Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it always amazes me how quickly poo poo becomes passe with mountain bikes, as much because companies stop making it as people stop using it. i dont even think my mountain bike would count as one now, it'd be a flat-bar gravel bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also a good bike TBH. And most nice steel rigid MTBs make great commuters for a reason: they're not actually optimized for climbing/downhill, they're just pretty normal flat bar bikes with decent tire clearances.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

What is the thread-recommended half size tailgate pad? I was using towels but somehow stilled chipped my paint at the pinch points.

I was looking at a race face halfstack but stock seems low basically everywhere.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

On the topic of dropper posts, I'm looking to pick one up for black friday. I'm down to choosing between the Kitsune air and oneup V2 posts, does the thread have any goon wisdom or lend? Also looking for a decently-priced remote since those are all sold separately.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
One-up seems to be the go-to dropper from everything I've heard and read.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

REI currently has them for %20 off so SOLD! Much less of a decision when it's a $35 dollar difference and not a $100 one.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

REI currently has them for %20 off so SOLD! Much less of a decision when it's a $35 dollar difference and not a $100 one.

Not sure what you need but OneUp themselves might have a deeper discount.

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/dropper-post-v2?variant=40893810573409

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

You just saved me fifty bucks, thanks!

e. spoke too soon, it's a $4 difference but would arrive a week later. alas!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 18, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The reason I went One-Up was cuz it had a shorter insertion depth (and exposed collar) at 180mm than another post had at 150. And I feel like the 180 is not extreme, so would have missed it with only 150.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

crosspost from the dashcam thread

Cactus Ghost posted:

typical bike-on-car cyclist imo

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

k

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

You just saved me fifty bucks, thanks!

e. spoke too soon, it's a $4 difference but would arrive a week later. alas!

Ah too bad. I’m glad you got a discount, hope this doesn’t take the shine off any.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Cactus Ghost posted:

typical bike-on-car cyclist imo

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/10/09/cyclists-are-better-drivers-than-motorists-finds-study/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S000145751730249X

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Most drivers suck. Doesn't matter if they are bikes. My source is me the bike commuter.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ought ten posted:

Ah too bad. I’m glad you got a discount, hope this doesn’t take the shine off any.

Haha we're good, it seems to be marked down 20% everywhere so there's no extra arbitrage there. I bit off on the price for the 120 which was 50 bucks cheaper than the others. REI gets it in tomorrow though so I'm just sticking with them ;) Thanks for the validation all around.

kimbo305 posted:

The reason I went One-Up was cuz it had a shorter insertion depth (and exposed collar) at 180mm than another post had at 150. And I feel like the 180 is not extreme, so would have missed it with only 150.

I ended up going for a the v2 180 as well even though I don''t currently adjust it more than 4-5 inches. It fits and I figure I'll get used to the extra travel. I could've really used a dropper today, I tried some gnarlier than usual mountain trails and had to stop and manually adjust the seat a few times. Drifting downhill through some gravel-bottomed arroyos was fun as hell though :woop:

Also got a flat because the valve separated from the tube and I couldn't change it because my lever snapped. Had to hike a few miles back but got some nice views out of it. gently caress presta valves though, they've never not given me problems.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

What is the thread-recommended half size tailgate pad? I was using towels but somehow stilled chipped my paint at the pinch points.

I was looking at a race face halfstack but stock seems low basically everywhere.

Hey I just got an IG and for black Friday sales for these at the fox racing website.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I have a Raceface full pad and no complaints but have no experience with any others.

You might check marketplace. I picked mine up "used" for $75. The guy had bought it and then realized his ebikes were too heavy for him to lift.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

absolutely. but the comparison isn't to motorists who aren't cyclists, but rather to cyclists who aren't motorists. car bad, train bike good

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've got the race face fullsize pad and it's been great and no real issues after 2 years of regular use.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

New shock is in and really nice the problem with it now is that I want a new fork. Nice weekend at Bryce, probably my last for the season. Only got to ride new shock there once and spent most of the day taking it easy and adjusting it. Did finally hit a feature that had been in my head for a while, so, progress! Think I should ask for a new rear tire for Christmas. The climb switch is a little loose with no detents so I've flipped it with my leg a couple times (what got my last shock blown up except the lift attendant did it) so I need to figure out a way to protect it. Hopefully the shock will still fit if I rotate the top section so it faces the bike frame. Or I'll just add the remote handlebar kit.

Cane Creek DB Air IL

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Oh my goodness that is a beautiful bike!

I did 10 miles yesterday, my first real ride since my back surgery in September. I felt really, really good! I'm sore today but I'm actually itching to go back out on Thanksgiving, which happens to fall on my birthday this year.

:toot: love riding bikes!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nocheez posted:

Oh my goodness that is a beautiful bike!

I did 10 miles yesterday, my first real ride since my back surgery in September. I felt really, really good! I'm sore today but I'm actually itching to go back out on Thanksgiving, which happens to fall on my birthday this year.

:toot: love riding bikes!

:hellyeah:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cactus Ghost posted:

car bad, train bike good

I've seen it said that mountain biking is a hobby that inherently requires a car, to drive the bike to the trail head. These people seem to either not understand the point of bikes having drivetrains, or they live in some infinite urban/suburban hellscape that they need to drive hundreds of miles to escape. Both cases are alarmingly common, so I usually just assume both. People stuck in those situations just think it's impossible to do it any other way. It's kinda like people that drive their car by themselves to their job and are convinced it's the only possible way to commute.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nah that’s really not fair at all. I’m with you in theory, but in practice the local trails I ride the most are 10+ miles away. It’s a rare day when I have time to ride that far and also ride the actual trail.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Thanks for the insight on the tailgate pads.

Im considering snagging a rockymount for my bed rail but I need to do some measuring first and cobbling together hardware to make it work.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I'm trying to learn a bit more about bike fit and computer vision for a new job. What's the cheapest way to hold my bikes stationary so I can record myself pedaling and (eventually) analyze the fit? Have a mix of boost and non-boost bikes so would like something that can adapt to either.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ought ten posted:

Nah that’s really not fair at all. I’m with you in theory, but in practice the local trails I ride the most are 10+ miles away. It’s a rare day when I have time to ride that far and also ride the actual trail.

imo that's as big a plus for emountainbikes as anything else. zipping along down the road at 25mph makes a lot of trails a lot closer timewise

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ought ten posted:

Agree here. I live practically downtown Denver. I can easily ride to... Ruby Hill I guess.

I have taken the W line a few times to golden with my bike but it is a time sink. I can drive to the two closets trailheads to the train in 15 min. The train is 30 min plus wait time. I do enjoy doing it but can't that often.

I figure we do our part pretty well as a one car family, me a100% bike commuter, and my partner a 50% bike commuter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just buy a 2 million dollar home in Lone Tree, access to the bluffs trail out your front door!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I live in Carbondale and I can get to the Red Hill network pretty easily but those trails are brutal and not always what I want. Next closest network is Prince Creek and it adds another ~30-45 mns on paved surfaces to my round trip that I don't always have. So being smack dab in the middle of an IMBA gold ride center still doesn't always save me from driving to the trailhead.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i mean, yeah, i don't think anyone was under the impression that people were driving their bikes for the pure love of it

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cactus Ghost posted:

imo that's as big a plus for emountainbikes as anything else. zipping along down the road at 25mph makes a lot of trails a lot closer timewise

I should buy an e cargo bike to carry my analog mtb to the trailhead.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ought ten posted:

I'm lucky enough that I live somewhere where I can ride to a number of different trailheads but I know this isn't the case for most people. It's loving amazing to be able to do that though and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'd rather drive 15 minutes and spend all my energy on the fun parts of riding and also not have to worry about cars killing me.

We have people here who swerve into the sidewalk to hit cyclists during commute

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I got into mountain biking precisely because I'm scared of riding in the road now

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

xzzy posted:

Just buy a 2 million dollar home in Lone Tree, access to the bluffs trail out your front door!

The very thought is hurting me.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Jehde posted:

I've seen it said that mountain biking is a hobby that inherently requires a car, to drive the bike to the trail head. These people seem to either not understand the point of bikes having drivetrains, or they live in some infinite urban/suburban hellscape that they need to drive hundreds of miles to escape. Both cases are alarmingly common, so I usually just assume both. People stuck in those situations just think it's impossible to do it any other way. It's kinda like people that drive their car by themselves to their job and are convinced it's the only possible way to commute.

This is privileged, head-in-the-sand nonsense.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Looking to upgrade my hardtail. There's a Canfield Yelli Screamy for sale locally. It's the updated 2022 version and I love the look of it. Anyone have experience with this frame? I've watched the Hardtail Party review and he seemed to really like it which is compelling. Have a Marin San Quentin 2 now but want to move to a 29er and better components.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Hell I frequently throw my road bike in my truck and drive somewhere else to ride it on the road. poo poo gets boring riding the same routes over and over again and if I can drive 10-20 miles to get somewhere new I'll do it. It is also a 20 minute drive to get to what passes for actual mountain bike trails here so yes, I will drive there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's too many options for bikes :negative: I did take a Trek Roscoe 6 for a test ride and liked it a lot, though. It seems like a pretty good combination of parts for the money.