Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watching bad movies intentionally is goofy behavior. Better to spend one's time on all the great films that are out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bad movies aren't 10-20 hours long like some bad mecha anime are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shame i dont experience every good post ive ever seen when i read chisaur's bad posts

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like i did enjoy the zegapain movie much more than the tv series because unlike the tv series i didn't have to wait until i was four hours in to realize they weren't creative or genuinely forward thinking enough to do anything with the premise i hadn't seen before in other kind of generic and forgettable sci-fi anime and it was mostly going to be a weird morally and thematically confused clown show (it helped that i just skipped most of the movie when i realized a lot of it was a thin excuse to directly reuse animation from the show without actually going anywhere new with it either because it ends on a cliffhanger for the tv series after hitting 90% of the same beats)

yes zegapain is the only mecha anime i've watched recently i have a negative enough view of to use as my example for this

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 3, 2023

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I was going to watch every gundam, but then I started working and school so I couldn’t watch 3 episodes a day. That’s when I decided to just watch good shows instead. I’m working through victory gundam rn (I’m enjoying it) but I’m taking a gundam break for VOTOMS and Thunderbolt Fantasy. Although grad school makes watching anime tougher with all the poo poo you have to do.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Bullbuster is a bad show because they have a cute dog and put it in zero scenes per episode.

It has enough issues to not be strongly recommendable but I do have room in this otherwise excellent season for a show that manages to be a pleasant watch each week.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://x.com/AniTrendz/status/1721834583908614169

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This may seem like a random question, but if anyone here is familiar with the OG 70's Gaiking cartoon, do you know what episode they debut the Face Open gimmick?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Schwarzwald posted:

This may seem like a random question, but if anyone here is familiar with the OG 70's Gaiking cartoon, do you know what episode they debut the Face Open gimmick?

I am not familiar with the OG 70's Gaiking cartoon, but fortunately I bookmarked an Italian website about giant robots that is!

https://www.encirobot.com/index.html

According to the Gaiking section (per Google Translate) Face Open is first used in episode 23.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fantastic! Thank you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The CGI in Sakura Wars: The Movie is pretty rough.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What the-

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2295970/UFO_ROBOT_GRENDIZER__The_Feast_of_the_Wolves/

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Spazer go... Spazer cross.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man, you know what series was sick. Code Geass, gonna mainline that poo poo again.

Love how uncompromising it is with its start, doesn't stop to explain poo poo. One flash of Nunally no stopping the narrative to explain who she is or what she means to my boy Lelouch

Behead Ougi

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 21, 2023

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Gaius Marius posted:

Man, you know what series was sick. Code Geass, gonna mainline that poo poo again.

Love how uncompromising it is with its start, doesn't stop to explain poo poo. One flash of Nunally no stopping the narrative to explain who she is or what she means to my boy Lelouch

Behead Ougi

Season 1 was fantastic, the second season jumped the rails and got rewritten hard, and, if you can find it, Akito the Exiled is a fun ride, even if the ending can only be described as "hella cringe."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Season 2 of Geass is good

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

Season 2 of Geass is good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked Code Geass season 1. Season 2 started at the bottom of a cliff for me and never really recovered.

I think I need a long detox from Okouchi's writing before I go back to any of his other shows. Guy goes for maximum drama every time for better or for worse.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Code geass s1 is sublime. S2 has a strong start and a strong end but the middle kinda sucks.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
R2 gets kinda messy in the middle, but it’s a fun ride to remember some of the wacked-out poo poo. Remember the One Million Zeros scene?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the ending maybe demanded a bit more 'don't think about it seriously, just roll with it' from the audience than I was entirely capable of accommodating.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I liked Code: Geass at the start of season 1, and while it started to lose me around halfway through once I realized what it was going for I was able to have fun with it.

That said, I never bothered with season 2. I felt like I got as from the premise as I was going to get.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 21, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Code Geass and Gundam 00 are both shows that are better if you ignore the existence of their post season 1 content, though that's easier to do with the latter

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
r2 is messy but i never felt like it was bad enough to ruin the entire show even at its worst

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Lelouch of the Re;surrection had the really funny reveal that the villain’s Geass was basically Killer Queen’s Bites The Dust from Diamond is Unbreakable.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i keep forgetting to watch the new code geass stuff

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i keep forgetting to watch the new code geass stuff

Same. Every couple of years I remember they released movies, go download them, and then don't watch them. There's probably like four or five copies on my drive by now.

Arc Hammer posted:

I liked Code Geass season 1. Season 2 started at the bottom of a cliff for me and never really recovered.

I think I need a long detox from Okouchi's writing before I go back to any of his other shows. Guy goes for maximum drama every time for better or for worse.

There's some great poo poo in R2. That final Kallen/Suzaku fight is better than ninety percent of fights in its generation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Someday we'll get an anime adaptation of Nightmare of Nunnaly and I will be a very happy camper because that manga is bugnuts in all the best ways

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

There's some great poo poo in R2. That final Kallen/Suzaku fight is better than ninety percent of fights in its generation.

Mostly because they contrived a reason for them to both lose flight capability and return to the extremely loving cool ground battle style of season 1 instead of the loving awful flight combat from most of R2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I forgot how much I loved C.C. Never even occurred to me the parallel of Epuhie and C.C. both falling into the two main characters life in the same episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOHr_7P4HbM

Its like a cross between Armored Core and Full Metal Panic Arm Slaves

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/strongest_human/status/1729205203780739084?t=e0vEhcUQELh4EThrQBbcmA&s=19

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Let's pool our funds to get a commission for this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ed, Edd, n Eddy would be another good trio to stick in the Getter, a lot of Ishikawa's more goofy faces end up being pretty similar in style to that show anyways

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Ed, Edd, n Eddy would be another good trio to stick in the Getter, a lot of Ishikawa's more goofy faces end up being pretty similar in style to that show anyways

They even perfectly fit the usual Getter Trio, you have the angry hot-blooded leader (Eddy), the intelligent one that has to deal with the rest's poo poo (Edd) and the dumb but kind one that serves as the moral compass of the rest (Ed).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/marvel_tonton/status/1729047405096788335?t=FO4yJQmCxSW7GJ-sZJvESQ&s=19

Armored Core SEED

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

They even perfectly fit the usual Getter Trio, you have the angry hot-blooded leader (Eddy), the intelligent one that has to deal with the rest's poo poo (Edd) and the dumb but kind one that serves as the moral compass of the rest (Ed).

You could even get some alternate pilot sets out of the other kids though at that point you get more into Aquarion territory

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drrockso20 posted:

https://twitter.com/CabooseEdart/status/1729368682134958151?t=UMZQUMGbbJcM0inSHn1Sqg&s=19

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/albert_rbk/status/1729397224277188660

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I gave 86 a three episode try. I think I'll see it through. Initial thoughts:

- Top notch sound design. If I had to describe it it would be like a cross between an explosion and glass shattering. Very crisp and punchy.

- Music is Sawano doing Sawano, for better or worse. This show is not subtle but unfortunately I think that his music pushes things a bit too far into melodrama at times. Lay off the piano, dude, let Theoto yell it's enough on its own to get the point across.

- I like the back and forth between Lena's predator drone operator booth and the hands-on battle depictions among the 86 themselves. A good visual metaphor for the distance between Albans and the carnage outside the walls.

- I felt that episode 3 was kind of the weakest of the trio so far but still watchable. I get that the scenes are meant to juxtapose quiet moments of humanity against the realities of combat but they're rather predictable and I'm getting some IBO flashbacks of people giving a heartfelt speech indicating they're about to die in the next few minutes or next episode. Also the show is laying Kurina's crush on Shin pretty thick which makes me think she's not gonna survive the series because that's just a tragedy being set up early.

- Is there a good in-show reason why the soldiers are all teenagers or am I going with the "it's anime roll with it" hand wave? Kurina mentions her parents will killed by Albans and it's not like fascists don't do incredibly stupid things that handicap their longterm goals (like murdering members of your slave workforce) but I'm wondering if I'll see noncombatant 86'ers or elderly living outside of the Nazi ethnostate walls.

- Speaking of idiotic commanders, the Albans strategy vs the Legion is ripped straight from Zapp Brannigan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDWcg8dh930

If I had to describe the writing I'd say that it's functional and it works to get the point across, but apart from that I kinda wish it had some more flair to it. Oftentimes it feels less like the characters are talking among themselves and more like the show is describing concepts to the audience. I get why it's there because not every teenager watching the show or reading the books is going to be aware of the way military communication works but I feel that with some more care the dialogue could get the point across without feeling like it's describing baby's first flanking manoeuvre.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 5, 2023