Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Bodyholes posted:

On topic for the thread Dems got flattened in Louisiana. Black voters stayed home.

Anyone know what the deal is? Did polls predict this?

You drove me to look this story up.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/11/1212055152/louisiana-democrats-analyze-big-defeat-in-gubernatorial-race

quote:

"In Orleans Parish, there was a noticeable absence of Democratic party mobilization, and turnout among key demographic groups was relatively low," said Brian Brox, a professor of political science at Tulane University.

Voter turnout in Orleans parish was 27.3% — down by more than 11% from the 2019 gubernatorial primary. Fewer Orleans residents voted for a Democrat this year than when they supported Edwards in 2019.

In addition to what he saw as a lack of mobilization, Brox said another factor is that Louisiana's gubernatorial election happens in an off year, with no presidential or congressional elections.

"When we have odd year elections, people don't necessarily get all the motivation that comes with the more high profile national election years," he said.

Adding to that difficulty, Brox said there was a sense of inevitability in the October primary. Landry had long been the frontrunner, according to almost every poll, and he far out-fundraised the other candidates. At the end of the campaign finance reporting period just 10 days before the primary election, Landry reported having about $4.5 million on hand compared to Wilson's $700,000.

"I think many voters might've seen the writing on the wall," Brox said. "When voters sense that elections don't necessarily matter, they don't necessarily go out of their way to vote."

The dismal turnout meant Landry was able to win the governorship outright with less than 20% of all registered voters voting for him. In fact, Landry received significantly fewer votes than President Biden did in Louisiana in 2020, even though Louisianans overwhelmingly voted for Donald Trump in that election.

[...]

Bruce Reilly, the deputy director of a voting rights organization in New Orleans, said the Democratic Party is in disarray.

"I never saw any kind of plan by that party," Reilly said. "And they definitely weren't spending any money or using any kind of infrastructure."

Reilly said the Democratic Party seemed focused on races other than the governorship. The election left him questioning the party's identity in the state.

"The Democratic Party elsewhere in America is known as one of reproductive justice and women's rights and in that realm," he said. "But in Louisiana, that's not the case. And I think that is something that probably really waters down their unity."

Since the defeat, several state Democratic figures have called on the party chair, Katie Bernhardt, to resign. Bernhardt responded in a statement saying the party is "standing firm and moving full speed ahead."

She said the party is focused on increasing turnout for early voting in the general election and getting its three candidates for statewide positions elected in November. But one of those candidates for state treasurer, Democrat Dustin Granger, has also called on Bernhardt to step down, saying she has gotten in the way of progress.

Cedric Richmond, a former Louisiana state lawmaker, congressman, and current adviser to the Democratic National Party, said the state Democratic Party needs to go back to the drawing board.

"I just think the state party has to get together and decide what direction it wants to go in," he told NPR. "The one thing I'm not sure that I've seen from this state party now, or maybe even in my career, is – do we adopt a statewide Democratic platform, so people know what we stand for and what we're trying to do?"

In a deep red state, with only one Democrat in statewide office, that could be a difficult task. But Richmond still thinks it can be done.

"I think you get in a room, you hash it out, you talk about our values and you come up with it," he said. "We were able to do it on a national level.

Sounds like a party apparatus withered by years of regular defeats and neglect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Misunderstood posted:

Are they also friends with/do they know each other? If so, have they managed to stay on personally good terms even while waging this online war, or no?

Amusingly they probably don't know each other exists but they are the only two people I know who are posting constantly on Instagram so they always end up side by side in my stories feed.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I guess growing up it feels like I've heard the same complaints about nightly news vs newspapers, cable news networks vs nightly news, and now social media, so I'm not sure about assigning broader cultural trends to a result of media. Like it's always been a thing that fresh undergrads for whatever reason become more impassioned politically.

Which isn't to say that media doesn't have an impact, but just like Trump being president, I'm not sure if we can squarely place that entirely on Twitter or what have you. My pet theory is that some part of it is people feeling more isolated inter-personally and driven to find a tribe identity which causes more intense polarization.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WarpedLichen posted:

I guess growing up it feels like I've heard the same complaints about nightly news vs newspapers, cable news networks vs nightly news, and now social media, so I'm not sure about assigning broader cultural trends to a result of media. Like it's always been a thing that fresh undergrads for whatever reason become more impassioned politically.

Which isn't to say that media doesn't have an impact, but just like Trump being president, I'm not sure if we can squarely place that entirely on Twitter or what have you. My pet theory is that some part of it is people feeling more isolated inter-personally and driven to find a tribe identity which causes more intense polarization.

that wouldnt shock me. I wouldnt be shocked is if part of it is because people use discord groups now as friend hangouts and so you get alot of self selecting stuff and you end up getting smaller and smaller pools. I know alot of discords ban politics or make it seperate parts of the group so you dont get insane fights or blow outs. Most of the groups i am in are mostly chill still.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Outside of here and like, two other pretty private spaces, i just don't mention or engage on the subject because it's not just polarization, its mind-obliterating fanatical stupidity, and i truly don't have the mental fortitude for it anymore.

Friday or so some friend of the family called me over to look at their phone going "look, look what they do! Someone must stop them" and i shuffle my dumb rear end over to stare at it while they hold it in front of my face and it was a tiktok video about israel kidnapping palestinean children to harvest their skin and i got legitimately heated about telling this guy: don't you dare show me this dim poo poo you can't even fact check and you loving know it, i didn't consent to come have you come flash me with conspiracy elders of zion poo poo.

And everything immediately went off, like my even saying this autotranslated into that i was therefore part of team b. so in five minutes someone else is happy to share that they're pro israel bombing Gaza into paste, like I'm going back him up on it

I got an actual headache. Didn't even take a position and people already got me 2 tylenol into this

"I can't do this to myself so I'm a stay out of this forever" is really becoming a huge way that subjects like this become disengaged or shunned by huge numbers of people, which totally feeds back to questions about complicity or silence in the face of evil

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

WarpedLichen posted:

Well, you could look at it as the same effect each time, and it's the same one as in the sixteenth century - massively more amounts of information is suddenly available, and people are more aware because of it. Radio and TV were huge and cataclysmic, and the internet probably dwarfs both of them. Like, yeah, it was a concern that voters cared about dumb things and voted for dumb reasons in 1980, dumb enough to elect a racist, vapid figurehead of a far right movement, and TV and film were central to that because they created the image Reagan was cast for. But it wasn't resulting in naked charlatans like Donald Trump being President. It wasn't resulting in a total collapse of trust in institutions. So while the issue of TMI loving up society is not a new one, and is in a sort of constant throughout the last half millennium, I think we are in kind of uncharted territory right now.

The particular wrinkle with the current era is the type of information bubble someone can shrink themselves down to if they so prefer, and still find a thriving community of people who they are in broad agreement with, even if what they think is insane and stupid. (This isn't even something most people do consciously but the current format of the internet almost inevitably makes it happen.) With radio and TV the concern was too much consensus, too much centralized social control, too much homogenization. We are now very much dealing with the opposite issue, where people are on the verge of disagreeing on the color of the sky.

Paradoxically, though, this is not leading to more independent thought. It's just making it easier for people to find the thought leaders they follow to be more individually tailored to their cultural tastes. A lot of people, it turns out, have really really bad preferences about who those leaders are! And since people are in strong agreement with those thought leaders, they are actually able to be influenced by them in a far more profound way than CBS News was ever able to entrench a capitalist liberal worldview or whatever.

It's just that today, the influence is coming from a million different directions, so we have a situation where the rear end in a top hat party can't even agree on which rear end in a top hat should get to poo poo on everybody, because one of them likes Bongino and one of them likes Shapiro or whatever the gently caress. And these to-the-death disagreements are among the very narrow subset of the population (40+, white, male, rear end in a top hat) that ends up among the Republican caucus, so just think of that blown up society-wide. (It's like everybody is a leftist! :v:)

People are becoming more AWARE, just like after the press or radio or TV, but they're becoming aware of a lot of different things and a lot of different versions of things at the same time.

tl;dr I dunno man the internet's a pretty big deal

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 20, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Internet definitely facilitates arguing and fighting because, well, it's a mass communication medium so it quite literally exists to facilitate communication. I'm not sure if we can say that something has changed in platforms used or social media trends have sharpened division, though, because that may be eliding the possibility things are more heated because things in the Middle East are way more serious than any previous incident while the Internet was widely available. October 7th was a tremendously destructive event that has clearly been traumatizing as gently caress to many Jews worldwide, and the IDF response is likewise far greater in scope than any previous actions. As horrible as eg Cast Lead was it lasted three weeks, displaced 50,000 people, and killed around 1100 to 1400. The current war is literally a full order of magnitude worse and there are no signs Israel is slowing down.

Honestly from the article zoux posted it doesn't even seem that the disagreements are coming from seeing much different information (There is some, but it reads like things being brought up to support existing positions), it's that there are vastly different understandings of why various incidents have happened, and what it means to express any given opinion or raise any particular incident. Al-Shifa? Well, hostages. Music festival? Well, airstrikes on refugees. And just bringing things up is taken as proof of a fanatical apologia for one side or another, even though you could absolutely support one side as a whole but decry certain things it does as immoral or just counterproductive.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ms Adequate posted:

The Internet definitely facilitates arguing and fighting because, well, it's a mass communication medium so it quite literally exists to facilitate communication. I'm not sure if we can say that something has changed in platforms used or social media trends have sharpened division, though, because that may be eliding the possibility things are more heated because things in the Middle East are way more serious than any previous incident while the Internet was widely available.
Yeah, fighting is pretty natural. And you can see that a lot of these internet debates are clearly driven by, well, a desire to fight, more than actual passion about a given issue.

I think what might be the novelty is actually the era of relatively low disagreement we're coming out of. When a small, and then increasingly smaller number of companies (and people) were setting the tone for gigantic swathes of the media landscape, people tended to agree on a lot of poo poo. (For example, "racism is bad" was able to sink in really, really well in the 70s-90s, even if it turned out a lot of people were just faking it. And even if it turned out most people just reacted by changing their definition of what racism was rather than changing their views...) But before that you'd have two hundred penny press newspapers in a city all putting forward their own slant of varying degrees of crackpottery.

It's possible that we could make social adaptations to the new reality of how we tell other people to go gently caress themselves, or the pendulum could swing back towards a monoculture (hard to imagine right now, but I dunno poo poo happens.)

People have always argued the same amount, and with about the same hostility, it's just that a lot more of it used to be about sports. Nowadays all anybody really cares about in sports is beating the spread.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 21, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Incidentally, the first story in that article is from a mom who is friends with her daughter's currently-in-college friends (?) and then called one of them on the phone to confront them about social media posts (???) which is the most absolutely insane poo poo I've ever heard of.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kchama posted:

That's a poll from 2003, not 2023. Don't you see how that might be a touch outdated and misleading?

No? I specifically left the date in so posters wouldn’t be confused. Apologies if you were misled.

I may have my quibbles with some other posters here, but I don’t doubt that they will see the 49% figure for terrorism and the 46% figure for Iraq and recognize that this is not a recent poll ;)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Top G posted:

No? I specifically left the date in so posters wouldn’t be confused. Apologies if you were misled.

I may have my quibbles with some other posters here, but I don’t doubt that they will see the 49% figure for terrorism and the 46% figure for Iraq and recognize that this is not a recent poll ;)

The point was that a poll for 2003 is worthless for saying what will matter for 2024. Unsurprisingly, the Iraq War starting in 2003 suddenly made people care about foreign policy for a period of time.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 21, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kchama posted:

The point was that a poll for 2003 is worthless for saying what will matter for 2024. Unsurprisingly, the Iraq War starting in 2003 suddenly made people care about foreign policy for a period of time.

That's true, but they were responding to the "never is" part of "Israel-Palestine is not going to be a major issue in the 2024 election. Foreign policy never is."

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

That's true, but they were responding to the "never is" part of "Israel-Palestine is not going to be a major issue in the 2024 election. Foreign policy never is."

That poll didn't even answer it for 2004 though. In the actual exit polls for the 2004 election, Terrorism + Iraq together only accounted for 34% of people's 'biggest issue', less than Terrorism alone accounts for in the poll he posted. Moral Values and Economy were the big ones in the actual 2004 election.

Taking a single poll conducted over a year before the election turns out to not be very good at predicting what will be the major issue in the actual election.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 21, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Eric Cantonese posted:

You drove me to look this story up.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/11/1212055152/louisiana-democrats-analyze-big-defeat-in-gubernatorial-race

Sounds like a party apparatus withered by years of regular defeats and neglect.

Yeah even as somebody who went out of my way to absentee vote- the Louisiana dems are basically the same as the bigger and famouser fuckup dems like in Texas and Florida. They are out of touch, give no fucks, and aren't even trying. I mainly care about voting in that a blue city in a red state is better than full red, so downballot shitlibs feel worth it even though I'm not excited.

The republican majority in all three is real, but the state dems need to realize how many people they are losing by being known loser writeoffs who lose half their potential votes by sucking so hard that people don't bother.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Foreign policy may not be a "major" issue in 2024 but 2020 was decided by 70k votes across three states, and 2016 was iirc 140k votes across three states. Marginal issues can matter a whole lot in close races!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

zoux posted:

Incidentally, the first story in that article is from a mom who is friends with her daughter's currently-in-college friends (?) and then called one of them on the phone to confront them about social media posts (???) which is the most absolutely insane poo poo I've ever heard of.

Several incidents with my own family in a row (none of which were this mortifying, but a few came close) led me to decide that I was going to separate my social media presence entirely from family, and I informed them very respectfully of this fact.

Things absolutely erupted after that, it became a huge deal beyond anything I could have ever predicted. It was my first look into social media as a generationally toxified environment, ahead of the curve.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
me and my family and friends still just talk by phone or text. have no intention of joining any social media outside this here

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So the Times today is running (as news) not as opinion (which is (edit to is) pretty notable) basically the same discussion that was here yesterday re fascism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/20/us/politics/trump-rhetoric-fascism.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

This part really stuck out to me:

“He has insinuated that the nation’s top military general should be executed and called for the “termination” of parts of the Constitution. If he wins back the White House, he has said, he would have “no choice” but to imprison political opponents.”

They source each assertion in the link.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 21, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Face to face is always better. The internet is an amazing resource if you care about informing yourself, but it has also worked to funneling us into the same old bullshit.

Two things about face to face- you can see somebody basically regurgitate what amounts to a meme, and rhetorically pull their pants down, and they know it. It's not the rule but I swear it happens, you know it when you see it. Shame, remorse, growth. Not that we don't all make mistakes, and I'm familiar with the quote (sarytr?). Such effect seems much rarer on the internet though.

Which brings me to my second point.

You can be punched in the face in real life. A reliable metric of judging whether something is internet brained. Discourse happens much differently following that reality, for good or ill.

And a topical point regarding morality of our society or international issues at large. What's allowed is decided by who's got the force, while we act above such things.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just bought this sign because of what we’re discussing here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/599485034/thank-you-for-not-discussing-the-outside

Gonna display it prominently at Christmas with the family and then hang it next to my front door after.

What I think about just about any given topic means exactly gently caress-all.
which is why I post in D&D

BRJurgis posted:

(sarytr?)

Lmao someone please show me the philosopher as the mythical creature

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Online also sets a hard expectation for immediate response and engagement with whatever is going on, so you’re already primed to fire a hot take as fast as possible. Teenagers I work with (high school + college) tell me part of what makes the social media experience so miserable for people in high school is the expectation that you will post to make your position clear and that not posting within a certain window signals that you’re choosing not to care about whatever is going on, all of which affects friendships and relationships about as seriously as one’s actions when you’re socializing in person. It sounds absolutely wretched.

the saddest part is that this kinda poo poo isn't even new. for me it was myspace in middle school, facebook in highschool. hell, i've seen promising relationships vaporize because of a private profile or lack of a status "confirming" that someone was dating. social media has always been ridiculously toxic because everything about it is engineered to create bubbles of information that seem all-encompassing, which then cause people to make hostile assumptions if others aren't engaged on the same level.

in short, social media is this tweet writ large:

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1137068315229208578?s=20

Kith fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 21, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

In other news it is now several years later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/18/opinion/pandemic-school-learning-loss.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

“The evidence is now in, and it is startling. The school closures that took 50 million children out of classrooms at the start of the pandemic may prove to be the most damaging disruption in the history of American education.”

Remote was extremely terrible for kids. Turns out not just for elementary kids, as was my hypothesis. The high school chronic absenteeism rates are crazy. Worse in poor areas but still stunningly bad in rich areas.

“More than a quarter of students were chronically absent in the 2021-22 school year”

“The problem is pronounced in poorer districts like Oakland, Calif., where the chronic absenteeism rate exceeded 61 percent. But as the policy analyst Tim Daly wrote recently, absenteeism is rampant in wealthy schools, too. Consider New Trier Township High School in Illinois, a revered and highly competitive school that serves some of the country’s most affluent communities. Last spring, The Chicago Tribune reported that New Trier’s rate of chronic absenteeism got worse by class, reaching nearly 38 percent among its seniors.”

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm not at all surprised by those findings. I was in grad school from 2021-23 and sometimes we had to do virtual. I had a hard time paying attention on zoom for hours of classes. Can't imagine having to learn that way full time, for months or a year plus.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/18/opinion/pandemic-school-learning-loss.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

“The evidence is now in, and it is startling. The school closures that took 50 million children out of classrooms at the start of the pandemic may prove to be the most damaging disruption in the history of American education.”

Remote was extremely terrible for kids. Turns out not just for elementary kids, as was my hypothesis. The high school chronic absenteeism rates are crazy. Worse in poor areas but still stunningly bad in rich areas.

“More than a quarter of students were chronically absent in the 2021-22 school year”

“The problem is pronounced in poorer districts like Oakland, Calif., where the chronic absenteeism rate exceeded 61 percent. But as the policy analyst Tim Daly wrote recently, absenteeism is rampant in wealthy schools, too. Consider New Trier Township High School in Illinois, a revered and highly competitive school that serves some of the country’s most affluent communities. Last spring, The Chicago Tribune reported that New Trier’s rate of chronic absenteeism got worse by class, reaching nearly 38 percent among its seniors.”

I'm skeptical that a piece couched in the language of an arms race is much more than an open call for more of the emergency funding that produced these startlingly negative outcomes in the first place. I'm made more skeptical by hiding threats like "children are at risk of becoming impossible to educate" in the text. A truancy explosion in all income cohorts is a broken educational system, not something in need of a troop surge of elite educational operators to save the students who can still be saved.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Name Change posted:

the emergency funding that produced these startlingly negative outcomes in the first place.

That’s a rather extraordinary claim. You uh got any evidence that increased funding was causal instead of the year to year and a half remote?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s a rather extraordinary claim. You uh got any evidence that increased funding was causal instead of the year to year and a half remote?

I suspect it is based around the idea that the money was only targeted at certain areas as opposed to actual teachers.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
An AP article recently followed one of those cases in LAUSD, and as you probably guessed it was a kid struggling with helping provide for his family who was on the edge of homelessness. I don't blame remote learning completely, I blame the economic circumstances that have so many families on the brink and the kids who don't have the resources or mental energy to keep it together.

https://apnews.com/article/housing-homeless-students-california-4187c5ad288be91683550d085f8d5035

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

A couple of my best friends have two young kids (7 and 5) and they and their other parent friends seem pretty much united in the belief that some serious consequences are and will result from the Great Lockdown. To be clear they are a sane couple who think it had to be done and should have been done hard enough to extirpate the rona, and discuss it because they are interested in understanding the harm and how it might be repaired and overcome. But they are certain that there have been major effects, less in educational attainment per se and more in terms of general development, social understandings, things like that.

Entertaining aside, the younger child literally did the "He thought school was only for one day! He mad!" meme, she declared after the first week that school had been kind of fun but she wouldn't be going back. There was great confusion and then despair when informed it didn't work like that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

America spent billions to make sure kids had some flavor of Zoom school (which they often didn't or couldn't attend, or weren't ultimately offered), while basic problems like food insecurity skyrocketed. The answer was never to put kids through the meatgrinder at all costs and insist school never stop (as it inevitably did), it was to stop and meaningfully address economic insecurity among families.

Americans ultimately got a small amount of individual financial aid.

Weak non-ideas like halo dropping The Best Educators onto students don't hold up against sustained economic programs.

People who went through prolonged unemployment or had their educations disrupted by COVID should have something akin to a G.I. bill in their hands. That was achievable. Having a satisfactory school year was not.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
My personal belief is:

A) “lockdowns”/remote learning were a major disruption to the education of most students

B) they were the least-bad option available to us

Although I confess this is merely based on a hunch.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You’ve shared some of the struggles you’ve had w remote learning. Do you think there would have been an alternative approach that would have been viable in the USA?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Top G posted:

My personal belief is:

A) “lockdowns”/remote learning were a major disruption to the education of most students

B) they were the least-bad option available to us

Yup

Name Change posted:

I'm skeptical that a piece couched in the language of an arms race is much more than an open call for more of the emergency funding that produced these startlingly negative outcomes in the first place. I'm made more skeptical by hiding threats like "children are at risk of becoming impossible to educate" in the text. A truancy explosion in all income cohorts is a broken educational system, not something in need of a troop surge of elite educational operators to save the students who can still be saved.

The thing to look for when reading about problems in the public the education system is generally "is this article pushing for fixes, or is it pushing for privatization?"

Because there is an absolutely massive lobbying effort aimed at discrediting public schools so that they can be replaced with private for profit and religious-based systems. It's one of the few unachieved policy goals that the Christian right and the business right are in total agreement on, and most attacks on public education these days are in whole or in part an attempt to set up a one two punch of "but privatization would solve this problem we caused."

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 21, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm kind of on the boat that remote learning probably wasn't good for most kids but i don't know if there was a decent alternative as well. I think some people really do need the structure, especially young children, and they didn't get it.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
It worked out ok for my oldest and actually was excellent for my youngest, but they had huge advantages. Both my ex wife and I worked from home in jobs that gave us the ability to monitor them, they were already great students and we lived in a huge house with lots of room for studying. I can see how it would be devastating for people without those advantages.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Panzeh posted:

I'm kind of on the boat that remote learning probably wasn't good for most kids but i don't know if there was a decent alternative as well. I think some people really do need the structure, especially young children, and they didn't get it.

The only alternatives I can think of would’ve required a massive amount of money. Like either paying one parent to quit their job so they could become a full-time home schooler with the help of a couple of zoom classes from their normal teacher. Or find tens of thousands of temporary educators and putting kids in like 6 person pods would’ve worked too, but how do you find all those people, and then where do you create all these temporary classrooms?

Really the first option was probably realistic, but would mean funneling like $50k a year to every family, which could be done, but it definitely wasn’t going to happen.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah, you really don't gotta think that the US public school system is excellent or disagree with remote learning during the height of the pandemic to notice that it hosed up a lot of kids' growth. Spend about two minutes around a loving kid who wasn't a dedicated dork to school and you'll notice.

Goons gonna goon about Material Conditions Only Hail Marx but even with the ideal scenario of dedicated kid and dedicated homeschool parent, rich kids still suffered from the lack of school socialization and poor kids just ate it harder. It was bad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jesus III posted:

It worked out ok for my oldest and actually was excellent for my youngest, but they had huge advantages. Both my ex wife and I worked from home in jobs that gave us the ability to monitor them, they were already great students and we lived in a huge house with lots of room for studying. I can see how it would be devastating for people without those advantages.

Checkout this guy with the huge house and studious kids

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

The only alternatives I can think of would’ve required a massive amount of money. Like either paying one parent to quit their job so they could become a full-time home schooler with the help of a couple of zoom classes from their normal teacher. Or find tens of thousands of temporary educators and putting kids in like 6 person pods would’ve worked too, but how do you find all those people, and then where do you create all these temporary classrooms?

Really the first option was probably realistic, but would mean funneling like $50k a year to every family, which could be done, but it definitely wasn’t going to happen.
In addition to paying every family $50k, it would also mean taking those people away from their normal jobs. I don't know what percentage of the population has school aged children but it could be like 15%-20% of the workforce? That would be a serious problem.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Things that I wish would happen but won't: legislators using this accidental test case of mass homeschooling to realize there should be regulations on homeschooling.

Like, it was the lesser evil as the kids were vastly less likely to die if they didn't attend in-person schooling. It was absoutely necessary. The "medicine" just has side effects.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Twincityhacker posted:

Things that I wish would happen but won't: legislators using this accidental test case of mass homeschooling to realize there should be regulations on homeschooling.

Yeah, this is the lesson legislators aren't wanting to learn, because all the lobbying is pushing in the other direction. "Lack of public school in person hurts kids! So let's push for more homeschooling!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair there's a pretty big difference between remote schooling and homeschooling.

The ideal would've been a shorter lockdown that actually got full participation and stopped the spread, but y'know. "Essential workers" and all that.