Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Looking through Baseball-Reference and Willie Stargel in 1979 looks real bad

he gets a pass because he split it with Keith Hernandez which was a perfectly cromulent choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

So I'm going to be honest. I couldn't have even told you that Bernie Williams even played in the outfield. I only knew that he played for the Yankees and nothing else. Doesn't sound very famous to me.

Andre Dawson owns and shouldn't be part of this conversation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bernie was an on base king, switch hitter and played great defense ( do not st@ me )

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Who are you nominating?

e: Just to set the table for this, Dawson in 1987 didn't even rate in the top ten in the National League in batting WAR, and he was a negative value fielder. Juan Gonzalez 1996 is comparable.

Dawson likely won because writers weren't gonna make a guy with 0HR the mvp even though Ozzie was great that year, plus he almost hit 50 HR and writers basically seem to view HR the sane way they do wins for Cy voting (or at keast they did then)

I bet if Ozzie had hit 10-15 HR he'd have won

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 21, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Who gives a poo poo about defense in baseball

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Intruder posted:

I know I'm opening a can of worms here but one of Trout's should have gone to Bregman :colbert:

People were wondering what it was gonna be like if Bregman won MVP. I guess we’ll never know.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Who gives a poo poo about defense in baseball

It kinda makes a huge difference! Even great pitchers can benefit enormously from having good defensive players behind them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lance Berkman is another guy who should be in

Maybe some day

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
gently caress Lance Berkman

e: For context, Lance is one of those "Gay pride day? How about Christian pride day instead" guys

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Scott rolen means big hall and I’m here for it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

insider sources tell me that the Cubs are close to signing the hottest free agent on the market. That's right: Daniel Descalso will soon be BACK

Cubs got beaten to the punch!

https://twitter.com/katiejwoo/status/1726678742939181228

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

e: For context, Lance is one of those "Gay pride day? How about Christian pride day instead" guys
Also he was involved in the push for ‘bathroom bills’ in Texas

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Intruder posted:

Also he's a textbook "Hall of the pretty good" guy if you ignore his personal stuff, has like 17 less WAR than Kenny Lofton

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh

Forget I said Berkman sorry

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It kinda makes a huge difference! Even great pitchers can benefit enormously from having good defensive players behind them

Ssh, you're ruining the bit

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Dawson likely won because writers weren't gonna make a guy with 0HR the mvp even though Ozzie was great that year, plus he almost hit 50 HR and writers basically seem to view HR the sane way they do wins for Cy voting (or at keast they did then)

I bet if Ozzie had hit 10-15 HR he'd have won

The best player in the NL in 1987 was Tony Gwynn, who drat well should have gotten an MVP award but never did. Eric Davis would also have been a good choice.

Dawson won because 1986-87 was the Winter of Collusion when free agents simply weren't signed, and Dawson very famously offered to sign a blank contract with the Cubs and let them fill in whatever salary they liked. When he then went out and hit 49 home runs with the zany bouncy ball of 1987 the writers all swooned like lovestruck teenagers. It was the biggest individual story in baseball since Fernandomania. They didn't even care that Dawson's team finished dead last.

It was an unusual confluence of circumstances. Gonzalez in 1996 is a much more straightforward example of the voters just being dumber than the average bear.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 21, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm betrayed!!!!!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

The best player in the NL in 1987 was Tony Gwynn, who drat well should have gotten an MVP award but never did. Eric Davis would also have been a good choice.

Dawson won because 1986-87 was the Winter of Collusion when free agents simply weren't signed, and Dawson very famously offered to sign a blank contract with the Cubs and let them fill in whatever salary they liked. When he then went out and hit 49 home runs with the zany bouncy ball of 1987 the writers all swooned like lovestruck teenagers. It was the biggest individual story in baseball since Fernandomania. They didn't even care that Dawson's team finished dead last.

It was an unusual confluence of circumstances. Gonzalez in 1996 is a much more straightforward example of the voters just being dumber than the average bear.

I mean you don't have to sell me on Tony's greatness, he's neck and neck with Ichiro for the best contact hitter I've ever seen

(Also Eric Davis is deeply underrated)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I went to a music school in Boston and whenever the Yankees came to town, Bernie Williams would stop by the school and jam with the professors. He's quite the jazz guitarist.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Lance berkman may be a stupid regressive prick. But I’ll never forget his single in the 10th in game 6, and the totally unsurprised, nonplussed look on his face while he was standing at first. His beard was extremely repulsive too lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I remember Lance Berkman mostly for the way he always managed to make a major league uniform look like he'd slept in it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1727005230368493636

Better than Nevin.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lance Berkman is a piece of poo poo but he is one of the few people in sports that has successfully given himself a nickname (and a pretty good one at that).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bregor posted:

Did anyone who watched baseball in the 90s/00s ever think “Scott Rolen is one of the best players in baseball”? Like maybe? If a ran through a few dozen other names first?

He was an accumulator, which is fine, and I’m not upset he’s in. But let’s not act like if he didn’t get in that people would be out there with torches and pitchforks.

I also think he gets a lot of credit for being a “clean” player in the steroid era, which is its own minefield of presumption.

Rolen looked like the second coming of Schmidt, and ended up being very good offensively and great defensively, but his body broke down quicker than expected. His exit from Philadelphia and subsequent jumping around means he doesn't have the huge support base he would have gotten if he'd stayed put. By the Jack Morris measuring stick, he's certainly a Hall of Famer.

The problem is that he's getting a lot of credit for his very good defense, but we can't look at data on third basemen from a lot of history, because there's nothing available outside of box scores and audio recordings. You can compare him against his contemporaries, but as good as he was, Beltre is even better.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

Rolen looked like the second coming of Schmidt, and ended up being very good offensively and great defensively, but his body broke down quicker than expected. His exit from Philadelphia and subsequent jumping around means he doesn't have the huge support base he would have gotten if he'd stayed put. By the Jack Morris measuring stick, he's certainly a Hall of Famer.

The problem is that he's getting a lot of credit for his very good defense, but we can't look at data on third basemen from a lot of history, because there's nothing available outside of box scores and audio recordings. You can compare him against his contemporaries, but as good as he was, Beltre is even better.
yes Beltre was even better, which is why he has a 20+ WAR lead on Rolen. Beltre also played 21 years and has a shot at becoming the second unanimous induction, so it's perfectly reasonable for Rolen to be a HoF'er while still falling short of the lofty standard Beltre set. You definitely don't have to stoop to "the Jack Morris measuring stick" for Rolen to qualify.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Rolen and Edmonds should be left out of the HoF because it makes Cardinals fans mad, any additional reasoning is entirely superfluous.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
FanGraphs and Baseball Reference both have him at +70 WAR, which clears the standard bar by ten wins.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

euphronius posted:

Bernie is as good or better than Kirby Puckett

I know your bit is having stupider takes than mcmagic but you overshot it here, it's just not a believable bit anymore after you say this. there is no possible way you're actually that loving stupid, you'd have died in some ridiculously brain dead accident 2,923 times a decade if you're actually so dumb you believe this

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

yes Beltre was even better, which is why he has a 20+ WAR lead on Rolen. Beltre also played 21 years and has a shot at becoming the second unanimous induction, so it's perfectly reasonable for Rolen to be a HoF'er while still falling short of the lofty standard Beltre set. You definitely don't have to stoop to "the Jack Morris measuring stick" for Rolen to qualify.

Absolutely to all of that, but I think Beltre is even better than people realize. I remember a lot of people thought he had fallen apart when he got to Seattle, but he was playing in a pitcher's park, and he was still performing better than he had as a Dodger save one amazing season.

He should be a unanimous induction for sure.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's amazing how everyone's just decided to never talk about what a terrible human being Kirby Puckett was.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was unremarkable to sport writers in guess

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1727033344645603465

I hear Matt Canada is available

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

It's amazing how everyone's just decided to never talk about what a terrible human being Kirby Puckett was.

Most of that stuff didn't come out until after he was forced to retire. Before then, most people ignored it because they needed Kirby Puckett, baseball hero man. Having an "Aw, shucks" face of the franchise is good for business.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Cardinals are signing Kyle Gibson

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

live with fruit posted:

I, an irredeemable Twins homer, think Kirby Puckett was a massive piece of poo poo. He was, unfortunately, a very good baseball player. These two things are simultaneously true and are not mutually exclusive. But I would absolutely retroactively remove him from the HoF if we could enact a morals clause.

Horrible person != Face for baseball as a sport.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Do the same with Robbie Alomar

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Cardinals are signing Kyle Gibson

Good dude, bad team, no clue if he's still good. I hope so, even if gently caress the Cards

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Red posted:

Most of that stuff didn't come out until after he was forced to retire. Before then, most people ignored it because they needed Kirby Puckett, baseball hero man. Having an "Aw, shucks" face of the franchise is good for business.

He also died pretty soon after the allegations came out and it was still in the early phases of sports on the internet

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I hate this dogshit garbage front office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Mozeliak is doing a press conference today and I think I can make it to St. Louis in time to throw my shoes at him.