Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've noticed that Americans seem very down on the concept of self-checkouts, people mostly accept them in the UK? Personally, I can live with their quirks and annoyances, as it eliminates the much bigger annoyance of putting all your stuff down on the conveyer, then the person in front of you turns out to be a moron or troublemaker that holds the line up forever and you're trapped there now 'cos you've already put your stuff down.

Maybe because you guys in the UK know how to queue up and treat each other with respect... even if it is that cold respect with seething disgust under the surface. Self check out in the US gives me anxiety because people are dicks about respecting the line, and I feel like if I take too long, someone is just going shoot my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Having been to the UK, there’s a lot more thought put into self checkout there. It’s kind of a weird free for all in the US that also can get you put in jail if you’re black and make any kind of mistake

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The self checks themselves aren't the problem (assuming they have their bagging scales and scanning rate throttling turned off), it's just that when combined with unsustainable understaffing and spitting on worker dignity they're another symptom of quarterly profit chasing while assuming the economy is a frictionless sphere in a perfect vacuum

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wegmans is not as poo poo tier as these places you all are describing

Yet

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Having been to the UK, there’s a lot more thought put into self checkout there. It’s kind of a weird free for all in the US that also can get you put in jail if you’re black and make any kind of mistake

And it doesn't even have to be *your* mistake. "Unrecognized item in the bagging area - remove this item before continuing. Item removed from the bagging area - return this item before continuing. Unrecognized item in the bagging area - remove this item before continuing. Item removed..."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

shazbot posted:

Man I hope so. They phased out the "scan all your items as you shop" handheld deal real quick. I assume people just stole them all.

The IKEA here just lets you scan poo poo as you walk around and chuck it in your bag, then you just scan the app as you leave. It's great, you could nick so much poo poo if you wanted to. I've been through it like six times now and I've never been checked.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You can't buy alcohol at the self checkout either, which seems like an issue that would continually slow things down.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

euphronius posted:

How much do they pay or reimburse you for scanning everything

1 out of every 7 items free is the standard rate for contractor scanning and bagging. It tends to set off the UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA alert, but hey that's what happens when people aren't properly trained on the self-checkout.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
self-checkout is good because keeping menial jobs around just to force people to work is bullshit

self-checkout + UBI for the people no longer forced to scan our poo poo for us is the future I dream of

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 21, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've noticed that Americans seem very down on the concept of self-checkouts, people mostly accept them in the UK? Personally, I can live with their quirks and annoyances, as it eliminates the much bigger annoyance of putting all your stuff down on the conveyer, then the person in front of you turns out to be a moron or troublemaker that holds the line up forever and you're trapped there now 'cos you've already put your stuff down.

Self checkout was pretty good when it was first introduced like 20 years ago but, well, *points to thread title*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aldis is somehow the worst of all possible scenarios

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

Aldis is somehow the worst of all possible scenarios

very german.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

self-checkout is good because keeping menial jobs around just to force people to work is bullshit

self-checkout + UBI for the people no longer forced to scan our poo poo for us is the future I dream of

Sure, but you need the UBI first, then you implement the labour saving devices.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

bitterandtwisted posted:

The self-service checkout area at my supermarket now has barriers that won't let you out until you scan your receipt

My local Walmart has these automatic gates about ten feet past the entrance of the store. You walk up to them and they open. That's it.

I've never understood their purpose, but maybe they're training their customers on them for when they put them in front of the exits.

I could see these being a major liability in emergencies requiring evacuation.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sentient Data posted:

Skeleton crewed self check stores are just the ali express drop shippers of the grocery world, and they should all be shuttered

in albuquerque those are called "every single location owned by albertson's or kroger" so I don't think that's happening any time soon

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
whoa, just noticed something that got un-shittified: which wich lets you customize subs again like the old days. it looks almost like a complete menu revert

E: literally happened today, I just happened to remember them for the first time in 6 months

https://www.chewboom.com/2023/11/21/which-wich-launches-new-menu-with-more-than-50-sandwich-options/

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 21, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Self Checkout that just lets you scan and go is awesome and I vastly prefer it.
Self Checkout that demands you 'place item in bagging area' before continuing to next item is dogshit and is actually slower then the slowest cashier.

UBI cannot come fast enough. UBI is coming...right...?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

And it doesn't even have to be *your* mistake. "Unrecognized item in the bagging area - remove this item before continuing. Item removed from the bagging area - return this item before continuing. Unrecognized item in the bagging area - remove this item before continuing. Item removed..."

Unrecognized item in the bagging area, please return item to the bagging area, your scanning metrics have slowed down, why are you so slow?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

shazbot posted:

Man I hope so. They phased out the "scan all your items as you shop" handheld deal real quick. I assume people just stole them all.

I saw someone do that last monday when shopping. I think the self checkouts there have the receipt thing, never tried them though. But I ran into it in another store when I had just one item and I threw the receipt away at once, had to fish it back out the bin to leave. Last time I use the self check out there.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

AARD VARKMAN posted:

whoa, just noticed something that got un-shittified: which wich lets you customize subs again like the old days. it looks almost like a complete menu revert

This is just a glitch in the matrix. They changed something. Quick!--go check in the mirror to see if you have any extra organs. Enshittification knows no bounds.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

skooma512 posted:

Unrecognized item in the bagging area, please return item to the bagging area, your scanning metrics have slowed down, why are you so slow?

the machine flipping out when you scan more than 20 items and requiring an attendant unlock because the self-checks were supposed to be express lanes before they just stopped having checkout lanes staffed is real cool too

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I want to complain about Salad and Go which is an AZ/TX chain that basically lets you build your own giant salad for 6 bucks. It was amazing. It still is pretty good. But over the last year they are showing the signs of enshitifcation and it makes me very sad.

Also rip the breakfast burrito, salad, and drink for $10 combo. All days worth of food for :10bux:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The problem with self checkout is it's lovely. The bagging area is small, some of the times it has a weight sensor so if you can't fit poo poo on it it'll complain, the scanning is picky so you're spending time finding the bar code, if you use those price scan guns Stop and Shop has they might not be sufficiently charged. I'm on team really big vending machine.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 21, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Self Checkout that just lets you scan and go is awesome and I vastly prefer it.
Self Checkout that demands you 'place item in bagging area' before continuing to next item is dogshit and is actually slower then the slowest cashier.

UBI cannot come fast enough. UBI is coming...right...?

They rolled it out last year. Society is wonderful, everyone is happy and content. We regret to inform you that UBI has been cancelled due to stockholder disastifaction.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
*checks out self*

*steals multiple items*

It's like a reward.wav

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I refuse to use self check out for anything more than like two things. I'm not gonna subsidize corporate labor costs while they charge the prices they do, gently caress them.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Saganlives posted:

I refuse to use self check out for anything more than like two things. I'm not gonna subsidize corporate labor costs while they charge the prices they do, gently caress them.

My local grocery store literally has no cashiers after like 3pm, it's all self-checkout.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Modal Auxiliary posted:

My local grocery store literally has no cashiers after like 3pm, it's all self-checkout.

yeah, in my neck of the woods the I WILL NEVER USE SELF-CHECKOUT gambit means that after 3-4pm you're either going to TJ's or Whole Foods, then

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TJs does not have self checkout at all afaict

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

doctorfrog posted:

My local Walmart has these automatic gates about ten feet past the entrance of the store. You walk up to them and they open. That's it.

I've never understood their purpose, but maybe they're training their customers on them for when they put them in front of the exits.

I could see these being a major liability in emergencies requiring evacuation.

If it's like the ones at home depot and king soopers near me, they beep if you go the wrong way through them. I try to hit them with my cart every time to accelerate their demise. They seem like poorly made devices and I see the stuck open sometimes.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

StormDrain posted:

If it's like the ones at home depot and king soopers near me, they beep if you go the wrong way through them. I try to hit them with my cart every time to accelerate their demise. They seem like poorly made devices and I see the stuck open sometimes.

I see the ones at the Smith's by my house catch booze runners trying to power through them on occasion

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

shazbot posted:

I want to complain about Salad and Go which is an AZ/TX chain that basically lets you build your own giant salad for 6 bucks. It was amazing. It still is pretty good. But over the last year they are showing the signs of enshitifcation and it makes me very sad.

Also rip the breakfast burrito, salad, and drink for $10 combo. All days worth of food for :10bux:

They own Angie’s lobster which is the new cheap good food place for now, got one up the street from me in AZ and it rules

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

They own Angie’s lobster which is the new cheap good food place for now, got one up the street from me in AZ and it rules

nice will have to check that out theres one a mile from me

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It's really weird seeing the (what i assume are) americans complain about things that are perfectly functional and unintrusive like the little gates at the entrance. They've been in close to all supermarkets for 30 years here. The goal is to prevent people from walking out with a full trolley of food, or trying to exit through the entrance ruining crowdflow.

The ones here are decently strong but can be pushed open in case of emergency. They used to just buzz really loudly when you did that, some now have little sirens.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got autobilled by Curiositystream. I think I even turned off the renewal earlier this year too but of course, no way to confirm.

I do the live chat... and the agent is replying to me in loving Swedish, the chat window translated it inline.

But like :psyduck: you can't even translate it before you send it?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

At least in my local supermarkets in the UK, self checkouts have got better in the last 10 years I reckon. Bigger packing areas, more responsive screens, fewer “unexpected item” warnings. My local Tesco even has ones designed for trolleys rather than baskets, with a parking spot for the trolley and enough space in the bagging area for a whole trolley worth.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LimaBiker posted:

It's really weird seeing the (what i assume are) americans complain about things that are perfectly functional and unintrusive like the little gates at the entrance. They've been in close to all supermarkets for 30 years here. The goal is to prevent people from walking out with a full trolley of food, or trying to exit through the entrance ruining crowdflow.

The ones here are decently strong but can be pushed open in case of emergency. They used to just buzz really loudly when you did that, some now have little sirens.

Because it's a waste of money and resources when society should reduce the desire to steal in the first place.

And they are intrusive? They're literal gates. Walk in and change your mind that you need a cart, it's in the way.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

StormDrain posted:

Because it's a waste of money and resources when society should reduce the desire to steal in the first place.

And they are intrusive? They're literal gates. Walk in and change your mind that you need a cart, it's in the way.

they've eliminated that in the stores in town by only offering shopping carts, so if you walk in to buy a bunch of groceries without one it's on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wow, it takes effort to be this dumb and wrong

yea honestly i was really wrong, its like my brain did a full dumbass mandela effect on itself, i accept the shade