Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Haven't made it back to the games store to pick up the Kill Team box but wanted to put something together. After looking at the teams on Wahapedia I dug out my old 1st edition sprues and put this one together.
Tomorrow I'm going to go in and grab the Into the Dark and a bunch of paint and supplies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Noticed that the Dark Angels book is now referred to as "Codex Supplement: Dark Angels", so I would imagine a smaller book to be used with the main marine one. Which I would think means it will have fewer Detachments in, although I'd hope there's a Deathwing one better than the First Company one in the main book.

I guess that can really only be used for divergent Space Marines? I think all the shared Chaos units are tweaked for each Legion that can take them, setting aside that they have different army special rules, and there would be exclusions from the main Chaos book.
I think the main question that remains is whether Dark Angel / Blood Angel / Space Wolf / Black Templar exclusive units will be allowed to use the generic Astartes detachment rules once their respective codex drops. On one hand, I like my wolves with the Stormlance detachment and would like to keep using it. On the other hand, it makes those chapters just straight up better than others as there's not really any downside.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Black Templars at least should have a blanket restriction on using librarians though I don't know how you format that in the current rules outside of their specific detachments

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

hoiyes posted:

I think the main question that remains is whether Dark Angel / Blood Angel / Space Wolf / Black Templar exclusive units will be allowed to use the generic Astartes detachment rules once their respective codex drops. On one hand, I like my wolves with the Stormlance detachment and would like to keep using it. On the other hand, it makes those chapters just straight up better than others as there's not really any downside.

I'd love for the existing DA detachment to be changed to not be rubbish, especially since "Being battleshocked is good, actually" is potentially an interesting mechanic, but with how the edition is handled I'd be surprised if they pulled support for divergent chapters using the main detachments. The Deathwing and Ravenwing detachments could well be just the corresponding standard ones, and myself I'd like to play DAs with the Firestorm if the new book doesn't have one I like.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Can't believe you can still find something like this with a google search https://scholaprogenium.com

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This made me laugh

https://twitter.com/mcnostrilcom/status/1726599594384220174?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i am given to understand that this is the gist of every vermintide cutscene

this is also why the best 40K models are weird gremlins

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cease to Hope posted:

i am given to understand that this is the gist of every vermintide cutscene

this is also why the best 40K models are weird gremlins

I really love the Zogrod Wortsnagga model, any model that's wierdos are so good.

My favourite 40k Stories tend to be about the real dredges and wierdos trying to make their way in this horrible reality

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/21/codex-necrons-phases-in-with-new-detachment-rules/

The Necron codex preview has risen from its tomb for your perusal.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
*looking at admech previews* "how are they gonna salvage this mess?"

*looking at necrons previews* "they're already pretty solid how are they gonna ruin things?"

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

drat Necrons, stealing the Grey Knights' whole deal but with a real model range!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Local store got the Guard box in stock, so now I have to decide if I want to buy it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Local store got the Guard box in stock, so now I have to decide if I want to buy it.

The Christmas box?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yes, they also have the squigs box that I have no interest in.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I’ve decided to take another crack at getting my “army” painted, this is really just me trying to make the most reasonable list I can using the contents of the Horus Heresy and Leviathan boxes, plus some other random junk I have.

Captain in Terminator Armor

Librarian in Terminator Armor

Primaris Lt.

Balistus Dreadnaught

Contemptor Dreadnaught

Land Raider

Razorback

15 Terminators

15 Intercessors (HH legionaries, proxying them has elicited zero comment at the LGS so that’s good).

5 Devastators (ML or HB)

1995 pts

Basic strategy and deployment would be that the Captain and Librarian each lead 5 terminators, who along with the third squad are like half of my points and they'll deep strike in as needed, so that's flexible. The Land Raider will hold 10 Intercessors and the LT, and they'll push up the board. The other 5 intercessor will hold a back objective, along with the devastators (who alternately can be moved up somewhere more advantageous with the Razor Back).

My main concern with the army is having enough anti-tank, but I also want to keep the model count at roughly 50 or less, because I have to drive this thing to a gaming store so I don’t want to bring 100 marines.

I'd appreciate any advice on possible substitutions, I own the Horus Heresy and Leviathan boxes so the 10 man intercessor squad has a lot of alternatives. I should point out that I was originally running two devastators, and only swapped them for a Razorback because I was 15 points over and needed to cut somewhere. I guess I could have dropped the LT instead of swapping the Devastators, and I'd have had 60 points, to maybe put in the Apothecary instead?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

The Dorn kicks rear end. Very fun to put together, plus it rules on the tabletop. I only have one and will absolutely get another if I decide to go to 2000pts.

If you like tanks it is the perfect choice.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the Horus Heresy weapon boxes would allow for easily retooling the 30K guys as eradicators, hellblasters, or (more-useful) lascannon devastators. or infernus squads but that's even less useful than intercessors.

Virtual Russian posted:

The Dorn kicks rear end.

it is very fun, which is one of several similarities it shares with assless chaps

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 21, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lostconfused posted:

I bought it like an idiot and so can you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cease to Hope posted:

the Horus Heresy weapon boxes would allow for easily retooling the 30K guys as eradicators, hellblasters, or (more-useful) lascannon devastators. or infernus squads but that's even less useful than intercessors.

My Horus Heresy heavy weapons hox only included Heavy Bolters and Missile Launchers, but there's a ton of weird "special weapons": plasma guns, melta guns, and other HH specific stuff I don't recognize by sight. I would have loved to have fielded more las cannons, I worry I don't have enough heavy firepower.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

My Horus Heresy heavy weapons hox only included Heavy Bolters and Missile Launchers, but there's a ton of weird "special weapons": plasma guns, melta guns, and other HH specific stuff I don't recognize by sight. I would have loved to have fielded more las cannons, I worry I don't have enough heavy firepower.

there are four sets and you ended up with the least useful one

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/legiones-astartes-multi-meltas-and-plasma-cannons-2022
https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/legiones-astartes-volkite-culverins-and-lascannons-2022
https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/legiones-astartes-special-weapons-upgrade-set-2022

volkite weapons are the ones you don't recognize and they're (mostly) a 30K-specific thing. they make fine proxy plasma weapons in 40K though

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

it is very fun, which is one of several similarities it shares with assless chaps

Fortunately for the Dorn, there are no landmines in the grim darkness of the 41st millennia.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've been eyeing the new cities of sigmar stuff. I feel like I could convert up a lot of really nice Vostoryan officers out of the characters. Convert some of the poles and hammers into bardiche and they'd look great. I'd need to sand away a lot of "s" symbols though.

I think I might have to do this.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

I bought it like an idiot and so can you.

-every warhammer player since the 80s

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

-every warhammer player since the 80s

If I paint it up and enjoy it I plan to expand to 2k by basically grabbing three combat patrols and characters and making that the army.

Simple 2k army list:
Leontus
Ursula
Whatever supporting characters I like. There's a bit of flexibility here which is cool.

3 X 20 man shock troops with command squads.

1 X 10 man infantry squad with command squad. This is my artillery support squad for orders and mortars. I might make them Kriegers on loan to my regiment as a teaching unit.

3 X bombard field gun units.

3 X armoured tank killer sentinels.

2 X Rogal Dorn with one full anti tank and one with anti infantry guns.

I've spent a few days thinking about what I want this army to be and this is it. May God have mercy on me for wanting to play horde guard.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

JBP posted:

If I paint it up and enjoy it I plan to expand to 2k by basically grabbing three combat patrols and characters and making that the army.

Simple 2k army list:
Leontus
Ursula
Whatever supporting characters I like. There's a bit of flexibility here which is cool.

1 X 10 man infantry squad with command squad. This is my artillery support squad for orders and mortars. I might make them Kriegers on loan to my regiment as a teaching unit.

I've spent a few days thinking about what I want this army to be and this is it. May God have mercy on me for wanting to play horde guard.

scout sentinels are nice. you may want to split some of the squads (and/or use cadians) to have more pieces to throw on objectives. death korps have a fun character in the imperial armor list that gives their squad a 5+++, and he should be easy to kitbash.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cease to Hope posted:

scout sentinels are nice. you may want to split some of the squads (and/or use cadians) to have more pieces to throw on objectives. death korps have a fun character in the imperial armor list that gives their squad a 5+++, and he should be easy to kitbash.

Yeah I always have the option to split the squads which is cool. This is basically me envisioning a wall of dudes gloriously dying while easily sharing orders/character buffs.

Also I didn't notice the daring recon scout sentinel ability because my brain goes "more armour more better", cheers. That works nicely with the field guns. Rerolling wounds is also nice on the armoured ones so that's a tough choice.

I think basilisks are meant to be better but the field guns look awesome and I tend to just go for what I think looks sweet.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

I agree with everything here except splitting the troops up, they will die too fast as ten mans. There certainly is utility in more units, but as they have sticky objectives so I don't think it will hurt that much. Better to have them bulked up, able to take a hit or two. Just my opinion, but I play mech guard and those ten mans always feel underwhelming.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

JBP posted:

Simple 2k army list:
Leontus
Ursula

this list rocks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Virtual Russian posted:

I've been eyeing the new cities of sigmar stuff. I feel like I could convert up a lot of really nice Vostoryan officers out of the characters. Convert some of the poles and hammers into bardiche and they'd look great. I'd need to sand away a lot of "s" symbols though.

I think I might have to do this.

I've had similar thoughts. They'd make great suicidal fanatics

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I agree with everything here except splitting the troops up, they will die too fast as ten mans.

setting aside the influence of the command squads, 2x10 is generally harder to kill and easier to hide than 1x20. if one guy in 1x20 is exposed, hardcore anti-horde shooting can roll up the whole squad.

i'm not saying no bricks at all, but dudes you can afford to throw away as screens is helpful

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"Everybody fights. Everybody dies." That's our regimental maxim.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

setting aside the influence of the command squads, 2x10 is generally harder to kill and easier to hide than 1x20. if one guy in 1x20 is exposed, hardcore anti-horde shooting can roll up the whole squad.

i'm not saying no bricks at all, but dudes you can afford to throw away as screens is helpful

Ah, you know what, I totally forgot about the command squads. I can't fit them into a chimera. Yeah, I'd keep at least one brick, but otherwise splitting up one or two would work well.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

Ah, I didn't realize a single model exposes all models, yeah that sucks.

Splitting them in half makes it more likely that some attacks might be wasted. Well I guess it depends on how many units in the game can kill 10+ guards per shooting phase.

Also the 6x battle line rule allows you to split up all of them instead of just 3x twenty sized squads.

Almost feel like throwing Ksarkins into the infantry role might be a better idea here.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Going to need to use up that Cadian decal sheet to keep track of the squads.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lostconfused posted:

Ah, I didn't realize a single model exposes all models, yeah that sucks.

Splitting them in half makes it more likely that some attacks might be wasted. Well I guess it depends on how many units in the game can kill 10+ guards per shooting phase.

Also the 6x battle line rule allows you to split up all of them instead of just 3x twenty sized squads.

Almost feel like throwing Ksarkins into the infantry role might be a better idea here.

Remember you can buff them up in big bricks. Issuing orders like take cover, giving the brick a Primaris psyker for 4++ saves, Krieg officer 5+ eel no pain and your command group's stuff. You can also use the stratagem to bring a brick of twenty back to life.

I'm not looking to be competitive with my list. I hope it just meets other chill players in the middle where we have a good time and a lot of dudes die for the emperor.

Lostconfused posted:

I like to use painted on signifiers for this as well. I'm tempted to do something like a red shoulder for a sergeant and a half shoulder for a corporal. Guard also love their gang tags and that sort of thing so you could make up whatever tale you like for why your squads have a bare metal knee guard or whatever other easy visual cue helps you sort them out.

E: not correcting eel no pain

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 22, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

A red shoulder is something I already considered before

As an army wide thing, it will also contrast better with the white characters of the decals.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

I've seen people paint one shoulder pad a squad color, I always thought that was a really cool touch. I just bought Cadia Stands since it was a hundred bucks, and I've also been eyeing that Christmas box, so I'm really happy to see your list, I hadn't considered "just buy more box", but it really does take the sting off og getting that first 2k.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've seen people paint one shoulder pad a squad color, I always thought that was a really cool touch. I just bought Cadia Stands since it was a hundred bucks, and I've also been eyeing that Christmas box, so I'm really happy to see your list, I hadn't considered "just buy more box", but it really does take the sting off og getting that first 2k.

Why do any kind of money saving box buying when you could just collect one of the old metal only regiments?!?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

Why do any kind of money saving box buying when you could just collect one of the old metal only regiments?!?

Too lazy to prime.

Anyway, I kind of want to finish painting what I have right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My personal goal is to get An Army (space marines) up to a painted 2k asap and then spend a long time hobbying up a lightly kit bashed custom guard army using some French Infantry and a sort of Valkyria Chronicles vibe. So, I'll be taking my time with them and begging the thread for advice when the moment comes.