Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Is there a super Noddy guide for idiots on putting different consoles onto Daijisho?

Specifically I've got an RG405m running OnionOS which works great for things like PS1, NES, Megadrive, GB etc but I've tried playing PS2, Saturn and PC-98 and all I get is a black screen.

I'm guessing it's something to do with configuration but I'm also a fool

E: I should point out the consoles do appear in the menu and it recognises the ROMs so that bit is working fine

freelop fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You want to buy the gadget named after the norse god of war, not god of jokester.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

hatty posted:

Might as well wait for the Odin 3 now

I'm waiting for the RP5 myself.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Na it doesn't ship until next month, I'm not calling it released yet, can't just assume these companies will release when they say they will.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

drrockso20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRRogyECEqE
looks like Anbernic is going to be putting out an enhanced version of the RG35XX soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j13l4uHXgM

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

freelop posted:

Is there a super Noddy guide for idiots on putting different consoles onto Daijisho?

Specifically I've got an RG405m running OnionOS which works great for things like PS1, NES, Megadrive, GB etc but I've tried playing PS2, Saturn and PC-98 and all I get is a black screen.

I'm guessing it's something to do with configuration but I'm also a fool

E: I should point out the consoles do appear in the menu and it recognises the ROMs so that bit is working fine

Saturn and PS2 emulators require a system bios to emulate, so I'm gonna guess you need to supply a copy of the bios for whichever emulators you're using. You'd have to check your specific emulator to know exactly which one it wants and where to supply it, but you can find bios packs that will contain most/all of the ones you could ever want on archive.org.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Man, I need a good High-fidelity spea ker in my life.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Weird question, what is my best option for a mini PC or something that can do PS2 emulation? I recently switched from my gaming PC to an M2 MacBook Air and PS5. The MBA can easily handle PS2 stuff but eventually the heat gets to it and it becomes a stutter mess. Granted it takes a while but considering I intended on doing it for Gran Turismo 3 and 4, marathon gaming sessions eventually become a necessity. Alternatively, I’m open to cooling solutions for the MBA. If I’d have known it’d be a hassle I’d have opted for an M1 Pro probably

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Basically any of the current mini PCs will handle PS2 no problem, though I'd also consider just turning down render settings in the emulator because my M1 Air doesn't have issues with long play sessions, though I also haven't tried running GT3/4 on it and those are easily 2 of the hardest PS2 games to emulate. Also consider the Steam Deck and a USB-C hub if you don't mind a slightly messy looking setup, as a dedicated emulation device the 64gb model that's currently on clearance since it's being discontinued is cheaper than most specced out mini PCs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Basically any of the current mini PCs will handle PS2 no problem, though I'd also consider just turning down render settings in the emulator because my M1 Air doesn't have issues with long play sessions, though I also haven't tried running GT3/4 on it and those are easily 2 of the hardest PS2 games to emulate. Also consider the Steam Deck and a USB-C hub if you don't mind a slightly messy looking setup, as a dedicated emulation device the 64gb model that's currently on clearance since it's being discontinued is cheaper than most specced out mini PCs.

This or check Facebook marketplace or eBay because I’ve seen some 512s going for $250.

IMO the deck is probably the best cheapest solution right now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MarcusSA posted:

This or check Facebook marketplace or eBay because I’ve seen some 512s going for $250.

IMO the deck is probably the best cheapest solution right now.

That or a Xbox Series S with the $20 developer key.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is the Deck that great at emulating GT4? Upscaled anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My one issue with the Series S thing is I don’t trust Microsoft to yank that functionality at any moment.

Rinkles posted:

Is the Deck that great at emulating GT4? Upscaled anyway.

Absolutely perfect when I was last playing it, it was one of the first games I put on my Deck to emulate.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

njsykora posted:

My one issue with the Series S thing is I don’t trust Microsoft to yank that functionality at any moment.

They could but that would really screw up their developer program. I think as long as you run it in that mode, you’re clear. It’s just trying to run emulators in retail mode that’s the issue.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Got my SER7 mini-pc on the way :stoked:

Trying to decide which linux flavor to install on it. I really want it to be fully controller uh.. controllable. I used Lakka last time (but ended up scavenging that PC to make a rhythm game station), and there don't appear to be too many other options really. It'll mostly be used for just retro gaming, but it'd be nice to be able to run like, a moonlight client or something on it for streaming.

I could try that chimeraOS thing, but the fact that it has to be rebooted to add anything to it is a little annoying. Are there any other good options for an OOB retro gaming setups that people have found?

I guess I could also just setup my own environment and have it auto start a launcher or something but :effort:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You are looking for Batocera.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

You are looking for Batocera.

Oh dang, you're right this looks like exactly what I want!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Another option is JELOS, which is what runs on a lot of handhelds but has x86-64 too. If you want nothing but retrogames+moonlight, it's about as lightweight as you can get.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Another option is JELOS, which is what runs on a lot of handhelds but has x86-64 too. If you want nothing but retrogames+moonlight, it's about as lightweight as you can get.

Oh nice, this one seems good too. I guess I'll try both out a bit and see which I prefer

I had no idea there were so many options

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's the recommended front end for Android (or specifically a Retroid)? Daijisho? Any potential alternatives?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Launch box?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rinkles posted:

What's the recommended front end for Android (or specifically a Retroid)? Daijisho? Any potential alternatives?

I like RESET collection

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dig is the other one but I like Daijisho too much.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What are most people using on their rp3+? I just use the stock launcher. :(

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
After I installled Sunshine to the host PC, I added Playnite to compliment Sunshine/Moonlight, which is a launcher with customized themes to choose Steam/Ubi/etc games from a single front end. It also has option to install its version of Retroarch but I haven't tried it yet. It populates new games you install from steam etc.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

What are most people using on their rp3+? I just use the stock launcher. :(

Daijisho. Stock launcher isn't bad though, I think they did a good job with it, especially it being able to just write a decent set of configs for hotkeys and stuff in retroarch

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been loving having Daijisho on my phone for when I want to play some games, I know someone said you want a separate device for this stuff but a lot of these games are perfectly playable with touchscreen controls even so it's great for whipping out and playing some Skies of Arcadia or something in bed without having to grab the Kishi. I have like 200GB of free space on my phone that'll never get used so I figured I might as well cram some ROMS in there :shrug:. Everything so far has ran super well on my S22 Ultra too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Was excited to see my RP2S had already made it's way to my town, but apparently that's just what the Chinese tracking system shows when the package reaches the destination's country.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Think I'm going to buy an RG505. Either that or an RP3+. Being able to emulate (some) GC/PS2 is pretty cool on an inexpensive handheld.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I was looking at getting a Miyoo Mini+ or 35XX, but the reviews say that the SD cards + roms that it comes with are likely bad. Is that true?

Are people doing full OS/rom reinstalls and replacing the SD cards when they get them?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

err posted:

I was looking at getting a Miyoo Mini+ or 35XX, but the reviews say that the SD cards + roms that it comes with are likely bad. Is that true?

Are people doing full OS/rom reinstalls and replacing the SD cards when they get them?

The roms will just be a random pile of romhacks and fan translations that haven't been updated in years and just aren't worth sifting through. People have done prebuilt rom collections for the mini handhelds that are more worth looking up. Most people in this thread are doing full custom firmware installs as well (OnionOS for the Miyoo, GarlicOS for the 35XX), might as well use a more reputable microSD while you're at it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

err posted:

Yup it's actually pretty simple overall and there's good guides on how to do it

Also personally I'd lean towards the RG35XX if mostly because I feel having HDMI out is more useful than the Miyoo Mini Plus having Wi-Fi

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

On the other hand, I can’t imagine needing HDMI out, while having WiFi makes it possible to use retroachievements which is very fun.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Chinook posted:

On the other hand, I can’t imagine needing HDMI out, while having WiFi makes it possible to use retroachievements which is very fun.

This, although Retroachievements needs to add Shin Pokemon Red because like hell I'm playing vanilla Pokemon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Chinook posted:

Simple it lets you use it as a TV device, just connect a couple external controllers and you're good to go for multiplayer purposes

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

drrockso20 posted:

Simple it lets you use it as a TV device, just connect a couple external controllers and you're good to go for multiplayer purposes

Yeah I get why it might be useful in some cases, it’s just something I wouldn’t really do. Retroachievements has me actually playing games in new fun ways and it’s awesome.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I never used my Gameboy Player anyway

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

The roms will just be a random pile of romhacks and fan translations that haven't been updated in years and just aren't worth sifting through. People have done prebuilt rom collections for the mini handhelds that are more worth looking up. Most people in this thread are doing full custom firmware installs as well (OnionOS for the Miyoo, GarlicOS for the 35XX), might as well use a more reputable microSD while you're at it.

I will say, sometimes you get some gems in the big rom piles

there's a completely bonkers SMRPG complete romhack called mario is a drug addict which is absolutely baffling. I need to go back and finish it at some point because it's in this weird zone where I think it's supposed to be "haha drugs" but then every character expresses seemingly sincere worry about Mario's drug problems and the writing really hammers home how bad it is in a way that doesn't necessarily read as "funny lol mario takes mushrooms." Smithy becomes the ghost of addiction come to destroy the mushroom kingdom as well. Also they do a really bad goth pallet for peach and she's the lead singer of an emo band?

It's buckwild (and has some uh.. prettttty unfortunate writing for Croco)

It suffers from the romhack problem of making the bosses like.. enormous piles of HP. But does use that for a legit funny joke when it subverts it at a particularly annoying boss. I've toyed with doing an LP of it for awhile now but it's so much effort :sigh:

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 22, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

err posted:

I've read that the microSDs that come with the systems are crap. I'd rather just load up my own roms. Really have no need for thousands of preloaded roms that I have zero interest in anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I bought a Miyoo Mini Plus from the Miyoo store on Ali Express this month and the microSD card that came with it just said "64". No label, symbols or anything. I didn't try to test it with Htestw, but just opening it via a SD card reader (not the one that came with the device) I already got an error. It didn't stop me from browsing or making a backup copy, but still...

Had to wait 2 more days before a SanDisk Ultra 64 gb arrived (from the SanDisk store on AE). Gave me time to prepare, so now instead of lovely rom hacks I've got things like a dozen prototype builds for Golf Magazine: 36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples on the 32X :shepface:

I've only used it for a short time, but I can't imagine not wanting to install OnionOS on this device anyway. That's a good reason as any to ditch the card that comes with the system ASAP.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 22, 2023