Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Warfield wearing full marine armor isn't that unusual, General Duke had a similar getup in SC1:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Duke never bothered with the pants for videocalls

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nostalgamus posted:

Warfield wearing full marine armor isn't that unusual, General Duke had a similar getup in SC1:

When I was a kid I interpreted Duke's SC1 portrait as wearing a fashionable red scarf and having a little topknot

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

megane posted:

When I was a kid I interpreted Duke's SC1 portrait as wearing a fashionable red scarf and having a little topknot
Me too! It's so bizarre that he's suddenly in power armor now.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I figured Warfield in marine armor was just Blizzard doing the thing that goes back to Starship Trooper's (the book) "every man fights" bullshit.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It also lets the developers re-use the animation rig from Jimmy and Tychus, which is something Blizzard used to be incredibly stingy with back in the day. You'd be amazed at how many random creatures in WoW are secretly a reskinned Core Hound with one of the heads missing!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

aniviron posted:

Counterpoint: Warfield was in marine armor on the battlecruiser. I can't imagine the armor is comfortable or particularly useful on the bridge of a ship, which suggests to me that he was always planning on going in with the infantry.

In the book, Liberty's Crusade, they have a segment talking about the fleet pulling out from over Tarsonis and leaving Kerrigan behind. The viewpoint character, and Jim are both in full Marine armor for that segment, and the viewpoint character basically has to yell at a bunch of stimmed-out-of-their-brains marines to be able to make his way to the bridge.

Also the Battlecruisers walkways are designed to fit a marine in full armor going one direction. In combat situations, going fore or aft requires different hallways.

I think the biggest thing that Starcraft forgets to remind players of is just the scale of some of the larger units. Mostly this comes down to how they appear as units in the actual fight, but Battlecruisers, carriers and Ultralisks all often end up (in my head at least) like, 1/3rd the size. So when you see something like the HOTS teaser or the BroodWar intro, and see just how big those units actually are it breaks my brain a bit.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Calax posted:

In the book, Liberty's Crusade, they have a segment talking about the fleet pulling out from over Tarsonis and leaving Kerrigan behind. The viewpoint character, and Jim are both in full Marine armor for that segment, and the viewpoint character basically has to yell at a bunch of stimmed-out-of-their-brains marines to be able to make his way to the bridge.

Also the Battlecruisers walkways are designed to fit a marine in full armor going one direction. In combat situations, going fore or aft requires different hallways.

I think the biggest thing that Starcraft forgets to remind players of is just the scale of some of the larger units. Mostly this comes down to how they appear as units in the actual fight, but Battlecruisers, carriers and Ultralisks all often end up (in my head at least) like, 1/3rd the size. So when you see something like the HOTS teaser or the BroodWar intro, and see just how big those units actually are it breaks my brain a bit.

You oughta see the "Real Scale" campaign mods for Starcraft 2 :P

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Calax posted:

Fun fact: Depending on which option we take, we'll be able to see another example of this (and one of the coolest design choices in WoL, IMO) very soon!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

aniviron posted:

Counterpoint: Warfield was in marine armor on the battlecruiser. I can't imagine the armor is comfortable or particularly useful on the bridge of a ship, which suggests to me that he was always planning on going in with the infantry.

Maybe he's a convict who made good.

Are all Terran forces maybe slave soldiers, like the Janissaries?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The official lore for how most Terran soldiers are 'recruited' is uh, pretty loving grim.

Medics, thankfully, seem to be exclusively a volunteer corps.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Calax posted:

On the other hand, we see on the bridge of UED ships that Du Gaulle and Stukov are in finery with cigars and liquor.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
UED are a bunch of fancy boys though. They probably got olympic swimming pools on those battlecruisers, and a steward for the officer's mess.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
well yeah but Du Gaulle and Stukov don't have to go for that performative space badass poo poo, they're actual experienced commanders

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

when there's a red alert they slide down a big chute to get their armor suits & armored cigars

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JackSplater posted:

A gauss rifle theoretically shouldn't have any casings at all, but apparently at some point they canonically made the terran gauss rifles 'gauss-assisted'. Which seems kinda dumb.

spent casings hitting the ground are cool

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

aniviron posted:

Technically, Warfield doesn't have a body!

The Starcraft Wiki posted:

Due to Warfield always being in a CMC Powered Combat Suit, Blizzard artists only designed Warfield from the neck-up.

Also Warfield's armor used to be... different.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kith posted:

Also Warfield's armor used to be... different.

Now that I can respect!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That feels a little too 40k. I'm glad they toned it down.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

That feels a little too 40k. I'm glad they toned it down.

I'll be honest, until I image searched it, I thought it was 40k posted as a joke

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The execution is gaudy, sure, but I like that it's a take on a real thing - there are definitely countries that have a special blinged-out version of their normal fatigues for the generals to wear, and normal marine armor with gold ornamentation on it is a good take on that.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That style returns with the Mengsk Co-Op Commander, whose Elite Units are blinged out in a similar manner.

Pretty much all of them look ugly as sin.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Perfectly in character, then.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Nostalgamus posted:

Considering that Warfield is a replacement for Duke, a substitute, this is not surprising at all.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

well yeah but Du Gaulle and Stukov don't have to go for that performative space badass poo poo, they're actual experienced commanders

Didn’t stop Stukov from personally going into the field and getting killed by Duran, though.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
He was in charge of the Psi Disrupter (yes this is how they spelled it, I checked), right? It makes sense to have someone of higher rank in direct command of something as important as that. Plus he was a ghost, and if I remember right the disrupter was built based on the Psi Emitter, so it'd theoretically need a ghost to activate it / run it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Regalingualius posted:

Didn’t stop Stukov from personally going into the field and getting killed by Duran, though.

Did he personally go into the field? I thought he was in some kind of fortified bunker with the psi-whatever, and got zerg rushed because Duran had sabotaged its defenses.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He gpt tasked with destroying the zerg disrupter dongle. Instead he goes awol and rebuilds it. Duran notices it, calls him out to the head UED guy and uses the situation as an excuse to murk stukov. Stukov then uses his dying words to warn dugall stukov is infested

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

FoolyCharged posted:

He gpt tasked with destroying the zerg disrupter dongle. Instead he goes awol and rebuilds it. Duran notices it, calls him out to the head UED guy and uses the situation as an excuse to murk stukov. Stukov then uses his dying words to warn dugall stukov is infested

He didn't even get tasked. IIRC, the end of that mission is that Duran is getting ready to plant charges to destroy the Disrupter, which he told the UED about, when a group of ghosts under the command of Stukov show up to 'take over' the deconstruction. Much later, when Duran pulls a 'oh gee I can't establish contact and I've conveniently withdrawn my forces to make sure that a giant chaotic wave of zerg creates a distraction for Mengsk to escape', Stukov goes awol back to the Psi Disrupter that he never destroyed and Duran uses that to convince DuGalle that Stukov is a traitor. The next mission is you in the psi disrupter facility chasing down Stukov before Duran betrays you and tries to set the Psi Disrupter to self destruct, which you stop, and this allows the UED to make Planetfall on Char to capture the nascent Overmind.

I like it because it introduces a little ambiguity at the time: Stukov taking over seems more sinister, he might have ulterior motives or maybe he just doesn't like Duran, rather than 'Duran is obviously betraying you.'

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kerrigan, would you still love me if I burned all your worms?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

gently caress yes

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Nice. I played the air mission so I'm happy to see this one.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Kerrigan, would you still love me if I burned all your worms?

To everyone asking what happened to the worms.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

:toot:

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Congratulations!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

aniviron posted:

The execution is gaudy, sure, but I like that it's a take on a real thing - there are definitely countries that have a special blinged-out version of their normal fatigues for the generals to wear, and normal marine armor with gold ornamentation on it is a good take on that.

Warfield's camo armor looks like the Killteam Marauders in Great Train Robbery, maybe they originally considered some kind of "Dominion elite" armor design that never really got fleshed out beyond this.

Kith posted:

Fun Fact: The Killteam Marauders in this mission use a special texture for no apparent reason! There's also a Medic version, but I can never remember if it gets used or not.

Either way, neither of them appear outside of this mission.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Tenebrais posted:

Warfield gets the cushy armour, with padding and lumbar support and a septic tank that doesn't leak the smell. If he takes it off someone else will nab it

Gotta admit, in retrospect this would at least help explain why nobody gives Tychus the stink eye for being armored all the time. Raynor at least can keep his armor without constantly wearing it because nobody wants to be mistaken for the Dominion's Most Wanted fugitive.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Didn't Matt give him poo poo (in like one cutscene at the start)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Char 2: Belly of the Beast

Video: Belly of the Beast

Time for some good old fashioned spelunking.

Negative, Commander. The intervening rock layers prevent accurate detection of zerg bio-signatures. Caution is advised.

I'd rather bring a smaller, more experienced crew down there than a whole regiment.

This is a nod to Queen of Blades, where Kerrigan's chrysalis was retconned into being deep under Char rather than hanging out in the open and Jim led a team down there to try and find her.

during the prophecy bullshit posted:

This isn't a one-off either, the bit with Tassadar's ghost that showed Kerrigan's hatching also took place in a cavern.

Oh hey, Stetmann finally gets to do something!

For this mission I'm given Jim, Tychus, Swann, and Stetmann as hero units.

Jim's kept that big rifle from the cinematic, and comes with a passive Sensor Tower effect.

Although the funny thing is, they didn't change Jim's animations to fit the new weapon. So if you look closely you can see him take one shot with the commando rifle, but he's still showing the recoil of the full-auto gauss rifle.

Tychus has his minigun from Engine of Destruction, and is pretty much tailor made to mulch Zerglings.

Swann is a stronger Marauder, albeit one without Concussive Shells.

And Stetmann is a super Medic with a passive that ensures he'll go into every fight with full energy.

You may also notice that there's no 'Hero must survive' in the objectives. If any of them die, they'll instead just fall over and get back up if you can keep any allied unit near them for a few moments. I only lose if everyone is down at the same time.

Since the other hero missions (Zeratul, Tosh/Nova, Odin sorta) are technically optional, they do a quick tutorial for everyone's active ability to give you time to get used to hero micro.

Jim's Penetrator Round is a gently caress Everyone In This General Direction button.

Tychus gets a simple AoE.

A one-two combo of their abilities really puts on the hurt.

And Swann's ability throws down a timed life turret to soak damage for me.

Betty has a sizable amount of health, but only deals 14 damage vs the 16 (+4) of the Perdition Turret, and attacks half as often.

Incoming transmission.

I read you, General. Go ahead.

Some of my men are nearby. They're pinned down. Help 'em out an' they'll join you.

And there are those units Warfield mentioned. They aren't mandatory, the gang here is good enough to handle the mission on their own, but more firepower never hurts.

Yes - well. What can I say?

The Medic here is a bit of a double-edged sword. While it does mean two people can be healed in combat, a unit can only be healed by a single Medic at a time. If someone is taking heavy damage and the regular Medic is already on them, Stetmann can't step in with his super heal unless I manually pull the Medic away.

Swann, if I didn't know better, I'd say you're scared!

Yellow. I knew it.

It ain't that. Just... weapons, tools, they make sense to me. Caves and zerg, just ain't my cup of tea.

Well. I'm scared.

The zerg go for a burrow ambush here.

There's a whole bit here where these Nydus Worms spew out a limitless number of Broodlings, forcing you to inch your way forward so you can take down the Worms.

One problem:

Nydus Worms have 200 HP.

You got it, cowboy.

I have to do a quick defense section for each charge, which has 1000 HP. The first one is super easy, just slap down Betty near the next attack wave whenever it comes off cooldown and use Jim/Tychus to burst down any Nydus Worms that pop up.

So let's just jump ahead.

The second section of the map is All Infested, All The Time.

Did Kerrigan grab random folks from the worlds she's invaded and drag them here to be cannon fodder, or did Blizzard forget to change the name, you decide!

...oh that is a lot of red.

Despite the huge numbers, they aren't an issue. Between Jim, Tychus, and Betty I have AoE for days.

Thanks for the advice, son. Now shut up.

I'm gonna guess that last part was 'rescue 'em'.

Hell, and I thought we wuz gonna play poker with 'em.

And there's another batch to rescue.

There are more Worms spewing Broodlings to threaten the Firebats, but that's their best possible matchup so they aren't in any danger.

Ah worms. Right.

Also there was an ambush that normally spawns behind you, but by sheer chance my last Betty was placed right where they spawned and all that was left was a single Zergling and Aberration.

The entire reason I bought that Firebat upgrade earlier was to make these guys just a bit better.

The moment these Infested aggro on me I can hear the telltale sounds of Nydus Worms bursting up.

Those Worms are spawning an endless stream of Infested. I have to slowly push up to them to take them down, using abilities to punch holes in their lines so I can cross more distance.

And more guys will pop in from behind to pincer me.

I like this segment a lot! It's a brutal slog as you wade through a literal sea of bodies!

And now the second charge.

I know all about 'em. Put a bullet in 'em, they die.

Well, that's not exactly -

Shut it you two.

Second verse, same as the first.

This one at least has some interesting bits.

By which I mean they send multiple Ultralisks at you in the final 30 seconds.

No...I'm picking up something...but it's stationary. Eggs or larva maybe?

The final area is stuffed with eggs that'll hatch after a few seconds, but I can kill a few early to cut down on how many enemies are trying to eat my face. Some have infested, others have regular zerg.

And one final squad to grab.

But once I get close, an Omegalisk spawns in.

It'll focus entirely on breaking through some debris to reach those Marines, and with 60 damage a hit it will kill them if it can get through.

It gets one hit away from making it.

You ain't safe yet.

And now for the final charge.

All set, cowboy. When this thing goes off we need to be a long way from here.

Zerg noises.

What the hell is that?

More zerg noises

Instead of a timer, I have to kill a boss while defending the last charge.

The Queen will focus on popping eggs in one third of the arena before coming to attack. I sent out the normal units to clear out the other two areas before she can get there.

After a while, she'll burrow.

Before popping up somewhere else.

At some point, I hosed up my follow commands and sent Stetmann to tag along with a Medic, leaving the gang with no healing.

It takes me a while to figure out where he went.

But a combination of letting the Queen whack the charge for a bit and Betty keeping aggro lets me get everyone back up.

She dives down again.

Before going for the third clutch of eggs.

One final dive at critical health.

And she pops up right next to the charge.

Only now she uses shockwaves that stun all my units, while steadily popping any eggs that might be left.

But she's so close to death that I just ignore the adds and rush her down.

Shut up, Stetmann.

And a quick escape sequence to cap things off.

The lava is actually slowly rising for this entire bit.

Belly of the Beast is a really fun mission.

Having to juggle multiple heroes is a neat challenge not often used in Starcraft, and the massive hordes of enemies really sell just how much of a nightmare it is to fight the zerg.

Wow. We sure killed a lot of them. I bet they're really scared of us now. Of you.

And that's it for Stetmann's relevency to the plot. He was annoying, then he dropped a casual Star Trek reference. The end.

Bam-Ba-Lan - Kill 100 enemy units with Flaming Bettys in the "Belly of the Beast" mission on Normal difficulty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 6, 2024