Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Dream Team trailer:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1727009065178640826

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

The greatest sin of Forces is wasting the greatest idea Sonic Team has had in recent years (the player OC) and wasting it on the most underwhelming Sonic game. Because you know they aren’t bringing that back for a long time, if ever.

This but Infinite instead.
The reception for Frontiers’s Titan fights is proof enough that Sega was cooking with Infinite, he just needed more time in the oven.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Those sunglasses don’t seem particularly useful

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m glad that Sonic Mania made it mandatory for every new Sonic game to be accompanied by a gorgeous 2D animation

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

I’m glad that Sonic Mania made it mandatory for every new Sonic game to be accompanied by a gorgeous 2D animation

This is the first time we’ve seen one for a 3D game to my knowledge (though both Team Sonic Racing and Frontiers got animated shorts made for them).

They seem to be putting a lot of effort/marketing into this mobile game, which might bode well in terms of its quality (still hoping for a Switch port eventually though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 21, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

This is the first time we’ve seen one for a 3D game to my knowledge (though both Team Sonic Racing and Frontiers got animated shorts made for them)

getting gorgeous 2D animated web shorts falls under the umbrella of “being accompanied by a gorgeous 2D animation”

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

getting gorgeous 2D animated web shorts falls under the umbrella of “being accompanied by a gorgeous 2D animation”

Fair point, I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing a new 2D Sonic cartoon or anime done by the same team that’s behind these

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NiGHTS

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
A new Sonic cartoon in that style would own. Such a cool intro.

Infinite also owns and I'm sad he's probably not coming back. What a waste.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hailing Shadow is at an all time low now

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Eggman just having a lot of arms in that animation seems like a waste of the potential of a dream world, but it would also be funny if he was super smart but utterly lacking in creativity and tries to kill you with an increasing number of arms.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Eggman just having a lot of arms in that animation seems like a waste of the potential of a dream world, but it would also be funny if he was super smart but utterly lacking in creativity and tries to kill you with an increasing number of arms.

I kind of hope this is an actual boss in the game now

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hailing Shadow is at an all time low now

Rouge figures that if Sega's not going to do anything with Shadow she might as well join Team Sonic.

Larryb posted:

To Forces credit, Infinite is a hilarious edgelord (he started out as a mercenary, Shadow beat him up effortlessly, he threw a hissy fit and upgraded himself using the Phantom Ruby, and in the end Eggman betrays and basically kills him, turning him into energy to power his machine)

I like to imagine Shadow didn't even kill the other members of his squad like the prequel implies, they just thought his loss to Shadow was so lame they decided to quit the squad in embarrassment afterwards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

Rouge figures that if Sega's not going to do anything with Shadow she might as well join Team Sonic.

I like to imagine Shadow didn't even kill the other members of his squad like the prequel implies, they just thought his loss to Shadow was so lame they decided to quit the squad in embarrassment afterwards

Still weird that part isn't available in Theater mode, it's probably the funniest scene in the game (particularly Infinite's impotent whining at the end)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

I assume that like in Sonic Prime, they'll continue to use Shadow but only as a grumpy loner.

Which leaves Rouge to join Team Sonic or stop appearing, and poor Omega is just screwed. :ohdear:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The shuttering of Team Dark is so cringe. It was something that had, near as I can tell, an extremely high approval rating from the fanbase, at least the portions of the fanbase that gave a poo poo about the cast outside of Sonic.

Guess if Shadow isn't gonna get equal billing with Sonic, he doesn't get to have his own relationships independent of Sonic anymore? Wack.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What is with Sega’s recent treatment of Shadow anyway? The most they’ve done with him outside of the spin-offs is his little extra story in Forces (even the comics can only do so much with the character thanks to some weird mandate)

Hell, the Shadow in Sonic Prime is probably the closest to his old self the character’s been in years

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Frontiers stopped at having Adventure 1 characters (and even then only in a minigame), we need to wait until Frontiers 2 brings back SA2 and onwards folks for Rogue and Shadow too hang out

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

What is with Sega’s recent treatment of Shadow anyway? The most they’ve done with him outside of the spin-offs is his little extra story in Forces (even the comics can only do so much with the character thanks to some weird mandate)

From 06 to Forces we were in the “only Sonic & Tails phase” now after Mania we are in the “return of classic characters” phase. This new Sonic cycle just isn’t at the early 3D era yet.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

Hell, the Shadow in Sonic Prime is probably the closest to his old self the character’s been in years

Grumpy loner Shadow is apparently more iconic and popular than secret goof trying to look like a grumpy loner Shadow, at least according to Sega. The comics writers don't want to write him like that so they mostly just don't use him. IIRC.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sega wants to write DBZ Vegeta as their nature to see the open pile of already pressed gold bars (Post Z Family-Man-Of-The-Sort Vegeta) and shun it for the pickaxe and the ground marked "septic tank below" in-spite of everyone (both in and out the bulpen)'s open, and at this point triple-figure, blood pressure protestations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain France posted:

Grumpy loner Shadow is apparently more iconic and popular than secret goof trying to look like a grumpy loner Shadow, at least according to Sega. The comics writers don't want to write him like that so they mostly just don't use him. IIRC.

Even in Shadow's own game we still got a bit of the latter

While I like the actor and admit he got a little better around Forces I'm still not really a fan of Kirk Thornton's Shadow voice either (Griffith and the guy from Prime are way better), but that's more a matter of personal opinion honestly

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

This is like taking candy from a baby, which is fine by me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When did the current mandate about Shadow first start anyway? I remember the Archie comics being able to get away with a lot more regarding him

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Bring back the Shadow who eats doritos and plays Burnout 3 imo

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Can shadow smoke weed now that it's legal?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think it's nice that after two decades of mostly hanging out with shadow and omega, rouge is finally rediscovering her other friends

Larryb posted:

Even in Shadow's own game we still got a bit of the latter

While I like the actor and admit he got a little better around Forces I'm still not really a fan of Kirk Thornton's Shadow voice either (Griffith and the guy from Prime are way better), but that's more a matter of personal opinion honestly

kirk thornton is easily the worst shadow imo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He could but he'd get unpersoned and recast

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Weirdly enough I thought people hated Archie shadow even before more mandates and the reboot came down. Personally I loved him in Sonic Universe.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
archie shadow owns, even before he gets good writing every time steve butler attempts to draw anything is a delight

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
Why does Eggman have giant anime puppy dog eyes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And why is Shadow’s chest hair both gold and enormous?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

In the build-up to 06, some SEGA exec talked about how they could see a world where you'd see a Sonic game, a Shadow game and a Silver game all on the shelves next to each other, they wanted Shadow and Silver to be the protagonists of their own fully fledged spinoff series. Then 06 was a trainwreck and that dream died and so did Shadow and Silver having any importance as the series completely refocused on Sonic as the main character with nobody having equal billing to him. Sonic 06 really, really, really made SEGA throw the baby out with the bathwater in terms of the extended cast. I'm pretty sure that besides the Forces OC, Final Horizon was the first time we've been able to play as anybody besides Sonic in a mainline 3D Sonic game since 06? It's not so much how they're treating Shadow, it's how they're treating everybody. Shadow just had the most to lose because from his debut until 06, he was honestly more important to the franchise than Sonic.

I dunno anything about a "mandate" regarding Shadow in the comics though, has SEGA gotten snotty about how he's written lately or something?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard people talk about how the IDW staff isn’t allowed to do anything with Shadow besides having him be a grumpy loner (pre family Vegeta basically), but I’m not 100% on that or if it necessarily extends to the games

Shadow was technically also playable in Forces but he was just a palette swapped Sonic in terms of gameplay like he was back in SA2 and Heroes

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 23, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

pokecapn posted:

Why does Eggman have giant anime puppy dog eyes

Larryb posted:

Ah, Steven Butler and the weird era of Eggman's lenses being his actual eyes (that particular issue is 133, the finale of the Home arc)

Also giving the girls some pretty brow-raising figures, and Sonic's quills kept getting longer and longer - they're at a pretty drat silly length even as far back as issue 116 under Ron Lim's pen, especially when compared to how J Axer draws him in the same issue (and his depictions of Rouge and Bunnie are...quite something)

The early-mid 100s were a wild time

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Larryb posted:

localised super form

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah, Steven Butler and the weird era of Eggman's lenses being his actual eyes (that particular issue is 133, the finale of the Home arc)

Also giving the girls some pretty brow-raising figures, and Sonic's quills kept getting longer and longer - they're at a pretty drat silly length even as far back as issue 116 under Ron Lim's pen, especially when compared to how J Axer draws him in the same issue (and his depictions of Rouge and Bunnie are...quite something)

The early-mid 100s were a wild time

I am always so amused by how many established comic book artists Archie brought on to work on Archie Sonic who just could not adapt to the style. And after Sonic Adventure you had the one-two punch of a bunch of artists whose previous work was mostly on superhero books having to adapt to drawing both very cartoony AND in an anime-influenced style. The 2000s were not a good time for Sonic comic art.

It's actually really interesting in hindsight how much trouble a lot of western comic artists had in adapting anime-influences into their styles, given how ubiquitous anime's influence in western media is today.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Sonic 3 movie is confirmed for late next year:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1729878669882200126

Still sort of curious if we’re getting Amy in this too or just Shadow

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 29, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rouge too, they're pushing her hard in a lot of stuff so I can see them wanting her in as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I’m also curious how much this movie is going to borrow from the plot of SA2