Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
oh good god. I just found out there's a local organization called the Senior And Disabled Dog Benevolence And Rescue Coalition.

I poo poo you not.

S.A.D.D.B.A.R.C.

https://www.wkrg.com/news/starved-abandoned-dog-looking-for-furever-home/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Using the And in their acronym is stretching it, but I’ll allow it because SADDBARC is the greatest name ever.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Tupelo Honey was also really, really good.

Huh, TIL these have multiple locations. But yes, the one by me is fantastic.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The cliffhanger of our times has a resolution

https://twitter.com/SnoopDogg/status/1726616549099004309?t=NipGqMV1BfjTMgMO7S1hMA&s=19

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’m only a couple hours in but I’m so happy with the Mario RPG remake

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

lmao incredible.

As a solo stove owner, I can confirm that they are a complete game changer in the fire pit world.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

No one could have seen this coming

What’s that? Literally everyone saw this coming?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
God drat there's no feeling like finishing off an AM work out and knowing you don't have to feel bad about sitting on your rear end being a computer toucher the rest of the day in your home :)

Vanilla greek yogurt, blueberry/banana/strawberry and whole milk in the post workout smoothie for recovery.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

I would like a multipage dissertation on ice skating please. I want to start playing hockey since there are a couple leagues up here. I grew up playing roller hockey, and skating was my best skill. I have ice skated a few times and while I was good for an average skater, I wasn't nearly as good as I was on wheels for obvious reasons. I think reading about some theory could help me acclimate faster and prevent some bad habits

Sorry a little late to this and catching up. If you're an experienced inline skater most of it will be...kinda the same but funky, that's the way I started too.

The main thing that is way different is if you try to hockey stop it's all the weight on your back leg instead of your front, you'll eat poo poo if you try to figure that out on the fly from muscle memory. Other things are weirdly easier somehow, like crossing over skating backwards you can go from an arc just staying in front of someone to damned near sideways on any stride if you want to.

And yeah, whoever mentioned it check out this thread. I'm not active in it but if there is one thing people who play hockey like to talk about it's any questions you might possibly have about skating or how to do things (hell I'm doing it and I haven't even been on the ice for a few years):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3395347

T-Square
May 14, 2009

GF was agonizing over what to get me for Christmas because I’m one of those people that really doesn’t care, but she evidently thought of something and was proud of herself.

Well it just got delivered and I had to sign for it because she isn’t home, and I instantly knew what it was because what else would go in a heavy box that’s only three inches thick and 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet but a Crokinole board? I haven’t even mentioned that in months and I feel really bad but dang that’s a good gift :shobon:

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

T-Square posted:

GF was agonizing over what to get me for Christmas because I’m one of those people that really doesn’t care, but she evidently thought of something and was proud of herself.

Well it just got delivered and I had to sign for it because she isn’t home, and I instantly knew what it was because what else would go in a heavy box that’s only three inches thick and 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet but a Crokinole board? I haven’t even mentioned that in months and I feel really bad but dang that’s a good gift :shobon:

i played that years ago in my old life, was a blast with friends. not a thing i have nowadays but still cool as heck

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

T-Square posted:

Huh, TIL these have multiple locations. But yes, the one by me is fantastic.
Lol, was hastily scrolling to post the same thing. Thanks for the additional recommendations though!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m only a couple hours in but I’m so happy with the Mario RPG remake

I love it but am a little disappointed with the music remake and just decided to switch back to the SNES version.

Also how could they rename Mack the Knife?? Minor squabbling at least.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I love it but am a little disappointed with the music remake and just decided to switch back to the SNES version.

Also how could they rename Mack the Knife?? Minor squabbling at least.

There’s quite a few renaming of things. Gimmie my NokNok Shell drat you :argh:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I got summoned for Jury Duty in Miami, lol. I tried to tell them I don't live in Miami, or even the state of Florida anymore and the only proof they will accept is my voided Florida license from when I got my PA one, which is probably somewhere in a landfill, considering, its you know, voided. So my request to be dismissed is under review, who knows how this is going to go. Also, I got a voter registration update from them last month, which I already filled out and mailed in with my new address and Voter ID stuff up here.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Do I look like I know what a treasure box is?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

I got summoned for Jury Duty in Miami, lol. I tried to tell them I don't live in Miami, or even the state of Florida anymore and the only proof they will accept is my voided Florida license from when I got my PA one, which is probably somewhere in a landfill, considering, its you know, voided. So my request to be dismissed is under review, who knows how this is going to go. Also, I got a voter registration update from them last month, which I already filled out and mailed in with my new address and Voter ID stuff up here.

About a month ago I received a jury summons from Wisconsin, even though I've lived in Iowa since May 2021.

I called the Dane County clerk and somehow my voter registration is still active up there, even though I registered in Dubuque County as soon as I had proof of residency.

In short, government is a mess.

At least one more night in the hospital. At least my diet has been advanced beyond full liquids. I don't ever want to eat, or even see, cream of wheat for the rest of my days.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://i.imgur.com/uXq2meo.mp4

Super Mario RPG is good

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I love Geno’s deadpan “ugh I gotta do this dance poo poo again? Fine” look

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

I love Geno’s deadpan “ugh I gotta do this dance poo poo again? Fine” look

A friend described it as "the angriest kid in a Christmas pageant" and I can't unsee it lol

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Is the game super easy with the attack all for perfectly timed hits? That was one of the biggest changes to combat I recall from the trailer

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dango Bango posted:

Is the game super easy with the attack all for perfectly timed hits? That was one of the biggest changes to combat I recall from the trailer

They have two types of timed hits, normal and great hits. The normal ones do more damage and the great ones that do more with the splash damage. Greats have a tighter window obviously. It's still pretty easy.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The splash damage also isn’t a lot, not enough to have a huge difference.

But yeah the game is fairly easy. There’s only been a couple times I’ve had to backtrack and level up.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ok I watched a 10 minute youtube about the crime podcast drama, which is 10 minutes more than I''ve ever watched of any crime podcast

Imagine like your sister being murdered and two different pairs of narcissists having a turf war over who gets to crack jokes while telling the story

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

swickles posted:

Much like how the Twitter algo works, if you simply pretend you never saw a jury summons, you will see less about it in the future. They can't prove you ever got it, and yes - you should do your civic duty if it's the community you actually live in, but you probably should have just ignored it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

ok I watched a 10 minute youtube about the crime podcast drama, which is 10 minutes more than I''ve ever watched of any crime podcast

Imagine like your sister being murdered and two different pairs of narcissists having a turf war over who gets to crack jokes while telling the story

Yeah there are some that take it seriously and those are fine for the most part but the idea of a funny crime podcast is weird.

Either way people who obsess over murder podcasts are weird

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
My wife loves true crime podcasts but they just make me so sad. Those poor people. :-(

And then of course I turn around and listen to something on the Russian Revolution or Macias Nguema and I'm fine, I never claimed to be particularly rational about this :shrug:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I do like Well There's Your Problem, and admittedly they are joking their way through disasters with high bodycounts, but they do maintain a voice of outrage against the people responsible for the disasters so it doesn't ever feel "and then Mr. Stabby went to Stabtown, stab stab stab" like some of that poo poo looks

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah there are some that take it seriously and those are fine for the most part but the idea of a funny crime podcast is weird.

Either way people who obsess over murder podcasts are weird

It has its fair share of problems, but I can't discount how big Last Podcast on the Left was for me in demystifying serial killers. It was the first piece of media I experienced that went "no, most of these serial killers weren't these sexy geniuses, they were idiots who got extremely lucky while benefitting from how incompetent law enforcement is," and went out of their way to mock them.

I think the problem with a lot of the funny/less serious true crime podcasts is that there's a very delicate balance in when to be funny and when to be serious/respectful, and most of them are just incapable of dealing with that at all

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Shinji2015 posted:

It has its fair share of problems, but I can't discount how big Last Podcast on the Left was for me in demystifying serial killers. It was the first piece of media I experienced that went "no, most of these serial killers weren't these sexy geniuses, they were idiots who got extremely lucky while benefitting from how incompetent law enforcement is," and went out of their way to mock them.

Yeah the impulse to brand any serial killer as a genius is deeply bizarre because even the barest review of any of the Big Boy Killers shows they were mentally stunted and Not Smart.

Ted Bundy is especially interesting because I grew up hearing all about this sexy charismatic evil genius and I lived in S Georgia when he was executed.

Then you sort of find out he’s just a troubled man who was somewhat charismatic to dumdums and daring enough to jump out of a second story window, but dumb enough to represent himself in spite of middling intelligence and poor law school grades.

Just kind of a bumbling dingus who did some horrible horrible poo poo.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Right. Like my wife's favorite podcast is Morbid and they usually spend a good chunk of the session roasting the killer. Like BTK was an absolute loser, just a total cringe fool

Their series on Jack the Ripper was really interesting, since it's hard not to feel mystique around such a crazy set of murders, but they also made it fairly clear that the real villain of the story was the ghastly nature of Victorian society

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Much like how the Twitter algo works, if you simply pretend you never saw a jury summons, you will see less about it in the future. They can't prove you ever got it, and yes - you should do your civic duty if it's the community you actually live in, but you probably should have just ignored it.

To be fair, I have already sent in a thing saying I am no longer living in Florida and wish to be removed from the voter rolls. I got a PA Real ID which automatically invalidates my Florida ID, and got written confurmation from them it did. I figured I would just have to click a button so it wouldn't be an issue in the future, but apparently not.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

Right. Like my wife's favorite podcast is Morbid and they usually spend a good chunk of the session roasting the killer. Like BTK was an absolute loser, just a total cringe fool

Their series on Jack the Ripper was really interesting, since it's hard not to feel mystique around such a crazy set of murders, but they also made it fairly clear that the real villain of the story was the ghastly nature of Victorian society

I did listen to a Morbid one once, I think it was called The Scream Murders. It was these two guys that saw Scream and were like let’s do that. The two hosts spent the entire time just ripping into them pointing out what hapless idiots they were. It was a good way to present it but I still felt awful for the girl they murdered and couldn’t quit thinking about how it affected her family and if they even got the ok to talk about it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My friend told me a few weeks ago that one of the Last Podcast on the Left dudes got banished and couldn’t remember who right away and I got real excited that they kicked Henry off for saying some dumb annoying poo poo, but apparently it was Ben Kissel over allegations from his ex wife :(

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I remember hearing about the Hifi Murders years ago here on SA in something like a "what's the creepiest or most horrific true story you've ever come across" thread and while I don't listen to true crime podcasts, that's definitely one very few of them would be equipped to handle.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Ted Bundy is especially interesting because I grew up hearing all about this sexy charismatic evil genius and I lived in S Georgia when he was executed.

I guess I am just young enough to not have known/understood a lot about Ted Bundy, until I got to college and one of my friends/roommates had a bright yellow bootleg shirt that said "TED BUNDY WAS A HUSKY" that we broke out every year to play Washington.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

I guess I am just young enough to not have known/understood a lot about Ted Bundy, until I got to college and one of my friends/roommates had a bright yellow bootleg shirt that said "TED BUNDY WAS A HUSKY" that we broke out every year to play Washington.

I love this

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I listen to the Crime in Sports podcast which is a couple comedians cackling about the terrible things various athletes have done, idk maybe I'm being morbid myself. At least there's not very much murder and most of their cackling is about how dumb the crimes are. It's funny when it's poo poo like a dude mailing himself from England to Australia and smuggling drugs in the dumbest way possible, less funny when it's, say, the Dave Meggett episode

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

shirts and skins posted:

My wife loves true crime podcasts but they just make me so sad. Those poor people. :-(

And then of course I turn around and listen to something on the Russian Revolution or Macias Nguema and I'm fine, I never claimed to be particularly rational about this :shrug:

It's wild how increasing the scale of tragedies numbs us to it, but Stalin sure was right about it. One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic. You just can't conceive of it emotionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There seems to be some difference in learning world historical events and learning the exact details of how some emotional cripple murdered people.