Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Eej posted:

What happened to Snapcaster? Is everything anti GY now

yeah and it dies to orky b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

It's insanely, incredibly outvalued by a ton of MH stuff, not to mention the good cards from the supplementary sets

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kalel posted:

yeah and it dies to orky b

It was irrelevant long before the lotr set

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
paying two mana for an ambush viper just stinks, even if it doesn't cost you a card

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Sickening posted:

This plays better than it looks.

Aspiring Spike agrees. One of his LCI modern brews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwk0invtWAs

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Eej posted:

No, the card in the graveyard is better spent on Murktide Regent.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snapcaster didn't disappear suddenly because of any one card, it has seen less and less play in a slow decline over something like 5 years. It still sees some play even now but it's a lot more likely to be a 1-2 of than a deck defining 4 of.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ban cards until goyf and snapcaster are good in modern again imo

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fajita Queen posted:

Wholeheartedly agree

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

:yeah:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

How long until we get Snapcaster 2, the actually better variation? Rather than countless different but worse versions?

MH3? Longer?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

How long until we get Snapcaster 2, the actually better variation? Rather than countless different but worse versions?

MH3? Longer?

Wotc has heard the community's concerns about the evoke elementals, and they want to do better, so in modern horizons 3 we're getting a cycle of gearhulks with flash, delve, improvise and convoke, each with the same etb abilities as the original kaladesh gearhulks

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

But why

I'd prefer they ban cards those two are good, and then even more cards until they go back to be bad.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fajita Queen posted:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
that format sounds like a snooze fest. just play pioneer if you want that era of modern gameplay

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Fajita Queen posted:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Put goyf and snappy in Pioneer.

Modern players are addicted to free spells and shuffling, there is no hope left for them.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Time posted:

that format sounds like a snooze fest. just play pioneer if you want that era of modern gameplay

The real snoozefest is when I sleep in instead of getting up to play a modern event because I remember what the format looks like.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Goyf still sees Modern play. It's an efficient slab of a creature that can easily beat up value guys.

Snapcaster's problem is that it doesn't really cost 2, and compared to other 3+ mana things it doesn't add up. Fable of the Mirror Breaker, Sheoldred, cascades into Crashing Footfalls, snapcaster flashing back lightning bolt ain't up there no more.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cactrot posted:

The real snoozefest is when I sleep in instead of getting up to play a modern event because I remember what the format looks like.

They should make a ban or two to shake up the format but it would be as bad for the format to have same cards and decks that were good in 2016 be good now. More than one thing can be bad, this idea is one of them and is emblematic of people who want a format to be locked in time and stagnant

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

i mostly want lingering souls and intangible virtue to be good playable again

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think the problem is that, instead of designing for Standard and letting modern evolve organically from the growing card pool, they invented Modern Horizons 2.

I don't think the demand is "ban until snapcaster is good again," it's "stop makong every format MH block constructed"

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think the problem is that, instead of designing for Standard and letting modern evolve organically from the growing card pool, they invented Modern Horizons 2.

I don't think the demand is "ban until snapcaster is good again," it's "stop makong every format MH block constructed"

The format has had way better gameplay outside of when they let scam and hogaak go nuts for too long. I’ll take the mh format those cards were all sick and the games were more competitively balanced, with the above caveat

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Once non-rotating formats overtake rotating ones in popularity, you're going to get endless powercreep (see: YuGiOh).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Time posted:

They should make a ban or two to shake up the format but it would be as bad for the format to have same cards and decks that were good in 2016 be good now.

No it wouldn't

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Time posted:

The format has had way better gameplay outside of when they let scam and hogaak go nuts for too long. I’ll take the mh format those cards were all sick and the games were more competitively balanced, with the above caveat

have there been any significant bans in modern that affected scam? only lurrus and yorion have gone since mh2 came out haven't they?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ilmucche posted:

have there been any significant bans in modern that affected scam? only lurrus and yorion have gone since mh2 came out haven't they?

The format has had additions to it that have pushed out natural predators of the deck, and also powered it up. It was a 5-10% of the meta deck for like a year before it turned into what it is now. Which is why I’m fine with the mh2 cards mostly and would like to peel back some other stuff and see what happens. If that doesn’t work after like 60 days hit something else from it. At 5-10% share it feels like a good “cop” deck in the same way that spirits was for a while, at 25% it produces dogshit tournaments.

I agree with the sentiment that it needs to be taken out and I’m flexible with them going a different route than what I said - just want some variety back in archetypes

Time fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 22, 2023

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ilmucche posted:

MH2 was released in June 2021, Lurrus got banned in March 2022, Yorion got banned in October 2022, Preordain got unbanned in August of 2023.

That's the entirety of the Modern banlist changes since MH2.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
MagicCon Chicago promos (https://magic.gg/news/magiccon-chicago-2024-a-mysterious-gathering):

Entrance promo for buying a badge - Textless Counterspell

Spend $150 or more in a single purchase on merch - Ponder

Modern Secret Lair Showdown:
Participation - Spell Pierce

Top-8 of the first tournament/Participation for the Championships - Murktide Regent

Winner of Championships- Dark Ritual

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

WotC is just telling us Horizons sets aren't going anywhere, and they WILL shake up modern. Especially since the new cards are immune to bans for like 6 months, so I guess you'd better loving stock up on MH3 like a good lil consumer.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I love the textless counterspell so much. Just the perfect face for a counterspell art.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Amp posted:

I love the textless counterspell so much. Just the perfect face for a counterspell art.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ah that ponder is so cool, looks like a jay ryan

I must have a Chicago dog magic card

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
It is just like lol Chicago the card

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I really want that dog ponder and a playset of that dark ritual, even though I'll never replace the best dark ritual art in my pauper deck (it's the mercadian masques ritual, fight me)

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Weird looking dog

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Once non-rotating formats overtake rotating ones in popularity

this happened a while ago

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eej posted:

this happened a while ago

Right. This is just the way things gonna be from now on.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Time to get this printed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
probably my favorite MTGRemy parody since land down under
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swYQrDUfV0U&hd=1