Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

A couple of really old games I played like once during my childhood on friends' computers came to mind today, but I haven't been able to figure out what they were. I think I would have encountered them around 1990 or earlier.

The first one was a sidescrolling space-themed shooter, I'm pretty sure it had the cyan/magenta/white CGA palette and probably on a DOS system. I remember your ship could shoot a forward show or drop bombs to hit ground targets, and possibly also that the forward shot had a limited firing rate but the bombs didn't. I remember the graphics being pretty simple and clean - might have even been text-mode, come to think of it.

The second one I think was on the MSX or a similar computer - I remember the keyboard had an unusual diamond-shaped set of arrow keys - and the player controlled a thief running around a maze, being pursued by cops or guards or some sort. The graphics were very simple, and there was a gimmick that you could only see a certain area around the player character, everything else was blacked out. I'm not sure if this was the whole game or just a segment of something more complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Crazy Achmed posted:

The first one was a sidescrolling space-themed shooter, I'm pretty sure it had the cyan/magenta/white CGA palette and probably on a DOS system. I remember your ship could shoot a forward show or drop bombs to hit ground targets, and possibly also that the forward shot had a limited firing rate but the bombs didn't. I remember the graphics being pretty simple and clean - might have even been text-mode, come to think of it.

Some sort of Scramble clone? The arcade version didn't have unlimited firing rate of the bombs though.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

Just going to guess Sopwith1 or 2, because it still rules.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Crazy Achmed posted:

A couple of really old games I played like once during my childhood on friends' computers came to mind today, but I haven't been able to figure out what they were. I think I would have encountered them around 1990 or earlier.

The second one I think was on the MSX or a similar computer - I remember the keyboard had an unusual diamond-shaped set of arrow keys - and the player controlled a thief running around a maze, being pursued by cops or guards or some sort. The graphics were very simple, and there was a gimmick that you could only see a certain area around the player character, everything else was blacked out. I'm not sure if this was the whole game or just a segment of something more complex.

R-Type and Metal Gear

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Chubby Henparty posted:

Just going to guess Sopwith1 or 2, because it still rules.

Yeah I would also guess Sopwith.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If it's Sopwith, there's an SDL port in active development. https://fragglet.github.io/sdl-sopwith/

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Thanks, it could well have been sopwith! I guess the black sky background might have made me remember it as a space-themed game.

The other one definitely wasn't metal gear, I'm pretty sure the background maze was more or less abstract rather than made to look like a real place, and that you played as a thief being chased by cops.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Wow, another game I had no memory of playing until seeing the footage linked here. Yeah, I recall Sopwith being very cool but also very, very difficult for little child me.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Boyfriend wants to remember a browser based MUD he played around 2005. All he's able to tell me is that there was combat in the forest and the in game economy was broken and quickly escalated to ridiculous numbers. Basically, it was a MUD.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Killingyouguy! posted:

Boyfriend wants to remember a browser based MUD he played around 2005. All he's able to tell me is that there was combat in the forest and the in game economy was broken and quickly escalated to ridiculous numbers. Basically, it was a MUD.

Deathmasters, and Legend of Red Dragon are the ones I remember. They are older than that but available at that time.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Killingyouguy! posted:

Gemstone IV came out around that time, though if I remember right it was just the old version with a new engine. There was a forest right outside the main town that was the first place you went after the sewers. I think you were fighting hobgoblins there? So if that rings a bell for him, might be Gemstone.

Also it's somehow still going, holy poo poo.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I watched an LP on YouTube of a truly weird game and for the life of me I can't remember its name.

I watched it 10+ years ago, but the game looked older than that. You were a dude I guess, who had to defeat 6-10 (somewhere in there I think) demons to rescue a girl each was holding captive. There was a map of hell, or maybe each demon had his own map of his area of hell. The map was a top down look at a tunnel system where you would travel from room to room getting energy, and then when ready you'd run yourself into the boss who would be wandering around the map as well. When you started the boss fight, it would go to first person and you'd be in a boss arena and each boss had some gimmick to defeat him. Some you lured into a trap, some were weak to a certain type energy. The demons were much bigger than the player and they had a body horror vibe to them. Also, there might have been multiple colors of energy. And you could like fill up items or plants or some stuff with the energy and it would do something.

Once you defeated a demon, a scene would play of the girl thanking you, or disappearing, or something. I think there were multiple endings, and if you got the good ending you got a scene of some depressing looking city.

I could have dreamt any of the above details, or maybe the entire thing is an invention of my mind. Let me know if I'm crazy. Thanks.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Void by Ice Pick Lodge

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Have to be The Void yeah, and man now I want to hunt down that game and finish it! :argh:

edit: Oh hey its on steam for 10€

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 9, 2023

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The Void was a game alright. I remember having to download a no-head-bob mod for it, otherwise it would give me terrible motion sickness while playing.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
The Void, this is it. Thank you all very much. I'm going to watch an LP, maybe see if I can find the one I saw back in the day to see how much of what I remembered was real and how much I made up. Obviously I remembered enough for you to identify it though. Thanks for that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's likely the video LP by CannibalK9: https://lparchive.org/The-Void/

I watched it back in the day, bought the game on Steam when it was on sale and went "that'll do, game, that'll do". Never even considered installing it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

It's likely the video LP by CannibalK9: https://lparchive.org/The-Void/

I watched it back in the day, bought the game on Steam when it was on sale and went "that'll do, game, that'll do". Never even considered installing it.

This was exactly it.

Leldorion
Jan 26, 2007
I'm looking for an indie game named something like "star runner" which predictably had a running star in I think sonic-esk levels and boss fights that forced scrolling. There was a smb3 like overworld and notably it had expired copyright music of the big band and blues variety, maybe some jazz. It was made around the mid 2000's. The problem is the name is so generic and I don't even know if there's a legitimate way to grab it now.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Leldorion posted:

I'm looking for an indie game named something like "star runner" which predictably had a running star in I think sonic-esk levels and boss fights that forced scrolling. There was a smb3 like overworld and notably it had expired copyright music of the big band and blues variety, maybe some jazz. It was made around the mid 2000's. The problem is the name is so generic and I don't even know if there's a legitimate way to grab it now.

https://wherecouldtom.be/games/runman/download.php

runman: race around the world

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

as a cool dude who likes to support cool games but is also a bad person who likes leeching off society, I'm conflicted

Leldorion
Jan 26, 2007
That was quick, thanks for the help!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I forgot the name of a game I played once: it's free, for PC, most of the screen taken up by a map of the world. You play as a rogue AI, and your job is to evolve by spreading through the world's network of computers (to start with), but if you act too aggressively, you risk getting discovered and hunted or destroyed by the humans.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

doctorfrog posted:

I forgot the name of a game I played once: it's free, for PC, most of the screen taken up by a map of the world. You play as a rogue AI, and your job is to evolve by spreading through the world's network of computers (to start with), but if you act too aggressively, you risk getting discovered and hunted or destroyed by the humans.

It sounds like you're talking about Plague Inc, but I guess I'm wrong since that's about being a biological virus, not a technological virus, but I figured I should mention in case it's just memories playing tricks on you. Maybe look up Plague Inc clones?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

doctorfrog posted:

FutureCop posted:

It sounds like you're talking about Plague Inc, but I guess I'm wrong since that's about being a biological virus, not a technological virus, but I figured I should mention in case it's just memories playing tricks on you. Maybe look up Plague Inc clones?

Yeah, this sounds EXACTLY like Plague Inc - if it isn't just a mod for computer viruses instead of biological diseases, then it's so closely inspired that it should be a good starting place.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Endgame: Singularity?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This was it, thank you!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
PC game from the '90s, I guess you'd call it a first person action role-playing game, similar to the first Elder Scrolls game. All I remember is you started out in a big walled medieval city and some of the buildings you could go into had a lizard man walking around in a cell behind bars, and the game box came with a big fold out map of the town.

Not much to go on I know.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Human Tornada posted:

PC game from the '90s, I guess you'd call it a first person action role-playing game, similar to the first Elder Scrolls game. All I remember is you started out in a big walled medieval city and some of the buildings you could go into had a lizard man walking around in a cell behind bars, and the game box came with a big fold out map of the town.

Never played them but my shot in the dark guesses are:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/5058/world-of-aden-thunderscape/
or
https://www.mobygames.com/game/3413/nemesis-the-wizardry-adventure/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Human Tornada posted:

Ancients?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Not it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

King's Field?

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
It's not one of the old Might & Magic games is it? (Not Heroes of Might & Magic, that's a spinoff strategy type game.) I think I remember those often being in a town/city at the start. And these were real-time, so would probably have been similar to Elder Scrolls, though you played as a party and not as a single character.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Could be Might and Magic 6. As I recall it comes with a map of New Sorpigal, and I think there's a prison as well, though I don't recall a lizard man.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
You had said "similar to the first Elder Scrolls game", but could it have actually been Daggerfall or Arena? Daggerfall had large medieval style towns to explore and Argonian slavery is a thing in the Elder Scrolls world.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

Maybe one of the Realms of Arkania games?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Human Tornada posted:

By "action" do you mean that it is real time instead of turn based? Or that it has free movement instead of a grid?
Might be one of the wizardry games, if not. Or Ultima underworld (2), if by city you mean dungeon city.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

Maybe Land of Lore?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

Legends of Valour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
A PC game, in the vein of Wizardry. All I remember is that one of the classes was this strange elephant people who were good for magic roles because they had a racial that let them regenerate HP, and I think there was a minor boss called Captain Bloodbeard. And that the most powerful spell was basically shooting a liquid blast of gore at enemies.