Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Apple just yanked their Twitter advertising as well.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/11/17/apple-advertising-on-twitter-paused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

It's that time of the month again- Twitter and Elon Musk (what's the difference any more) did something so far beyond the pale that major advertisers are jumping ship. This time it was approvingly retweeting blatant antisemitism and being unable to stop ads from accompanying it.
He brought back Tommy Robinson, who is a British Nazi that has been profiled on the Behind the Bastards podcast

He’s a pretty open Nazi, but Elon pals around with people like Andrew Tate who are just as awful but in a different way so I just don’t think he gives a poo poo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Why the gently caress are Apple and IBM still advertising on xitter at all. I can kind of get Xfinity because it's hard to think of a more publicly hated company.

Inertia.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Better question, who is on Twitter who doesn't already know that Apple is making a new iphone every year?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Advertising isn't just about informing people, it's about making them want it

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

This is just sad, its not like Musk ever stopped or apologized for being publicly racist and/or antisemetic over the ongoing year-long meltdown.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Mercury_Storm posted:

This is just sad, its not like Musk ever stopped or apologized for being publicly racist and/or antisemetic over the ongoing year-long meltdown.

a 'pause' (without actionable conditions on un-pausing) is cowardly

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Papercut posted:

Advertising isn't just about informing people, it's about making them want it

I'm pretty sure most everyone knows if they want to buy/use Apple products by now

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how old is the osama tiktok letter thing? apparently NPR is having its two cents on it, but theyre also having a "nuance" look at the stupidity lasagna of the situation.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm pretty sure most everyone knows if they want to buy/use Apple products by now

I find it weird to be pushing back on the idea that Apple, one of the greatest marketers of all time, makes effective advertisements or understands the effect of their own advertising.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 17, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you want to be a really institutional forever brand you have to be constantly bringing in new people. The iPhone is 16 years old. There are people who weren't born when it was introduced who are picking out their first cell phone today, and Apple isn't going to just hope word of mouth reaches them organically

PhazonLink posted:

how old is the osama tiktok letter thing? apparently NPR is having its two cents on it, but theyre also having a "nuance" look at the stupidity lasagna of the situation.

Can't be more than a couple of days. At this point the hand-wringing over it has vastly greater reach than the original phenomenon ever did

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 18, 2023

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

“Making them want it” isn’t just about convincing people that your brand or products are good so that the next time they’re in the market for a phone they pick your phone. It’s about making them want your phone, right now, you’re missing out, buy buy buy, regardless of whether or not they actually need a new phone. You can’t get that without constantly pressuring them with ads.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's also been proven that if you stop advertising your market share just drops. For big companies a certain amount of maintenance marketing is required to remind customers that your product even exists or your competitors start eating your lunch.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Thermonuclear
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1725866970338238696

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As much as I would love to see him immolate himself, I’ve learned by now that he talks a lot but does far less.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

my favorite part of this is "also 8 of the 9 posts were fine and allowed for serving ads against what's the big deal, also I'm suing for saying we serve ads against them"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would like to think this will be a big faceplant, but he somehow won the “pedo guy” lawsuit and also the “funding secured” lawsuit so he has some kind of supernatural mastery of lawsuits about saying things he isn’t supposed to

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 19, 2023

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

haveblue posted:

I would like to think this will be a big faceplant, but he somehow won the “pedo guy” lawsuit and also the “funding secured” lawsuit so he has some kind of supernatural mastery of lawsuits about saying things he isn’t supposed to

His supernatural powers come from his enormous pile of money and his team of very expensive and hopefully competent lawyers, I would think.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

haveblue posted:

It's more understandable how Vernon "pedo guy" Unsworth lost what should have been a solid case when you learn who his lawyer was.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

... Wasn't the "funding secured" lawsuit the one that ended with him forced to buy Twitter at a highly inflated price

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ElegantFugue posted:

... Wasn't the "funding secured" lawsuit the one that ended with him forced to buy Twitter at a highly inflated price

No, it was a class action lawsuit over investor losses due to stock volatility caused by Musk saying he was thinking of taking Tesla private and then tweeting "Funding secured" when in fact he had only ever made the most nebulous plans to take Tesla private and, obviously, never actually did so.

That lawsuit failed to find him liable because it was hard to prove a direct through-line of causation for the stock losses -- Tesla stock is volatile as hell at the best of times -- and because proving fraud generally requires specific, concrete, knowingly false claims with an intent to profit from deception, whereas Elon was just kind of tossing out recklessly stupid vague musings that he didn't even end up profiting from. He still ended up paying tens of millions of dollars in an SEC settlement over the comments, though.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 19, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Hard to find anybody defending musk out here these days (to my great relief). The moderate/establishment types who credulously believed everything they heard about Mars and batteries have caught wind of his tweet history, and even the angry young Joe Rogan guys know he's radioactive cringe (they're still very concerned about being immasculated and not being allowed to be men though, and plan to vote for trump).

It was really hard for awhile, folks praised and defended things he never did... things he could never do, and simply dismissed the truth of the man as lies by jealous haters. Supremely frustrating "emperor has no clothes"/"you're surrounded by pod people" poo poo.

Hope this anecdotal observation bears true out there, we never get the "I told you so" but I'm glad to be done with the alienating gaslighting all the same.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Twitter has filed its thermonuclear lawsuit. Their core complaint is that Media Matters used Twitter in an atypical way in order to deliberately cause ads to appear next to antisemitic posts more often than they would organically

You might notice that Twitter doesn't deny that that can happen! They just say it's rarer than the expose claims, and Media Matters is cheating because its examples were the result of going to look for it rather than accidents

The lawsuit was also filed in Texas, which neither party has a presence in, but which does have a notable lack of anti-SLAPP laws and a notably insane conservative-stacked appeals route, so there's that

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 21, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Texas AG Paxton (who is under investigation for fraud) wants to open an investigation on Media Matters for fraud.

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1726765680375238864

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

Twitter has filed its thermonuclear lawsuit. Their core complaint is that Media Matters used Twitter in an atypical way in order to deliberately cause ads to appear next to antisemitic posts more often than they would organically

You might notice that Twitter doesn't deny that that can happen! They just say it's rarer than the expose claims, and Media Matters is cheating because its examples were the result of going to look for it rather than accidents

The lawsuit was also filed in Texas, which neither party has a presence in, but which does have a notable lack of anti-SLAPP laws and a notably insane conservative-stacked appeals route, so there's that

There's also the fact that Musk's lawyers in this case worked in the Texas AG's office right up until last month, and that the Texas AG launched an investigation of Media Matters literally the same day that Musk filed the lawsuit. Putting all that together sounds like less of a coincidence and more like another item to add to the pile of corruption allegations against Paxton.

Of course, there is one major obstacle to suing in Texas: the fact that doing so violates Twitter's own TOS.
https://twitter.com/en/tos

quote:

The laws of the State of California, excluding its choice of law provisions, will govern these Terms and any dispute that arises between you and us. All disputes related to these Terms or the Services will be brought solely in the federal or state courts located in San Francisco County, California, United States, and you consent to personal jurisdiction and waive any objection as to inconvenient forum. To the extent permitted by law, you also waive the right to participate as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class action, collective action or representative action proceeding.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

Not that this suit isn’t bullshit, but I think Media Matters has a Dallas office

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not that this suit isn’t bullshit, but I think Media Matters has a Dallas office

Even if it does they have a very good case to have it shifted to California.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s going to get dismissed before hearing, I would imagine

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s going to get dismissed before hearing, I would imagine

It doesn't really matter, this is how the right discredits fact-checking organizations in public consciousness.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

LifeLynx posted:

It doesn't really matter, this is how the right discredits fact-checking organizations in public consciousness.

Eh, kinda but that also doesnt really matter. The people who are only going to care that Musk sued Media Matters and not care that the lawsuit got dismissed are probably not being unbiased and honest actors.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

:awesome:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1726989224073896365

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That may be the stupidest thing he’s ever posted, which is saying a lot

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't know he considers tesla drivers his enemies, but that explains a lot

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Every time I think he can't get more pathetically online, he finds a new way.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

We all had "that" kid at our HS but not many of them were given millions by their parents.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Elon sighed as he drew his katana

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Elon sighed wheezed as he drew his katana

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

haveblue posted:

Texas actually has one of the strongest anti SLAPP laws in the country... but lawyers following the suit are saying Musk is filing in a way specifically to dodge it (by starting in federal court iirc?[.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Elon regressing into a permanently aggrieved weeb is not really where I saw this going, but it keeps happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mercury_Storm posted:

Why the gently caress are Apple and IBM still advertising on xitter at all. I can kind of get Xfinity because it's hard to think of a more publicly hated company.

IBM may be marketing in the hope that they can convince Musk to purchase from them. Musk has a history of making IT decisions for his companies rather than letting the actual experts he pays do their job - marketing on Twitter can get senior IBM folks into the room. This is speculation, but knowing how IBM operates at times, that's my best guess.