Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

1glitch0 posted:

Todd seems to love mechanics and he keeps trying to make games that he liked, but he is NOT a writer and they've needed a writer who was as good at writing as Todd is at the open world aspect.

The exploring in Starfield was awful though

It was basically a loading screen sim interspersed with the same base over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's annoying that DLSS support wasn't in the game at launch

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

even as bethesda elder scrolls and fallout games got worse they still had a hand crafted open world to explore, there is just nothing of interest in starfield

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Would like to play more Starfield, but waiting for the first expansion. I completed all of the handcraft content available for now.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

webmeister posted:

Did they actually make eating food worthwhile? Kinda stupid that I have 3500 hp and a sandwich heals you for 3 hp

The +2% XP food combined with the +15% XP bonk bonus makes the skill system a bit more bearable, otherwise I just ignored food completely as inventory space on your person is too limited for it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Very glad I picked the Gastronomy or Chef or whatever trait :downs:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

harrygomm posted:

were people excited for redfall at any point? i feel like that one had a tail of about 2 hours after release. i knew it was arkane so i could have looked forward to it if my first expose to it wasn't negative reviews after launch, maybe

Its a shame because what the initial trailers presented the game as being basically "Left 4 Dead 2 but with some extra mechanical depth and you're fighting vampires" made it seem really cool and then you boot it up and it ends up being yet another loving boring "immersive simulation" game with lovely combat like every other game Arkane has made

Fanatic posted:

The +2% XP food combined with the +15% XP bonk bonus makes the skill system a bit more bearable, otherwise I just ignored food completely as inventory space on your person is too limited for it.

Only way I'm ever going to bother with Starfield again is whenever I get a PC powerful enough to run it so I can slap on mods to disable inventory limits entirely as they're always the single worst thing about any Bethesda RPG

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Exploring in Skyrim was fantastic with some gorgeous in game spots, whereas starfield is pretty boring and repetitive after fast travelling to another planet.

I don’t usually care for sword and sorcery rpg stuff but Skyrim won me over big time.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I redownloaded Redfall so I can get an even game score again.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Did you hear they are still releasing small patches and still want to add the two new heroes from the season pass they sold (remember the season pass?). Maybe it'll get turned around for real. Or maybe it won't. We'll get to see tho.

It's weird that these days it's a toin coss whether a game released like poo poo is gonna get dumped or reworked to the point of being good. While I like good games it's kind of a horrific position to see.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
It‘s really funny how much more this thread talks about Redfall or Starfield than, say, Dead Space. I guess it‘s less posting material than gaming materal! That said, the wildly fluctuating difficulty in DS is still as annoying as on the original!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Accidental double post.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Neco posted:

It‘s really funny how much more this thread talks about Redfall or Starfield than, say, Dead Space. I guess it‘s less posting material than gaming materal! That said, the wildly fluctuating difficulty in DS is still as annoying as on the original!

In fairness it's difficult to talk much about a game that everyone generally agrees is good and doesn't have a lot if much at all wrong. People usually just play those games, but they don't make for much use in shitposting.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The only reason I took a break from Starfield is because there's been too many good games this year and I want to play them all.

I still really love the game and it's definitely my game of the year. The only metric I use to determine how good a game is is how much fun I'm having with it.

That said, I've been playing Hogwarts Legacy this week, and that one could be another contender for my personal GOTY. It feels like I'm playing a real Fable game. I miss Fable and I want the new one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

In fairness it's difficult to talk much about a game that everyone generally agrees is good and doesn't have a lot if much at all wrong. People usually just play those games, but they don't make for much use in shitposting.

Yeah.

Play Dead Space, it's fantastic.

That's basically all I have to say about that game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

The exploring in Starfield was awful though

It was basically a loading screen sim interspersed with the same base over and over

Yeah Bethesda does nothing all that well, except exploration and Starfield feels like every other Bethesda game but without exploration. They took out the one fun thing. It's insane.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm still playing Hardspace Shipbreaker. The achievement tracker says I just completed "Act 2" and about 66% done, and there's all sorts of drama involving unions, workers "disappearing" after making mistakes, a new manager that's inexperienced, but also insanely cruel, but the basic gameplay loop doesn't reflect any of this. It's still just taking apart ships in 15-minute shifts. I get the feeling I'm better off just ignoring the radio chatter, but I'm not someone who can tune that out - I have to listen to it.

Meanwhile, Sea of Thieves released another update that adds a voyage that encourages pvp (two items to dig up in two spots, combine, and deliver to a third location) and three days later I'm already able to just do the entire quest solo without anyone contesting it. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 21, 2023

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just installed dead space remake and it is great. Uninstalled starfield to make room

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I'm still playing Hardspace Shipbreaker. The achievement tracker says I just completed "Act 2" and about 66% done, and there's all sorts of drama involving unions, workers "disappearing" after making mistakes, a new manager that's inexperienced, but also insanely cruel, but the basic gameplay loop doesn't reflect any of this. It's still just taking apart ships in 15-minute shifts. I get the feeling I'm better off just ignoring the radio chatter, but I'm not someone who can tune that out - I have to listen to it.

The story culminates in one of the best moments of ludonarrative harmony I’ve ever experienced so no, you’re not better off just ignoring it. But also I felt like the gameplay and story worked really well together the whole time so it’s bizarre to hear someone complain about it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lammasu posted:

I use Civilization Revolution for this

Neco posted:

It doesn’t really seem all that surprising to me that stinkers made by Arkane and BGS and both released by Bethesda in the same calendar year would garner more chat than a good remake of a solidly good game from 15 years ago tbqh

Like, there’s way more meat on the bone of the failures in this conversation than the success.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 21, 2023

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Dead Space remake feels like playing the original for the first time, with the advantages of DS2.

Ditching the tired silent protagonist approach after DS1 and bringing in more of the Unitology lore are concepts wisely backported from DS2.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

runchild posted:

The story culminates in one of the best moments of ludonarrative harmony I’ve ever experienced so no, you’re not better off just ignoring it. But also I felt like the gameplay and story worked really well together the whole time so it’s bizarre to hear someone complain about it.

I'm just at the point where evil manager tells me to pick it up since other employee quit, but after that conversation, I don't see anything in the game that looks like an increased workload.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

It doesn’t really seem all that surprising to me that stinkers made by Arkane and BGS and both released by Bethesda in the same calendar year would garner more chat than a good remake of a solidly good game from 15 years ago tbqh

Like, there’s way more meat on the bone of the failures in this conversation than the success.
Ok I get that Starfield isn’t amazing, but there’s a pretty big gap in quality between Redfall at launch and Starfield at launch

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok I get that Starfield isn’t amazing, but there’s a pretty big gap in quality between Redfall at launch and Starfield at launch

Agreed, but it is not hyperbole to label Starfield a stinker, imo. They can be leagues apart technically but that is not incongruous with it having its own fair share of problems in design.

e: “failure” might not be fair for Starfield, depending on your definition. For me it’s a failure because the first new IP from the Elder Scrolls dudes in decades was incredibly unfun to play.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think Starfield needed at least another year to flesh out a lot of what they wanted to do that they just didn’t have time for

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the amount of time spent loving aroud in menus in starfield to go places is absolutely torturous and the worst aspect of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Starfield is better than Redfall unarguably but it's also far below where it should have been in terms of production time/budget/hype/etc which is why you get comparisons.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The menus are also lovely. Inventory management is torturous but it could be less so with some tweaks to the menu UI. And yet,

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

My goodness how good is Hi-Fi Rush, it truly is the whole package. Hopefully it wins some poo poo at the Game Awards, it definitely is excellent in many areas. Like just comparing a game like Spiderman, Spiderman is so incredibly generic it uses many of the same game mechanics as Ubisoft open world that get torn to shreds but if you hear the talk about Spiderman it gets lauded as some masterpiece, it's fun but very generic. If Hi-Fi Rush was made by Capcom or a Playstation studio people would literally never shut up about it.

Also gamepass is still the best thing in gaming imo, this was probably one of it's best year, before they even start adding ABK poo poo. It had a perfect blend of different genres, more games from Japan than ever before. Really exciting time to be an Xbox fan or gamepass user. Meanwhile I hate the direction Sony is going with developing a million live service games and remaking unnecessary games like Tlou2/Horizon1. I still play the PS5 since I love their single player exclusives and Square Enix exclusives. But they are moving away from my interests slowly.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I'm just at the point where evil manager tells me to pick it up since other employee quit, but after that conversation, I don't see anything in the game that looks like an increased workload.

Well there technically isn’t ever a real quota other than offsetting your daily interest. Hal spouts a lot of bullshit, just cause he tells you to work harder doesn’t mean you have to listen. And his presence does impact the gameplay throughout Act 2 when he raises your hazard levels early and then at the end when he impounds the Beulah.

The real juicy bit is the finale at the end of Act 3.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
All I can say about the complaints about Starfield's loading screen travel is that if the alternatives are the tedium of No Man's Sky travel or Elite Dangerous travel, then I'll take the Bethesda version every time.

Also Gastronomy earned it's place in my skill set when I defused a shootout by telling all parties to sit down and have a snickers.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

John F Bennett posted:

That said, I've been playing Hogwarts Legacy this week, and that one could be another contender for my personal GOTY. It feels like I'm playing a real Fable game.
Did you offset your purchase with a donation to The Trevor Project?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ruffian Price posted:

Games have gotten soo expensive!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ryoga posted:

All I can say about the complaints about Starfield's loading screen travel is that if the alternatives are the tedium of No Man's Sky travel or Elite Dangerous travel, then I'll take the Bethesda version every time.

I dunno the NMS fast travel is geared more so you take more short hops between planets (and traversing a solar system isn’t that long) and you would get the occasional random event as well to investigate.

I’m not saying NMS was the answer though because even after all the updates I still found it a little dull. But I have definitely spent more time in NMS than I did with Starfield.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

Pirate the PC version and donate $60 to the Trevor Project imo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maybe just don't play the transphobe blood libel game.

It is genuinely weird how hard that is for people.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wasn’t it just a pretty mid open world game anyway it’s not like there isn’t a poo poo ton of those to choose from.

Steph Sterling put out a vid dunking on it for not getting any of the (meaningless) video game awards and it was pretty funny.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

the game also promotes witchcraft anyway…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Soul Glo posted:

I use Civilization Revolution for this

I think I already 100% that.