Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

nine-gear crow posted:

Makes you wonder just how much the NX-01 must have just absolutely reeked of dog poo poo and dog piss over the course of its lifetime.

a 3 inch layer of dog piss covers every surface under the floor grates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Makes you wonder just how much the NX-01 must have just absolutely reeked of dog poo poo and dog piss over the course of its lifetime.

Vacuuming out dog hair from the navigation controls.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I like dogs well enough, but they're probably the worst possible pet to have for extended space travel, especially in a ship as small as the NX. Data had the right idea with a cat.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cats smell way worse than dogs imo.

But the worst pet would be any kind of bird.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Soooo, the dog poo poo in the Jefferies tubes, again. You can smell it everywhere on the ship but we can't find it."
"Can we just seal them up for a week or so? Let the turd dry up? Vent the atmosphere, maybe?"
"Sir, Jeffery lives in there! And you know he won't come out. Ever."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Cats smell way worse than dogs imo.

But the worst pet would be any kind of bird.

Tossup between birds and Cardassian voles.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cardassians voles are hairless, that's a point in their favor

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's basically a sphynx

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

I like dogs well enough, but they're probably the worst possible pet to have for extended space travel, especially in a ship as small as the NX. Data had the right idea with a cat.

Doesn't Ent-D have an entire indoor park with forest section and all that crazy stuff, being built as a "bring your family too to ensure that no-one survives" long-distance exploration vessel?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

^^^
Both the Constitution and the Galaxy class Enterprises had Arboretums.

I really wish that at some point after this they had Porthos cloak himself like Flox warned Archer he might.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Brawnfire posted:

"Soooo, the dog poo poo in the Jefferies tubes, again. You can smell it everywhere on the ship but we can't find it."
"Can we just seal them up for a week or so? Let the turd dry up? Vent the atmosphere, maybe?"
"Sir, Jeffery lives in there! And you know he won't come out. Ever."

Last time I was on a military plane they had some fancy vacuum that connected to a hole in the floor usually used for dropping stuff.

I can see some engineers coming up with something similar for starship airlocks.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Capn's Support Dog

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
archer struck me as a guy that really wouldn't give a drat about his dog making GBS threads everywhere on the ship. he'd simply ignore it and an ensign would have to clean up the turds as they found them.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Salamanders would be great pets for the captain. Baby salamanders. Just living in a large tank in the captains office.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Just remember any time something in tos doesn't match with literally any other show it's because the temporal war messed stuff up.

naem
May 29, 2011

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Where do I sign up to have statues erected of Worf?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Where do I sign up to have statues erected of Worf?

Minsk

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If Worf found a statue of himself he'd launch it into space or melt it down into weapons or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

If Worf found a statue of himself he'd launch it into space or melt it down into weapons or something.

Statues do one bring one honor, only actions do. :colbert:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

what if it was made by his parents so he has to pretend to like it lmao

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Scans statue with tricorder
Is this made of baakonite?
I'm sorry but there's no honor in this. Please turn this statue into bat'leths, immediately.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think he'd recognize it, like a dog with a mirror.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

Why? It's a fun episode. Trek and Baseball!

I do admit though the Vulcan's dickishness does seem over the top.

We don't see why that Vulcan has a hate boner for Sisko, but it's clear he does. I assume in the Accademy Sisko once got a better score than him on something and he's been spiralling ever since.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Facebook Aunt posted:

We don't see why that Vulcan has a hate boner for Sisko, but it's clear he does. I assume in the Accademy Sisko once got a better score than him on something and he's been spiralling ever since.

Solok was a bigot, that's all. If your ears and eyebrows ain't pointy he doesn't want to be your friend.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Solok was a bigot, that's all. If your ears and eyebrows ain't pointy he doesn't want to be your friend.

Right, but why is he stalking Sisko? To the point of learning a dumb earth game just so he can win it? That's irrational. Dude has a fixation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've got a cat that is grumpy, old, and mostly indifferent to my younger cat. however, when my younger cat starts having a lot of fun playing that really pisses off the old man. i figure that was pretty much solok's deal with baseball.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Right, but why is he stalking Sisko? To the point of learning a dumb earth game just so he can win it? That's irrational. Dude has a fixation.

He was in the same academy class as Sisko, and got into pissing matches with him all the time. Of course he'd find out Sisko's favorite sport and then best him at it. Because he's so very logical and not emotional at all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

And not just himself, which would be one thing. But many members of his crew. At least 8 others, likely more like 10-12. To learn the game at the level they showed would have taken a good amount of practice. So a lot of hours.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Imagine the catty gossip on that Vulcan ship. Their captain made a bunch of them learn a dumb game and go out of their way with dumb uniforms and everything to one up some human.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'll go ahead and say it: Jake's pitching record against the Vulcans was fairly impressive. Allowed a bunch of runs to be sure but he was pitching against essentially atomic Supermen, and in some innings kept them scoreless.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Imagine the catty gossip on that Vulcan ship. Their captain made a bunch of them learn a dumb game and go out of their way with dumb uniforms and everything to one up some human.

I hope there was some rumbling about his logic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The DS9 baseball episode rules. Worf's lines, Rom's actor's baseball background and how they had to handicap him, and it's just fun. Plus the moral victory isn't hammy. They celebrate the accidental score while having a blast and the Vulcan can't stand it.

Voyager in LA in the 90s was pretty fun. Sarah Silverman on Star Trek is a trip. I liked Tuvok's line about how they could have just worn their uniforms and no one would have noticed.

One day they'll accidentally time travel to Comicon and everybody will think they are cosplaying as some obscure anime.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CainFortea posted:

I don't care about the vulcans being dicks I just think there is literally no sport more boring in the world than baseball. I'd rather watch cricket. At least things happen at a pace more than once every 10 minutes.

You made the right call since that episode was actually 56 minutes of baseball and only baseball. There was only commercial break, at the 7th inning stretch.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

I hope there was some rumbling about his logic.

Everyone starts gifting him ceremonial meditation candles as a hint.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Other things that own: the uniforms, and seeing the camaraderie of friends, family and people who work together playing a game and the joy of it all, especially contrasted against some of the really dark stuff that goes down in DS9. Edit - and contrasted against the joyless vulcan bastards who can play but derive no joy from it

i mean come on

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'll go ahead and say it: Jake's pitching record against the Vulcans was fairly impressive. Allowed a bunch of runs to be sure but he was pitching against essentially atomic Supermen, and in some innings kept them scoreless.

He ate up enough innings. Good outing Jake.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

CainFortea posted:

The one DS9 episode I refuse to watch. But yea him. You also see a lot of it in SNW.

The baseball episode is good.

I'd rather watch that then Profit and Lace, ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McSpanky posted:

You made the right call since that episode was actually 56 minutes of baseball and only baseball. There was only commercial break, at the 7th inning stretch.

I skimmed it

I saw some good bits like Odo ejecting people and Death To The Opposition.

But like, I'm not going to expose myself to any more baseball than that. I respect and value my own time.