Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

nesamdoom posted:

I'm sorry if it was covered in hundreds of pages, but is there like a good way to do jump puzzles? I absolutely lose my poo poo on camera and controls on them. I might be better off with a chicklet keyboard on the laptop and not using a mech? I think action cam works a lot better, but it's still work to see where I'm jumping.

I'm pretty sure I suck at jump puzzles, but is there something to make them a bit less horrible?

I've toughed my way through everything but the ember bay one, of the ones I've seen.

Make sure you turn off double-tap to dodge.

I do most of my jumping just using the Forward button, using the camera to adjust my heading. Holding down the right-mouse button means that your character will move forward in the direction your camera is pointed, and it's easier to make smaller adjustments with the mouse than the keyboard.

Don't spam the jump button; be absolute with your jumps. If it's a gliding jumping puzzle just hold down jump and your glider will auto-deploy (assuming you're no longer over the ground)

Your speed matters when jumping. Jumping from a standstill will mean that your jumps will not go as far. Make sure you're running, even just for a split second, before you start your jump if you need to clear a gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
A running start also makes it easier to judge when to jump and how far. In «leapfrog» sections i usually back up to the back end of each platform for a running start to the next

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in jps elevation matters and jumping from the highest point of an uneven platform to the lowest point of the destination platform is typically the safest way to go

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

My hot JP tip is to go slowly and take the time to plan ahead where possible. Make sure your jumps are lined up, work out where your next safe spot is, and what route you're taking where there are forks, clear any enemies who might slow you down while you're trying to platform, etc etc.

Also yeah as people have said, angling the camera down further than normal is helpful, and get used to changing direction or stopping in mid air to avoid overshooting or edge around obstacles.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wuxi posted:

Are there any weapons that are unusable? Ele Focus has been the PvP off hand of choice for years (Dagger has had a comeback lately though).
with ele the problem in general is that some people at anet think because ele has access to so many weapon skills, some can be extremely poo poo or ridiculously niche, which sometimes renders entire attunements completely worthless. not as bad as unusable weapons, but arguably also worse, since you can just salvage an unusable weapon but you can't replace an unusable attunement :v:

i.e. sword/focus ele is great overall, but the only time you'd ever hit water attunement is for weave self and nothing else, because the skills on that combo are so drat anemic you'll only use them as an absolute last resort to get some health back from doing water finishers, rather than part of some kind of rotation. compare this to "normal" weapons where you can use water to restore like 30% of your hp on fairly short cooldowns before you have to even think about doing water field combos

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

gandlethorpe posted:

More than decently. Ele is one of the professions that makes good use out of every stat. And catalyst is especially great because one of its mechanics is to increase all its gear stats with a stacking multiplier buff.

I've been using this build lately that's been trashing almost everything in PvE save for the really anti-melee group bosses. It's a revisit of a build I tooled around with prior to relics that leveraged Lightning Rod and Runes of the Aristocracy (gain might stacks when applying weakness) to keep max might almost all the time. They just added a new relic (Midnight King) that fills the void of losing that rune set and then some (AoE might stacks and fury when disabling). The build link doesn't have the relic because the build editor hasn't been updated with the new batch of relics yet. I personally use berserker/diviner mix, but celestial would be just as good, sacrificing a bit of damage for a lot of survivability.

On top of D/D having no shortage of AoE, disables, and built in evades, I'm able to give myself and allies lots of offensive boons and some support, while effortlessly keeping my own stacks of Persisting Flames and Elemental Empowerment at max. Every attunement has a use, but you don't need to follow a strict rotation. Hell, you can probably button mash and have success, but figuring out effect combos/chains, like air orb + earth 3 for a daze finisher, makes it all the sweeter.

I'm able to take on large mixed mob groups quickly and comfortably. Even solo HoT hero point champs in zero defensive gear.

https://i.imgur.com/MDEto7e.mp4
Here's one with all celestial trinkets (berserker armor+weapons), still tearing through charr veterans like paper. Notice my hp hitting 22k with max stacks of EE. Full cele can probably get over 25k plus extra toughness and self heal.

https://i.imgur.com/aAJBBqx.mp4

Man elementalist looks cool as hell but also an extremely lot of buttons to remember. What is the rotation like?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The rotation is "an extremely lot of buttons to remember"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

jokes posted:

The rotation is "an extremely lot of buttons to remember"

Maybe I'm biased, but I feel like the complexity of (non-weaver) ele rotations is overblown. Granted, I do have 2.5k more hours of play time than my next played class (engie lol) and literally play piano. Still, I think it's pretty intuitive to find the rhythm in casting N important spells, swapping attunements, repeat. You're usually doing something wrong if you're left spamming autos for more than a second or two. Then it's just a matter of knowing what order things are best in, which is usually just remembering to do fields before finishers. With daggers, it's even nicer because skills have pretty low cooldowns that you're rarely caught swapping back to an attunement too early.

When I play my alts with multiple weapon sets, I tend to find myself scratching my head when all my skills are on cooldown. What do you mean I can just spam auto attacks?

Cool Dad posted:

Man elementalist looks cool as hell but also an extremely lot of buttons to remember. What is the rotation like?

I don't really have a set rotation, but the key thing, like I mentioned above, is fields before finishers. Always try to start a fight putting down a field. Aside from the orb, fire has two fields. If I have the energy, I usually open with air - otherwise, fire. The finishers are heavily on earth, with two blasts and one leap. The only other finisher is blast on water.

The second key thing is disables. Due to Lightning Rod, every disable is also a pretty potent attack. Those come from air 3 (aura transmute) and 5, as well as earth 4. Earth 3 can also be turned into a daze by using it in an air orb.

So a typical rotation for me is F3-F4-F5 -> Aorb-A3(aura)-A2-A4-A3(transmute)-A5 -> E3-E4-E5 -> (if anything survives) WGoS-W4(aura)-W3-W2 -> back to F

It's not too rigid of a rotation. Sometimes I go straight to earth from fire. If I started in air, I'll go A>E>F>W. It's actually more likely I start in air if I have the energy, as that makes it easier to put a daze on earth 3.

As you play you'll get a feel for how to chain skills together within attunements. Air has some quirky delays built into its skills, but you can use that to your advantage to spike enemies down and cut down on dead time. Air 2 and 3 have a slight delay before they hit, so you can precast one then hit air 4. If you're the right distance, it should explode by the time you get to your target. Air 3's aura can also be cast during the air 4's travel time so that you're ready to detonate it at the end.

Finally, orbs. From most to least important: fire (stacks Persisting Flames) > air (can be comboed with E3, least important boonwise) = earth (aegis on cast, AoE weakness on blast, protection) > water (blast heals, resolution)

It seems like a lot to remember, but aside from orbs, this is all mostly applicable to core ele. Theoretically, a player can start learning these things at level 1, or however soon they let you get traits.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm mainly talking about PvE. I got my backpack, I'm not going back into PvP unless something possesses me to upgrade the ascended armor set I have to legendary.

What with the split between modes, there's no excuse for ele focus to have 40+ cooldown skills that do no damage and single target wet noodle attacks.

Some weapons just are a bit more defensive focused and less usable in (group) PvE content, nothing wrong with that. Otherwise you get whats my biggest gripe with Necro, that most weapons feel kinda the same, damage + conditions/boon rip and everything is just a filler until you can enter shroud again.
Dagger/Focus/Warhorn are very different weapon sets on Elementalist and I'm happy that they are.

Truga posted:

with ele the problem in general is that some people at anet think because ele has access to so many weapon skills, some can be extremely poo poo or ridiculously niche, which sometimes renders entire attunements completely worthless. not as bad as unusable weapons, but arguably also worse, since you can just salvage an unusable weapon but you can't replace an unusable attunement :v:

i.e. sword/focus ele is great overall, but the only time you'd ever hit water attunement is for weave self and nothing else, because the skills on that combo are so drat anemic you'll only use them as an absolute last resort to get some health back from doing water finishers, rather than part of some kind of rotation. compare this to "normal" weapons where you can use water to restore like 30% of your hp on fairly short cooldowns before you have to even think about doing water field combos

I agree that Freezing Gust is bad and that there's really not a big place for water attunement unless you're playing PvP or support. Weave Self is a good mechanic to make use of all elements, as are the Circular Projectiles, but again having some variety where some weapons favour using all elements while others use the elements more situationally is imo a good choice.
I would love a weapon that switches the elements around though, where Earth is barrier focused and Fire is all about cauterizing wounds while Water is all about high damage frost spells.

In the end I feel that Elementalist is about having all the options through attunements and that means that some (or even most) of the spells are situational instead of being part of a rigid rotation, which is a good thing. Its sadly just not a playstyle that gels well with how specialized builds are in instanced PvE.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can do about 40 times as much damage as you by simply repeating 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 with a greatsword as necromancer. That all seems extremely not easy and simple.

When I play D/D elementalist, I generally just bust through all the not-water elements and hit all the cooldowns. Or I play staff and camp fire until I get bored and make everyone moist instead

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Path of fire + HoT is 10$ right now
End of dragons is 20$
Living world can only be bought with complete edition (which doesnt include the new expansion)

If im just dipping my toes into GW2, is the first package enough or id be missing out something big from not going with the complete edition?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’d absolutely just get the $10 path of fire bundle because that is a LOT of game and you get the mounts and almost all the specs. The F2P accounts have to deal with a ton of annoyances that you won’t have to deal with, and $10 is a steal for all that game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Living Seasons are fun and have a good variety of rewards. If you bought the $20 bundle you'd need to buy them when they're on sale for 680 gems or a little under $10 worth. So the $50 saves you a little under $20 in the long run.

But the $20 bundle saves you $30 if you end up not enjoying the game.

Edit: oh yeah, the $10 might the best investment if you're not sure. EoD is hitting the $15 sale price so adding it later only costs an extra $5. The game is much like FF14, the vanilla content is still heavily populated thanks to the lack of level cap increases and the rewards still being worth for someone playing for years.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 21, 2023

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

jokes posted:

I can do about 40 times as much damage as you by simply repeating 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 with a greatsword as necromancer. That all seems extremely not easy and simple.

When I play D/D elementalist, I generally just bust through all the not-water elements and hit all the cooldowns. Or I play staff and camp fire until I get bored and make everyone moist instead

Assuming perfect boons, GS only does just shy of 20k dps. So, comparable, not '40 times'.
Doing only GS also gives zero boons to yourself. Without outside support, you will do less than half of that (~8k). Celestial Ele is uniquely good at providing its own boons and healing.
Low intensity / simple rotations are dope as hell but please don't act like they're wildly superior to a well thought out and well played build.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Thanks for feedback! Imma probably go for HoT+PoF package

Id want to play a simple class that does reasonably well in PVE and WvW.

Im guessing what would work well is something like an artillery build. Something i can play at the back of a zerg and stay safe-ish while i learn the game.

Any class suggestions or any suggestion? For reference ive played a necro till level 9, thats my experience in GW2

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Ranger. Longbow has enormous range and a big aoe barrage. Then you can pick from a couple of melee weapons which have a decent mix of attack and defence. I use great sword

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Aster0ids posted:

Thanks for feedback! Imma probably go for HoT+PoF package

Id want to play a simple class that does reasonably well in PVE and WvW.

Im guessing what would work well is something like an artillery build. Something i can play at the back of a zerg and stay safe-ish while i learn the game.

Any class suggestions or any suggestion? For reference ive played a necro till level 9, thats my experience in GW2

I have good news about that lvl 9 necro

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I have good news about that lvl 9 necro

Yea read up on necro, decided to stick with it.

I just ran up on a copper node, with no gathering tools. Is there some things like that i should get done (finding a pick/unlocking a gathering prof) first before starting my climb to 80?

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
I'd just focus on getting to 80. Follow the character adventure guide in your achievements list for easy extra xp. Particularly with the hero jump bonus active at the moment (all xp +50%).

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Aster0ids posted:

Yea read up on necro, decided to stick with it.

I just ran up on a copper node, with no gathering tools. Is there some things like that i should get done (finding a pick/unlocking a gathering prof) first before starting my climb to 80?

You get pick/axe/gathering thingies as you level up as level up rewards, along with other stuff for the story rewards (including gear) so if you just roam around diong whatever looks interesting you'll get a lot of free stuff anyway, I think level 10 gets you gathering stuff & also the first story which if you do all the bits gets you a chest key.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also you can buy gathering tools from any general merchant for cheap.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wuxi posted:

In the end I feel that Elementalist is about having all the options through attunements and that means that some (or even most) of the spells are situational instead of being part of a rigid rotation, which is a good thing. Its sadly just not a playstyle that gels well with how specialized builds are in instanced PvE.

it's just sword/focus in particular while very strong also completely eschews using because it's so anemic. you're basically stuck with the signet for sustain, since most of the healing from water will come from the regeneration when you attune unless you combo into 3+ blasts

i get that not every element has to be good on every build, but ele's heal skills are kinda trash. none of them will dump the 10k heal you'd want in a pinch i guess because they expect you to use water to augment it, and then there's a weapon set where you often just can't. luckily warhorn is basically a better focus now as far as pve goes thanks to soto weapon unlocks, so it's not a real problem anymore

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Warhorn skins mostly blow though. Except Call of the Void, which is comically large, if pricey.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm gonna buy voice of metal

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Thanks for all the jump puzzle tips. I'm gonna work on the Position Rewinder this afternoon and run some tests before giving Chalice another go. So close to finishing the tokens.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I would play ele more but the keyboard dancing it requires makes my wrist hurt now in my 30s

Lol old

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Truga posted:

i'm gonna buy voice of metal

It's a funny gimmick but the model is too small, imo

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also for any new people reading this thread. If you're buying the game, do not buy it from Steam, buy it from anet instead. The only benefit Steam has is you can use your wallet/steam's payment infrastructure, and it comes with annoying restrictions like being unable to redeem codes.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I really don't get what good Steam does for it. You could already put the launcher in as a 3rd party and run it through Steam. The wallet is something, I suppose, but not worth the extra effort.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
putting it as 3rd party into steam doesn't let me download and pre-compile shaders from valve's shader cache is just about it

e: oh yeah, valve does support more payment options than anet, so if you can't get it from anet that's an option now

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also there is the $100 get EVERYTHING bundle steam has, but dunno if that's really worth it compared to just playing the game and buying seasons when they come on sale.

e: a tiny issue with expansion bundles from both steam and anet is if you buy HoT bundled with other xpacs you permanently miss out on a shared inventory slot

Syenite fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 23, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'm pretty sure HoT and PoF are only available as a bundle now and there is no way for new players to get that shared slot.

EDIT: Yeah, wiki says new players have no way to get the slot from HoT.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 23, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I have a question about PVP : I have been playing for 11 years. For 11 years, PVP has felt awful to play, because everything feels weightless. For clarity, I'll refer to sPvP as PvP from now on.

To be clear : I am not complaining about the balance, but everything that feels like it has weight in PvE - stunning any enemy, shmoving around - feels *atrocious* in PvP. I just can't put my finger on it. Am I insane for feeling that way? It just feels like someone can pop a stunbreak instantly and like woops there goes my feedback. Or I'll pop a stunbreak into going accidentally ragdolled about because well, didn't account for something I didn't see.

Obviously the game is great on audio cues, which help a lot, but like, am I god drat crazy? There is obviously a very high skill issue on my end here, as I don't play PvP regularly and obviously get matched against people that do, and I kinda feel silly whenever I pop in and stuff just Happens.

I feel the need that to add that I have played like 1200 games over the years, which compared to most, is not a lot, but I still feel like that's a decent amount of experience to have formed my opinion?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Reoxygenation posted:

I have a question about PVP : I have been playing for 11 years. For 11 years, PVP has felt awful to play, because everything feels weightless. For clarity, I'll refer to sPvP as PvP from now on.

To be clear : I am not complaining about the balance, but everything that feels like it has weight in PvE - stunning any enemy, shmoving around - feels *atrocious* in PvP. I just can't put my finger on it. Am I insane for feeling that way? It just feels like someone can pop a stunbreak instantly and like woops there goes my feedback. Or I'll pop a stunbreak into going accidentally ragdolled about because well, didn't account for something I didn't see.

Obviously the game is great on audio cues, which help a lot, but like, am I god drat crazy? There is obviously a very high skill issue on my end here, as I don't play PvP regularly and obviously get matched against people that do, and I kinda feel silly whenever I pop in and stuff just Happens.

I feel the need that to add that I have played like 1200 games over the years, which compared to most, is not a lot, but I still feel like that's a decent amount of experience to have formed my opinion?

spvp is a lot like a fighting game in that knowing matchups is incredibly important. you have to know what your opponent can do, what you can do against that build, and how that build counters you and play accordingly.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I do like the analogy, but even in fighting games I get feedback like the game pausing for a few frames or something when like a grab connects.

sPvP kind of always felt like I'm cutting through butter with a very hot knife at all time, wherein it just kinda goes through and doesn't give me something meaty to process in my brain. As I said, could be just me and that it will never click.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Reoxygenation posted:

I do like the analogy, but even in fighting games I get feedback like the game pausing for a few frames or something when like a grab connects.

sPvP kind of always felt like I'm cutting through butter with a very hot knife at all time, wherein it just kinda goes through and doesn't give me something meaty to process in my brain. As I said, could be just me and that it will never click.

I think that's kind of the nature of any MMO style PvP, at least in my experience. It just doesn't, or maybe can't, include the kind of visceral feedback that we kind of take for granted in fighting games, both in visual and sound design.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Reoxygenation posted:

Juck, I have way less PvP and I totally feel the getting just wrecked from nowhere aspect. The best I've ever done is just laying conditions on people and hoping I don't get into 3v1s. I don't mind boxing out a 2v1 and hoping I get one or backup rolls in, but yea PvP is usually easy matches or getting fully destroyed.

Saraiguma posted:

spvp is a lot like a fighting game in that knowing matchups is incredibly important. you have to know what your opponent can do, what you can do against that build, and how that build counters you and play accordingly.

This seems like a very good point. I probably should play other characters or even different builds. I don't even really know much of Necro other than my Reaper build. Weaver is kinda fun from the few I've played and just spamming off area spells, but I barely know the class more than focusing fire and water.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

If anyone is looking for a fantastic Open World build for Revenant, I highly recommend the Quick Herald build on Guildjen:

https://guildjen.com/herald-open-world-build/

It's probably the best all-around Open World build I've played. It's ridiculously resilient, provides perma-group Quickness along with lots of other boons, group healing, group condi cleanse, boon strip, CC, and really good damage for both single-target and AoE. It can be used at range, in melee, or both! I actually run it with Viper armor/weapons and Celestial trinkets because it's so tanky, and it can still solo whatever I throw at it. You can camp Mace/Axe like the guide says, but I prefer to open from range with Shortbow/Glint then swap to Mallyx with Mace/Axe. It's great solo, has lots of group utility, and it's really fun.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Any class suggestions for a good WvW that doesnt use circle AOE? Reason is i want at least one couch potato build to use a controller with. So ideally something i can sort of look the direction of the fight and start spamming. Necro is fun but alot of aoes i need to target with and not optimal with a controller. I dont know the classes yet so i cant tell and this is already my last slot (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Hakarne posted:

If anyone is looking for a fantastic Open World build for Revenant, I highly recommend the Quick Herald build on Guildjen:

I'll second this - great build.

With that said, I inevitably find myself always back to rear end stomping vindicator. Something about doing jumping jacks is very satisfying and I can't fully explain why. Revenant is such a fun class overall though.