Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some people even get small indoor dogs specifically for the purpose of being vacuums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
"the list" of poo poo that outright kills dogs is ridiculous. My wife gives me grief if I have a beer with my dog

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Buddy, they don’t even let me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats why I got an Aibo and a oh my god the pool is uncover---!!!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
'He's too young!" well its not like he's gonna live to 21, let the little man cut loose

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Barudak posted:

Thats why I got an Aibo and a oh my god the pool is uncover---!!!

Dogs in an enclosed pool area? Oh no...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty standard if you have a cat and a dog to put the cat food somewhere the dog can't reach, because otherwise the dog will eat it.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for causing a scene when my sister (26) stole my pregnancy announcement?

quote:

My sister Lila (28F) and I (34F) are both the children of a single mother. Growing up, I was always closer to our mother since we were closer in age and had similar interests. I was also very quiet and well behaved while my sister was wild. We grew up in the sheltered suburbs, so her behavior wasn’t nearly at the level of a lot of kids generally, but it was a point of stress for my mom.

Many moons ago, my sister and my ex boyfriend started a relationship. I was alright with it since he was my ex boyfriend in high school. I made a mistake after she got engaged to him and I’m not justifying this but when my ex and I had a moment, I gave in and slept with him. I immediately regretted it and told my mom the morning of crying. She was upset at me but understood and when she tried to console my sister, Lil blew up at her and said that my mom was taking my side instead of hers and was mad that my mom consoled me or whatever. She didn’t talk to my mom for a long long time after that.

Lila is pretty happy now. She’s got her life together and earns good money. Her husband is rich and she has this cute baby girl. My mom dotes on the baby and ever since Lila has made up with her, takes Lilas side on everything because she’s scared of losing her.

I recently found out that I’m pregnant. I currently don’t have a job and I’m living with my best friend. The baby’s father will not be in the picture. After the shitshow that was this year, this child is a blessing for me and I’m really happy and couldn’t wait to tell my mom.

Yesterday, we were meeting for a picnic in the park and I was really excited to make my announcement. I had made cupcakes with blue and pink frosting for everyone.

Before I could tell anyone, my sister let everyone know that she’s pregnant also. She’s 5 months along and knows the gender. Everyone was so elated and I was a bit hurt but decided to make my announcement as well and revealed my cupcakes. My mom was silent when I told everyone and when I prodded her she said that she was worried for me since I don’t have a job and she doesn’t know how I’m gonna survive raising this baby by myself. I started crying and told her that of course she’s going to criticize me and compliment my sister and that the favoritism is starting to show. It really hurt me.

My mom got hurt and said it wasn’t her intention and then my stepdad spoke up and said that she was right and it isn’t about favoritism since my sister has got everything figured out and that he doesn’t know if I’m capable of raising my child by myself. I yelled at all of them for underestimating me and that just cause I don’t have some fancy job doesn’t mean I can’t raise my baby. I left in a huff. My dad later called me and said that he’s sorry if my feelings were hurt but that I really ruined the mood of the picnic by asking my mom of her thoughts and ruined my sisters announcement as well as mine. I don’t think im the rear end in a top hat, and I just want to prove it to them. Aita?

edit: I made a mistake in the title. My sister is 28 not 26. I think there are also a few typos and grammar mistakes so sorry! typos courtesy of iphone ;)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Food insanity day at AAM

quote:

she filed a complaint with HR as after reading the recipe closely, she discovered I used a boxed pound cake mix

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Pirate Radar posted:

Food insanity day at AAM

yeah i had to read that one a few times and still dunno wtf

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Evil Willow posted:

I like the interesting lack of information about how sister discovered her fiancé had (re-)hosed OP. Did OP just come down to breakfast and tearily confess to both of them?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mx. posted:

yeah i had to read that one a few times and still dunno wtf

Getting called in by HR and asked not to make pound cake next year followed by making pound cake next year is one of the lowest-stakes power moves I can think of.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Pirate Radar posted:

Getting called in by HR and asked not to make pound cake next year followed by making pound cake next year is one of the lowest-stakes power moves I can think of.

how else am I going to explain all these bottles of yellow and brown liquid under my desk.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pirate Radar posted:

I have literally no idea what the coworker's complaint is though. It doesn't count as bread pudding because it uses pound cake mix? gently caress it then, I'll call it something else, gently caress off.

Also the notion of buying a pound cake mix is pretty funny for a cake where the quantities required of everything are specified in the loving name of the cake.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: telling twins apart.

The Febey twins, (Steven and Matthew), that played for Melbourne in the 80s-90s, tell the story of when they were babies, their mum had only one of them circumcised so she could tell the difference between the two of them.

Which one? And how did that system work when they grew up? I don't follow football closely enough to know those details.

AFL players tend to expose themselves at any given opportunity so identifying which was which probably wasn’t all that difficult.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fil5000 posted:

I have literally no idea what the coworker's complaint is though. It doesn't count as bread pudding because it uses pound cake mix? gently caress it then, I'll call it something else, gently caress off.

Also the notion of buying a pound cake mix is pretty funny for a cake where the quantities required of everything are specified in the loving name of the cake.

Just another case of someone being mad that there is a Way things are Done and you are not Doing it Right

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

haveblue posted:

Twins don't come out side by side, it's one then a few minutes later the other. Pairs of twins tend to know the order and joke about it even though they have the same birthday on the calendar

Yeah I got twins and one is 7 minutes older and he acts the big brother.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
you gotta nip that poo poo in the bud. schedule a c-section so that the second twin can be born simultaneously

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Foo Diddley posted:

you gotta nip that poo poo in the bud. schedule a c-section so that the second twin can be born simultaneously

Have the kids inside that time and gravity chamber from DBZ so they’re born in the same moment from our perspective and they get swole as hell

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pirate Radar posted:

Have the kids inside that time and gravity chamber from DBZ so they’re born in the same moment from our perspective and they get swole as hell

little lead onesies that you can take off of them when they need to reveal their true power levels

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
"We mixed you up a few times as babies and honestly I'm not even sure which of you was originally david and which was tom anymore"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Foo Diddley posted:

With eighteen months’ notice there’s no excuse.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Evil Willow posted:

Growing up, I was always closer to our mother since we were closer in age and had similar interests.

I'm sorry. Did your mother give birth to you when she was 5?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
So happy daddy gave mummie and me matching colouring buks for qwismassssss

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kaiju15 posted:

A reverse of the “your older sister is actually your mom” family secret situation where your mom turns out to actually be your sister?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
cause we need a new version of Incendies.

AITA for banning my sil from babysitting after she put breastmilk in my child’s ears

quote:

I have a 7 year old daughter, Rose. Rose is prone to ear infections.

She had a double ear infection recently and couldn’t go to school on Friday because she had a low grade fever. I had to go to work and couldn’t get a babysitter so my SIL offered to keep her for me.

Everything seemed to go well until I picked Rose up and my SIL told me she had put breastmilk (she has a 12 week old) in Rose’s ears to help with the ear infection. She even offered to send some home in a dropper bottle so I can keep giving it to her. She claims it’s a great remedy and that Rose was already starting to feel better. I couldn’t believe that she did this to my child without asking. I yelled at her for it, we argued, and I told her she will no longer be able to babysit/be around Rose unsupervised. Now Rose is upset that she can’t go to her auntie’s house anymore and my brother called me to say that I upset his wife, she was just trying to help, and that I overreacted. This is a woman putting her bodily fluids in my child’s ear. I think I have a right to be upset. It seems that everyone is against me on this so I wanted to know if I was the rear end in a top hat for banning her from babysitting or being near Rose unsupervised.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 21, 2023

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hey can we not post an abuse story about an autistic kid? That's emotional abuse. Thanks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Randy Travesty posted:

Hey can we not post an abuse story about an autistic kid? That's emotional abuse. Thanks.

removed, deal.

AITA for ignoring my coworker after she told our boss she knew my salary?

quote:

A couple of weeks ago my coworker (40s F) "Rose" asked me (22F) what my salary was, and we found out I was making more than her even before my raise.

Rose is the only one with a different title and responsibilities than the rest of our team, but she's been helping out with tasks that the rest of us perform so I encouraged her to ask for a raise.

Rose went to our boss and flipped out. She told our boss she knew how much I was making and demanded the same salary. Obviously our boss didn't take it well. I was pulled aside, told what went down, and told that management doesn't appreciate this kind of thing and they'll have no choice but to fire people who do this going forward.

Rose called me after work to rant about what happened. I basically told her it was her fault because instead of making her raise about her merits, she brought me and my salary into it. But Rose tried to deflect blame by saying it was our boss who was trying to divide us.

This whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and I feel completely thrown under the bus. Since then I kept my head down and secretly planned my leave.

Last Friday, I handed in my resignation and my boss let the whole team know. Most of the team looked visibly pissed off, including Rose.

Rose has been trying to reach out to me at work and spammed me with phone calls and texts after work, saying she has important things to discuss. I lied to her that I'm pretty busy so I can't meet at work and have just been ignoring her calls and texts.

In her last message, she says I can spare her a minute and it's not nice to ignore her. I'm wondering if I'm TA?

Edit: I accepted a higher paying job before resigning

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Cowslips Warren posted:

removed, deal.

AITA for ignoring my coworker after she told our boss she knew my salary?

Union rep hat on. YTA. Rose is absolutely correct here and OP (if they’re in the US) needs to actually file a NLRB complaint about being told they’ll fire people for discussing salary because that is one of the most illegal things an employer can do unless they’re managerial which it sounds like they aren’t.

ETA: in the comments they say they aren’t US based but there’s very few western countries where this isn’t protected, so I’d be curious to find out where they live

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 21, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"actually, i'm in some other country where this is plausible" is a p standard AITA dodge. they don't usually specify which country

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Cowslips Warren posted:

removed, deal.

Thank you 💖 for real

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Kaiju15 posted:

I also read that as "I'm closer in age to my mother than I am to my sister", because the alternative reading "I, the older sibling, am closer in age to my mother than my sister is", is both trivial and generally not a thing in terms of shared interests :confused:

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

"actually, i'm in some other country where this is plausible" is a p standard AITA dodge. they don't usually specify which country

"There's only 12 accountants in my country so I don't feel comfortable saying which"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

Titles like that usually go one way, the actual writing told a different story.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I legitimately don't understand how someone with no income survives, let alone feels comfortable having a child. Like, we do pretty well, but a month or so of no income and things would get pretty dire. I can't even conceive of what life looks like with that as a default state.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I legitimately don't understand how someone with no income survives, let alone feels comfortable having a child. Like, we do pretty well, but a month or so of no income and things would get pretty dire. I can't even conceive of what life looks like with that as a default state.

No income and no actual home on top of that. Is their best friend going to let you stay for free with a kid?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also the baby's father is not in the picture. But I guess calling it a blessing is better than facing reality. Or maybe she's helping her mom is going to pick up the slack.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Union rep hat on. YTA. Rose is absolutely correct here and OP (if they’re in the US) needs to actually file a NLRB complaint about being told they’ll fire people for discussing salary because that is one of the most illegal things an employer can do unless they’re managerial which it sounds like they aren’t.

ETA: in the comments they say they aren’t US based but there’s very few western countries where this isn’t protected, so I’d be curious to find out where they live

I do agree with this but Rose is an idiot for how she handled things. Different title/role, demanding a raise & doing so in a way that pisses off the boss/your coworkers is NOT the way to endear yourself. It's not hard to say "hey boss, I've been helping with X, Y & Z lately in addition to my normal duties, can we discuss a raise/increase?" without going into full-blown :byodame: I DEMAND A RAISE BECAUSE SHE MAKES MORE THAN ME mode.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Runcible Cat posted:

I like the interesting lack of information about how sister discovered her fiancé had (re-)hosed OP. Did OP just come down to breakfast and tearily confess to both of them?
I found the setup amusing. I'm a quiet good girl and my sister was a real tearaway wild child, but she finally got her life together and settled down, thank god. Anyway, we've been on thin ice since I hosed her boyfriend, and now I'm pregnant by another man who has ghosted me and I have no job and no real place to live. Did I mention that I was the good girl and she was the troublemaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

When I was growing up I constantly heard stories that were basically "We suffered and sacrificed but it was all worth it in the end" so I can understand younger people coming away from that with the idea that "things will work out somehow"