Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The 6 is the bad one if it's the older frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I love my Trek Roscoe 7 but I don't know poo poo about bikes. The internet told me it's good.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The existing roscoe 6 has 27.5 plus tires which is kind of a dying size. Plus a coil spring fork, cheap wire bead tires, and a QR rear dropout. The 7, 8, 9 have 29" wheels, tubeless tires, air forks, and through axles. Much better to get a 7+

The new "2024" roscoe 6 with the cues drivetrain does have an air fork and through axles and 29" wheels now.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 22, 2023

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Any recommendation for cheap 26” MTB tires? Looking to spend under $60 for the set. I ride mostly on trails, maybe 75% hard pack but also some loose gravel. I also have to ride about three miles each way on pavement to get to the trails so ideally something that isn’t a dog on the road too. I’m currently riding on the no-name tires that came on my 2012 Fuji, so thinking that nearly anything will be an upgrade.

What I’ve look at so far:

WTB All Terrain (already have these on order from REI but after doing some research zi think they might not be aggressive enough for me?)
WTB Trail Boss
WTB Veliciraptor
Kenda Smoke
Maxxis Icon W

Main priorities are durability and handling, in that order. I have a toddler bow and every hour that I spend fixing flats is an hour that I can’t spend on the trails! Willing to go above my budget a bit if it directly correlates with expected durability/flat resistance.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

It would push your budget a touch but Continental Race Kings are really fast rolling for the amount of traction they have. I don't know how they are durability-wise but I've had 'em on my 90's MTB to gravel conversion for over a year with no flats. Running them with tubes FWIW.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

jamal posted:

The existing roscoe 6 has 27.5 plus tires which is kind of a dying size. Plus a coil spring fork, cheap wire bead tires, and a QR rear dropout. The 7, 8, 9 have 29" wheels, tubeless tires, air forks, and through axles. Much better to get a 7+

The new "2024" roscoe 6 with the cues drivetrain does have an air fork and through axles and 29" wheels now.

Didn't even realize the difference between the previous and 2024 Roscoe 6. It was the 2024 version I rode, because it had 29" wheels/air fork/through axles.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

In my area, slightly used 26" tires are basically free on pinkbike as people are clearing out stuff that's sitting around. I would never buy a brand new 26" tire and I assume if you're in any kind of decently sized city it's going to be the same for you. Take a look there and maybe get two great tires for $20 or something.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I’m sure I could save some money buying used but would much rather spend some more to just have REI deliver them to my door instead of dealing with Criaigslist freaks

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kind of a longshot, but is there any way outside of already knowing to identify this frame/fork? Cheap DJ on local facebook, wanted to see what I'm getting into before I offer 75 bucks? It appears to have mounts for rim brakes.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Does anyone have any good tips on getting more confident cornering on berms or is it a case of simply riding more?

I've watched a few good youtube instructional videos and I think I'm just not confident enough to send it through without braking, which only makes it worse!

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

abigserve posted:

Does anyone have any good tips on getting more confident cornering on berms or is it a case of simply riding more?

I've watched a few good youtube instructional videos and I think I'm just not confident enough to send it through without braking, which only makes it worse!

Visit the local skate park and pump around the pools?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

There's a pump track like a 5 min ride from my house. That's probably the strategy surely

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

abigserve posted:

Practice with less speed then add more over time if that's getting in your head. I find a lot of the confidence in berms comes with understanding how much traction my tires have. Weighting the front tire with your body helps with that as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hope this doesn't sound preachy or anything but I have some thoughts about berms and cornering, mostly these are things that better riders have passed along to me.

Think about keeping your bike perpendicular to the surface, and also make sure you aren't making a v-shape path through the berm - you want to enter with the start of the berm and let your speed sort of dictate how high up in the berm you need to go. Your path through the corner should be a U shape instead of a V.

In every corner (berm or no, and this applies to bikes, motorcycles, cars, etc) you want to get in the habit of looking to the exit of the corner as much as you can. Your head should be turned and your eyes should be looking for where you're going to place your bike on the exit. Take a look at some racing replays and you'd be amazed how far forward they're looking in corners.

The other thing that I think you already mentioned is that you absolutely can't brake in a berm and also ride it correctly. Braking will make the bike want to stand up vertically, the opposite of that you're aiming for! It also uses some % of your available traction for braking forces and not for lateral gripping forces which you'll need for cornering.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Casu Marzu posted:

Didn't even realize the difference between the previous and 2024 Roscoe 6. It was the 2024 version I rode, because it had 29" wheels/air fork/through axles.

mate of mine had the previous Trek Roscoe with the QR rear and he was fiddling with it all the drat time, it would pop sideways on poorly-judged landings when he was jibbing about. He tried better skewers and stuff but it was genuinely a bit of a headache for him.

I know you were looking at the newer one but just another warning on the pile for anyone that finds a bargain price on the older spec.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

VelociBacon posted:

Your head should be turned and your eyes should be looking for where you're going to place your bike on the exit.

These are all excellent tips. In addition to pointing your eyes at the exit, you can also think about pointing your hips at the exit. This is a mental shortcut that will help with the more subtle bits of weight distribution in the turn.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

PSA: The Polygon Siskiu T8 is on sale for $1799 for black Friday.

https://www.bikesonline.com/polygon-siskiu-t8-dual-suspension-mountain-bike~21415

Hard to find anything else that even comes close to the component level on this bike for the money. Fox shocks and Shimano SLX drive train

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is a sick deal. I will say one guy in my ride crew has a polygon and he tends to have way more issues than everyone else for some reason. Not sure why.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Look through corners. Imagine your belly button is a flashlight and point it where you want to go. Try to ride the steepest spot of the berm, that is where you will get the most support (usually the top). Try to do all your braking before you enter the corner. Fabian Barrel had some really good cornering stuff up on YouTube.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i need an 1800 bike like i need a hole in my head but god thats tempting

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Scrapez posted:

Hard to find anything else that even comes close to the component level on this bike for the money. Fox shocks and Shimano SLX drive train

I've been tracking short travel full suspension bikes for a while, where the T8 is on the high end of travel for what I want (Polygon has a D7 with 120mm travel, $1200, but the spec is worse).
Besides component spec, suspension design and how it rides in reviews matters to me. And looks, too!

Here's part of my spreadsheet:

While Polygon advertises Schwalbe tires in some of the ad copy, the component breakdown lists Vee tires. Granted, with the way supply chains are, these might not be the only substitutions at play.

The Canyon Spectral 125 has a similar value prop. I'd argue better when the T8 wasn't on sale and was also $2000.
What it has on the T8:
- Maxxis tires
- Deore cassette, which likely matters more to shift performance over the T8's Sunrace, compared to the T8's SLX RD over the Spectral 125's Deore RD
- Deore series brakes instead of T8's off series levers and brakes
- RaceFace rims, which are narrower but at least branded
- slightly higher tier RockShox shock

Its deficits to the T8:
- unknown hub (I'm a big points of engagement loser, so not knowing whether there's an upgrade is a downside). The D462SB seems to be upgradeable
- shifter and RD as mentioned
- the big one: that RockShox 35 Gold RL. Never ridden one but reviews seem to confirm it's a mid tier in the sense that it's halfway between a serious near-$1000 fork and the 32mm elastomer fork on a Walmart hybrid. Something comparable to a nicer Suntour

For me, that last one doesn't matter as I was planning on swapping my Trust fork over, but it's by far the worst part if you're planning on riding stock.
I was also planning on swapping my old crank over, which is why the comparo doesn't list it. Both have Deore series cranks, but the Spectral's is the direct mount variant.

All that said, despite it being ugly, I had my eyes set on the Ripley AF because of the overwhelming amount of positive reviews on how it rides. And part of what you're paying for is that Fox Performance level suspension.
It's even shorter travel compared to the T8, but I would wager not necessarily less capable.
(Another personal upside is that I can swap my nice 31.6mm dropper over, which makes up some of the difference in price).

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 24, 2023

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What are some good externally routed droppers? I want to get one for my gen 2 marlin which is the gen that didn't have the openings.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
probably one of these?

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/colle...1-6mm-diameters

you need a lever too. I think the pnw one is decent.

KS probably still makes a couple of external versions too. Then if you want to get fancy and spend an absurd amount of money there's the wireless rockshox dropper.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I've been tracking short travel full suspension bikes for a while, where the T8 is on the high end of travel for what I want (Polygon has a D7 with 120mm travel, $1200, but the spec is worse).
Besides component spec, suspension design and how it rides in reviews matters to me. And looks, too!

Here's part of my spreadsheet:

While Polygon advertises Schwalbe tires in some of the ad copy, the component breakdown lists Vee tires. Granted, with the way supply chains are, these might not be the only substitutions at play.

The Canyon Spectral 125 has a similar value prop. I'd argue better when the T8 wasn't on sale and was also $2000.
What it has on the T8:
- Maxxis tires
- Deore cassette, which likely matters more to shift performance over the T8's Sunrace, compared to the T8's SLX RD over the Spectral 125's Deore RD
- Deore series brakes instead of T8's off series levers and brakes
- RaceFace rims, which are narrower but at least branded
- slightly higher tier RockShox shock

Its deficits to the T8:
- unknown hub (I'm a big points of engagement loser, so not knowing whether there's an upgrade is a downside). The D462SB seems to be upgradeable
- shifter and RD as mentioned
- the big one: that RockShox 35 Gold RL. Never ridden one but reviews seem to confirm it's a mid tier in the sense that it's halfway between a serious near-$1000 fork and the 32mm elastomer fork on a Walmart hybrid. Something comparable to a nicer Suntour

For me, that last one doesn't matter as I was planning on swapping my Trust fork over, but it's by far the worst part if you're planning on riding stock.
I was also planning on swapping my old crank over, which is why the comparo doesn't list it. Both have Deore series cranks, but the Spectral's is the direct mount variant.

All that said, despite it being ugly, I had my eyes set on the Ripley AF because of the overwhelming amount of positive reviews on how it rides. And part of what you're paying for is that Fox Performance level suspension.
It's even shorter travel compared to the T8, but I would wager not necessarily less capable.
(Another personal upside is that I can swap my nice 31.6mm dropper over, which makes up some of the difference in price).

Great write up and comparison. Agree on all points you made. I looked at all the same bikes for my wife and came down to the Canyon and Polygon. There was a well spec'd Fezzari in the mix as well. She'll be staying with stock suspension so that was the key that tipped it in the T8's favor plus being a couple hundred dollars less.

FWIW, her T8 was delivered today and had the Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires. I'm very impressed with the bike for the money. Like it's absurd really how good of a bike it is for the money. The purple paint is sick as well. I'll post some pictures tomorrow as I got a new to me used hardtail today and it's sick. There was no time for pictures today as we hit the trails immediately.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

brand engager posted:

What are some good externally routed droppers? I want to get one for my gen 2 marlin which is the gen that didn't have the openings.

Fox Transfer has an external option. It's a bit slow and has been catching 2cm before full extension, and it bugs me that I can't pump it up.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Maybe they got rid of it, I don't see an external version on their site. Anyways for sizing I guess it should be the longest travel length that can still be fully inserted into the seat tube, and then raise the collar so it's at the right height while fully extended? Ideally the full travel + collar would be the exact height I have my current post set at, but that might be in between sizes and the mounting spots on the tube could get in the way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

brand engager posted:

Maybe they got rid of it, I don't see an external version on their site.

Hmm, must be. Only old stock out there
https://www.backcountry.com/fox-racing-shox-transfer-performance-series-dropper-seatpost-collar-routing

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Does the transition spire bob like hell and feel like a bad climber? I rented one today and I couldn’t believe it. I thought maybe it’s a setup issue but the shop did take my weight and the bike felt good on the DH. FYI there is now pretty good mountain biking in Maui.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

n8r posted:

Does the transition spire bob like hell and feel like a bad climber? I rented one today and I couldn’t believe it. I thought maybe it’s a setup issue but the shop did take my weight and the bike felt good on the DH. FYI there is now pretty good mountain biking in Maui.

Isn't Kona from Hawaii? Could be wrong and maybe it's just a cool name for a cali company or something.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't Kona from Hawaii? Could be wrong and maybe it's just a cool name for a cali company or something.

It's originally a British Columbian company. The branding certainly didn't play into that much.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

n8r posted:

On Haleakala or the west side?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Anyone have good recommendations for elbow/knee pads and a full face? I'm riding more than I expected (twice a week at least...) so I should really be as protected as possible even though I'm not hitting anything too hard. I read a story on reddit about a guy loving splitting his face open going over a small jump and I was like man - gently caress that!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

abigserve posted:

Anyone have good recommendations for elbow/knee pads and a full face? I'm riding more than I expected (twice a week at least...) so I should really be as protected as possible even though I'm not hitting anything too hard. I read a story on reddit about a guy loving splitting his face open going over a small jump and I was like man - gently caress that!

You can split your face open walking outside so ofc you're going to see someone somewhere having the worst day of their lives doing literally anything...

For pads it's really something you have to go try on - someone else might find something super comfortable only for you to hate it. I find the same with helmets. All this gear is going to be tested by third parties and it's all going to work so pick whatever you're actually going to use because it's comfortable enough that you don't mind.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Helmets you kinda have to try on too. Try to order through LBS so you can choose just not to buy it if the fit is bad. I had a hell of a time finding something that fit my watermelon head and the only thing that fit the bill was a fox proframe i've been very happy with. I use it at the downhill park but am not doing much in the way of jumping or fast tech so its lightness isn't an issue. Already on my 2nd one and no concussion from ruining the first so thats about as good a review as I could give.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

abigserve posted:

For full-face, you have to try it on. What fits well for one person will fit horribly for another. Note that they all come with a variety of pads to adjust the fit, but there's no guarantee that you can adjust any given helmet to actually fit you well.

I really like the newer lightweight full-face helmets; less weight and more venting is huge for being able to happily use your helmet in a variety of conditions. I particularly love the Troy Lee Designs Stage helmet. I can confirm that they work, too -- I'm on my third, having "used" two of them in crashes. But it might fit you horribly!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I highly recommend the Fox Proframe helmet; it’s a comfortable, light, full-face that I don’t mind wearing even for long XC rides.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

vote_no posted:

I highly recommend the Fox Proframe helmet; it’s a comfortable, light, full-face that I don’t mind wearing even for long XC rides.

I have a friend who loves this helmet but every size of it fits me like poo poo. You gotta try 'em on, OP!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I'll definitely try a few on; the comfort on longer rides is the biggest thing I'm worried about for sure.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I run Leatt knee pads and really like them. They have perforation that allows air through to your legs which really helps with heat.

Can't speak to their protective properties as I haven't crashed in them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Picked up this beauty Saturday. 2022 Canfield Yelli Screamy.

Nice build that a local shop mechanic did. Grabbed it for a very fair price and it looks to have been barely ridden. Really loving the bike. Being a 29er, it rolls over things so much better than my Marin San Quentin did. Much higher spec components throughout. Just feels like a quality bike.