Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fart Amplifier posted:

No. He nearly certainly won't. Cannon likely has wide discretion to do all the things she's been doing. Cannon's fuckery is what you need to expect when you elect a person like Trump.

The other trials are not going to be in limbo because of this, but there is a nonzero chance they're delayed past the election for independent reasons.

She’s basically already gone off the reservation awry and is seemingly ignoring all established precedents on how to do a classified documents case.

If she goes ahead and inserts the defense into the as-required by law ex-parte portion of the CIPA process, as she is telegraphing, then it seems like that would be good grounds to appeal and would seem to demonstrate bias on her part.

As a bonus they can add in that when making the scheduling order she was so concerned that Trump get all the time he needs that she completely failed to allocate schedule dates for DoJ. Whoops her bias is showing.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, and she can get away with all of that.

There may be grounds for later appeals, based on things she has done.

I don’t mean to doompost, but this is what we get when Trump administration is allowed to appoint dozens of judges, many deemed unqualified.

It is, in fact, the exact reason they appointed these particular people.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

She’s basically already gone off the reservation

Psst: I'm sure you just don't know but you shouldn't say this.

gregday
May 23, 2003

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, and she can get away with all of that.

There may be grounds for later appeals, based on things she has done.

I don’t mean to doompost, but this is what we get when Trump administration is allowed to appoint dozens of judges, many deemed unqualified.

It is, in fact, the exact reason they appointed these particular people.

And her specifically he appointed after he lost the election. If I have my conspiracy hat on, it’s because he knew there’s a good chance any crimes he committed in his home district would be assigned to her.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Murgos posted:

She’s basically already gone off the reservation and is seemingly ignoring all established precedents on how to do a classified documents case.

If she goes ahead and inserts the defense into the as-required by law ex-parte portion of the CIPA process, as she is telegraphing, then it seems like that would be good grounds to appeal and would seem to demonstrate bias on her part.

As a bonus they can add in that when making the scheduling order she was so concerned that Trump get all the time he needs that she completely failed to allocate schedule dates for DoJ. Whoops her bias is showing.

Jack Smith will likely appeal that and win but there's nothing there to force recusal

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I don't think the other trials are being impacted by Cannon screwing around, and her ability to do so is now extremely limited AFAICT? At most she could, what, schedule something to take place such that another trial gets delayed by a few days? Intransigence on her part lets her delay her case, but that just cleared the field for other trials to happen unobstructed and what she can do about that is just about the sum of 'gently caress' and 'all'.

I guess maybe she could have set it up so her trial starts first and then he sits in her courtroom while she and the defense use whatever means to drag it out so long that the others can't get started in time, but she's still trying to at least LOOK like she's coloring inside the lines, and that level of naked collusion and manipulation would be, uh, not that. Anyway even if that was a credible strategy that ship has long since sailed.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I saw analysis that Fani Willis (the GA election interference prosecutor) waited for Cannon to set her dates so she could set hers, knowing Cannon would be likely to delay. If Cannon tries to delay then there's an obvious lack of available dates, so Cannon's choices are to stick to the April/May date or allow Willis to swoop in with the earlier date in exchange for August.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I expect it’s pretty hard to move a trial date earlier once it’s been set unless ALL the defendants mutually agree.

Ran across this collection of quotes about Trump from his former WH senior staff and appointees and thought it was worth sharing:

quote:

“I think everybody should vote for Joe Biden if they want our democracy to survive,” - Cassidy Hutchinson

John F. Kelly, Trump’s White House Chief of Staff, Homeland Security Secretary and Retired Marine General (Nov. 13, 2023): "A person that thinks those who defend their country in uniform, or are shot down or seriously wounded in combat, or spend years being tortured as POWs are all ‘suckers’ because ‘there is nothing in it for them.’ A person that did not want to be seen in the presence of military amputees because ‘it doesn’t look good for me.’ … A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law. … God help us."

James N. Mattis, Trump’s First Defense Secretary, Retired Marine General (Nov. 13, 2023): "The first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people. … Instead, he tries to divide us."

Mark Esper, Trump’s Second Defense Secretary (Nov. 13, 2023): "He’s unfit for office. … His actions are all about him and not about the country. And then, of course, I believe he has integrity and character issues as well."

Thomas P. Bossert, Trump’s White House Homeland Security and Counter-terrorism Advisor (Oct. 3, 2023): "Trump 'undermined American democracy baselessly for months. As a result, he’s culpable for this [Jan. 6] siege, and an utter disgrace.'"

Alyssa Farah Griffin, Trump’s White House Communications Director (Oct. 3, 2023): "We're all saying the same thing: We worked with him, we know him and we’re telling you, America — this man is unfit to be president. And a second term would be more dangerous than the first."

William Barr, Trump’s Second Attorney General (Jan. 6, 2021): "A very petty individual who will always put his interests ahead of the country’s." He "shouldn’t be anywhere near the Oval Office."

Richard Spencer, Trump’s Secretary of the Navy (Oct. 3, 2023): "Trump 'has very little understanding of what it means to be in the military, to fight ethically or to be governed by a uniform set of rules and practices.'"

Mike Pence, Trump’s Vice President (Jan. 6, 2021): "President Trump also demanded I choose between him and our Constitution. … Anyone who puts themselves over the Constitution should never be president of the United States."

Gary Cohn, Trump’s First Director of the White House National Economic Council (Nov. 19, 2023): "It’s not what we did for the country. It’s what we saved him from doing."

Rex Tillerson, Trump’s First Secretary of State (Nov. 19, 2023): "A moron."

John Bolton, Trump’s Third National Security Advisor (Nov. 19, 2023): "I’ve been in those rooms with him when he’s met with those [foreign] leaders. I believe they think he is a laughing fool."

H.R. McMaster, Trump’s Second National Security Advisor, Retired Army Lieutenant General (Nov. 19, 2023): "A dope."

The Bible
May 8, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Deeper, it is a problem with a justice system that makes it possible for a politician to be tried by a judge they themselves appointed.

Her being on this case shouldn't have been possible in the first place if our justice system had any real concern for justice.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The real issue is that Trump is committing active witness tampering and intimidation but charging him with it would cause even more difficulties than the gag order.
How's that?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Because if you charge him with a crime for witness tampering, you have to start a case and gather evidence and document witnesses, and Trump will scream on Truth about that, and so you have to charge him with witness tampering again and gather evidence and document witnesses and Trump will scream in Truth about that and so you have to charge him with witness tampering again and either

* the process accelerates so fast that at some point you charge Trump with witness tampering for tampering with the witnesses on the same case youre charging him in and the universe disappears in a causality paradox; or

* the process is slow, ever-growing, and never resolves because like Hilbert’s hotel postulate you have to move infinite court dates forward to make space for the infinite new indictments you’re making and while you think maybe that might lead to causality problems the real issue is that at some point Trump dies and it turns out that a full third of the GDP is devoted to prosecuting, defending, or reporting in Trump’s law cases and the economy collapses

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skeleton warrior posted:

Because if you charge him with a crime for witness tampering, you have to start a case and gather evidence and document witnesses, and Trump will scream on Truth about that, and so you have to charge him with witness tampering again and gather evidence and document witnesses and Trump will scream in Truth about that and so you have to charge him with witness tampering again and either

* the process accelerates so fast that at some point you charge Trump with witness tampering for tampering with the witnesses on the same case youre charging him in and the universe disappears in a causality paradox; or

* the process is slow, ever-growing, and never resolves because like Hilbert’s hotel postulate you have to move infinite court dates forward to make space for the infinite new indictments you’re making and while you think maybe that might lead to causality problems the real issue is that at some point Trump dies and it turns out that a full third of the GDP is devoted to prosecuting, defending, or reporting in Trump’s law cases and the economy collapses

And the legal system normally solves this problem by just denying bail. But we can't do that to the big white boy.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And the legal system normally solves this problem by just denying bail. But we can't do that to the big white boy.

Exactly. Denying him bail would not constrain his freedom of speech. They should remand him to the US Marshals until trial.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ynglaur posted:

Exactly. Denying him bail would not constrain his freedom of speech. They should remand him to the US Marshals until trial.

I mean it absolutely would its just that the legal system normally assumes that rights are things only held by rich white people

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump's fraud trial in NY is not going well for him.

Donald Trump has worst day yet in NY civil fraud trial as underling's scribbled note ties him to conspiracy

quote:

Donald Trump had his worst day yet in his ongoing civil fraud trial in New York on Tuesday, and at the hands of his own key witness, a former Trump Organization executive who linked the former president directly to the fuzzy math at the center of the case.

The witness was Jeffrey McConney, Trump Org's ex-comptroller and spreadsheet czar. McConney had been called to the witness stand by the defense, but on cross-examination by lawyers for the state attorney general's office Tuesday, he linked Trump firmly to the conspiracy and fraud counts that have yet to be decided in the non-jury trial.

McConney was handed People's Exhibit 3054, a draft of Trump's net-worth statement for 2014. He was asked to look at his own scribbled note, "DJT TO GET FINAL REVIEW," which he'd written in thin blue ink on the draft's first page.
The particular net-worth statement that McConney was handed the draft for, from 2014, contained $3.5 billion in exaggerations, the AG has alleged.

"Donald Trump would get final review?" the state's lawyer, Andrew Amer, asked McConney.

"That was my understanding, yes," McConney answered from the witness stand, his voice gruff.
Starting with the damage to McConney himself, his blue-ink notations directly contradict his testimony from the prior day.

The spreadsheet czar had testified on direct examination Monday that he would review each year's draft net-worth statement with then-CFO Weisselberg, who would then give the approved draft to the outside accounting firm, Mazars USA, which would print the final statement.

This chain of command — McConney to Weisselberg to Mazars — leaves out one very important link, the state's lawyer, Amer, pointed out on cross on Tuesday.

"I believe there was a step in between, that involved Donald Trump, prior to 2017?" Amer asked McConney, who appeared uncomfortable on the stand as he admitted that Trump indeed did the ultimate signing off.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

This is prettymuch the natural progression of a ruling system that both originated in white supremacy but is too :decorum: to admit it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

So how long do they just keep stacking bad days before something finally happens?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Bible posted:

So how long do they just keep stacking bad days before something finally happens?

Until the trial is over and the judge renders a verdict.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Bible posted:

Everyone's just waiting for him to stroke-out so they can pack up and go home.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Everyone's just waiting for him to stroke-out so they can pack up and go home.

I'd be fine with this. Anything that removes him from the 2024 election is fine.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wow, the defense’s case is going loving awesome for Trump.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The Bible posted:

I'd be fine with this. Anything that removes him from the 2024 election is fine.

If he doesn't die, he's still presumably electable. And far be it from Congress to be so unfair and mean-spirited as to invoke the 25th amendment to declare him incapacitated after Melania places Donald's hand on the Bible and repeats his whispered oaths of office on inauguration day.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I appreciate that McConney, the ex-comptroller in question, looks as much like a comedy character actor as everyone else on the case.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Looks like somebody didn’t see a certain clip from The Wire

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

Looks like somebody didn’t see a certain clip from The Wire

I doubt he would ever watch a show with black people in it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's also not great when your underlings literally break down and cry on the witness stand when YOUR lawyer is questioning them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

cr0y posted:

It's also not great when your underlings literally break down and cry on the witness stand when YOUR lawyer is questioning them.

Nah, that’d have been prepped and staged.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If it was anyone else, I'd agree, but this is turnip

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

McConney also literally cried on the stand today. And this was BEFORE cross-examination.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MrMojok posted:

McConney also literally cried on the stand today. And this was BEFORE cross-examination.

In other testimony McConney is asked why he evaluated Mar-a-lago as a private residence instead of a club? To which he answers, “I don’t recall”. Afterwards he goes on about how he was doing his best evaluations so really, how can you fault him for that?

Isn’t that the crux of issue here though? Mar-a-lago is not a private residence and can not be according to the laws of the state and county where it exists and so your comptroller and cfo making evaluation and then filing it year after year is just fraud.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Murgos posted:

I expect it’s pretty hard to move a trial date earlier once it’s been set unless ALL the defendants mutually agree.

Ran across this collection of quotes about Trump from his former WH senior staff and appointees and thought it was worth sharing:

These people all actively aided and abetted Trumps fascist behavior when he was in office so gently caress em all.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Murgos posted:

In other testimony McConney is asked why he evaluated Mar-a-lago as a private residence instead of a club? To which he answers, “I don’t recall”. Afterwards he goes on about how he was doing his best evaluations so really, how can you fault him for that?

Isn’t that the crux of issue here though? Mar-a-lago is not a private residence and can not be according to the laws of the state and county where it exists and so your comptroller and cfo making evaluation and then filing it year after year is just fraud.
ah, but you forget that trump assured everyone that he could make the "not to be used as a residence" clause go away really easily so it didn't really count.

they've already lost the case, right? this is just to evaluate who is at fault, how much, and what the penalties should be, i thought.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

InsertPotPun posted:

they've already lost the case, right? this is just to evaluate who is at fault, how much, and what the penalties should be, i thought.

Correct. However, defense is still trying to establish their body of evidence with eyes on eventual appeal of the judge's prior determination of liability in addition to appeal of whatever number he hits them with.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Murgos posted:

The remedy exists. Revoke his bail. It won’t cause any more problems than already exists. All it will do is bring it to the surface faster so it can be dealt with.

Deplatforming Trump works and is effective.

It's this. Literally any other defendant you can think of would be cooling their heels in a cell by now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Colorado Supreme Court looks to be taking up the issue of whether he is barred from the ballot in their state.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/colorado-supreme-court-agrees-take-appeal-trump-ballot-case-rcna126293

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sarcastro posted:

Correct. However, defense is still trying to establish their body of evidence with eyes on eventual appeal of the judge's prior determination of liability in addition to appeal of whatever number he hits them with.

The defense is trying to win a public opinion of chudists trial while pissing off the judge enough that he strokes out and does something appealable in a fit of rage.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Charliegrs posted:

These people all actively aided and abetted Trumps fascist behavior when he was in office so gently caress em all.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that? I think the point is to show that fears of a second term being real bad are not unfounded or hyperbole. And hopefully the Biden campaign will be able to run with all this poo poo and chip away at a fence-sitter here and take away a percentage point there. Don't get me wrong, an awful lot of chuds are convinced these are all deep state saboteurs, but if it can keep a few Republicans home next year, then so much the better.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
We may have found out why McConney was feeling so stressed about telling people about all his good accounting for Trump org that it made him cry:

quote:

In emotional testimony Tuesday morning, McConney rattled off his many legal woes — and may have disclosed a new one. He said that he received a subpoena from the Southern District of New York (SDNY) some two hours before he was supposed to testify.

https://themessenger.com/news/trump-org-jeffrey-mcconney-controller-subpoena-trial

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

KillHour posted:

Psst: I'm sure you just don't know but you shouldn't say this.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Until the trial is over and the judge renders a verdict.

Is there a deadline for the end of the trial? The judge must be overseeing other cases that need to be heard soon.