Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Invoker is a very popular and strong 4 atm. If you're new, I highly recommend giving him a try. Just don't look up anything and go in completely blind, it'll be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ogre is my tried and true 4. Stun and slow the enemy, attack speed buff your core, and if the game goes long you can put some farm to good use.

Dumb, simple, effective.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Sab669 posted:

+1 for Enchantress. One of those heroes I don't often play but every time I do I say I need to play her more.

I have been queueing with my friend who is brand new to DotA (I only got back into it a few months ago after a 6 year hiatus) so I get some absolutely wild games where it's half people who have played a lot and half people who are brand new. In one of these games I was Enchantress and went 17-3-11 and the enemy sniper said I was cheating because he couldn't attack me. Felt good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ItohRespectArmy posted:

don't forget jakiro, he owns lanes, kills towers and lets you farm up real good
Yeah, I feel any other MOBA would stick him in the middle/dps role. You can only get supports with four AoE damage skills in DotA, and it's awesome.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like there's two simple ways to gain rank if you're not already Ancient or above and playing support. #1 Go to Stratz, Heroes->Meta, switch it to show ranked games, your rank, and look at the top 5 winrate % heroes for your role. Pick those heroes exclusively. When a patch hits, look at it again a few days later and adjust accordingly. Or #2 go to Dota2ProTracker and look at high winrate heroes that pros are spamming in pubs. This will probably take you farther than the first strategy but there's also a much higher likelyhood that a hero that's being spammed for 1000+ matches at a 55% winrate in top 1000 Immortal bracket is going to eat a big nerf.

The two big obstacles are tilt, as always, and the sheer boredom of picking the same 5 heroes over and over in a game with over 100.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Doesn't apply to Clockwork who is an absolute menace in immortal but doesn't win easily in every other bracket

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Lina, Jakiro, and now Venomancer are my goto heroes, never hurts to be able to flash farm/keep towers pushed if your cores have a bad early game and now with the big map you can still be greedy and steal enemy camps or sneak a few on your side even when they have a good game

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

7.34e on Monday.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Jakiro is straight up broken for support, max dual breath and Liquid fire, one point in Ice path. Use liquid fire on towers (even while glyphed) from absurd range, hell get a dragon lance if you want

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Big fan of mid Jakiro. Take their tower by 5 mins

Witch Blade, dragon lance and aghs.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I like any support that doesn't have to spend much mana to harass, Veno and Jakiro have great passives, Lina has huge range for a support. Techies is my 4th favorite too, plays kinda like Lina, long range right click, "skillshot" that's pretty easy to hit if they have a melee hero during lane, just wait for them to go for a last hit and throw stun/sticky bomb.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Veno's abysmal attack range and move speed make him really unforgiving to learn for a newer player IMO.

But once you get the hang of it, man do I just love spitting poison at my enemies :allears: I was spamming him big time a month or two ago. I wish you could make him to be more of a right clicker but it doesn't really work.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Veno's abysmal attack range and move speed make him really unforgiving to learn for a newer player IMO.

But once you get the hang of it, man do I just love spitting poison at my enemies :allears: I was spamming him big time a month or two ago. I wish you could make him to be more of a right clicker but it doesn't really work.

I can deal with Veno's short range, but can not figure out Shadow Shaman. Enemy Shaman just chunks me down with his 60+ damage but when I try, I can't get near anyone without drawing all the creeps to me

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
My one hot support trick is too start the attack command out of range of the creeps and walk in to attack range that way. They won't aggro you unless you leave the attack command active for like 3-4s. Try not to just walk into death. Your carry should be able to grab/reset aggro by targeting an enemy hero if you mess up, but they don't always do that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Had an absolute banger of a p5 Jakiro game with a Safe lane Kunka. We slaughtered them in lane, got a bunch of kills and farmed them all game.

Then I figured why not run it back with another one, this time we had two people go mid (willow and viper). With no safelane core, I tried to CS but then Willow TPed after being killed twice in a dual mid lane (not sure how that happened, but somehow they kept getting picked off by a single mid pudge. After two deaths, Willow TPed to safe lane, and started to CS called that he was the carry and took the farm. I managed to get a few kills in lane, but were so far behind and the mid pudge had like 5 flesh heap stacks by minute 5 and he just started to eat us for lunch. What a nightmare of a game. We managed to hold until 50 min but they were just toying with us.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Aww yeah finally got to 30% ranked confidence. Not the greatest but super happy with this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sometimes latenight games are funny in that you think they're gonna go one way and then there's some crazy swerve. Enemy team has a level 30 LC named 'Alucard' or something and we have a Crystal Maiden from SEA. I'm assuming Crystal Maiden is just going to get absolutely mauled by LC this game. Nope, LC sucked and CM was a boss. CM basically just waited until teamfights were 95% over and the enemy team had commited every possible resource and blown their bkbs then she'd blink in and BKB ult and 3-4 people would die. I'm not real sure cores should be soaking damage and in some cases dying so the pos 5 can clean up with a good ult but it worked and she was like 5 levels above everyone else in the game from it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had a kickass game as CM last night with a Drow against a Slardar-Io. Drow was smart enough to take an early point in Silence and we just destroyed them so good. Almost level 30 on CM :toot:

Felt nice to finally break a losing streak I was on. The game before that we had a Wraith King 3 who maxed his W last :sigh: Got like a 26 minute Radiance or something abysmal like that. Somehow we dragged it out to be a 65 minute game versus a Specter, but there was just nothing we could do.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 20, 2023

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Frostivus coming in December, new arcanas et al next year. 7.34e out today with nerfs for the worst of the patch

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

emdash posted:

Frostivus coming in December, new arcanas et al next year. 7.34e out today with nerfs for the worst of the patch

NP untouched, nice

btw I did a couple Jakiro games, since it's unranked circus dota, I got to play safelane carry Jakiro. I had a P1 bristle, but after he feed first blood he just jungled all game. He's a monster when he gets farm. It was a blast. This is maybe game 30 or so, and I finally got the jitters out and was able to properly use Euls and Force to save/position, I almost enjoy playing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was hoping Midas would get nerfed harder, so tired of having both the Carry and the Offlaner get them in enough of my games.

Interesting BB and CK nerfs; doesn't look like a huge damage decrease for Bristle but I'm bad at math. The CK nerfs seem appropriate, nerf to his sustain and holy crap lots of extra mana required for the Ulti. SB nerfs don't seem significant at all though :thunk:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I was hoping Midas would get nerfed harder, so tired of having both the Carry and the Offlaner get them in enough of my games.

Interesting BB and CK nerfs; doesn't look like a huge damage decrease for Bristle but I'm bad at math. The CK nerfs seem appropriate, nerf to his sustain and holy crap lots of extra mana required for the Ulti. SB nerfs don't seem significant at all though :thunk:

I think there was a strategy of not leveling Bristle's passive so you'd take more damage and get more passive procs and the nerfs seem to be in response to that. Idk though, never saw that strategy in games in my bracket and he was still pretty strong

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I had heard of the "Only put 1 point in it so you hit the Quill Cast Threshold more frequently", but I'm not sure if I ever experienced it. Were people taking Stats over leveling it? :shrug:

So yea, now that Threshold scales sorta forcing you to skill it to get that value back. I dunno I've hardly played Bristle since he lost his AoE Goo, it's hard to make sense of how much this will really impact him. I feel like he'll still be able to pop off in your average pubs just fine.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Yea I had heard of the "Only put 1 point in it so you hit the Quill Cast Threshold more frequently", but I'm not sure if I ever experienced it. Were people taking Stats over leveling it? :shrug:

So yea, now that Threshold scales sorta forcing you to skill it to get that value back. I dunno I've hardly played Bristle since he lost his AoE Goo, it's hard to make sense of how much this will really impact him. I feel like he'll still be able to pop off in your average pubs just fine.

Yeah stats or your other abilities would scale faster. Was all over TI.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean obviously Goo + Quills over it, but I wasn't sure if people were picking Stats over the Passive once the others were maxed

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Yea I mean obviously Goo + Quills over it, but I wasn't sure if people were picking Stats over the Passive once the others were maxed

Yep. Sometimes a second point but almost never more than that

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've been playing a lot of Enigma lately and black hole is still good but the hero is almost unplayable in some games. You will not be able to tell whether it will be playable when you pick it. Sometimes you will get dicked over by completely random stuff like their offlaner and pos 5 picking first so third pick is Rubick. Sometimes you get hosed over by something like a player that does nothing but hang back during teamfights until you use black hole at which point they blink in and use something to interrupt that you can't itemize against. Other times you'll think the game will be impossible but it's super easy because whoever you're worried about just gets deleted in the first 5 seconds.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I love picking silencer or Rubick into Enigma.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
There is one guy in my bracket on au servers who in my run ins with him he 1st picked enigma every time. And everytime he's been countered by a rubick or silencer, so he never casts blackhole.

Somehow I don't think I've lost a game with him on my team even tho he essentially becomes a 3k hp creep.

Just to clarify. He doesn't even try to use the spell out of fear of it being stolen or getting globalled.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Not casting it as a policy is obviously not good but the threat of that spell in particular will sometimes make the enemy do stupid stuff like not use Global or hold spellsteal, so it can work out

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea just the threat of it can be useful.

Or just build a refresher to re-BKB once the Silence goes off.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I've definitely seen pro games won without a single blackhole being cast, though it was more commoon when Eidolons were stronger.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Eidolons still hurt like mtf in lane. And low-key counter to skellies.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The hilarious Skelly counter is Aghs Enchantress casting little friends on supports. Also that should work on Lone Druid, gently caress that hero

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does it not work on the Bear? I assumed it did

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Bear is a hero-creep. Also brewlings iirc. Makes them immune to a lot of creep specific stuff

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Does it not work on the Bear? I assumed it did

bear is a hero unit, little friends only works on creeps.

winter wyvern is the correct counter to LD (but it's not much of a counter)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I finally got around to playing dazzle mid last night. It’s good but you’re hosed if the enemy team has decent momentum against you. Once the build gets going it’s nuts, you’re like Tinker on steroids.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I've definitely seen pro games won without a single blackhole being cast, though it was more commoon when Eidolons were stronger.

travels necrobook enigma was goated for like 15 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone ITT bought anything from the online Secret Shop? I bought something this past TI, my order is still merely "Confirmed" :thunk:

Guess I'll have to reach out to their customer support but just thought I'd see if anyone here has had issues