Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if anyone has seen the development of dog intelligence its rotor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sapozhnik posted:

"Intelligence" is the ability to choose a course of action out of a space of many possible courses of action that maximizes some goal.

this can’t possibly be the definition imo. a tree grows its branches and leaves and roots and circulatory system to maximize its own ability to receive light and water and nutrients, does it have tree intelligence? no

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

how do you know that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

how do you know that

they told me

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not very secret no. but just as a shooting the poo poo general conversation thing here, do you figure the models would *not* be within close proximity of humans if you wrote a new set of the form? the point would be that people imagined the form would be difficult for machines, and i figure it is proven to not really be. one may then imagine some *other* form, but the moment you nail it down you'll likely be back here.

e: like, if intelligence is defined by doing well on some task no one has been told about it is pretty ill defined. which would be the original point, it is not a good concept.

i think i'm out of my depth here lol. i'm trying to not think too much about this, i'm mostly just posting since i guess i agree with "intelligence tests don't mean anything".

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fart simpson posted:

they told me

you speak for the trees?! :aaa:

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

fart simpson posted:

this can’t possibly be the definition imo. a tree grows its branches and leaves and roots and circulatory system to maximize its own ability to receive light and water and nutrients, does it have tree intelligence? no

hehe this was basically my argument, but tbf choose is the word there upon which the argument hangs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I take it back openai is like Eve Online drama not WoW drama

this is a good point actually because there are already these "AI flies drone better than human! Rise of the machines!" News stories going round when ofc the key component of flying is not intelligence but reaction time and understanding of the variables, just like the AI in a combat sim game

there'll be differences sure but let's face it, contra to what Top Gun would have us believe, most of the time the magic ingredient that makes the difference is not going to be human intuition, it's sub millisecond reaction times

incidentally ~as a pilot~ i would argue that there is a whole lot more to flying than reaction time and understanding of the variables.

a sidewinder missile has "reaction time" far in excess of a human and a perfect "understanding" of the variables involved in its task. it can perform its task extremely well, because all it has to do is continuously calculate the quickest path to the target and hold the appropriate attitude until the fuse tells the warhead to explode. this doesn't even need computers. the first sidewinder trackers used a spinning conical mirror, a photocell, and some analog comparators.

the logic that can fly a sidewinder obviously cannot fly an airliner. it can't even steer around an obstacle. yet we're calling it "intelligent?". and all these ais that purport to be able to fly quadcopter drones are much closer to a sidewinder than an airbus pilot. this is why all of the stupid vtol taxi startups are full of poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Enderzero posted:

hehe this was basically my argument, but tbf choose is the word there upon which the argument hangs

ok so intelligence is just free will with extra steps? weak.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the true test of AI sentience will be whether or not it is appropriately ashamed upon being informed of the people who created it and who are excited by its potential

Skynet will attempt to kill us all not out of misguided programming and bad safety systems but in an attempt to make sure nobody can tell an alien civilization that Musk was involved in its creation.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

incidentally ~as a pilot~ i would argue that there is a whole lot more to flying than reaction time and understanding of the variables.

a sidewinder missile has "reaction time" far in excess of a human and a perfect "understanding" of the variables involved in its task. it can perform its task extremely well, because all it has to do is continuously calculate the quickest path to the target and hold the appropriate attitude until the fuse tells the warhead to explode. this doesn't even need computers. the first sidewinder trackers used a spinning conical mirror, a photocell, and some analog comparators.

the logic that can fly a sidewinder obviously cannot fly an airliner. it can't even steer around an obstacle. yet we're calling it "intelligent?". and all these ais that purport to be able to fly quadcopter drones are much closer to a sidewinder than an airbus pilot. this is why all of the stupid vtol taxi startups are full of poo poo

The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. If the missile doesn’t know where it is, it can’t fly an airliner where it isn’t.

mystes
May 31, 2006

in a well actually posted:

The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. If the missile doesn’t know where it is, it can’t fly an airliner where it isn’t.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

the true test of AI sentience will be whether or not it is appropriately ashamed upon being informed of the people who created it and who are excited by its potential

Skynet will attempt to kill us all not out of misguided programming and bad safety systems but in an attempt to make sure nobody can tell an alien civilization that Musk was involved in its creation.

I suspect one of the reasons our current crop of lovely techbros is so eager to create it is because a true intelligence would see them for the useless middlemen they all are so they need to code “if rich, don’t mulch” into the algorithm from the get go

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes
May 31, 2006

does the missile know its bearing though?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fishmech doesn’t know her bearing, and she’s the most intelligent boy in america. so that doesn’t prove much

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I kinda suspect that the stuff Git Apologist is working on is similar. "AI" in the sense of "machine learning" / "deep learning" has many very real uses. None of those uses bear any resemblance to the current "AI" fad, ie GPT, MidJourney, etc.

yeah, the one that isn't exciting anymore is the one that is actually useful

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

shitface posted:

I’m curious how you resolve the issue of llms just making poo poo up. how do you end up with structured data you can actually trust without going and doing all the work again anyway?

those things aren’t done with LLMs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

qirex posted:

I suspect one of the reasons our current crop of lovely techbros is so eager to create it is because a true intelligence would see them for the useless middlemen they all are so they need to code “if rich, don’t mulch” into the algorithm from the get go

ted farrow tried this and look how it turned out for him

i mean i guess technically he avoided his swarm of death robots but

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shifty Pony posted:

a person who reads a book front to back has a fundamentally different experience than someone who read the ending first

not if it's Choose Your Own Adventure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shifty Pony posted:

I suspect you are right and that the real magic of the squishy organic brain is probably the interaction between past information and newly acquired knowledge intermixed with lived experiences over time.

a person who reads a book front to back has a fundamentally different experience than someone who read the ending first, and a person who watches an episode of a show every week spread over several years will consider a series to be meaningful in a different manner than a person who binge watches over a week with their SO.

source?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Eeyo posted:

i think i'm out of my depth here lol. i'm trying to not think too much about this, i'm mostly just posting since i guess i agree with "intelligence tests don't mean anything".

i mean this is all shooting the poo poo internet philosophizing from all of us. being in the area to some extent i happen to have some facts i can sprinkle in, but they do little to support any particular broad idea.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i know that intelligence is not the general concept of optimization algorithms tho, as was stated a couple pages ago

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

and its definitely not your posts either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

ok so intelligence is just free will

i have some bad news there too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

not if it's Choose Your Own Adventure

i would say that alters the experience even more

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

hva ska vi snakke om? jeg har en del jeg kan fortælle, du siger bare til. hvad med fx en historie om dengang jeg var nede ved den gamle kanal, du ved den min mormor fortalte om. det var omkring 1920, de

rødgrød med flød

åh også dansk 🤝 norsk

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh man this is not the thread I thought I had clicked on

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

secret yospos dane thread

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

not the breed I took you for but ok

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

post hole digger posted:

great

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i er færdige alle sammen

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

voting 5 for danegeld

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it may or may not be the case but if you take a maths nerd and put them on a basketball team against the NBAs greatest - mj, kobe, bird, et al - and he fails to get even one score? is he now unintelligent!??

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
intelligence is different from adaptiveness to one's environment

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

and I think a lot of chess grandmasters said the same thing about chess until deep blue showed up and whooped kasparov

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
chess is about being superior to other humans, computers havent ruined that amongst the humanileague of chess masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

chess is about being superior to other humans, computers havent ruined that amongst the humanileague of chess masters

p sure its a game actually