Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Biffa has a rundown of some of the mods in development, linked to timestamp here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbgrqoq_-I&t=827s

Since it's 2023 of course this is all on a Discord instead of a forum where it'd be convenient to keep track of it.

(and also I have to link a video of it because I'm too lazy to take screenshots of a video of screenshots)

Intrigued by that new UI window one, I was hoping it would be flexible enough to add whole new info views and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

immense psychic damage from that thumbnail

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The style of thumbnail that works to get people to click on videos is the biggest divide I feel from the rest of humanity.

But if youtube's your job you gotta play the game.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wasnt it proven that the algo specifically looks for faces with big eyes and such and boosts recommendations based on that? google sucks rear end.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Since it's 2023 of course this is all on a Discord instead of a forum where it'd be convenient to keep track of it.

idk how to tell you this but

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17zoc1u/random_tip_decrease_land_value_and_save/

Something random I came across on Reddit. Use low res to block land value spread. Maybe thats why I can't get any warehouses to work even if they are far away.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

turn off the TV posted:

idk how to tell you this but

Its so nice that discord added a thread feature like 2 years ago

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
CPP just uploaded a custom map he out together for CS2, looks like a huge improvement on existing maps.

May try to download and play along with his new let's play.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Unbound posted:

Its so nice that discord added a thread feature like 2 years ago

to be fair, in that time ive seen exactly 2 discord servers actually use it... and 1 of them is that screenshot.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Cygni posted:

to be fair, in that time ive seen exactly 2 discord servers actually use it... and 1 of them is that screenshot.

I'm a bit biased. The sub.io goon community for CounterStrike2 uses it pretty often for other things, so I figured it was more common. Appologies.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

my experience might not be representative either though, honestly. i mostly use discord for gaming and twitch communities (and my fantasy football league chat lol)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

:psyduck:

There's a whole multi-level production chain in this game?

And the only way I find out about it is from some random redditor making a chart for it??

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah thats what you see when you click on your bank balance, then the Production tab. But in one chart.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Why don't dams work? It looks like it's facing the wrong way for one... But no matter which side it's facing it tells me the water is too low. It's evened out and stopped rising on the reservoir side so it should be working..

I want to like this game, I've not played anything like it since SimCity 2000. But my god why does nothing work

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Why don't dams work? It looks like it's facing the wrong way for one... But no matter which side it's facing it tells me the water is too low. It's evened out and stopped rising on the reservoir side so it should be working..

I want to like this game, I've not played anything like it since SimCity 2000. But my god why does nothing work

bugged my man. Known since day 2 or so. Sorry

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If you place it where you want it and then very carefully level the land such that there’s a very tiny bit of shallow water on the reservoir side of the dam and then dig an absolute hole to hell on the downstream side of the dam, it’ll start to generate power, but the land differential has to be unrealistically massive.

This might sound really confusing and broken, and that’s because it is.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If you place it where you want it and then very carefully level the land such that there’s a very tiny bit of shallow water on the reservoir side of the dam and then dig an absolute hole to hell on the downstream side of the dam, it’ll start to generate power, but the land differential has to be unrealistically massive.

This might sound really confusing and broken, and that’s because it is.

I think I may just wait for a few patches..it's not like I've paid for the game as I'm playing on game pass. But it seems kinda fun when everything works.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dams were a giant pain in the rear end in the first game too, I wouldn't hold out hope for that specifically. I considered them a decorative feature and got power elsewhere.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Without having tried it out, I think for dams to work you need to have the water on the upper level very close to the dam top. When you look at the dam model, there are some visible holes for overflow, and you might need to have the water up to that level.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I remember that being a thing in CS1 as well, the water had to look uncomfortably close to overtopping the dam before it would make power.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Some tips on building the ship docks and creating new shipping route if you are getting the pathfinding failure warning.

You have to extend the shipping channel first so it’s close enough for the dock to slightly modify it as you click build. Building the docks first before you extend the channel will somehow not complete the pathing.

Also looks like they made the error of calling the shipping channel a ‘road’ in the warning when you build it without proper connection to the channel.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

piratepilates posted:

And the only way I find out about it is from some random redditor making a chart for it??
Convenience food doesn't use vegetables and "food" never contains grain???

Honestly the only part I'm surprised about is that it was on reddit instead of hidden away on discord. Stellaris is how many years old and the only way to find out tech requirements is outside the game on the wiki. (I know they have different devs but both are paradox pubished)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
That chart is pretty insightful.

Looking at it, I feel like you would want to prioritize the industries that benefit the final level services over other dead-ends. So focus on rock, oil, and grains to insure those end users get the highest profitability.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

piratepilates posted:

Can all these products be imported?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Issaries posted:

Eight lanes is mass transit enough.
Doh. Completely forgot about mass transit. 100k+ people and still running only with busses.

edit: Did get some MD residential demand by godzillaing 30 squares and built some metros. HDR hasn't improved so far...
Saga continues:

Got finally more HDR built but still struggling with not getting them to level 5. They just don't level up.
Biggest (and only) malus they have is post office sucks, but adding more mail boxes and/or carpet bombing postal buildings does nothing.
Some people say that adding more transportations would help, but they got taxi/bus/tram/metro access nearby and it does nothing.

I (partially) solved my no Office demand. I literally deleted every retail and industrial workplace not tied to a farm/mining/etc.
Now I have 20k unemployed, but got up to 9k HD office squares. I need 12k total for the final building, but that's not happening. Just not enough highly educated people at 130k.
I have 20k in elementary schools and only 1k at high-school, college and university each. :ignorance:

Issaries fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 21, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Looking at it, I feel like you would want to prioritize the industries that benefit the final level services over other dead-ends. So focus on rock, oil, and grains to insure those end users get the highest profitability.

Only if your businesses actually use the resources produced in map instead of importing everything, because simulation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Since you largely can't pick which businesses open except for the raw resource extraction ones, does it really matter?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Unemployment problem (that I caused) solved.

Just extract resources. Earth is full of Stones, Trees and Chicken.
0 commerce and industry outside of special buildings and resource extraction.

It takes a little space though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The way you phrased that makes me imagine chicken mining pits

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well they have to get chicken ore from somewhere

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Nord-Dakota is famous for its chicken veins.

[video type=""]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZxAYMh5vwk[/video]

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I'm literally paying these guys 10% to live here. What more do you need to level up?

Got the final unique office building by paying them off.
Now I'm only missing the 3 HD residential buildings, because they need lvl 5 buildings. That I have 0 off.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Hmm. I think I broke my game.

Earlier I destroyed my industry in a quest for more office space.
Now that I've done the office thing , I decided rebuilt my old industrial district.
Except instead of getting factories and other companies, I only got 100% warehouses.
Warehouses that aren't even in use.
"COMPANY: none. This building is empty and available for rent."

:negative:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Issaries posted:

Hmm. I think I broke my game.

Earlier I destroyed my industry in a quest for more office space.
Now that I've done the office thing , I decided rebuilt my old industrial district.
Except instead of getting factories and other companies, I only got 100% warehouses.
Warehouses that aren't even in use.
"COMPANY: none. This building is empty and available for rent."

:negative:

Did you zone smaller lot sizes, i.e. 2x3, 3x3 etc and wait for them to spawn in before continuing to zone?

I only ask because in my experience of this buggy, botched release, the game seems to want you to zone in those smaller individual lots as you go using the marquee tool and fit them in to your block, rather than just blanket zoning blocks with the fill tool and moving on.

It's probably something to do with the way the game calculates the best fit for the available space, but I'll be honest, after 20-some hours I've rather given up on CS2, I'm back to 1 now and enjoying it much more.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I did bulk zone, but bulldozing everything didn't change anything.

I zoned more industrial in a new spot farther away and got some factories, but still majority of them are still storage.
I'm looking at my production tab and something funky is going on. I'm producing 600 tons of grain, but my deficit of Grain is 140 000 tons.
For some reason I'm importing a lot of food.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poil posted:

Convenience food doesn't use vegetables and "food" never contains grain???

Honestly the only part I'm surprised about is that it was on reddit instead of hidden away on discord. Stellaris is how many years old and the only way to find out tech requirements is outside the game on the wiki. (I know they have different devs but both are paradox pubished)

To be fair most of that was outlined in the industrial Dev Diary, it just didn't have a nice graph.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

Dams were a giant pain in the rear end in the first game too, I wouldn't hold out hope for that specifically. I considered them a decorative feature and got power elsewhere.
That sounds like about half the "problems" I'm hearing about in 2, honestly.

See also the extended conversation about elementary schools in this game, while I was reading it all "... the schools in 1 were also way too big and had no variety and you had to build way too many of them." Same with having to have crematoriums all over the place, and most of the generic industry being smokestack poo poo. Obviously a lot of things were/are just broken, but I think some people forgot what it's like playing 1. (especially unmodded)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
FIX THE MAIL PARADOX!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My commercial districts are constantly complaining about not having enough customers, even though they're all located in busy, high-traffic areas. As far as I can tell they don't actually go out of business or abandon the property though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
This is the best 4 way pedestrian overpass I've been able to come up with. At least in terms of footprint. Anyone have a design they like?

Ditching street level cross walks really helps with traffic.