Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Also you can wreck the auto focus and stability motors on your phone camera from the constant vibrations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that doesn't sound right

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/apple-warns-motorcyclists-that-vibrations-can-ruin-iphone-cameras

More a motorcycle thing but they note that even lower frequency vibrations can be a risk.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah but the examples they give for those are lower cc and electric motors

I can't see it being in issue cycling unless you are constantly riding washboard or rumble strips

even then quad lock includes little vibration absorbing ring

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Fool posted:

I can't see it being in issue cycling unless you are constantly riding washboard or rumble strips

Perhaps you've heard of this new thing called a "gravel bike"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

amenenema posted:

Gravel bikes that hum with vibrations at frequencies that are perceptible as musical tones?

Seriously, this isn't an issue for bicycling. It's an issue for high-RPM vibrations over long periods of time. You're not doing that on a bike. The rattles you feel on a bike as you go over gravel might feel like a lot when compared to, say, riding on pavement. But, they are nothing compared to 3000+ RPM vibrations on a motorcycle. It's not the hard rattling of bumpy terrain that messes up the phone's camera; it's the constant buzzy vibrations that you only get with engines.

Just because a lot of something causes a specific issue, that doesn't mean that way less of that thing will cause a similar issue.

Of course, maybe there is a lot of evidence of people's phones being messed up due to bicycling? I went looking many moons ago, and the only documented issues I could find were all related to motorcycles.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My anecdote: the focus motors died in my pixel 3, which I did use on a bike handlebar mount quite a bit, but I can't prove it was the bike that did it in and some quick googling about it says that phone might have a fragile focus system so :shrug:.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tarlibone posted:

Of course, maybe there is a lot of evidence of people's phones being messed up due to bicycling? I went looking many moons ago, and the only documented issues I could find were all related to motorcycles.

I imagine the problem is that it's impractical to do broader testing for every single model. That'd be the only way to prove the issue one way or another.

You'd have to have like 100 phones, a test cycle broken into 4-5 phases, and some sort of rig like this but with the same forces acting on each phone:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tarlibone posted:

Gravel bikes that hum with vibrations at frequencies that are perceptible as musical tones?

Seriously, this isn't an issue for bicycling. It's an issue for high-RPM vibrations over long periods of time. You're not doing that on a bike. The rattles you feel on a bike as you go over gravel might feel like a lot when compared to, say, riding on pavement. But, they are nothing compared to 3000+ RPM vibrations on a motorcycle. It's not the hard rattling of bumpy terrain that messes up the phone's camera; it's the constant buzzy vibrations that you only get with engines.

Just because a lot of something causes a specific issue, that doesn't mean that way less of that thing will cause a similar issue.

I could definitely see phone cameras dying after being subjected to fast group rides and road races here.

Watch this clip from the 1:45 mark and keep in mind this is the slow Master’s 35+ category 3 and 4 race. P/1/2 would probably be going 3mph faster. The vibrations are too much for the GoPro’s EIS to handle.

https://youtu.be/1lrpx4kU6v4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I imagine the problem is that it's impractical to do broader testing for every single model. That'd be the only way to prove the issue one way or another.

You'd have to have like 100 phones, a test cycle broken into 4-5 phases, and some sort of rig like this but with the same forces acting on each phone:

I have questions

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
If you want to use a phone mount you just need to run the fattest tires with the most supple, paper thin casing you can afford

I had an automatic Seiko watch that broke from wearing it while riding. That was from a triple triangle aluminum frame with a 22mm tire on the front riding on chip-seal roads though

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

tarlibone posted:

The article literally warns of this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I have questions
It's SaaS (Strava as a Service)

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
heatmap influencers

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Slavvy posted:

I have questions

Pokemon Go eggs

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm looking to buy a gravel bike. There's a cross bike on super sale that comes with a 1x 40 up front and a standard road cassette in the back. Given the choice, would you guys go with XPLR (10-44) or go with a full mullet in the back? FWIW, I live in Colorado.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Residency Evil posted:

I'm looking to buy a gravel bike. There's a cross bike on super sale that comes with a 1x 40 up front and a standard road cassette in the back. Given the choice, would you guys go with XPLR (10-44) or go with a full mullet in the back? FWIW, I live in Colorado.

Really check the geometry and fit on that cross bike before you buy it.

There’s a reason why gravel bikes became their own category and why everybody didn’t suddenly just start riding cyclocross bikes, and it’s not just because -marketing bullshit-

Cyclocross bikes are built mainly for cyclocross racing, and while a ton of them can make perfectly serviceable road/gravel bikes a lot of them are built with mud clearance/shoulder carrying in mind and things like comfort, straight line stability, etc take a distant second.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ok Comboomer posted:

Really check the geometry and fit on that cross bike before you buy it.

There’s a reason why gravel bikes became their own category and why everybody didn’t suddenly just start riding cyclocross bikes, and it’s not just because -marketing bullshit-

Cyclocross bikes are built mainly for cyclocross racing, and while a ton of them can make perfectly serviceable road/gravel bikes a lot of them are built with mud racing/shoulder carrying in mind and things like comfort, straight line stability, etc take a distant second.

So I'm looking at the R5-CX in a 56. If I look at the geometry, it seems almost identical to a Crux in a 54 and an Aspero-5 in a 54. Am I missing something?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

amenenema posted:

The article literally warns of this.

You mean the article you linked to that only describes motor vehicles? Let's forget the fact that it's talking about motor vehicles, which is a fact we shouldn't forget, but for the sake of argument. The lower vibration metric they discuss on mopeds and scooters is amplitude, not frequency.

The Source You Quoted posted:

What if your motorcycle doesn’t vibrate very much? "Attaching your iPhone to vehicles with small-volume or electric engines, such as mopeds and scooters, may lead to comparatively lower-amplitude vibrations, but if you do so a vibration dampening mount is recommended to lessen the risk of damage to your iPhone."

Low amplitude vs. high amplitude is the difference between loud and quiet. Low frequency vs. high frequency is the difference between low and high pitch. Apple's warning here is that less powerful motors might have less amplitude, but the frequency will be in a similar range, and because of that, you should use vibration dampening when attaching your phone to the handlebars of a motor vehicle.

These kinds of sustained, steady frequency vibrations are something you don't get on a bicycle until you stick a motor on it.

This is one of the articles I read months ago when I was looking into this, by the way. I'm aware of what it actually says, and most other articles I found about this were related to this article, either citing it directly, or clearly containing the exact same information.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

amenenema posted:

no, what's that

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I'm trying to learn a bit more about bike fit and computer vision for a new job. What's the cheapest way to hold my bikes stationary so I can record myself pedaling and (eventually) analyze the fit? Have a mix of boost and non-boost bikes so would like something that can adapt to either.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

A 1X drivetrain with a 40 in the front and a road cassette in the back doesn't sound adequate for a gravel bike at least for the hills where I live. I converted an old CX bike into a 'gravel bike', it has a road compact at the front (50/34) and used to have a road cassette at the back (11-28). I slapped a mtb derailleur and cassette on the back (11-36) and that's barely enough for a steep gravel hill.

It also doesn't have clearance for any tire larger than 40mm (some CX bikes I've seen can't even fit a 40) and the geometry is basically a road bike so it's super nervous and hard work descending on rough gravel roads.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've been happy with 40x10-44 on my Crux as a gravel race bike.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Blackhawk posted:

A 1X drivetrain with a 40 in the front and a road cassette in the back doesn't sound adequate for a gravel bike at least for the hills where I live. I converted an old CX bike into a 'gravel bike', it has a road compact at the front (50/34) and used to have a road cassette at the back (11-28). I slapped a mtb derailleur and cassette on the back (11-36) and that's barely enough for a steep gravel hill.

It also doesn't have clearance for any tire larger than 40mm (some CX bikes I've seen can't even fit a 40) and the geometry is basically a road bike so it's super nervous and hard work descending on rough gravel roads.

dema posted:

I've been happy with 40x10-44 on my Crux as a gravel race bike.

Yeah I’ve ridden a gravel bike with 40/10-44 and it’s been fine. Was more curious if the additional mountain bike 52 was super useful or not.

The geometry thing is what I’m more worried about, especially since I’m looking at doing 100-200 mile races on this thing. Geometry in a 56 seems very close to an Aspero/crux in a 54, which are “real” gravel bikes though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don't race so I appreciate the slacker geo of a "gravel adventure" bike compared to a CX or gravel race bike. I run with a 46/34 crank & 11-32 cassette and it's mostly good but I wouldn't say no to a 34 cog either. On slick 38s it makes for a really nice road+/light dirt bike that's quick and comfy all day. If I were really getting after the gnarly & steep gravel it'd be out of it's element in both tires and gearing, though.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

tarlibone posted:

You mean the article you linked to that only describes motor vehicles? Let's forget the fact that it's talking about motor vehicles, which is a fact we shouldn't forget, but for the sake of argument. The lower vibration metric they discuss on mopeds and scooters is amplitude, not frequency.

Low amplitude vs. high amplitude is the difference between loud and quiet. Low frequency vs. high frequency is the difference between low and high pitch. Apple's warning here is that less powerful motors might have less amplitude, but the frequency will be in a similar range, and because of that, you should use vibration dampening when attaching your phone to the handlebars of a motor vehicle.

These kinds of sustained, steady frequency vibrations are something you don't get on a bicycle until you stick a motor on it.

This is one of the articles I read months ago when I was looking into this, by the way. I'm aware of what it actually says, and most other articles I found about this were related to this article, either citing it directly, or clearly containing the exact same information.

drat you love effort posting huh.

To whomever originally inquired, do whatever, I hope it works out for ya.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IME CX bikes tend to have short stays, high BBs, pretty quick steering and limited tire clearances.

Get a bike without those things and you'll be fine, and if it's nominally a CX bike WGAF.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Can someone tell me what I’d pay for duty/ taxes on a $850 purchase from bikeinn / Spain?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

evil_bunnY posted:

IME CX bikes tend to have short stays, high BBs, pretty quick steering and limited tire clearances.

Get a bike without those things and you'll be fine, and if it's nominally a CX bike WGAF.

Aaaaand it's gone.

Bike store just called me to say they sold out of all of them so no need to come in after work. :v:

On the bright side, I get to keep on being indecisive about gravel bikes for another few weeks/months!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Residency Evil posted:

So I'm looking at the R5-CX in a 56. If I look at the geometry, it seems almost identical to a Crux in a 54 and an Aspero-5 in a 54. Am I missing something?

Which are two other cyclocross bikes…

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Aspero is marketed more as a gravel race bike, I'd say.

As for 1x in Colorado -- I think it depends on what this bike does for you and fits in with your other bikes. Are you racing CX? Is it doubling as your road bike? Is this your second drop bar bike?

I live around Boulder and run a 44x11-44 and it's fine, but if it were my road bike too, I'd go 2x almost surely. When on pavement, I spend a good bit of time in the smaller cogs. 1:1 gearing has gotten me up Magnolia here in town without much fuss. I run 52/36 front gearing on my road bike for perspective. Only you can answer how low your gearing needs to be because it's based on fitness and terrain.

If you're running 40t up front, I probably wouldn't go mullet. This year we saw the mullet gets more appealing when you're running a 46-50t front ring where the hard gears are hard and the mullet gives you the climbing range.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Also on gravel vs. CX differences -- real CX bike do make a different. There's a reason a sponsored Santa Cruz rider was racing on a 2 generation old frame this year.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Residency Evil posted:

The R5-CX is totally different geo than the Aspero? My friend has an R5-CX, it's a great looking bike, he loves it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

The R5-CX is totally different geo than the Aspero?

hey man, a triangle's a triangle

unless there's three of 'em (then it's a GT)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Aspero is a cool bike, slightly higher and slacked out road geo and can take two different wheel sizes and loads of clearance. The BB on the R5CX is proper CX height among a lot of other differences. I think it looks freaking great too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

vikingstrike posted:

Aspero is marketed more as a gravel race bike, I'd say.

As for 1x in Colorado -- I think it depends on what this bike does for you and fits in with your other bikes. Are you racing CX? Is it doubling as your road bike? Is this your second drop bar bike?

I live around Boulder and run a 44x11-44 and it's fine, but if it were my road bike too, I'd go 2x almost surely. When on pavement, I spend a good bit of time in the smaller cogs. 1:1 gearing has gotten me up Magnolia here in town without much fuss. I run 52/36 front gearing on my road bike for perspective. Only you can answer how low your gearing needs to be because it's based on fitness and terrain.

If you're running 40t up front, I probably wouldn't go mullet. This year we saw the mullet gets more appealing when you're running a 46-50t front ring where the hard gears are hard and the mullet gives you the climbing range.

Nah, I have a separate road bike. This would primarily be a bike for gravel (ie fire roads, stuff around Boulder) and for races. I'm planning on doing Unbound 200 in 2025, so I want something that can take me through that.

numberoneposter posted:

The R5-CX is totally different geo than the Aspero? My friend has an R5-CX, it's a great looking bike, he loves it.

Are you sure? I'm looking at the R5-CX in a 56, Aspero-5 in a 54. Geometry Geeks seems to put them within a cm on pretty much everything. The standover/BB height seem to be the main differences.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
FYI: sbc still has Wu Tang collab kit in stock, if you're looking for a new top/bib

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/state-bicycle-co-x-wu-tang-clan

EDIT: AFAIK this is the only jersey left in every size, and not just small. Bib is only available in L https://www.statebicycle.com/collec...hing-collection

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I'd be a bit concerned about running a pure CX bike with gravel sized tires + mud clearance for Unbound.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ok Comboomer posted:

FYI: sbc still has Wu Tang collab kit in stock, if you're looking for a new top/bib

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/state-bicycle-co-x-wu-tang-clan

EDIT: AFAIK this is the only jersey left in every size, and not just small. Bib is only available in L https://www.statebicycle.com/collec...hing-collection

I don't need more jerseys but on the other hand the Taco Bell and "Relax...it's just bikes" ones...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bicievino posted:

I'd be a bit concerned about running a pure CX bike with gravel sized tires + mud clearance for Unbound.

yeah, I think it's set for 33mm tires with 10mm clearance all over, so at least about 53mm. Could probably fit at least 40-42mm tires?