been seeing some deals but not really sure what to get (if any) is there a reason I'd want a solo 4K player vs using my Xbox Series X? I have a home theater and I know a big draw is Dolby Vision but unfortunately my projector doesn't support it. Curious if there's any other reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tim Whatley posted:

Only because I've been seeing some deals but not really sure what to get (if any) is there a reason I'd want a solo 4K player vs using my Xbox Series X? I have a home theater and I know a big draw is Dolby Vision but unfortunately my projector doesn't support it. Curious if there's any other reason.

You can get a region-free dedicated player and play non Region 1/A DVDs and Blus. That’s why I bought one.

Chris James 2 posted:

Bought Saw X and Oppenheimer 4K :hellyeah:

Is Saw X on sale anywhere in particular? Amazon has it for $25.